[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ask a Mechanic anything Its been a while since ive done this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6
File: The Red k15.jpg (103 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
The Red k15.jpg
103 KB, 1000x750
Ask a Mechanic anything

Its been a while since ive done this

Whenever I do these it gets a bit hectic so just know I will try and get back as soon as possible
>>
>>685553637
i have a stuck spindle nut on my infiniti. I've torched it and broke 2 breaker bars. am i fucked?
>>
Thoughts on the reliability and snow capabilities of an '06 330xi? I'm purchasing something to go out to North Dakota with and I'm making sure to do all of my research.
>>
>>685553920
What is the spindle nut on?
>>685553949
BMW is really nice with performance and reliability. Snow really depends on the driver though and sometimes the tire. However, if things break on it, have some money set aside. They get spendy
>>
>>685554489
the spindle nut's on an 03 m45 driver rear axle
>>
>>685554728
Have you tried oxyacetylene?
>>
>>685554930
nope, just the propane garbage. I have no idea where to get that stuff or how much it costs.
>>
>>685553920

grind a notch in it and crack it with a chisel
>>
>>685555054

Rust laughs at propane bro
>>
why am i too lazy to synch the new sensors on my jeep by finding TDC and adjusting my OPDA?
>>
Where can I get a radiator for a 1964 Volkswagen bettle?
>>
>>685554728
Lol, not op but...
Does that car have a reverse thread on one side?
Some manufactures have reverse thread on driver side so it tightens instead of loosen in forward rotation.
>>
whats your credit card info
>>
>>685555054
Id find out and go for that. It is very high temp burning and can cut through things if needed.
>>685555094
Yes and no. If you notch it and hit it up a bunch and it doesnt move, good luck getting a wrench/socket back on there
>>685555255
Why do I not fix the bearings in my steering column on a 1992 f150? No fucking idea.
>>685555359
Google it. Or CarID.com
>>685555389
Some can do that yes. It Is so fucking dumb. The last people to do that was dodge.......in the 70s......
>>685555835
4567fuckoffmyshit
>>
>>685555389
I'll try that, thanks mate. if not OP's solution will hopefully work
>>
Lol he didn't catch the Volkswagen joke...lame
>>
>>685556143
Nope. Not at all. What am I missing?
>>
Volkswagen didn't have radiators in those years they were air cooled
>>
>>685556365
Ah. I deal with domestics mainly so that is where I am getting confused. (I work for chevy)
>>
God damn. These threads usually light the fuck up....
>>
>>685556777
Saturday night.
Adults are at the bar, kids are asleep.
All that's left is basement dwellers that don't drive.
>>
>>685554489
Noted. I grew up in New England. With the right car, snow is my bitch.
>>
>>685553637
So you're just a mechanic, not an Automotive Technician?
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 1334x750
What do you think about a vf commodore ute and a fg falcon ute? Any major problems with these cars that you see
>>
I raised my traction bars half way for some extra front end clearance, I've always been told not to run them to high...what's your opinion on raising them?
>>
Torscion*
>>
>>685557890
>Traction bars for front end clearance
Eh wut? Do you mean Torsion bars?
>>
Yeah,fucking auto correct.
>>
97 Grand Marquis. Leaking intake manifold led to code p0430 (low cat efficiency). Will it burn off or should I try cleaning the cat before replacing?
>>
>>685557512
Same thing. One is just easier to say
>>685557543
Seems like it would have some uneven weight distribution, like a truck. Low ground clearance, and, personally, I think they look awful. However, I see them being like the old school el caminos in that they won't have too rough of a ride. Just expect there to be recalls. No way that it is perfectly fine as is.
>>685557890
Don't move them too much. They are there to maintain weight. Not adjust ride height. What vehicle is it?
>>
Is 167k miles too many to buy a 1996 Tacoma with?
>>
>>685558574
A Mechanic is NOT an Automotive Technician.
>>685558632
Not at all, if the vehicle is properly maintained
>>
I'm doing a rebuild of an AMC 242 engine and after I install the pistons I put some oil in the cylinders and let it sit overnight hoping it won't leak (testing the seal). It leaks every time. How do i get this to stop? The machine shop mic'd everything and it's standard size, and so are my pistons and rings
>>
1999 Ford explorer sport 4x4 ,oh yeah and after a couple of miles my overdrive turns off...I thought the automatic 4x4 might have ducked with something
>>
>>685553637
race fag here with money to blow. And i need a new project i have a few questions
>1
Im planning on loading a 572 crate engine in a seville, this exact looking one
Would i need to widen the engine house?
>2
If i had a fully driveable 572ci seville, what would you rate this sleeper status
>paint
Battleship grey
>wheels
Rust stock
>tires
Deep as fuck to the inside, im looking at making the back wheels conceled yet wide as hell....like viper wide
>3
is this too much power for a stock frame seville? Would i need to strengthen the frame?
Name? The SS. Landcruiser
>4
Your thoughts on this purposefully weird project?
>>
>>685558784
That being said, as a person reasonably inexperienced with working on cars, what should I look for or check before and after test drive?

The only things I've done are change oil, change a fuel filter, and change a main fuel relay.
>>
>>685558523
Don't bother to clean the cat. If it is bad, replace it. If the intake is leaking, assuming it is air intake, then that should have little effect on that converter.
>>685558632
FUCK NO!!! but, keep in mind, a low miles old vehicle can have problems. Like leaking hoses and bad bushings because rubber falls apart over time, not use. Along with internal rubber seals to the engine. Be mindful.
>>685558784
Than fine. Im a tech.
>>685558785
There should be specs on clearance for those things. Try and find them.
>>685558933
Like it downshifts? If it does, then 4x4 is not the issue. It goes to a transfer case when in 4x4 to supply power to the front wheels. It shouldnt downshift.
>>
Bump for seville sleeper
>>
Or an Eldorado not sure which would be better for sleeper status
>>
>>685559392
It was leaking coolant into the cylinder. It was at the thermostat/crossover gasket area and getting sucked into the engine.
>>
Lol forgot about the transfer case...but the overdrive kicks off...I turn it off and it kicks right back in then off after a couple miles...didn't sound like the trans, electrical maybe?
>>
>>685560063
Not op... I had overdrive issues that went away after changing the trans filter.
>>
Thanks I'll check that out
>>
>>685559093
1. That is something you need to mock up when it comes in. Mixing and matching parts and cars never goes simple. You may need to cut and grind a bit.
2. 5/10 to be expected from an older car but completely out of the blue

Don't like the gray. Too bland.

3. Id say if the ride height of the vehicle falls down drastically while it is just sitting still, id do some adjustments. Otherwise, as long as it is secure to the frame, it could work. Id be careful with frame twist though. No idea how to prevent that.
4. A great project. I have one myself. Restoring a 69 stingray.
>>685559821
Old cars people come to see as highly tunable so when I hear a loud old car come by, i expect it to have some wild shit under the hood.
>>685559846
You have tried a new gasket? and torqued it down evenly?
>>685560063
So im assuming this is going from 5th gear to 4th gear. Could be electrical to one of the shift solenoids and something telling it to downshift because [this this and this] matched up to a downshift scenario. When does this happen? at what RPM?
>>
>>685559093
Fucking heresy
>>685559174
check the oil, look at everything underneath for rust, listen for any weird noises on the test drive, and then check the tranny fluid after the test drive if it's an auto, obviously you'd know if something feels wrong on the test drive
>>
I have a 2012 dodge durango citadel and sometime when I hit the start button it will start, and then a few seconds later die. If I hit the button again it dosnt start at all. I have to turn it back off completely and then try again. Any idea why?
>>
>>685553637
Sometimes the clutch gets stuck so i have to push it again...why could it be?
>>
File: P3300068.jpg (897 KB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
P3300068.jpg
897 KB, 2272x1704
>>685560685
69 Stingray? Fuckin noice m8. I'm working on a 68 Lincoln Continental right now
>>
>>685559174
Does anything make noise around turns, on bumps, how much does the vehicle bounce on every bump, is there a vibration at slow, cruising, or highway speed, does the vehicle pull to one side, etc. Each one of these things means something could be wrong. This isnt something I can really teach over 4chan with just typing, unfortunately
>>
>>685553637

Im kind of looking into buying a pickup truck.

Any you would recomend? Prefereably reliable ones?
>>
>>685560685
The intake is fine now. But the cat code keeps coming back. So I know the cat was contaminated with coolant. Is this something that will burn off or did it kill the cat?
>>
>>685553637
How can i get a pro mechanic to take a side job from me? Like he works in my garage on a weekend for a few hours, i buy the parts, and pay him triple whatever he makes at his garage hourly?
>>
>>685558933
Cat converter. Also recommend flushing transmission and replacing trans cooler(not expensive).
>>
>>685553949
Not the mechanic, but minnesotan here. Snow capability is winter tires on heavy steelies first, narrowest tires and highest sidewall your car can take second, and AWD third. All three of those and youre unstoppable. But the first two together are way better than AWD.
>>
>>685560685
The paintjob for the seville is battleship blue grey, and i have a guy who can paint detailed rivets to look like an old b52 bomber side. Twist frame is what i am worried about. Also with the 572 the stock is just sick, my father is going to custom make some exhaust for the project and i want it to either be side port, or back where i can switch from 1. Muffled to hell silence...to 2. Open...full open with a switch
The sides of the back will conceal the wide as hell tires im loading in. The name isnt landcruiser its going to be the german landcruiser tank name but i forgot what its called. Headlights are glass with sheilding, interior is leather black and blue grey. It is supposed to be simplistic for that ultimate sleeper status, if this project goes well im going to try and work with a miata and a 383 stoker....god help us
>>
>>685561009
define stuck...
>>685560904
Sounds like fuel sending could be an issue. It also could be some fouled spark plugs. Try pulling out one of the spark plugs and seeing if it is building up anything gross to a real gross amount.
>>685561200
Anything past year 2000. Earlier trucks have loads of problems and problems to come. I would go for chevy, but that is just me and also I work for them. They are real easy to fix.
>>685561033
I like it
>>685561266
It killed it. No way anything post-cylinder is going to burn off. It is fried. Sorry!
>>685561398
I dont know why, but that whole statement confused the shit out of me
>>685561781
Now way! Im a minnesotan too!
>>685561885
Oh lord....I want your money......or your job....
>>
>>685561885
And the miata is going to look so damn stock its gross....original wheels and baby blue faded paint. Maybe even put a shitty ricer wing for added kek
>>
>>685560904
Wrong key
>>
>>685562339
No. Wrong key would mean that the vehicle wouldn't even flinch. Unless Christler is getting worse..
>>
>>685562238

So any silverado after 2000 should be good?

Also, hows maintainance on them? Not too expensive, is it?
>>
>>685561398
>>685562238
Sorry for confusing the shit out of you. I'm also the minnesotan.

I cant afford to pay the dealership $110 an hour for four BOOK hours plus $500 for a $100 part.

Id rather buy the $100 part, and pay a mechanic $100 an hour cash for the two ACTUAL hours (not book) it will take him to do the job.

But i dont know how to find a mechanic willing to do work for me outside of his day job.
>>
>>685553637
I have a Holden commodore and it makes a high pitched rattle when I accelerate sometimes what might it be?
>>
>>685561200
Tacoma
>>
>>685562717
Yes. Silverados after 2000. Maintenance is to be expected. Oil, tires, and such. If something ever seems off, just lift the truck up on a jack or something and wiggle shit. lose shit is really easy to find on them. Even DTCs are easy. GM does a great job with them.
>>685562939
This industry is all about who you know. If you don't know another guy who knows about cars, make friends with a tech at a dealer or ask the guy to teach you a little bit. Otherwise it is a struggle to find someone who knows jack shit about cars. Id say ask him to teach you. Never a bad idea to know how your car works.
>>685563191
Could be the rockers clicking and oil-starved for a little bit, but that is unlikely. One of the components that the belt spins could also be a suspect. Like an A/C Compressor
>>
>>685562515
Chrysler sucks ass.
valet key?
>>
Why is the hemi the best fucking engine?
>>
>>685564635
Which one? The modern one by Dodge (cough chrysler)? or the one from the 70s?
>>
My grandfather has that exact same truck OP. He's the only one he knows that can actually drive it without grinding the gears
>>
>>685564857
Yea....Double clutching and matching RPMs for days!!!!
>>
>>685564635
Not OP, but I thought fords flat plane v8 was better.
>>
I've a 09 fusion. Sometimes it won't start. When i check between obd pin 6-14 there is 76 ohm. Is that ok?
>>
>>685562939
>
Id rather buy the $100 part, and pay a mechanic $100 an hour cash for the two ACTUAL hours (not book) it will take him to do the job

I use to be the body man at a shop (Now a field adjuster for insurance company), and this mentality of book vs actual frustrates me. Because the book says 4 hours for a repair and I do it in 2 hours because of my experience and have built up my personal tools doesn't mean you get to pay me less. I still deserve the 4 hours of pay. I actually had anywhere from 130-150 hours of work a week on my ticket.

The book is for average tools, average technician and is fair for the tech and customer.

Now what you can do is, most mechanics or bodymen get about HALF the labor rate. If you would like to pay me 60-75% in cash and bring your own part that I'll bite.
>>
>>685566104
Yes. CAN-Bus systems have those kinds of readings around 60-70 ohms
>>685566118
yea i understand what you are saying
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.