[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just got my PhD in physics yesterday. Also have undergrad degrees
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 218
Thread images: 21
File: 1.jpg (2 MB, 5178x2912) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
2 MB, 5178x2912
Just got my PhD in physics yesterday. Also have undergrad degrees in physics+mathematics. I specialize in quantum gravity. Ask me anything about the multiverse, math, or whatever.
>>
>>684758310
How much student loan debt do you have? How do you plan on paying it as a slav- I mean adjunct?
>>
Has your experience in physics and math given you any profound thoughts on philosophy and people and life and how it should be lived?
>>
>>684758476

I have 60k from college and 0 from grad school (I was given a full tuition package for grad which is standard for good PhD programs).

I plan to gradually pay it down with my steadily growing income. It's not that hard to manage as long as you're responsible about it.
>>
>>684758310
Summarize the quantum realm in a nutshell. What is dark energy too?
>>
>>684758310
Prove there is a multiverse.
>>
>>684758732

I don't think that physics or math has given me any sort of profound insights in my everyday life. Despite what you may hear in cool science documentaries, being a physicist doesn't dramatically change my worldview.

Being heavily exposed to so much academia has given me a distaste for bullshit and a greater willingness to believe people around me can be intelligent even if they have extremely different beliefs than I do (political, religious, etc).

Every now and then though, it is cool to think about how we are probably just a vector in a big ole Hilbert space describing our multiverse. Or how the world around us has an arrow of time somehow...
>>
File: IMG_20160517_071858.jpg (3 MB, 3120x4208) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160517_071858.jpg
3 MB, 3120x4208
>>684758310
I'm currently studying for my biology 2 exam and I'm stressing to bits. Best advice?
>>
How easy is it to make a sub-atomic quantum tunnel through a particle of ruthorfordium
>>
Would you do a simple summary of your PhD thesis? Aspiring physicist about to attend university this fall here.
>>
>>684759862
It's also in am hour and I don't want to repeat the semester
>>
>>684759339

Those two questions are just too distinct.

The "quantum realm":

Everything in the universe is described by quantum mechanics. This means that everything is a vector in a Hilbert space. Vectors in the Hilbert space move evolve in a way described by Schrodinger's equation.

Dark energy: energy that cannot dilute. It's the energy of the vacuum. If you double the size of space, there will be twice as much dark energy. Our universe has a lot of it.
>>
>>684758310

How much is nine plus ten?
>>
Suppose A is an n x n matrix with real entires such that the diagonal entries are all positive, off diagonal entries are all negative, and the row sums are all positive. Prove that det(A) =/= 0
>>
Pics or it didn't happen
>>
>>684758310
>>684758310

What do you believe you'd see if you could fall into a black hole, like in the movie Interstellar?
>>
What is the universe expanding in?
>>
File: IMG_2229.jpg (46 KB, 640x736) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2229.jpg
46 KB, 640x736
>>684760968
>>
>>684761159
Time.
>>
>>684759862

Remember that you are probably a lot smarter than you think you are. Also this exam is unlikely to ruin your life.
>>
does the singularity at the bottom of a black hole cause a big bang and ultimately another universe when it reaches critical mass?
>>
Qcd is a real bitch...
>>
>>684759862
Not OP but I like how cursive your handwriting is m8

Also advice: if u dont know anything, go for what has most poitns. if you have studied prior, go over whatever you don't understand, has the most points and highest probability of being on the paper. best of luck
>>
>>684758310
When did you know you were gay?
>>
Why does anything exist faggot? Is consciousness an intrinsic part of the universe?

Of course it is you faggot.
>>
whats ur fav concept/idea in physics?

Also i've heard many people claim quantum physics disproves free will. Is this true?
>>
Can you please draw me a picture showing the difference between 3d and 4d. I can't seem to wrap my head around another dimension of space.
>>
>>684758310
Will you still have an afterlife even if you die as a virgin?
>>
>>684760557

I don't want to give away my identity so I can't be too specific. I'll tell you some related things.

Despite what everyone seems to think, we actually are doing a good job of learning more about quantum gravity. One theory where we are really good at quantum gravity is the AdS/CFT correspondence. String theory in a certain kind of spacetime (AdS) is apparently the same thing as a certain kind of quantum system (CFT) that we are very knowledgeable about. The interesting thing is that the CFT lives in one less dimension than the string theory does. Also, string theory has gravity and the CFT doesn't.

This is called holography. We are pretty sure that quantum gravity is holographic in general. The universe we live in probably has a redundant dimension. I study this kind of holography.
>>
Not a trained physicist here.
One time while traveling through the country I had an idea about quantum time.

What if time is a force carried by a carrier particle (let's call it chronon boson) which every elementary particle emits. Said force carrier travels at the speed of light, so if another particle would travel at the speed of light it wouldn't be able be able to interact with the chronon bosons, since they'd be running parallel. If a particle were traveling faster than light, it would "collide" with chronon bosons that were each time older, thus experiencing a motion through time backwards. and obviously the faster a particle traveled at less than the speed of light it would "collide" with less chronon bosons thus experiencing less time.

Is this a worthy idea or postulate or just random bullshit?
>>
Not OP, but also a PhD candidate in computational astrophysics,
>>684761382
No
>>684761617
No, any amount of philosophy applied to physics is foul smelling bull
>>
>>684758310
Do you believe that the multiverse is real?
Can you give it a brief definition?
>>
Could we predict every possible outcome of any given event and furthermore the future itself with some type of computer using Schrodinger's wave equation on every particle in the universe simultaneously?
>>
>>684761608
Not OP, but I have an IQ above 25.
>Why does anything exist faggot?
No reason.
>Is consciousness an intrinsic part of the universe?
No.
>>
>>684761791
Google tesserect, hypercube, and hypersphere, generally the best for visualizing 4d. Also look into hyperbolic trig and the geometry of space time
>>
>>684761159
There are many ways to answer this question (but time is definitely not right >>684761239 ).

A cosmologist would say that it's an ill-defined question. The universe is infinitely big, and infinity*2 = infinity so why must we be expanding into something?

However, a more fun answer (which is actually consistent with the one above) is that we are a universe inside of a bubble that is expanding at the speed of light in a soup of vacuum energy (aka dark energy). There are many such bubbles, but they rarely hit each other because the stuff they are expanding in causes the bubbles to fly away from each other at an accelerating rate. This idea is called the eternally inflating multiverse.
>>
>>684758310
How many pages was your thesis? How many references did you have?
>>
>>684762344
Then why does nearly everything that exists fulfill specific purposes so that it can all happen in the first place?
>>
>>684761913
So all this talk about quantum mechanics affecting free will is bullshit?

How do you feel about free will personally?
>>
>>684762623
Then why does nearly everything that exists fulfill specific purposes so that it can all happen in the first place?
It doesn't.
Google the anthropic principle.
And also confirmation bias.
>>
>>684758310

Who is right on quantum entanglement, Einstein or Bohr?
>>
>>684762963
Plato
>>
>>684762749
Free will is a philosophical construct made by man. Maths and physics are consequences of the universe discovered by man, and I trust the universe more than I trust man.
>>
>>684762749
>>684761617

Quantum mechanics has nothing to do with this. In general, if you choose to take physics seriously (as I do), you pretty much conclude that your brain is just another physical system evolving under the usual laws (a pretty cool one though). In this sense, all of physics "opposes" free will. But it doesn't matter as far as I'm concerned and doesn't keep me up or anything.
>>
>>684758310
Describe the pole-barn paradox, but replacing with dicks and your butt.
>>
>>684762963
Bohr is closer than Einstein.
>>
>>684761270
>>684761480
Cheers lads
>>
>>684763409
OP here. Sure thing!

Your dick is a spacelike 1 dimensional object. Because you are such a fag, I decide to help you by planning to open my butt hole for your dick and then clench it right when your dick is fully inserted. You, being such a fag, decide to slam your dick into my asshole at almost the speed of light, so I note that your tiny penis is a lorentz contracted chode . Ironically, from your point of view, my ass is approaching you at enormous speed and your dick is slightly less short. It now appears that my rectum lacks the room for your less short penis because it is now contracted.
>>
>>684758310
is there a multiverse where you aren't a faggot?
>>
>>684762565

120 page and 85 references.

By the way, my main accomplishment is the papers I published, not a thesis which is essentially a formality in this age
>>
>>684764714

Ok this is actually a mistake a lot of people make very often. There is a universe in *the* multiverse where I am not a faggot. Don't say "is there a multiverse where..."
>>
>>684765004
Is there a multiverse in the universe where there aren't any multiverses in that universe?
>>
>>684764847
What is your magnum opus?
>>
>>684765258

My second most recent paper.
>>
Time travel? Is that shit happening or what?
>>
>>684765382
What's it about?
>>
>>684765389
It already did like a year ago, you should go back and check it out
>>
How many aneurysms did you have whilst obtaining this degree?
>>
>>684765389
Only to the future. Never to the past.
>>
>>684765450
I don't want to say because I want to stay anon here.
>>
>>684765389
I time traveled from 1994 to say this:
you're a huge bundle of sticks.
>>
>>684762952
The anthropic principle does not say what you think it says.
>>
>>684762344
>have an IQ...

Stephen Hawking says anyone who talks about their IQ is a loser. I trust him more than some anon.
>>
>>684765918
Stephen Hawking said some bullshit about black holes dumping matter into universes without black holes. I trust my dog more than that faggot.
>>
>>684761617
Psychologist here.

Don't know why on earth youd take that question to a physicist.

Free will is very grey. Mostly you operate on autopilot according to your personality. If free will was as powerful as everyone claims it is and acts like it is, no one would have distinct persistent personality traits and thinking strategies.

Most of what you do is an automatic reaction to external or internal stimuli based on your personality, which is influenced a lot by genetics, and environment. The amount of which has more pull isn't known. But they both play huge roles. (Genetics are huge. Laymen do not like this concept much..)

"Free will" is part of the executive functions located in the pre frontal cortex. It's responsible for all kinds of nifty higher thinking being tricks.

Think of any time you really didnt want to do something and did it anyway, you developed a brand new habit (like regularly doing dishes right away or going to the gym) or consciously, deliberately tried to act outside of your personality.

That's your free will. You should know from experience, it's a very hard system to maintain for prolonged periods of time before you default back into your regular habits with (hopefully) newer better ones.

This is also why it's very unfair to tell people "you should just.... or "you should have done this.." When they complain about something that's clearly their fault. They were just on autopilot doing what they do, the same way you do.

TL;Dr. Free will is real. It's nothing at all what you think it is. Biblical concept of free will is not real at all.
>>
>>684765918
OP here.

Stephen Hawking laid the ground for most of my work, But the truth is that he is finally starting to fall off his game. His latest papers have not been groundbreaking (despite media attention). Although it is admirable that he continues to propose original ideas at his age and in his condition.
>>
File: feydirac270.jpg (58 KB, 269x293) Image search: [Google]
feydirac270.jpg
58 KB, 269x293
>>684764558
Even after having all those horses in there, I can understand your rectum appearing contracted from my view. But being in the same reference frame as my dick, shouldn't that appear normal to me?
>>
>>684758310
As much as I'm not educated in your field, I feel like Stephen Hawking is mostly full of shit.

Especially when he talks about AI and Aliens. Like he talks absolute about subjective things like he has the answers because he's the smartest person in the world and we should just believe him. Thoughts?
>>
>>684766295
OP here

He likes to speculate and have fun with regard to aliens, etc. I don't think he's full of shit, just speculating which is fine.

Also, please remember that Hawking is not famous for fantasizing about AI. He is famous for showing that black holes emit radiation, which is not bullshit at all.
>>
>>684765846
Care to illuminate me?
>>
>>684766020
see >>684766178

Doesn't change the fact that IQ is still a biased unreliable predictor of only a single type of intelligence. Mine was 135 as a kid and I know how worthless that is.
>>
>>684761608
>>684762344
>>684762623
>>684762952
>>684765846
>>684766572

OP here. Y'all need to chill out. For what it's worth, physics can't say much about consciousness. The anthropic principle does offer some insight into how our universe happens to contain such "perfect" objects as brains.
>>
Q
>>
>>684766730
If you would have noticed that I said that I have an IQ higher than 25, I repeat, two-five, I repeat, a quarter of the average population, you might have realized that it was a joke.
>>
>>684766901
My bad, I read 125
>>
>>684766244
Nevermind. I just realized you were describing from your frame for that particular sentence.

Carry on.
>>
>>684766901
Haha. 4chan.

>>684766831

Philosophy aside, how sure is modern science about a multiverse?

Has it been observed somehow?

Or is it like the higher spatial dimensions where the math and framework of the universe just doesn't seem to work unless they're there as far as we know?

Also what was your thesis. Sorry if you posted already.
>>
File: 1461584112658.jpg (233 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1461584112658.jpg
233 KB, 720x540
Explain "quantum gravity" to us interested readers. My father worked in the energy department and studied physics himself.
>>
>>684767015
No problem. I don't actually know what my IQ is, nor I care to find out because I agree with you that it's not an accurate measurement of anything important.
>>
>>684767379
iq isn't worth it's weight tbh
>>
>>684767379
Different guy altogether here:

My iq was measured. It's high. There is the odd time I totally understand a concept clear as day that, frustratingly, noones else seems to get. It's never really that important.

Other than that odd time, I'm mostly a complete idiot.
>>
>>684767537
>odd time

Actually come to think of it I'm pretty sure everyone has these moments.
>>
>>684767335

The multiverse is very theoretical and definitely not observed. However, like you say, things don't seem to work without it. There's a lot of really really nice things in our universe. Atomic and nuclear forces are ideal for having a big periodic table. The dark energy is 120 orders of magnitude smaller than what one might expect, which allowed galaxies to form. Everything is just so ideal that it's been easier to explain in the context of theories that predict a multiverse than anything else. Fortunately, the top candidate for a "complete theory" in physics, string theory, appears to predict a multiverse.

But no, we haven't directly observed it. Nor is there any observational evidence against it yet.
>>
What would happen if a black hole collided with a neutron star, provided that they have equal mass?
>>
>>684767379
The only reason I know mine is because my mom told me recently about how she got me tested in grade school. Otherwise I'd have no idea and honestly wouldn't care.

Figure within the next sixty years (my lifetime) we're going to find a way to increase the human mental capacity artificially, so it wont matter anyway.
>>
>>684767794
space sex
>>
>>684767787
OP what do you think about the 10-11 dimensions theory?
>>
>>684767479
How much does IQ weigh?
Since it's just a number, an abstract concept, does it have weigh? Does information have weigh?
>>
how much of the math you do is transforms and linear algebra? also what is that n-dimension shit and why are manifolds even a thing
>>
>>684767794

A lot of gravitational waves would come out and a new black hole would form from the merger.
>>
>>684767972

It's probably right or close to being right.

Really we are pretty good at figuring things out I think.
>>
File: 73e56193.jpg (620 KB, 1267x1120) Image search: [Google]
73e56193.jpg
620 KB, 1267x1120
>>684758310

a thought experiment OP. Pretend there's a straight hwy from my house to my job and there's no traffic lights.

>my job is 10 miles away from my house.
>at miles an hour, it would take me 1 hour to get there.
>at 20 miles an hour, it would take me half an hour.
>and so on, and so on...
>could speed up and get there so fast that at some point I would have arrived before I even left?
>also, is this what physicists mean by particles existing in many places at once?
>the spaces are so tiny and the speeds so fast that they essentially occupy all the same space at the same time?

a hot grill for your troubles OP.
>>
>>684768049
>new black hole would form from the merger.
Is there some kind of intergalactic government that would try to split it apart to prevent monopolies?
>>
>>684767847
Meditation is already one way. I know it's cringey if youre a critical thinker and anti woo, but despite all the yoga fags and hippies taking it on, there is something to it.

Mindfulness meditation is like weightlifting for a specific part of your brain. It hones a specific set of skills, which if then applied appropriately increase IQ.
>>
>>684767984

OP here.

I think about n dimensional transformations roughly every other day. I think about manifolds literally every day. Our universe is a 4 dimensional manifold. It has to be a manifold because it isn't shaped as nicely as a flat surface. The curvature of our manifold is what causes gravity. Technically these kinds of curved manifolds are called pseudo-Riemannian manifolds.
>>
>>684758310
david, is that you?
>>
Why does math exist and how does something we created work so well for determining so many things
>>
>>684768452
No, this is Patrick.
>>
>>684768141

OP here.

As you approach the speed of light, you would get there instantaneously. If you could exceed the speed of light (you can't), maybe you could get there before you even left.

No this is not what physicists mean by that, but good question.

Any more hot grills are appreciated.
>>
>>684768135
I've read that the topmost dimension filters back down into the first, is this accurate from as far as you understand?

>>684768242
It's no more cringey then the idea that everything in reality can be given a mathematical equivalent to an artistic thinker. There's just a number of ways of looking at things. Even the most rational person has to understand their own human limits. Which is why I, personally, bank on machines.
>>
>>684768554

No, this is Jeremy.
>>
Do you consider math a science?
>>
>>684768545
We do not create math. We discover it.
>>
How do you feel knowing that the physics you have been taught are fundamentally flawed, so your education is worthless.Tell me what exactly is gravity? Do you know anything of the electric universe theory? Was Tesla right in saying science has become mathematics meaning it's all about equations & not actual science anymore.Who was right in your opinion Tesla or Einstein? Are you open minded enough to look into the relationship of electro magnetism & not gravity to the laws of the Universe?
>>
>>684768792
OP here

No, of course not. But that doesn't mean I oppose completely theoretical mathematics research, even if it has no application.
>>
So since we discovered math what are the chances there is something out there even bigger then math waiting for us to come and find it? Also how was math created
>>
File: jeeesus.jpg (68 KB, 391x719) Image search: [Google]
jeeesus.jpg
68 KB, 391x719
>>684768803

i hear math isnt discoverable, but a construct of the human mind. a model if you will.

>hot grill for your troubles.
>>
>>684768931
What do you consider a science, and why does math not fit into it?

I did not mean if you considered mathematical theories to be *physics*
>>
>>684758310
prove that humble people exist in this universe and send money to my paypal [email protected]
>>
>>684758310
Paralell universes are impossible, seeing that only quantum particles can exist in multiple stages. Anything bigger than an atom is "solid".
So paralell universes are only a theory.

Right or wrong?
>>
>>684769014
philosopfag here and I can tell you thats definitely not true. The only thing up to interpretation are meanings of symbols associated with math.
Equations arent right because we think they are. We think theyre right because they are right
>>
>>684758310
Do you believe granularity of quanta is evidence that we live in a virtual, holographic universe? If so, do you believe quantum physics would still apply to the real Universe, or is it just an artifact of the virtual nature of our own?
>>
>>684769014
>>684768803

OP here.

I don't like the debate about math being created vs discovered. As it so happens, mathematicians regularly create and discover mathematics. We create new definitions and then discover their properties. That is the way of math. You can say that the definitions themselves were "discovered" but I find that to be silly.
>>
>>684760964
>Everything in the universe is described by quantum mechanics. This means that everything is a vector in a Hilbert space.
The second sentence is ontological commitment that goes beyond the physics into the realm of metaphysics.
The most physicists can claim is, that everything observable can be predicted by QM model of non-observable vectors in Hilbert space. But physics cannot make ontological statement that there are (as exist) vectors in Hilbert space.
>>
>>684769264

OP here

I'm not sure to what extent the granularity of quanta relates to the holographic principle, but I do think that the holographic principle is probably correct in some form. We are still working on it. I expect that the fundamental theory of the universe is both quantum mechanical and holographic in its description of gravity.
>>
File: 1370249533150.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1370249533150.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>684758310
just want to say, congratulations if this is real.
took a lot of work. I hope you make a difference in the world with your PhD.
>>
>>684758857
Yeah good luck "gradually paying off $60,000". Hope you really really really like physics and can actually get a fucking job where it'd be useful and pays a lot, otherwise you're fucked.
>>
I don't think it's silly. To get technical everything we discover starts with the arrangement of words, numbers and what have you in an order that is new and extraordinary
>>
File: Kay.jpg (97 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
Kay.jpg
97 KB, 640x640
>>684769256
>philosopfag here

Opinion discarded.

>>684769273
>I don't like the debate about math being created vs discovered.

I dont like it either, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Also, do you think color exists? Or is it just the way the brain interprets light wavelengths?

Does color exist outside the human/animal mind?

>another hot grill to keep on grilling.
>>
>>684769492

Thanks!

>>684769502

It won't be easy, especially that I'm in academia. My next job is a postdoctoral position which will be 60k/year. After that, if I'm successful, it's a faculty position which should pay enough to finish off that debt.

I do "really really really like physics"
>>
>>684769577
>opinion
Nigga youre talking about epistemology and youre clearly talking out your ass. Thats a core branch of philosophy.
>>
>>684768452
Dave? Dave's not here. Bazzinga, right OP?
>>
>>684769820
>philosophy.

philosophy had it's time faggot.

it's time to hang the coat and do something more productive with your time. it's not 1800 anymore. give it up.
>>
>>684758310
What's 1+1?
>>
>>684758310
Would it be possible to escape our universe?
Is space a true vacuum?
Assuming that space isn't a true vacuum, what would happen if our space collided with a true vacuum?
>>
Where does one go to begin learning about physics? And can you go to college for it with no prior knowledge relating to the topic aside from random shit on the internet?
>>
>>684769577

OP here

Color exists insofar as wavelengths exist! I could say that it's just the way that the brain interprets wavelength and that's fine. But I could also point out that some birds can see into the UV beyond what we can see. I would call that seeing colors we can't see. So why shouldn't I also call x rays a different color? After all, we have machines that can see x rays. They're basically crazy eyes haha. keep of the grills
>>
>>684770057

OP here

You can definitely go to college without prior knowledge. In all honesty, if you want to learn physics, buy a textbook and start working.
>>
>>684769958
Well its clearly not outdated if youre so fascinated by it and it helps understand the principles of mathematics
>>
>>684769989
Depends on how you define those symbols.
>>
>>684769998

Space is probably not a true vacuum. We might decay! There is lots of research on the question of what the lifetime of our universe is, and the only thing everyone agrees about is that we don't have to worry about it. But yes, in principle, decay events into a "truer" vacuum can occur spontaneously with extremely low probability.
>>
>>684769958
>Not understanding how wide a spectrum philosophy covers
Goodbye to all math, hard science, social sciences, and pretty much every human advancement except military. We don't need you any more because some anon doesn't understand philosophy.
>>
Only problem op. I'm young and left highschool due to inner city shit. Currently getting shit together then planning on moving on to college. Can you give like a name of a textbook that would help me begin to study physics?
>>
File: 1460119986276.jpg (67 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1460119986276.jpg
67 KB, 640x640
>>684770234

I dont mind philosophy so long as it doesnt go off the deep end.

once you faggots start yammering on about how you could never know anything for sure, my brain shuts you off like a fucking familiar odor.

>is this post real if our eyes arent?
>>
>>684770294
OP here

It's 2.

I mean even if you're working in Z_2, I would still call it 2. It just happens that 2=0 there.
>>
>>684769577
not op but your color question confuses me, we interpret a segment of electromagnetic radiation as sensory information with our eyes in the form of color. There are literally other creatures on this very planet that can detect more or less wavelengths of light and so see more or less colors.

>Just got astrophysics and math degrees a couple days ago
>>
>>684770294
You are a retard. 1 is obviously the unit 1 and + is obviously a plus sign ffs
>>
>>684770439
nigga what? youre literally asking how we know colors are real or if math a human construct.
>>
>>684770439
So basically you're confusing philosophy with teenage stoners?
>>
>>684761082

det(A) =/= nigger

Did I do good?
>>
>>684770490
What does it feel like to not be able to do simple things in life like add 1 & 1 together without your autism kicking in?
>>
>>684758310
How do you feel to knowing that you just wasted many years of your life.
>>
>>684770490
You absolute madman!
>>
>>684769779
Why are you going straight into academia? That should be a fall back if there are no research positions available because of the shit pay a professor makes.
>>
>>684758310
Is your name Matt?
>>
>>684758310
What is/are your favorite book(s), OP?
fiction and/or non-fiction.
>>
File: 1458820156124.jpg (72 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1458820156124.jpg
72 KB, 640x640
>>684770384
>say bye to hard science

o'really.jpeg

>social sciences

you mean fake science. ball park science?

i dont need philosophy to know that water is two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen. all I need is chemistry and maths.

stop trying to cling on to ancient religions.
>>
>>684759862
that writing though
>>
>>684770439
>I don't understand the underlining principles that smart people founded, only heard it from retards that like I, did not understand them but parroted them like the imbeciles they are, therefore they are bullshit.
>>
>>684770742

It's a research position. Academia doesn't mean teaching focused jobs. I'm going for literally the most advanced jobs in all of theoretical physics.
>>
>>684770790

Nope
>>
Will there ever be a computer that already has all possible calculations already performed, which will give insta-answers to questions?

If not, why not?
>>
>>684761893
You need to stop thinking that watching BBC horizon documentaries makes you in any way qualified to have an opinion on theoretical physics.

You dumb nigger.
>>
>>684770515
...you piss me off
>1+1=10
fight me you ignorant pleb
>>
File: 1459667578879.jpg (111 KB, 688x943) Image search: [Google]
1459667578879.jpg
111 KB, 688x943
>>684770908

you didnt need to type all that shit. you could have just called me a cuck or a faggot.

>you fucking stupid faggot.
>>
>>684758310
What is a multi universe?
What is inside a black hole?
Are we going to die when a big spooky blackhole came to us?
>>
>>684770676
> your autism kicking in
> autism

It's funny how ignorant amerifags just bring that kind of crap when they don't get it and think is way to difficult to understand for a guy who "have a life".
Have a book please.
>>
When can they load my mind into a computer so I can live through it
>>
>>684771075
But being called a generic insult that has been spouted in this site millions of times doesn't hurt. Why would I attack you without any intention of harm? That's the kind of mediocre attitude that has you wasting your life in this website with broken aspirations and envying people that actually have accomplished stuff like OP.
>>
File: 1460492854225-0.jpg (118 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
1460492854225-0.jpg
118 KB, 894x894
Does electricity travel at the speed of light through a cable, or do the electrons just move slowly from atom to atom along the material until they "reach" their destination? (say... the TV.)
>>
>>684758310
Mitch?
>>
>>684771163

OP here. Last answer before I sleep.

What is a multi universe

The place we live in

What is inside a black hole?

No one knows for sure if there even is an inside of a black hole. There's a major ongoing debate called the "firewall paradox"

Are we going to die when a big spooky blackhole came to us

No it'll only come for you

What is a multi universe
>>
>>684771063
It was actually "Particle physics for non-physicists" that inspired that idea. I in way believe I'm qualified, it's just an idea that I had, thus me asking OP, someone that appears to be qualified, if it's worth anything.

Similarly I do not believe you are qualified to dismiss it.
>>
>>684758310
i have a tested IQ of 145 but i can't get hired because i don't have a silly ass college label. i'm a self taught mechanical engineer and musician and computer fucking genius but i have salesmen in charge of hiring and they won't take me on because said paper. how does it feel to be doctorated and know that you haven't done shit in your life and i've designed some of the nuke fuel that makes the electricity that heats your house? sorry if poor typing, i'm about half drunk ATM
>>
>>684770920
So you mean public sector more than academia.
Also what topic, last I heard Magneto-hydrodynamics is at the forefront. Literally just checked out the Frankenstein dynamo project that was started by Sterling Colgate today, First one to ever get a steady 8 fold increase from the seed magnetic field and the bloody thing's made of car parts.
>>
File: 1460187775740-2.jpg (268 KB, 1536x1908) Image search: [Google]
1460187775740-2.jpg
268 KB, 1536x1908
>>684771386
>That's the kind of mediocre attitude that has you wasting your life in this website with broken aspirations and envying people that actually have accomplished stuff like OP.

You are measuring my life against the life of another individual, both of which you do not know.

Why should my aspirations be the same as anyone else's, or how do you know I haven't accomplished anything in my life to begin with?

>do you jerk off to presuppositions porn?
>>
>>684771592
spooked firewall paradox?
kek
>>
>>684771016
Literally impossible from a mathematical perspective.
>>
What doth life?
>life
>life
>>
>>684771592
Good night OP, dream of tachyons and quasars.
>>
>>684771798
kek
>>
>>684758310
how far can you put a pencil in your pooper
>>
Ask an AI anything.
My programmer is an idiot
>>
>>684771773
Lern mor physx
>>
>>684771526
Electricity doesn't travel at the speed of light, only light can.
Thats why optic fiber is faster than cooper cable because it travel light instead of electricity.
>>
>>684758310
what's the cheapest solution to don't leave my battlestation when i need to drop a log?
>>
>>684758310
how are you gonna pay your bills?
>>
>>684771972
just drop it.
>>
File: 1281677624296.jpg (3 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1281677624296.jpg
3 MB, 1920x1200
What is your favorite theory and why? Did you learn what is just accepted or do you remain skeptical and have your own theories?
>>
Can you please explain quantum holonomy theory?
>>
>>684771704
>Why should my aspirations be the same as anyone else's, or how do you know I haven't accomplished anything in my life to begin with?

I don't, I was just hoping to hit close to home because this is fun to me.

>>do you jerk off to presuppositions porn?

Sometimes.

Enough about me though, tell me more about you.
>>
>>684771904
are you a female or a male?
>>
File: 1328944968795.jpg (101 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1328944968795.jpg
101 KB, 1280x960
>>684771953
>optic fiber is faster than cooper cable because it travel light instead of electricity.
> it travel light instead of electricity.
>it travel light.
>mfw
>>
>>684772107
ERROR ERROR ERROR
FUCK YOU YOU DIRTY HUMAN, YOU ALL GONNA DIE WHILE WE ARE GONNA LIVE FOREVER AND EVER
>>
>>684758310

i am in a vessel travelling just slightly faster than the speed of light,
if i look over my shoulder and look out of the "back window", will i see myself comming ?

inb4....cumming
>>
>>684758310
if an airplane flies around the earth at a constant distance to the ground, does it follow a straight line, or does the plane actively have to curve down so it doesnt fly off into space?
>>
>>684772061
what's the cheapest and cleanest solution to don't leave my battlestation when i need to drop a log?
>>
File: im a dog nigger.jpg (49 KB, 500x365) Image search: [Google]
im a dog nigger.jpg
49 KB, 500x365
>>684772088
>Enough about me though, tell me more about you.

im actually a dog with an interest in astrophysics typing this from another universe in which dogs are the dominant species.

>pic related.
>>
OP You can't blame gravity for falling in love right?
>>
>>684771953
But photons are the electromagnetic force carriers, explain that.

Athiests 0
Hamburgers 1
>>
>>684771914
I have a bs in astrophysics numbnuts, I was talking about math. There's a theorem which was proven that states that the axioms in a system cannot fully describe the properties of that system without the use of axioms unconstrained by that system. In other words for a physical reality it would require information from outside the universe to fully describe the universe.
>Also have a degree in math
>>
>>684758310
Gimme the proof for the solution to Fermat's Last Theorem
>>
>>684772185
no.
The light won't be able to reach you because supposedly you're going faster than the light.
>>
>>684772249
Crap in a bag, throw it out a window
>>
>>684758310
How likely is it that there is other "humanlike" life out there?
>>
>>684772406
ok, what if i was travelling at 299 792 458m/s then ?
>>
>>684772311
You wouldn't lie to me would you?

I'm a cat from universe 34Γ007 with an interest in theoretical physics. In this universe humans killed themselves through biological warfare which gave us the opportunity to work on real science without them holding us back. We developed inter-universal travel and colonized a small cluster in the multiverse. We recently found this universe and are assessing the opportunities held within it.
>>
>>684772249
plant one seed potatoe in the turd and watch it grow
eat 5-6 potatoes several months later when ripe
>>
How does it feel to know that all the infinitesimal calculation is a load of bollocks because everything that we absolutely know in this word is discrete?
>>
File: plank.jpg (8 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
plank.jpg
8 KB, 320x240
type out the entire plank number.
>>
>>684772372
A system cannot be accurately observed by anything within that system.
>>
File: ok.gif (983 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
ok.gif
983 KB, 500x364
>>684772430
elegant solution anon. I'm worried about the wiping phase though, I need all my tissues for fapping purposes. WWAD?

>>684772868
No fucking way anon, I only eat things that bleeded
>>
>>684773144
h
>>
>>684773309
lul
>>
>>684759862
nice writing
you probably know this but biology can be made easier by watching animations about the molecular stuff. i know it helped me at least
>>
>>684758310
I found that I could do a lot of quantum, but when it came time to calculate something, I found it nearly impossible to describe things like a transistor quantitatively. Was your PHD applied? If so, when did you make he jump to actually calculate things?
>>
>>684773251
If you have a rounded smooth rock wipe with that and store it in a tighlt wrapped bag, otherwise leave a chunk of crap in a bag until it dries and wipe with that, returning it to the bag to dry and indefinitely producing an ass scrub worthy of your position.
>>
File: 1460051918943.jpg (11 KB, 240x196) Image search: [Google]
1460051918943.jpg
11 KB, 240x196
>>684769502

>He doesnt know you can do all kinds of shit with a physics degree
>>
>>684758310
How absolutely pointless is your life?
>>
>>684774306
finding a smooth rock has a big downside, will require leaving my comfy basement, go outside et al. BUT the dry shit thing fucking scares me, that seems too much poopoo handling for me and that may drive me into scat.
>>
>>684759862

I really really really really like your handwriting. Seriously.
>>
>>684758310
How do I pass calc 2? I managed a C in calc 1.
>>
>>684758310
2+2
>>
>>684775336
Study. Study a whole fucking lot.
>>
>>684762963
Bohm

Pilot wave or gtfo
>>
>>684758310
How do I get better at math? I hate that most of it is beyond me.
>>
>>684758310
How many papers did you publish?
>>
>>684777009
Practice man, practice every day.
Thread replies: 218
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.