[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is suicide a selfish act?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 15
File: 1462157263647.gif (2 MB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1462157263647.gif
2 MB, 750x750
How is suicide a selfish act?
>>
If you're asking because you feel like the act of suicide being selfish means it's morally wrong then you need to know it's not wrong, but it is about the most selfish thing you can do.
>>
>>684411553
But how is suicide selfish? Is a person obligated to continue living for their family, for society, for who and why?
>>
>>684411377

I think suicide is selfish ONLY if when have people depending on you and you're abandoning them by killing yourself

i.e. a mother that kills herself and leaves a child behind
>>
>>684411782

you don't seem to grasp the concept of duty very well. either that or you're downright ignoring it, because it stands in the way of you having your way
>>
>>684412017
A duty to who or to do what?
>>
>>684411377
because you dont give a shit about the people who actually care about you and how they feel like when youre gone
>>
File: 1462853586934.png (77 KB, 253x303) Image search: [Google]
1462853586934.png
77 KB, 253x303
>>
>>684411553

Pretty damn selfish to expect someone to continue living just for you when they are going through hell, isnt it?
>>
Because you're taking the joy of your existence away from people who appreciate you.

It may be just some cashier that sees you and smiles, even, and you'll be making their life worse.
>>
>>684412424

a duty to not actually abandon those who depend on you, you dimwit
>>
>>684412947
>>684412606
In being born and living, is a person obligated to continue living for everybody else who may or may not care about them?
>>
>>684413533
I presume you mean this in the sense of children or dependents?
>>
>>684412824

what do you mean by "hell"? are you terminally ill or something? cause other than that, you're just bitching, not really going through hell
>>
>>684411377
Under the right circumstances it is not selfish. Stupid kids killing themselves is selfish, but I watched my father bare through 16 years of agonizing pain just to see me grow up. He earned his peace.
>>
It's like ripping out the heart of people who love you and repeatedly dipping it in battery acid for eternity.

It's a hurt that never goes away.
>>
>>684413643

Yep, that's what I meant
>>
>>684411377
like everything else.
it's literally impossible to do anything not-selfish.
>>
>>684411812
I don't see how that's selfish. You aren't sparing your life for anything else, you're ending it. Can't you fucking understand the difference?
>>
>>684413932

like charity and giving away stuff for no reason, right?

edgy 12 yr old detected
>>
File: 0w5VCYB.gif (2 MB, 504x279) Image search: [Google]
0w5VCYB.gif
2 MB, 504x279
>>684413792
There's plenty of ways to go through hell. The numbness of depression is its own special kind of hell, as an example.

>>684413858
I've lost people too and I know how it feels, but death is an inevitable thing, they'll likely have to handle it at one point or another.
>>
File: nigfag.jpg (96 KB, 500x318) Image search: [Google]
nigfag.jpg
96 KB, 500x318
>>
>>684414140

you must be retarded or something. you're killing yourself because YOU want to do this for YOU, while disregarding the needs of those who depend on you. this is the definition of selfishness
>>
>>684414291
>like charity and giving away stuff for no reason, right?

it gives you the satisfaction and validation about you being so noble and kind.
there is nothing selfless about it.
just another way to jerk your ego.
>>
>>684411377
It's selfish and reckless if you do something retarded like jumping under a train.
If you don't want to bother other people do it in a clean way. Like hang yourself with a plastic sheet under you.
If you want to help people, you could take somebody really bad with you.
>>
>>684413542
Selfish
self·ish
ˈselfiSH/
adjective
adjective: selfish

(of a person, action, or motive) lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure.
>>
>>684414506
What if you have no children or dependents or a SO, nobody really depends on you?
>>
>>684414423

yeah, depression is pretty bad, I agree. but you're NOT beyond help. Even the most severe cases can recover, so why abandon the fight?
>>
>>684411377
suicide is not a selfish act.
it's the end result of a person not able to cope with pain.
it's only slightly stupid because you should seek help, but those in a very distressed state, have no control over it.
why it's biologically programmed is odd.
>>
Some may think that it wouldn't matter to the world if one were to disappear, but what they're forgetting is that they themselves are a part of the world for someone else
>>
>>684413792
Ahh the person that never went through shit in his life. So he has to tell everyone that had some bad times he is a pussy for being upset about it.

Come back once you are over the age of 25. Maybe by that time you have had to deal with the worst life brings you.
>>
>>684414291
>charity and giving away stuff for no reason
no reason = feeling entitled after and showing other people what a great person you are
while the people receiving the charity will become even more dependent on it and less self-sufficient
way to go, anon
>>
>>684414519

I don't know where you're from, but if people there are so cynic about basic acts of kindness and altruism, it must be a shitty place with shitty people.
>>
>>684414764
altruism doesn't exist.
>>
>>684414599

then, in this case, I totally support your decision to an hero.

don't get me wrong, I am not against suicide per se. just make sure you tie up loose ends before you do it
>>
>>684414506
Implying you have had anything to say as to you wanted to be born.

This is my main problem with living. I can't decide to enter it. And am looked down upon for exiting it. Really fucked up if you think about it.
>>
>>684411377
It's a selfish act, because all the survives can be bothered to think of is "how could/dare he do this to me?" rather than "how did he get that far without me bothering to notice?"
>>
>>684414688
this.
>>
>>684413792
Hey, you don't know what other people may be going through. I agree that most people who say they're depressed are mostly pussies who don't know how to handle life, but come on. Some of us out there actually have a pretty shitty life with no better option than to just end it. I would know where my life is headed if I've only made it this far when I try
>>
What do you care if it's selfish, you'll be dead
>>
File: 1425053056470.png (643 KB, 847x518) Image search: [Google]
1425053056470.png
643 KB, 847x518
are you retarded
>>
>implying this is debateable
top kek.
Really, guys? When you're literally feeling emotional and/or physical pain every single day of your life, there is no way in hell you should not end of your life because "oh wait i wouldn't want to upset that one person who likes me" lol fuck that your the one living your life your the one who decides to continue living it or not. But I must admit, things must be pretty fucking shit if e.g your a single parent and you leave your kids behind. Still not wrong though. Selfishness isnt in the picture when everyday is literal hell.
>>
>>684414931
You'd make a good catholic
>>
>>684412606
but what if there are no people that care about you?
>>
>>684414599
My friend and I actually debated over whether someone is justified to commit suicide if they have no one.

We come to the comclusion that killing yourself does not benefit the society positively and that you always have more potential to contribute if you're alive.

It's not really justified for one to commit suicide, especially for someone who lives in the first world.

But it's your life.
>>
>>684415086
>upset that one person who likes me
Nobody likes you. This is more about the train driver who will be traumatized for years, or the cops who have to go examine your rotten corpse at 2 am. Just think before you do it and try to minimize the collateral damage.
>>
>>684415098
I'd make a better hero..........
>>
>>684415086
How is it hell to where you can't deal with it/make it better.
It's selfish because you only expect things to not be a literal hell, but it's probably because you never got off your ass.
>>
>>684414506
No, the fuck. It's only selfish if it's benefitting me in some, but if I'm dead then that isn't possible. You make no sense
>>
>>684411377

> because people care about you
>>
>>684414915

ah the angsty teen that is upset he was shoved in this life without his approval. well, son, I get where you're coming from. the thing is, if you want to kill yourself, go right ahead, I won't stop you from exerciting your autonomy as an individual. but if you're gonna go through with this, and you know it from early on, be a decent person and don't take on lots of responsibilities in life, so that you won't impact the lives of many others when you kill yourself.
>>
>>684415257
>This is more about the train driver who will be traumatized for years, or the cops who have to go examine your rotten corpse at 2 am

Not anon you're talking to, but who the fuck cares, that's what they get paid for. Oh, and it's life. People die, they'll get over it.
>>
>>684411377

Unless you are terminally ill, suicide is a selfish act because you are hurting the people who love you greatly. Your suicide may even drive some other people who loved you to committ suicide. If your parents are still alive, you will be forcing them to bury a child, which is something a parent should never have to do.
>>
>>684415188
We come to the comclusion that killing yourself does not benefit the society positively and that you always have more potential to contribute if you're alive.

Nice try. What if you're NEET, have no motivation, no ambition, no significant other, no prospects?

Would not kiling yourself remove yourself as a burden on your family and on the gov't?

And by doing so, would free up resources for said parties to better help others (or themselves)?

"no positive benefit* my ass.

You just don't know what rock bottom is.
>>
>>684415312

look, you wanted to kill yourself. this is your stated goal. you have kill yourself. you have reached your goal.

so yeah, your death benefits you, since you got what you wanted.
>>
>>684414506
>>684415472
"Well, anon, I know you'd literally rather die in a fire than experience another day on this earth, but if you don't babysit for me tomorrow, I'll have to wait until the weekend to see captain america. Can't you think of anyone else? God, you're so selfish!"
>>
>>684415479
And i'm sure you don't either because you've got a cellphone/computer or fucking something in your life to vent to.
None of us care what you think, because that part of you that wants to die that wants to just give up because it's easy, it's full of shit.
The part of you that wants to live, the one that makes this post in the first place for people to fucking talk to, still wants to live clearly. It's not that bad for you, you need to understand that there is always someone in a worse position than you, that would kill to be in that position that you have RIGHT NOW.
That's what's selfish as well about it. You need to get back on your feet by getting off your ass OP. Go fucking kill yourself otherwise.
>>
>>684411377
Suicide being selfish act is the biggest bullshit I've ever heard of and here's why.

Everyone perceives life as "gift". Fair enough. But it is a gift you are forced upon therefore you have no say in if you want it or not. In sense you have been forced into this world and everyone's acting like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. And in case you want to give the gift back everyone starts to think you're ungrateful little shit for not loving the life like everyone else does.

It's not selfish because other people do not matter when you're making the decision of "to live or not to live" since they are not living your life. Say if you are in agonizing pain you'd want to die, but oh wait, your friends want you to keep living. Now you have to bear the pain while others don't, it's actually more selfish to not let someone commit suicide since you're putting your own desire of them living in front of the person in question's desire to leave.

Although in the end it doesn't even matter anyway. You're dead now, if it's selfish or not doesn't matter since you don't have to deal with the fallout of it anyway.

Just my opinion.
>>
>>684415479
I said "more potential"

If you aren't even willing to try, then there's no hope. Very little people will help you out of the kindness of their heart. If you're not willing to change your own situation, then it will never change for the better.
>>
>>684414829

again, more unwarranted cynicism
>>
>>684411377
because only self is kill should of also kill someone other to make unselfish
>>
>>684411377
>>684413643

That's a little short sighted. You're looking at life like a puddle, when in actuality it's an ocean. There's so much more to it than selfishness.

One thing I figured out over the years is that people don't have to like you to love you. There's someone out there, even if it's only one that cares about you and would mourn your loss. To be truly alone is a rare case.

If you decide to shuffle off this mortal coil you leave behind everyone you've ever known and those that you could. If the prospect of these things doesn't bother you then you have nothing to lose.
>>
>>684415086
Come on, even Shakespear knew that suicide is wrong.
He made the most famous "Whoopsi, fucked that one up" suicide drama known to mankind.

people justify suicide because they say they have now more power left to cope with their problems.
while this can be true, seeking help to find someone with enough power is a way of ditching suicide as the ultimate solution to a problem.

>"you're the one living your life"
yes but you never, really like never ever live your life on your own and totally alone.
>>
File: 1462858319304.jpg (79 KB, 704x533) Image search: [Google]
1462858319304.jpg
79 KB, 704x533
>>684415831
your opinion is wrong nigger
>>
>>684415393
Ahhh the "jumping to conclusions"-guy
Can't have enough of these. Learn to have a real discussion.
>>
>>684415880
>unwarranted
read up on the topic instead of seeking validation so desperately.
>>
>>684411377
Because you don't allow others to see your suffering over and over so they can feel better about themselves if you commit suicide, and that's selfish.
>>
>>684414547
By definition I guess, I'm meaning more if a person is obligated to continue living for the sake of everybody else in their life.

>>684414634
Tried, Can't afford help and I wish I were baiting when I say family I have reached out to just tell me to pull up my pants and get over it (depression/life issues)

>>684415188
I'm aware my life could be a lot worse, but do bad things and bad conditions just not happen to first world people?

>>684415257
>implying the cop/EMT/other guy doesn't see this shit regularly

>>684415286
>Pull up them pampers and deal with it

>>684415472
One parent who I've severed ties with for the most part.
>>
>>684415831
>you don't have to deal with the fallout of it anyway.

and here's why it's selfish, in a nutshell.

you basically don't give a flying fuck about the mess you're leaving behind.
>>
>>684415831

I would kill you myself.

>Pathetic
>>
>>684414599
Someone has too find you and clean you up and that's no fun trust me.
>>
>>684416024
never seen such crimson red
>whatchutalkinboutwillis
>>
>>684415749
This has nothing to do with being around to perform favors for people, you stupid motherfucker. Suicide for the most part is a permanent solution to temporary problems. But you go ahead. Throw your hands in the air and scream "I just can't handle my first world life anymore" and call it quits. Meanwhile, half the people on the fucking planet don't even know if they will have enough food to survive to see the sun rise the next day. But you've got such a hard life, on your computer, on /b/, don't you?
>>
>>684415657
I can't get anything out of that. I'm dead. Therefor it isnt selfish
If I wanted to end my life, I must've thought it wasn't important for anything else. Which it shouldn't be if I have nothing to live for. Uh, other people? Other people shouldn't be depending on me for anything and call me selfish. That's just being a hypocrite
>>
>>684411377
you reincarnate but family suffers etc
>>
>>684415257
*takes shots at random on the internet because their opinion differs from others* fuck some random cop or train driver this is your fucking shithole life you're talking about, some person you don't even know coming across your body isn't involved in the situation when your mind is suicidal.

>>684415286
>how is it hell to where you can't deal with it/make it better
Hey there, buddy :) You ever heard of PTSD or severe clinical depression? This can make it near impossible to live a happy life, thus making it not worth it. Understand kiddy? The world aint all sunshine and rainbows :) Point is imbalanced brain chemicals can fuck you up. its science.
>>
>>684415831
Circumstances can really differ in those situations.
Honestly OP doesn't sound like he's in agonizing pain, it's not like he has a disease eating away at him or something.
He just sounds like someone who's a whiny little bitch who can't just deal with his fucking problems like the rest of us.
Who said life was all milk and honey faggot? We all have problems, but we fucking move on for the milk and honey that we can achieve.
If you want to die, you can die the way you want, just understand that HOW you choose to do it, will effect others.
We're not saying if you're old, in great pain (real pain not pain you can learn to cope with like emotional pain) or being in a truly hopeless situation and wanting to die isn't selfish.
But OP, are you really one of those things? Are you really hopeless, if so why?
>>
File: 1431332275054.gif (979 KB, 450x253) Image search: [Google]
1431332275054.gif
979 KB, 450x253
>>684411377
it makes you a fucking coward, take the hard road and not the easy way out
>>
>>684411377
Think about it this way, it's like your parents have always wanted you to be a doctor, and you fucking hate every second of med school. You start your residency and they start putting you on 36-hour shifts until you're about to lose your mind. Your family and friends are all excited about your career, but when you look ahead all you can see is more suffering.

Is it selfish to quit and go be a bus driver instead? Maybe, I guess, but that doesn't make it wrong.
>>
You can take many things for yourself.
Taking your life is greedy, in the sense that you are removing any potential you have fro

'I don't have any potential!'

Yet, you're willing to take that pointless life, and remove it from the world, because removing it gains the world... one more lifeless body.
>>
>>684415831
>your friends want you to keep living

idiot. this is not how this works and perceiving it that way is just wrong.
through living you connect with people, you share emotions, stories and thoughts.
friends don't want you keep living because they want you to keep living. they want to be connected with you, share emotions, thoughts, write stories and memories.
they want you to be part of their lives because they are part of your life. it's not about keeping you in agonizing pain. and its not a deed that needs to be fulfilled, friendship is a sacrifice. you give parts of your life to someone else, in the best case without expecting a reward.
>>
>>684416603
It isn't selfish. Let people do what they wanna do and worry about your own life. Why is that so hard?
>>
>>684416406
we usually accept that sometimes people have to take care of themselves before other people. If you think that's wrong, then go ahead and sell all your shit and send all the money to orphans in africa.
>>
>>684416603
Yeah but at least you're still dealing with that problem in a much better way than just
"OH I JUST CAN"T TAKE IT"
>Permanent answer to a temporary problem
>>
>>684416602
if only we could remember our kill count after death
>>
>>684416791
my point is, whether it's selfish or not is a bad question. Not all selfish things are bad, not all unselfish things are good.
>>
Cause someone has got to clean your mess when you die.
>>
>>684413542
You're not saying anything new or profound.
Some tumblr tier stuff here.

> may
So, you're going to take that chance; the chance that someone MIGHT not care for you? You may get angry at others for not empathising with you, but you could show some empathy towards them. If someone doesn't show they care, it's intuitive to believe that, but some people simply find showing emotion difficult. They could be deeply phased by suicide.

Plus, the chance of someone caring for you is more likely than 50%, despite being only two outcomes, because it's human nature to cooperate- an evolutionary thing.
>>
File: 1460019359573.png (17 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1460019359573.png
17 KB, 625x626
>>684416569
>>
>>684416837
that's literally what the med student is doing. He's saying "I JUST CAN'T TAKE MED SCHOOL" and quitting.
>>
It's selfish because you are completely disregarding the feelings of anyone around you. You are centered around your own emotions and neglect to realize the existence of others emotions. Hence the selfishness.
>>
>>684416818

Yeah.. Thanks for proving my argument. If you need a rope to hang your worthless ass from, I'll be happy to mail one to you. I'll even send it overnight
if it means I don't have to read your irrational retorts again.
>>
File: 1462788779568.jpg (350 KB, 1318x1197) Image search: [Google]
1462788779568.jpg
350 KB, 1318x1197
>>684417026
Oh lord you're pandering my word choice here.
>>
>>684417096
>quit your job
>quit your life

These are not the same thing.
>>
>>684417380
we call these "analogies," friend.
>>
>>684411377
>implying society needs you
you're unimportant.
you're replaceable.
it actually fucking matters nothing.
you faggots are so full of yourselves it's incredible.
>>
>>684411377
its not really, i think you'd be more of an hero for doing it
>>
>>684414423
>deal with something that was entirely avoidable.
So, you want to enlongate the pain by commuting suicide?
Along with your absence, there will be this lingering guilt that surrounds the people that care for you.
Unanswered questions that can never be answered. Was this my fault? Could I have stopped this? Why did they do it?
You really think killing yourself to end your own pain is justifiable, when another's happiness is at the expense? You could really sacrifice someone's content?
To me, that reflects the definition of selfishness very closely.
>>
>>684417310
>irrational
>t-that just proves my point!
good post, you should feel proud
>>
>>684417790
Please continue your mouth diarrhea. It's amusing. Like watching a monkey try to type.
>>
>>684415169
Then either you're extremely unlucky or you are really being shortsighted about who cares and doesn't care about you. Just because it feels like people don't care about you doesn't mean they don't care about you.
>>
>>684414672
It's not biologically programmed.
>>
File: RedArmy.jpg (191 KB, 566x557) Image search: [Google]
RedArmy.jpg
191 KB, 566x557
>>684411377
One of my councilors in a group session relating to mental health and substance abuse touched on an important point that is rarely stressed.

Your depression, anxiety, etc. is not selfish. the self destructive acts you commit while suffering from a disease are not selfish. It can hurt others, but your goal was not to do such. But you need to be selfish now and work towards your own goals and bettering your own life, most likely for the first time in a long time. Once you regain a sense of agency, life starts falling into place.

The people around you can be part of, or contribute to your problem. the most supportive people in your lives can unwittingly reinforce negative behaviors and feelings.

The best advice you'll ever get it to suck it up and get properly medicated and find a psychologist who isn't a massive idiot. The second best piece of advice you'll ever get is never tell a damn soul you are or ever feel suicidal. All that will do is get you collared for a psych hold an potentially make you a e facto second class citizen if you do not go voluntarily.

ironically /b/ is like a massive support group without the filter of niceties. Don't wallow in it, but feels threads.
>>
>>684411377
It denies others their ability to kill you; you are taking away what could be the only good they get from you, your death!
>>
>>684418010
>irrational retorts

So how do you justify letting people starve in africa so you can live a comfortable life here? Is it maybe because sometimes doing something selfish is okay?
>>
>>684416569
Bait or not I think this is one of the biggest problems with the American/western Perception of mental health, it's not a s fucking easy as 'stop being a whiny little coddled bitch and deal with it. I'd LOVE TO move on with my life and be normal and do normal shit, I am fully fucking aware I'm not a Pajeet living in a huge pile of shit in India or wherever, but hey I guess I'm just a whiny liberal coddled millennial attention whoreson who needs to grow the fuck up.
>>
>>684414915
Well, if you feel like you can't do anything about your own life (other than the pointless decision to an hero), perhaps help another. It costs nothing other than your time and gives you purpose.
>>
>>684416241
I would answer from the definition of selfish, that yeah, suicide is selfish. That's usually how I view a question like that.

To answer your question of if you have an obligation to others, probably not if you have no dependents. I've never really thought about obligations in general, rather than my personal obligations and goals.

If you don't want to live there isn't a whole lot to stop someone from leaving. But as someone with severe depression, I've never ever liked the idea of suicide. It seems like the most wasteful and retarded idea a person could commit, next to murder.
>>
File: UGU.jpg (13 KB, 384x216) Image search: [Google]
UGU.jpg
13 KB, 384x216
>You shouldn't kill yourself because in my opinon because it's just stupid
>Being selfish is telling your family or anybody you described as not being there for you or telling you to deal with it, to fuck off and go live life how YOU want to.
If you really feel the way that you feel why don't you just do whatever you want instead of kill yourself retard? Who cares anymore if your life is expendable to you dude? the possibility is now endless after that.
You're not selfish, you're just retarded/mentally ill.
Have fun killing yourself dude, don't be such a whiny faggot about it.
>>
>>684411377
you're forcing someone who doesn't care about you to pay for your funeral
>>
>>684411377
Someone has to clean up your body.
>>
>>684418561
>just do whatever you want
>except kill yourself, of course, it's unprincipled exception day
>>
>>684411377
You are stealing money from your country. It invested money in you by spending money on schools, etc
>>
>>684415831
I enjoy your point about life being a gift and the idea of wanting to give it back. That's not something I've thought about.

But as others have said, the idea of "you don't have to deal with the fallout of it anyways" pretty much defines suicide as selfish from this perspective.
>>
>>684413533
>implying suicide isn't illegal because you're damaging property of the state
check out this bluepilled faggot
>>
>>684418470
Sounds like it dude.
You're literally just giving in to that side of you that wants to beat yourself up and kill yourself.
If there's not a single shred of you left that wants to move on with whatever has happened and live your life.
Then
Stop
Wasting
Your
Fucking
Time.
Because it's a waste of time to tell you this again.
Being nice and babying you isn't gonna truly solve YOUR problems man.
It never solved the thousands of other much more life threatening and trauma inducing problems that people face too.
>>
>>684418785
I didn't say don't kill yourself
I said don't kill yourself by just putting a gun to your head and just ending it all man.
Fucking do whatever you wanted to do at least before that.
Go out and do the things you want before you kill yourself at the very least.
Because maybe it will give you a reason to carry on.
Feeling sorry for yourself or wanting other to feel sorry for you isn't gonna help you.
So stop, just go kill yourself already man.
If it makes you feel better, it's okay it's not selfish this one time.
>>
>>684416406
Hmm... Even though that I'm against suicide, and your points are fair, I disagree in one aspect.
I cannot accept the 'there's worse in the world, so suck it up' logic. Really, doesn't diminish the severity of the addressed sitution, in this case, suicide. Imagine if you said 'there are children dying in Africa' to someone who just half their stuff taken from a divorse or similar. Rape, lost family member, robbery, kidnapped and abuse, etc...
Depression is still a extreme case, but evidentally, suicide isn't fixing it.
>>
>>684419484
>Go out and do things
>implying at this point I would want to fucking do anything except kill myself
>>
>>684418337
it can often be the selfish acts of others that lead to one being depressed, stressed, you' are at the expense of another

after that its a balance of differences on hypocricy i guess, none are completely free

self reliance is better advice
>>
>>684419654
Another good point on this I've heard, to contrast the "there's worse in the world so you should be happy with what you have" is the "there are far more people in the world happier than you so why are you happy". Just a thought.
>>
>>684419484
>why don't you just do whatever you want instead of kill yourself

do you ever hang around depressed people? They're not like a barrel of fun. They don't sit around saying "curse my depression, now I can't skydive like I always wanted." The problem (for some of them) is that their immediate desire is actually to die.

Anhedonia is fucked up, man.
>>
File: mylife BEST DAY EVERRRRRRRR.jpg (148 KB, 790x1018) Image search: [Google]
mylife BEST DAY EVERRRRRRRR.jpg
148 KB, 790x1018
>>684419244
kill urself m8. or just go be a faggot somewhere else. you can't just cowboy up and fix a problem with the balance of serotonin and dopamine within the brain. Thats what he's already doing every day to appear normal and well adjusted while dealing with cunts like you all day.

>>684418470
medication is the answer. psychologists are hacks and get asshurt when you ask for pills, but ask for pills.

Wellbutrin blocks dopamine reuptake and works instantly. also it'll make you stop smoking, overeating, overdrinking, etc. because it operates along similar channels to the opiate treatment medicine naltrexone.
>also when you start it feels exactly like being a few bumps deep on coke. all day. It settles down but you'll see a massive increase in the ability and desire to accomplish tasks.

or go the SSRI route but that shit takes 1-3 months to take effect and if that specific medicine doesn't work you're finding out the hard way between feeling like a tired zombie.
>>
>>684416603
Sure, but the effort others put into you is vain. Albeit, they should be able to understand that you are an individual with your own thoughts, and some fester and grow, which is understandable.
In my opinion, people today are being too self absorbed, thinking inwards rather than outwards.
Get what you want from that.
>>
>>684419947
>Anhedonia
Had to google that lol. I'd say apathy from depression caused this for me personally.

People who haven't been depressed don't understand you can't just bring up desire to do things even on the brink of ending your life. "Smoke crack with a bunch of hookers and fuck yourself silly before you an hero" doesn't work if you have no interest in drugs, sex, food, sleep, money, and especially living.
>>
>>684420112
>people are too self absorbed
>this is why you should be beholden to the wishes and goal of other people... who are self absorbed and think inwards.
>>
>>684419745
eat chocolate and drink water in the sun while reading something, anything, english words on a screen or page, or draw pencil.. pen... stab paper, whatever
>>
File: metal-gear-solid-saga.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
metal-gear-solid-saga.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
No its cowardly, fight your problems or die trying.
>>
>>684420112
see >>684416962

>>684420168
shit really sucks, man. You just stare at something you used to like and wonder why it's not working anymore.
>>
>>684420538
thats fucking stupid and ignorant. shit like this is why mental health and coping mechanism literature written by people who have never experienced hardship reads so hollow.

you're a person writing about the dangers of fire who has never been burned. You have no frame of reference.
>>
>>684420538
The fact that you can suggest stuff like this shows you don't understand what it's really truly like to fight apathy.

I don't want to eat. I don't want to sleep. I don't want to use the bathroom even. I can sit for 18 hours and not do shit and just wonder why I feel so bad and can't get out of the thoughts I'm imprisoned in. It's not just thoughts though, it's feelings and habits you can't escape. You stop caring if people message you, if your girlfriend wants to have sex, or if your video games exist. Nothing matters. Something as simple as eating chocolate or stabbing paper has the same appeal as anything else, which is nothing.
>>
>>684420855
Stuff like that really does help sometimes. Little things are good, because you don't have as big a chance of getting anxious or hopeless about it and not trying it.
>>
>>684420783
Two days ago games stopped being fun.
Fucking video games I've played since kindergarten. My biggest hobby. Isn't fun.

Not that this isn't the first time, but whenever a depressive episode hits it fucking sucks.
>>
>>684421042
It doesn't matter if it helps or is pleasurable. It's not going to happen because a depressed person isn't going to give a fuck to try doing any of that shit.
>>
>>684421042
it has to be "little things" you actually enjoy. Only problem is that a major characteristic of depression is losing enjoyment in interests. meaning it doesn't fucking work. see >>684421147

it isn't a valid coping mechanism if you understand how depression affects an individual.

>>684421147
Meds
e
d
s

get on them. preferably something like bupropion that is fast acting or you know it won't work for you. you need to treat mental health the same as physical health. If you broke your arm you wouldn't sit around a man up to fix it, you'd go to a doctor.
>>
>>684421147
happened to me about the same time I got a job and could actually afford video games. What's weird is I kept buying games I'd wanted for forever, thinking that one would be different.
>>
>>684421688
Steam sales are killer cause I keep buying shit and never touch a single title in my library. oh well.

>>684421517
Yeh, I know about meds and have friends who it has worked on but I'm just in a position for a few months where I can't get em quite yet.
>>
>>684421883
well, they'll still be there. It's funny going through them afterward, because some of them are just absolute shit, and you're like "well, of course this one didn't fucking help, the fuck was I thinking?"
>>
>>684421883
you can buy zyban over the counter at any pharmacy; the same drug as wellbutrin, bupropion, but marketed for smoking cessation. start at 150mg a day for 2-4 weeks then bump up to 300mg. max does currently prescribed is 450mg a day due to an increase in seizure risks back when they were pumping fucks with 1000+mg of the stuff.

also thats fucking bullshit that you can't go to a clinic or general practice doctor, say "I am depressed, gib meds" and say no to "R u Anhero" because a forced 3 day hold will fuck up your life. This is the hump you need to get over to improve your mental health and general wellness. Or picking a fucking psychiatrist out of the phonebook within your insurance network and getting a prescription called in. generics through most prescription drug plans are 7-10 dollars.
>>
File: stirnerrrrrrr.jpg (5 KB, 200x175) Image search: [Google]
stirnerrrrrrr.jpg
5 KB, 200x175
>implying being selfish is bad
its your life, do what you want with it.
Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.