[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you faggots support Nuclear Power? And if no, why, and don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 212
Thread images: 26
File: Nuclear_Power_Plant_Cattenom.jpg (692 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Nuclear_Power_Plant_Cattenom.jpg
692 KB, 2048x1536
Do you faggots support Nuclear Power? And if no, why, and don't say cause of Radiation or Blowing up, get fucking educated.

>Also inb4 Nuclear Waste
>>
>>677507413
I support it.
>inb4 because of Allahu Akbar
>>
>>677507413
Radiation and blowing up.
Don't tell me what to do, Mr. Burns.
>>
>>677507413
>/technology/robots-sent-clean-fukushima-power-plant-have-died
>>
Support. Fission is an easy if only temporary fix until green energy becomes worthwhile and fusion becomes sustainable. But it needs a lot more R&D which it unfortunately it doesn't get because 1 causes environmental damage every few decades.
>>
>>677507413
i travelled through a small town in Canada that had a Uranium mine nearby and honestly it seems like a shitty situation.

Also, did you know Japan is sending its nuclear waste to New Mexico, USA?

"Currently, Japanese utilities possess over 47 metric tons of separated plutonium, which is equivalent to about 6,000 nuclear bombs."
>>
File: TX4MWVE.jpg (882 KB, 2288x1712) Image search: [Google]
TX4MWVE.jpg
882 KB, 2288x1712
>>677507413
it's great, and it's the cleanest power source we have.

what sucks is what we currently have built is all inefficient 1950s technology. I think the total fuel efficiency of a PWR reactor is only 8%, the rest goes to waste.
>>
NUCLEAR POWER IS THE WAY OF THE FUTURE! WE NEED TO GET RID OF ALL FOSSIL FUELS AND POWER EVERYTHING WITH NUCLEAR!

>Nuclear power plants
>Nuclear cars
>Nuclear spaceships
>Nuclear battery packs
>Nuclear fission to produce the necessary heavy water for nuclear fusion
>Nuclear fusion to produce the power of the fucking sun
>NUCLEAR FUCKING PLANET!

>FYI: It's Uranium and other nuclear elements that keep the planet's core all nice of soft of liquid metal. Without liquid core, no magnetosphere. No magnetosphere, and our atmosphere would be ripped off and kill us by the Sun's flares and wind! Dumbass environmentalists don't into nuclear power is only reason we live!!
>>
File: tna6r.jpg (43 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
tna6r.jpg
43 KB, 620x465
>>677507413
I support it because
1) it produces less pollution vs other non-renewables
2) produces a fuckton of power
3) produces less radioactive release than coal. FUCKING COAL
4) canuckfag, so other countries buying our uranium is good for the economy
5) also canuckfag, other countries license our reactor design because it is nigh-impossible to fuku your shit up

> plz buy our uranium not australia's
>>
>>677507413

Fukushima.

/thread
>>
>>677508294
how is it cleaner than solar or wind power? Nuclear creates useless radioactive waste that has to be buried in abandoned mines. Maybe think before you spew bullshit.
>>
>>677508294
CanDu reactors can use depleted uranium. Gotta love Canada
>>
>>677508533
> plz buy our uranium
You must be a saskfag.
>>
File: FkfRkaS.jpg (823 KB, 2288x1712) Image search: [Google]
FkfRkaS.jpg
823 KB, 2288x1712
>>677508634
solar and wind are not particularly useful for baseline load generation. neither will ever constitute a significant percentage of total power consumption for that very reason.

they are basically just a step above hippie wishful thinking.
>>
>>677508294
>cleanest power source we have
>solar power
are you a ratard?
>>
>>677507413
>BLack-souled shill.
>>
>>677508634
Noone uses mines. Yucca was scrapped http://www.nrc.gov/waste/spent-fuel-storage/dry-cask-storage.html
>>
File: made-in-canada.gif (11 KB, 325x325) Image search: [Google]
made-in-canada.gif
11 KB, 325x325
>>677508805
Canadians should use the CanadArm to put Canadian uranium mined in Canada into the Canadian built CanDu nuclear reactors that were designed in Canada
>>
>>677507413
compared to coal or natural gas? yes. also we need to look more into thorium reactors.

compared to more renewable sources? no. but we need better battery technology.
>>
>>677508618
What about it? A triple meltdown that had 5-10% the radioactive release as Chernobyl? If anything Fukushima showed how well our old reactors can contain in a worst case situation.

>Radiation Engineer
>Have been to Fukushima to move Fuel and come up with core recovery plans
>Have been to Chernobyl which is STILL unbeliveably fucked up
>>
>>677507413

Nuclear power is safe enough, as long as the people know what they're doing and everyone else is politically educated enough to actually demand actual safety standards for nuclear power AND to ferret out corruption.

With what we know, we can even enrich nuclear waste and turn it into nuclear fuel.

Sadly, while I am for nuclear power, I am also aware that people are too intellectually lazy to demand the transparency needed for nuclear power to be a reality. Or to educate themselves on it.
>>
To the people screaming about the Radioactive Waste, France and other EU countries reprocess their waste to recycle it. USA was going to do it but the Libtards kept blocking it, and now we are stuck with the waste we cant use. Thanks
>>
File: 93NbJc9.jpg (122 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
93NbJc9.jpg
122 KB, 1024x768
>>677509610
heh fukoshima actually had a containment vessel. Chernobyl was more or less an open pile type reactor with minimal to no containment.
>>
>>677509376

With British help.

>learn about ZEEP
>>
>>677509610
isn't it in a highly populated area, whereas Cherny was in buttfuck nowhere, Belarus?
>>
>>677508618

Fukushima was clearly a case of corruption-induced complacency.

There is no fucking way that should have happened if people were actually doing their jobs from the design phase onwards. And from what I've read, the blame lies squarely on TEPCO and the LDP being corrupt fucksticks.
>>
>>677509887
Thats the beauty of the Boiling Water Reactor Design, not one but TWO containments. While the Secondary Containment (Outer buildings you saw blow up) failed, the Primary containment held, and contained the majority of the Radioactive Material.
>>
>>677507413
nuclear is great because muh baseload
but living in a country that gets 50% of its energy from wind turbines i am grateful because every turbine is less space to build houses for terrorist immigrants.
>>
it's the best we have , at least short term.
>inb4 Chernobyl
even including all the victims from Chernobyl , fukushima etc , nuclear power still has the least amount of death/ Watt. So we should keep it until fusion is viable or we turn 100% renewable.
>>
>>677510210
OP here, you win with that argument.
>>
File: 1459453974073.png (892 KB, 623x622) Image search: [Google]
1459453974073.png
892 KB, 623x622
>>677510210
kek
>>
Yes. It's literally the greenest energy available. Just look at uranium.
>>
Absolutely. Better than most of our current alternatives. We should be using wind, solar, water power as much as we can and then nuclear to cover any needs beyond that.

My personal goal is to have solar on my future home and a small wind turbine - try to get off the grid so I can play vidya after the apocalypse.
>>
>>677509610
wait dude... if you're a radiation engineer... why don't they take the radioactive dust from Chernobyl, in small increments, and put it in an underground chamber filled with water to convert the water into heavy water to use in fusion research?

I've had this idea for a while. Since there's so fucking much, we should be able to produce massive amounts of heavy water for testing fusion reactors.

To also increase the radiation capture of the water, the larger particles can be ground up into more dust.

Also, is it true that baking borax into clothing causes the clothes to become a neutron absorber? I read that on a site about nuclear apocalypses and survival.

So, what do you think?
>>
>>677509055
ontariofag with an understanding of economic ripple effects
>>
>>677509852
New GE hitachi reactor will run on nuclear waste
>>
File: OP.jpg (43 KB, 570x587) Image search: [Google]
OP.jpg
43 KB, 570x587
I have a degree in environmental governance, sustainabilty so stop throwing out the useless saying off "hurr durr get eddukated!!!"

Im not going to bother getting into the science coz you obviously wont understand but nuclear power poses too many issues. Simply, its not safe when intergenerational equality is considered in relation to the potential damages it can cause to individuals (and the entire world).
It creates a waste product that takes 100,000 years to break down....
Even co2 gets processed within 40-50 years

Yes, i agree when used properly it can be a wonderful source of power, but unfortunately what chernobl and fukishima should teach us is that nuclear power is not free from human failures, and we're pretty good at fucking shit up
>>
>>677510210
what about the windfarms over water?
>>
>>677510210
Kek
>>
>>677509852
liberals are fucking stupid as shit...
>>
>>677510498
Heavy water is already fairly abundant enough in nature, plus a lot of the current nuclear reactors already produce that and Tritium due to Neutron Flux, as a byproduct.
>>
>>677507413
There is a Frontline show about Fukushima and almost all the damage was from the tsunami, not the earthquake.
1. We don't have tsunamis very much here, they are common in Japan.
2. Knowing they happen there the plant owners fucked a lot of things up. The seawall was only 1/3 of the height needed to protect the plant. If the emergency generators were on the roof instead of in the basement, they would not have been flooded and everything would have been fine.
>>
>>677510581
there's a GE Hitachi factory in my city and they seem to be fucking serious about security. BTW I live in Ontario
>>
>>677510248

And Chernobyl basically taught the world that politicians should stay the fuck away from anything related to the building and maintenance of nuclear powerplants.

Legislation, yes, but not the actual design and/or building and maintaining them. Politics tends to fuck things up, and nuclear powerplants should minimize fuckups where possible.
>>
>>677507413
Because the water vapor causes global warming and you have to store the waste in some sites where no one can access it for like 25 years
>>
If anyone here works with solar you terds just need to get better looking panels, or make fake panels to cover the gaps to the side. It just looks so ugly with a block of panels right in the middle of a roof.
>>
>>677510626
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2012/06/10/energys-deathprint-a-price-always-paid/#3d3678c349d2

Nothing is free of human error.
>>
>>677507413
Support
>Send the waste to space and work on thorium reactors to reduce ppl blowing up stuff
>>
File: opinionshit2.jpg (35 KB, 502x794) Image search: [Google]
opinionshit2.jpg
35 KB, 502x794
>>677510993
>>
>>677510714
Well, I was basically saying, since Chernobyl is a nuclear dust storm waiting to happen, and the sarcophagus redesign will be expensive as shit, why not use it to massively jump nuclear fusion research by producing insanely large amounts of heavy water?
Not "fairly abundant", as you say, I'm talking heavy water that can be produced and consumed by hundreds if not thousands of test reactors at once? I mean, at its height, Chernobyl produced like what, 30k Rads/hr? We could really use that to vastly increase the quantity of heavy water and just build hundreds and hundreds of test reactors across several tens of organizations.
No longer like 8 faggitz worldwide working on le chilly fusion, but like... several thousands of fusion researchers trying to get their reactors running cooler and cooler. A race to the top, a race to < 100°C that will benefit us all
>>
Those who say no to nuclear power because Fukushima, get real. What happened in Fukushima is very much more than the worst case scenario and the damage was minimal considering the severity of the possible damage. I believe every building in Japan is build to withstand earthquakes and typhoons and even some tsunamies, but getting hit by a big earthquake and tsunami nearly at the same time is far from planned. Damn, the Chernobyl was a lot worse accident and it was caused by idiots trying to overload very old reactor technology and not taking to account that the reactor doesn't stop like a car.

All of the renewable energies are more or less useless when it comes to getting a lot of power constantly. Windmills work only when there's strong enough wind and when there isn't they acctually eat power to keep the generator lubricated and in running condition. Solarcells need sunlight and if you are not ready to to change all of the deserts into a huge solarcell farms, you are going nowhere and even then you would get times when there's just not enought sunlight to power the grid. Water is probably the only thing that can give constant power, but then you need to damn every single river and create a lot of artifical lakes and they bring probably more problems than the used nuclear fuel rods.
>>
>>677507413
No because of the radiation. We can't possibly clean it if it blows up and spreads nuclear radiation every where.
>>
File: 1447490476703.jpg (45 KB, 528x543) Image search: [Google]
1447490476703.jpg
45 KB, 528x543
I've always wondered, doesn't the water used for cooling come close enough to the rods to actually absorb some radiation?
>>
>>677511933
Nope, any water that is outside of the primary loop never contacts reactor water, unless there is a leak. If there is a leak, then it is usually handled pretty quickly, but it is a big can of worms.
>>
>>677511933
Yes, but the majority is N16 which decays over a few seconds. That water is also not released to the environment without being surveyed. Tritium is the only thing routinely released, but in such small amounts it's negligable
>>
>>677508618
Literally zero deaths occurred due to the reactor meltdown.
>>
>>677511933

yes, the water thats used to cool the rods is kept in a closed loop, the heat is transferred to a separate piping system and thats what it turned into steam. unless the setup is different, and the steam simply isnt released into the environment, and is also a closed loop
>>
>>677507413
Actually i dont support this I FUCKING RUN FROM IT YOU NIGGER
>>
>>677507413
Nuclear power is the only sensible method of generating enough power to run the world as it is now, that is why I support it. It is also fucktons of cleaner than coal or oil or whatever the fuck archaic power plants still run everywhere, even despite generating nuclear waste.

Jusr hoping that in the near-ish future we get a cleaner source of energy that can reliably generate power at the same, or higher, capacity.
>>
File: 1404614643709.png (8 KB, 363x364) Image search: [Google]
1404614643709.png
8 KB, 363x364
>>677512389

>calls someone else a nigger
>is afraid of technology
>>
>>677507940
Well no fucking shit, unshielded electronics get fucked by radiation.
>>
File: yourbrainondrugs.gif (261 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
yourbrainondrugs.gif
261 KB, 320x180
>>677507413
Yes completely.

>All of the nuclear plants in the US are over-engineered
>cheap power
>relatively inexpensive to build
>environmentally friendly when maintained properly

San Onofre is something the people should be mad about. The price to replace the faulty Mistubishi Electric steam generators is far cheaper than decommissioning the plant entirely. The price for decommissioning it was largely pushed off onto the people(customers pay 70% of the decommissioning cost), the price of electricity for Southern California Edison customers rose as the power supply was much less after the reactors went offline, and the power company and the state legislators that were lobbied into shutting it down are swimming in cash.
>>
>>677508294
It really isn't at all clean when you take into taking care of the waste products. It has to be stored for thousands of years.
>>
>>677507413
I just entered the thread to let you know that I don't really care about the subject.

But please... continue discussing the pros and cons of nuclear energy, anons -- im sure you're all very knowledgeable about nuclear energy.
>>
>>677507413
what we really need is better energy storage technology.

lithium batteries are shit. Figure out graphene batteries. we'd only need renewables to charge them up.
>>
File: YOU FUCKING RUH TARD.jpg (19 KB, 245x240) Image search: [Google]
YOU FUCKING RUH TARD.jpg
19 KB, 245x240
Fukushima?
Chernobyl
3-Mile Island

Nope. Notice you fox news-watching retards have been talking a lot about nuclear energy lately. Again. And the answer is NO.

Goddam idiots.
>>
>>677507716
it's Kurns you idiot!
>>
File: fuelcomparison[1].jpg (21 KB, 317x183) Image search: [Google]
fuelcomparison[1].jpg
21 KB, 317x183
Fun little factoid - 1kg of "clean coal" power generates 8kWh of heat, while 1kg of uranium 235 in a reactor generates 24,000,000kWh of heat.
>>
>>677512776
Thorium reactors son. Shit decays in a few centuries, not hundreds of thousands of years.
>>
File: GoodFellaLaugh.gif (2 MB, 230x175) Image search: [Google]
GoodFellaLaugh.gif
2 MB, 230x175
>>677510626
>a degree in environmental governance
>>
>>677508255
the plutonium made in light water reactors is super shitty for nuclear bombs due to excess Pu 240. It gives off neutrons easy and actually fucks bombs up for being usable
>>
>>677507413
Because of the fact that most nuclear power plant accidents are the result of internal sabotage by people working in them. I don't like the idea that some disgruntled asshole could potentially create another Chernobyl because he's butthurt.

Get educated nigga. If this shit was full-proof then I'd be 100% on board but it just isn't. I say that as someone who lives very close to a nuclear power plant, so close that if they had some "issue" I would be completely fucked.
>>
File: wBpirJK.jpg (322 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
wBpirJK.jpg
322 KB, 1600x1200
>>677512776
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_reprocessing

you don't get rid of all of it, obviously, but with reprocessing you greatly reduce the waste

this technology has been around since the 70s, but the US (under Lyndon Johnson I believe) decided not to invest in it
>>
>>677511933
The radiation isn't the problem, the irradiated dust is. Something needs to sit hours and hours in radiation to get irradiated or get to direct contact with radiating material. The cooling water isn't in direct contact with the rods so direct contamination isn't happening, also the water has a quite huge flow through the reactor so it doesn't have time to get irradiated. Water is also pretty good radiation shield, you acctually can swim in a pool-type reactor without getting radiation, as long as you don't get too close to the rods.
>>
>>677512862
Has Faux news been shilling nuclear lately?
>>
>>677508533
I heard the CANDU shit is fucking top notch shit
>>
another fun little factoid - radiation doses from living near a coal plant is 50-200% higher than living close to a nuclear plant. Another interesting thing is that the saftey regulations around coal allow people to live much closer to them compared to nuclear plants.
>>
>>677513176
burning coal and natural gas doesn't need a disgruntled asshole to fuck up your life. it does that as a natural function of its process.
>>
>>677509348
Most of the worlds nuclear waste is stored in Australian underground disposal sites which where originally excavated for lucrative ore extraction. Once again an Americunt doesn't understand the sheer insignificance of his nation.

America also exports nuclear waste to Western Australia. We are the nuclear material centre of the world, in a nutshell.
>>
>>677507413
it's not only the danger of radiation, but have you any idea how much it costs to store that radioactive garbage? it's in the billions. It's just not economically and nuclear power got subsidised a lot over the years.
>>
>>677513476
big time
>>
>>677507413
yes, thorium molten salt reactor.
>>
>>677513762
Ahhh, so that's why my uncle keeps bringing it up. He's a good little Fux news goy
>>
>>677513654
Better than what used to be shitty Africa
>>
>>677513654
>the world stores its nuclear waste in 'straya
>he calls 'murca insignificant

ayyyyy lmao
>>
Nuclear power's dangers are more preferable than another dark age so yeah. Plus I live in a desert so the only natural disasters I encounter are droughts really.
>>
>>677509111
>solar power
>not nuclear
How did the sun work again?
>>
>>677510976
More like 2500 years.
>>
>>677513531
the thing with higher radiation near a coal power plant is because of the c14 which get's excavated. but c14 decays in nitrogen and an electron (+ electron antineutrino). that's not as harmful as neutron or gamma radiation
>>
File: 1457753141794.jpg (84 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1457753141794.jpg
84 KB, 640x480
>>677507413
i fucked a girl for awhile who worked at a place like homer.
she'd come over sometimes while her boyfriend was away after school.

once the door would close she'd almost instantly get naked. most times she'd put on her favorite song and start sucking. then she would cry. her tears and makeup would drip down her face onto my dick. its surprising how cold tears are. eventually i finally asked her what was wrong. in between licks she told me that her favorite song was also her bfs favorite song. so even though she loved hearing it and it totally got her pussy wet, it also made her think about the fact that she was cheating on her boyfriend. i dont think i ever came harder down somebodies throat then right after she told me that. she was beautiful. we dont hang out anymore. wanna get lunch?

this was the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSPe8dIJEtw
>>
>>677513654
http://www.radioactivewaste.gov.au/radioactive-waste-australia/australias-radioactive-waste

Australia doesn't allow radioactive waste imports, retard. According to the ausi-fag governent, the majority of your waste is from medical waste.

Herr ameri-cunts cause all the world's problems.
>>
>>677513039
Deuterium-Tritium fusion is one hellofa interesting possibility. The reactor itself during the process is radioactive as fuck, but produces.. Negligible amounts of waste.

Also, both deuterium and tritium can be gotten from seawater.

Working deuterium-tritium fusion plants could run the world with seawater for millions of years.
>>
>>677514552
Where was it? I work at a nuke currently.
>>
>>677511374
That's a really fucking expensive little idea you have their anon.
Do you have any idea just how much it would cost to take nuclear waste far enough outside of the limits of our solar magnetic fields to prevent it from the unfortunate event of becoming introduced back into our atmosphere? There is so much shit orbiting the planet at the moment, let alone stuff which could potentially be scattered across the skies in a storm of charged particles. Holy fucking shit, what a potential nightmare.
>>
>>677508634
You know what kind of waste is produced to make them? Plus they are not efficent and require alot of land mass. Plus if its cloudy or not windy. These are very inefficent for large scale production
>>
File: radium-fireplace[1].jpg (87 KB, 580x336) Image search: [Google]
radium-fireplace[1].jpg
87 KB, 580x336
of course nuclear energy is safe
>>
I support nuclear power because it is the only way to provide enough energy to run the world.

though nuclear energy is very dangerous if used improperly, IE Fukushima, which was due to the japanese crew of the reactor being complete retard and not following the procedures.

Nuclear waste sure is a problem which should be taken seriously, obviously dumping them into the ocean is plain stupid, and sending them into the sun would be far too dangerous for us, the only way I know to safely get rid of those is to burry them in a geologicaly stable place, where it won't be able to contaminate anything.

Nuclear Power is a need if we want a cleaner earth, it emits almost no CO2 and produces a hell lot of electricity.

Also, just think about how much more electricity we would require if we used electric propelled cars, this much electricity won't be provided by solar panels ...
>>
>>677515473
>this much electricity won't be provided by solar panels

Todays panels, at least. The technology is constantly improving - but yeah I agree with you
>>
>>677512862
>Liberal cunt (You)
>>
>>677507413
I support safe nuclear power. But How2Pay for safe nuclear power?
>>
>>677515025
Sending nuclear waste in space has already been studied, and it has been considered unsafe due to the risks of accident and the catastrophic issue which would result of an exploding space cargo filled with nuclear waste.

It isn't a bad idea but when it comes to space launches, there's never a 0 risk of failure for the launcher.
>>
well how about radiation AND blowing up.
>>
>>677515733
Of course it will improve, but so will nuclear energy.

Renewable energy such as solar, wind, hydroelectric plants are great but they couldn't provide energy for big nations such as the USA, France, Germany or the UK.

Nuclear power should be the core of the power production, with a fixed rate, and alternatives energy should take the last percentage to allow a safety margin, since the energy consumption varies depending of the hour and the time of the year.
>>
>>677513039
Yeah no, it doesn't "decay" in a few centuries just like that. Let me guess, you graduated from Wikipedia University with honors?
>>
>>677516024
The explosions aren't really the dangerous part, anon.
>>
>>677507413
I support using thorium
>>
>>677516024
Chernobyl and SL1 are the only ones that really blew up. They both exceeded the pressure ratings on their vessels and had a steam explosion. They were more like dirty bombs than atomic bombs
>>
i live in B.C. retards banned mining our uranium, wouldn't want our economy recovering or anything guys!
>>
>>677515839
nothing is a 100% safe, the only thing you can do is minimizing the risk for an accident. and it's definitely not fair to let future generations pay for that. and the worst part is, nuclear energy (coal too) gets heavily subsidised and any damage to the environment or higher cost of health care is paid by the people and not by the companies who make a huge profit out of it.
>>
>>677508634
>useless radioactive waste
Waste from nuclear reactors can be recycles in breeder reactors that also can produce energy and other useful sources of radiation.
>>
>>677516682
Our days are numbered on our little rock anyways. Why should we not use the energy that can actually keep as going in the present?
>>
>>677513193
The technology hasn't been around on an industrial scale, which is all that fucking matters.
It's all well and good to point to theory but in the real that isn't how things work and if you think America and other large nations are going to move away from nuclear technology that supports their nuclear arms mutually assured annihilation deadlock, you're more naive than I assumed. They need the ability to produce and safe harbour weapons grade nuclear materials for political bullshit reasons that mean more to them than clearer long term energy ever will.
>>
Well, we need something to meet up with the exponential growing demand of electricity. Especially in densely populated cities with limited space and with exponential growth.
>>
>>677508805
Nuke Operator from CANDU station here.
We use Natural uranium (and occasionally depleted bundles from time to time to lower any power peaks in parts of the core.
>>
>>677517032
no, that's a very egocentric point of view.
or how would you react if someone would make a profit out of something which hurts your well being or would even kill you?
>>
>>677517140
Nuclear antiproliferation has prevented us from creating new nuclear weapons. This is why we keep dumping money into updating the existing weapons. But you are right, the current state of nuclear power is a result of the nuclear arms race
>>
but seriously, anyone know how to make centrifuges above 200,000rpm?
>>
File: Launch codes.png (188 KB, 713x400) Image search: [Google]
Launch codes.png
188 KB, 713x400
>>677517609
>>
I support ppl on welfare
>>
>>677508480
but uranium is a fossil fuel
>>
>>677517609
sure, that's not that hard
>>
>>677517708
Lots of uranium in dinosaurs and million year old plant life.
>>
>>677507413
Not at all, until society gets smart enough to not turn everything into weapons. Forced evolution/progression is and will be our downfall unless we can all focus on science as a whole and get smarter. Life isnt like fallout.
>>
>>677507413
I support nuclear power for civilised stable societies.

I don't support third world shitholes trying to run reactors.
>>
>>677507413
Radiation, Blowing up and Waste. Three very real problems. Get educated.

Also: the production of the fuel is dirty, and it's not an endless resource. The wrong track to go down, when there are completely renewable options just around the corner.
Also: It's not a decentralised system, making it vulnerable to attacks. Decentralised, small scale renewable sources look real promising atm.
>>
>>677510443
>Just look at uranium
Now my head hurts and my hair is falling out. Is this normal?
>>
>>677518165
do you have any fucking idea how fast tech advanced in WWI and WWII???
>>
>>677507413
Great innovation. As soon as we have a method to cheaply and easily launch the waste into space it will be even better.
>>
>>677507413
>Also inb4 Nuclear Waste

So why answer your own question dumbass? Or do you think leaving untold gallons of toxic garbage poison sludge laying around is a great idea when you could just use sun light and batteries?
>>
>>677518295
I do. And it was the coming of the downfall of man, after heroshima and nagasaki we learned we could destroy the planet a hundred times over with our creation.
>>
>>677518267
It is, if you put your head inside the reactor. Don't do it.
>>
>>677517140
France uses this on an industrial scale.

Also, the EPR is designed to run with 100% reprocessed fuel.
>>
>>677509852
>much boogyman Liberals I can blame all my problems on
If anything it's conservative politicians with money in oil companies that block it so it doesn't undermine their wealth.
And conservative voters who think NUCULAR power is bad because the same politicians tell Fox News to tell them so.
>>
>>677517708
not really, uranium is usually produced during a supernova through nucleosynthesis
>>
Best type of energy
>>
>>677507413
Yes I do because it's the cleanest most efficient modern form of energy

Just make sure in say... A Fukushima experience, that the wall shielding the plant from water is high enough....................................
>>
>>677518405
Lying around you can just stick it in a barrel and it's so dangerous that you could habit in your bed room and be fine
>>
>>677507413
>inb4 the massive drawback that the world has no way to solve and no foreseeable solution in the next 10 years
op if you wanna act like a retard there are better ways
>>
File: Tzar Bomba.gif (137 KB, 865x534) Image search: [Google]
Tzar Bomba.gif
137 KB, 865x534
>>677518505
only the tzar was big enough to scare me
>>
>>677518359
no, it is not a cheap energy source - it gets heavily subsidised and and the true costs are much higher (cost of environmental damage, health care issues,...)
>>
>>677518989
If any nuke hit next door, you would be scared. Welcome to acid rain and fallout, not to mention hellish rashes from radation poisioning. You would live in debris for awhile, depending if your government cared to save you.
>>
>>677519269
i live in a very low priority place to nuke, am surrounded by mountains, AND live in concrete basement
>>
>>677518750

Used fuel... Not so much. The waste is dangerous, but can be concentrated into small volumes and managed.
>>
>>677519510
Then you can enjoy anarchy and rebuilding your society or die trying. Depending on where you live and what powers are at work.
>>
>>677508011
You faggot "greend energy" will never be sustainable. That's why the rich donthe invest in it. People don't like things that don't work and don't make money.
>>
>>677519739
that would be good, our government needs to die
>>
>>677518709
Well, the Fukushima reactor survived both the earthquake and the tsunami.

What it didn't survive, tho, was the electricity blackout which resulted from the tsunami, since the generators got flooded.

In such case, the pumps couldn't get the water to flow inside the reactor, and the condenser had to be opened by the reactor's crew manually, so that the reactor could still be refrigerated.

>The crew wasn't trained for this particular case
> The safety manuals were at the Tepco headquarters, not in the reacotr
> The crew didn't manually opened the condenser
> Water evaporating
> Reactor starting to heat up
> Reactor melting

All they had to do was follow the damn rules, which they should have known.

It was a human failure, not a technical failure.
>>
>>677519897
While i dont disagree. Do you have the knowledge to live without a supermarket? Are you secluded enough a invading force wouldnt find you and force you into whatever they want or kill you?
>>
>>677520187
i can only see people invading for our wood honestly, and yes i am armed
>>
>>677520546

> Where are you from anon ? Greenland ?
>>
>>677509111
You do realize that in order to make solar panels you have to undergo quite a few different process that make highly toxic and waste materials that last for "forever" so don't spew that "clean energy" bullshit.
>>
>>677519815
with the right infrastructure it would.
and the thing with some "investors" is, they don't feel obligated to take any kind of responsibility for anything they invest in. they would invest in the apocalypse if they would gain some short term profit from it.
>>
>>677508255
>metric ton
>nuclerar bomb

Nice units amerifats
>>
>>677520546
You're armed. Not armed for a army and they could come to you for reasons you couldnt even understand or know, but alright rambo i guess you got it all figured out. Hope you know how to grow crops and hunt non radiated animals without a geiger counter. B4 u say you wont be nuked, animals can migrate from anywhere, who knows if radiated bees could radiate other plants you plan to eat.
>>
>>677521304
>implying i dont have access to a geigercounter
>>
>>677507413

Fission? No.

Fusion? Yes.

But NP is fission, and will be for the medium to longterm future. So no.

It's an inherently unsafe technology, which ruins economies, and destroys lives, and the environment, if it fucks up. Plus, there's shitloads of high level waste that will be around forever that we don't know what to do with.

Plus, it's a corrupt industry which doesn't take safety seriously, and the KW per £ ratio is getting smaller all the time, and making less sense to alternatives with every passing year.

NP shills are the worst kind of shills. How about you dumb fucks get educated?
>>
>>677521304
>Irradiated bees
>Bees
Nigga there's some anmimals that would get instakilled by rads.
Insects are some of these fucks.
Real life isn't a game, stop claiming to know what the fuck you speak of.
>>
>>677521226
False. The farms I've worked on have gone far away from "green energy" because it's so expensive to put in, maintain and has Uchiha little impact that it's honestly worthless. If my multi millionaire and multi billionaire boss doesent do it because it's worthless then honestly it's worthless. If guys could cut out their power bill for a 3000 acre farm with Barnes and shops that all need power then don't you think they would jump on it? But it's not possible since you would need ANOTHER 3000 acres to build shit on it.
>>
>>677508634
>>677509111
But nucular (its pronounced this way brsos) plant works also at night, witch is ~50 % of day if you forgot. And also IT works when weather is shitty, like raims and clouds. So if you compare all of that it works 70%-80% times more than foto faggy voltanics
>>
>>677521894
Yeah thats why roaches can survive. Keep acting like you know what your talking about.
>>
>>677520984
what is retard alex
>>
>>677522426
I found a dead roach in a high rad area the other day. It could have been radiation, but is suspect foul play.
>>
>>677510248
I dont know about Fukushima but charnobyl has about 30-35 victims. Mainly because it happened in ussr and people carried radioactive graphite bare hands and without protective clothing
>>
>>677507413
Objectively bad for the planet and its inhabitants.

We are also living organisms who rely on oxygen and healty planet for food and water. Radiation fucks everything it touches, and actually give an educated answer on why nuclear waste is a good thing in the first place, nevermind where it gets dumped.

It appears clean coz its not a fossil fuel, more deadly however, and volatile.

Only thing nuclear power does it make it easier for humans to consume more and kill our own habitat faster
>>
>>677509610

You're a tard.

Fukushima almost caused the whole north of Japan to be written off.

If those spent fuel pools had caught fire, which they very well could have, they'd have laid waste to the north of Japan, and might have meant Tokyo needing to be evacuated, it would've absolutely ruined Japan.

And even still, Fukushima is still releasing highly radioactive water into the Pacific every day, and TEPCO can't contain it.

Japan was lucky in that most of the fallout blew out towards the Pacific, but not all of it did and there are some very highly contaminated regions in the north east. And what's more, the clean up will cost the Japanese tens of billions of dollars to clean up.

Japan showed that fission is an inherently unsafe technology that can ruin nations.

That's what it showed.

Japan actually got lucky that it wasn't worse.
>>
File: autism.gif (128 KB, 728x426) Image search: [Google]
autism.gif
128 KB, 728x426
>>677507413
Dump the waste into a blackhole in space.
>>
>>677522989
Do you think metal fuel in water is going to catch on fire? If you're thinking of the zircaloy water reaction, that doest happen till like 600C
>>
>>677522842
fukushima has long term deaths, all the people who stayed to make sure shit didnt go bad all have terminal cancer and are jailed as heroes in japan. the area had been evacuated so they could of left and no one would of died but they chose to stay knowing they would die from the residual affects of the radiation
dont know if that counts as victims for you but there are be victims
>>
>>677522989
the vast majority of people in japan heavily support nuclear power, because they aren't fucking stupid and understand that's what their economy runs on.
>>
>>677507413
Cheap clean power for all. We should have 2 in every city
>>
>>677522811
Let me debunk you. 100 rads equal 1 gy.
It takes a 1000gy to insta kill roaches. In theory you would die as well or should die soon.
>>
>>677522989
As said before, it was a human error, you can't blame nuclear energy for this.

How about we just blow up fucking hydroelectric plants and let full countries get flooded ? Shall we blame the whole hydroelectric thing because some retard couldn't read the fucking instructions ?
>>
>>677523300

No, the pools were structurally damaged and were/are above ground, if they were damaged enough to lose water, and they did have a small leak at at least one, running dry would be a serious risk.

And once they run dry, you're utterly fucked.

They'll burn uncontrolled and you've written off a whole nation.
>>
>>677507413
Pollution...
>>
>>677522017
no, your multi billionaire boss doesn't do it because he doesn't care about the damages of the environment, the toxic waste and it's effect on the health of people or the next generations which would inherit the waste... in short he is an egocentric ass who cares only about himself. He's quiet an asocial fellow....
>>
>>677523593
Research reactor. We have beam ports to bypass shielding for experiments requiring high gamma and neutron fluxes. Poor little fella might have actually taken that.
>>
File: Not even trying.jpg (22 KB, 627x626) Image search: [Google]
Not even trying.jpg
22 KB, 627x626
>>677510626
Not even good bait :/
>>
>>677512558
The robots were specially made for the task you asshat.
>>
+1 . The waste is exported to third worlsd countries, so why not?
>>
>>677523593
the lethal dose for a human is about 7gy full body exposure
>>
File: Mr. Burns.jpg (134 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Mr. Burns.jpg
134 KB, 1280x720
>>677507716

>2016
>not knowing Mr Burns is real and that he can tell you what to do.
>>
have a 500 pack of idodine tablets, if shit happens I wont worry
>>
>>677524017
Thought it was 3-5?
>>
>>677523784
Meh, believe what you want. There is a reason he's rich and your not. I'm gonna go with the person who is making alot more money for smart choices
>>
>>677513193
More pics like this?
>>
>>677523517

No, they don't.

Fukushima has helped totally swing most of the Japanese against it.

Most of their NPPs are still switched off to my knowledge and their right wing government that's cosy with TEPCO and the NP industry has been trying to switch them back on - to much opposition from the Japanese who don't trust their government or the industry to guarantee their safety.

And they can't:

A - Because it's inherently dangerous as per fission

And B- because TEPCO and the like have figures in the government who shill for them, they have an incestuous relationship with the state and have done for decades, and they don't take safety seriously and they've shown themselves continual liars about the state of the plants they manage.

They wanted to abandon the whole Fukushima Daichi site when it went to shit, only for the then prime minister to intervene and tell them to stay out and do their fucking jobs.
>>
>>677524161
Doesnt work for all radation. FYI
>>
>>677524533
Doesnt decide intelligence or sympathy.
Tesla died broke and was smarter than anyone who lived.
>>
>>677524533
so you would go with people who would kill you for a profit... that's interesting...
>>
It quite obvious we're dealing with a force we know jack shit about. Go with renewable till more research is produced.
>>
>>677507413

Sure, there is enough of a nuclear arsenal that can be decommissioned in order to seriously facilitate the transition FROM fossil fuels.

Let's do it.
>>
I'm going to go ahead and admit I know nothing about nuclear energy, therefore it scares me and I do not believe any government functioning today or any time in the past is responsible enough to keep us safe.

Aren't there much better options anyway? Solar could be used a whole lot more than it is.
>>
>>677526415
No one here knows anything more than you, but at least we're pretending to. Can't you try at least?
>>
>>677524105

Mr. Burns is the antithesis of Michael Sandel from Harvard.

It really is. K, friend?
>>
>>677507413

>do you like something incredible dangerous which could be replaced without any problems?

>inb4 the three major reasons not to like it

that's not how it works OP

fag.
>>
>>677523752
One of the primary risks to the public from a meltdown is the release of radioactive gas. This would dilute a lot in the atmosphere and be negligable by the time it reaches other cities. Without graphite, the fuel won't catch on fire; it's metal. The iodine and cesium would have been largely contained by the pool itself. The area they would have effected were already evacuated
>>
>>677527108
not quite .... I majored in radiation technology and radiation protection
>>
>>677527108
Worked at 3 power plants, ChemE with minor in nuclear engineering
>>
File: 1453664182344.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1453664182344.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>677507413
Molten Salt Reactors should be implemented right now and I think after a while they just might. Much safer than conventional water to water heat transfer reactors. Nuclear is the future not the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knofNX7HCbg
>>
File: 1337747112580.jpg (5 KB, 251x233) Image search: [Google]
1337747112580.jpg
5 KB, 251x233
>>677527861
>>677528002
Why are you on board full of retards?
>>
>>677527861
Wow get a real major like women's studies you fucking pleb
>>
>>677528254
This guy gets it
>>
>>677528479
well... it's sometimes really funny how stupid people behave... kinda like a child running against a glas door
>>
>>677518568
>nucleosynthesis
you mean nuclear fusion?
dont be using big words.
>>
>>677528522
nah.... I'd rather do some physics - much more interesting
>>
>>677508480
Nuclear cars, no.

It is preddy cool that a nuclear powered aircraft carrier can travel around the earth for 30 years, only getting refueled once.
>>
>>677528479
Im just really bored and nothing good is on /s or /hc
>>
>>677528887
well, but it's called that way
>>
>>677509599
natural gas isnt too bad
>>
>>677510861
Its because the fucktards directly copied the station design from american stations in the midwest designed for tornadoes
>>
>>677527826

You're talking shite.

Now I know you're a full blown shill.

The xenon gases, which contained all sorts of harmful isotopes like Cs137 etc, from the meltdowns travelled all the way around the world.

They're not at all diluted in region of the accident, and that's why there's a heavily contaminated exclusion zone around Fukushima.

If the spent fuel pools would have ran dry they would have caught fire. The water protects the fuel rods from the atmosphere and provides the cooling.

The rods are still hot even once they're spent and they need cooling.

You lose that water and they melt, and the zirconium cladding will burn. The whole pool would burn if it ran dry.

That is an unthinkable disaster and would have heavily contaminated the whole of the north of Japan with a staggering amount of fallout. It would've posed a real threat to the West coast of the U.S.

You don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>677511702
>earthquakes cause tsunamis
>not expecting an earthquake and tsunami at the same time
>full retard
Thread replies: 212
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.