[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is there an still an electoral college?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 10
Why is there an still an electoral college?
>>
they are talking about changing but enough states have to agree in order to make it happen. But yes I agree the electoral college is the dumbest shit ever
>>
File: 1441492676657.gif (2 MB, 395x350) Image search: [Google]
1441492676657.gif
2 MB, 395x350
>>668114026
Because people are stupid.
>>
>>668114026
I never understood why popular vote isn't a thing. Do any of the new democracies in the world use this system?
>>
>>668114026
polls measure whats popular not whats right. Electing a popular representative is a middle-ground between low information and high information voters - the most popular high information representative. See how the two are combined? Not perfectly, but a compromise that is favorable to either extreme.
>>
>>668115738
I don't see what you mean actually. The vast majority of voters have numerous outlets to get informed on each candidate. You're comment made sense back in the times where people still received information via carrier pigeon.
>>
>>668116748
>have numerous outlets to get informed
but they don't use them is his point that is why they are
>low information voters
>>
>>668116748
most of those numerous sources are biased media outlets
>>
>>668114026
yeah, why isn't regular college good enough?
>>
>>668114026
because if the people got what they want, the country would be much different than it is today and not such a shithole
>>
>>668117199
Regardless I still feel like you didn't really answer my question. What does right and wrong have to do with anything? The fact is we should use a popular vote, then candidates might actually give a fuck about all the states rather than the 10 swing states.
>>
>>668114026
>because without it how would the government rig elections

i think the electoral college should be done away with and they should have voting licenses that you have to test to obtain. A mix between knowing the political system common sense and ethics as well as a general eduacation test should be required every so often to obtain such a license
>>
>>668114026
Yin: Those in power will not give it up.
Yang: Do you really want the 'class president' running the country?
>>
When a citizen votes for Obama. He is voting for the State delegate who will represent Obama at the Electoral College. The representative will elect Obama at the Electoral College. The popular vote for that state will also show Obama.

Literally every 1st world country has an Electoral College.
>>
>>668117853
then candidates would only care about high population states or do you think every state should caucus
>>
File: 1452935961071.gif (479 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1452935961071.gif
479 KB, 500x281
>>668118374
>>
There would be huge changes in voter turnout if we did away with this shit system, if you are a republican in California, why even bother voting? It doesn't count at all!!!!

If we did away with it, tons of voters would come out and actually let their voice be heard.
>>
>>668114026
Ummm.. America is a Constitutional Republic . . . rather than a true Democracy?
>>
>>668118431
but the state delegate can vote against the popular vote
>implying the electoral college isn't used just to rig elections in anyway the government wants
>>
>>668118431
>Literally every 1st world country has an Electoral College.
Unless you define “1st world country” as applying to the U.S. exclusively, you are completely, utterly, and, yes, literally incorrect.
>>
File: foxnews2.jpg (2 MB, 1857x1137) Image search: [Google]
foxnews2.jpg
2 MB, 1857x1137
>>668114026
Because the leader in the presidential election is Donald Trump.

If democracy actually worked the way people think it does, this twat would have been president for the last 8 years.

Fortunately the powers that be are going to shove Trump into a corner and well end up with Cruz or Christie as the republican frontrunner.
>>
>>668118800

That is true, but not once in history has someone done it.

Please provide the source from when any state delegate has ever gone against their initial position.
>>
>>668118431
There's been situations where the popular vote was different from the electoral college.
>>
>>668118814

Canada and UK is based on Electoral college... There are under different names though. Simple google my friend
>>
>>668119233
>implying we all know what happens behind closed doors

show me a non government or media source that shows it's never happened
>>
>>668118374
>Do you really want the 'class president' running the country?

Yes? Why else have a democracy?
>>
>>668114026
So while dipshits vote for trump, America has the ability to give a big fuck you and go with someone else
>>
>>668114026
to get bush the lesser elected
>>
>>668119615
So if it was 'popular' to push a law into effect that would give every american a share of the gold in Fort Knox ( Which doesn't really serve a purpose anymore ) it would be ok?

Or would you want someone in some position of authority to say "No that would be a bad idea" ( Assuming we were still on the gold standard )
>>
>>668119518

I don't see why I have to do work when you can't already prove to me the essence of your statement.

No one ever says pigs can fly without ever seeing a pig fly. Unless they heard it from some random guy thinking it is the truth.
>>
>literally who is still talking
>>
>>668118451
Candidates wouldn't care about states regardless of size. It would be a popular vote. I'd expect candidates to go to places with large populations, not exclusively to swing states where they don't already know they will win.
>>
>>668120098
Pigs *do* fly when you throw them with enough force.

Some you can toss by hand, some need a Trebuchet.
>>
File: 200w.gif (76 KB, 200x113) Image search: [Google]
200w.gif
76 KB, 200x113
>>668119043
kek
>trickle down theory
>works for her
>>
>>668120240

>literally

Hipster detected
>>
>>668119615

>Yes? Why else have a democracy?
Who said the US is a democracy?
>>
>>668114241
>>668114241
I used to fell that way.

This election is the first election I'm glad it exists.

People voting for Hilary because she's a woman.
People voting for Trump because hw makes sense.
People voting for Bernie because he means well.

People are fucking retarded
>>
>>668120364
Yeah..
>>
>>668120333

And Santa will show up if you stay nice this year.
>>
>>668120030
Regardless of any hypothetical you can think of, how does the electoral college protect against electing the wrong guy? Cause each state has delegates that represent the larger mass of the populous? I don't get your thought process.
>>
>>668120511
It's a republic.
>>
>>668114026
>>668114026
Because democracy is probably the worst possible form of government. Why on Earth would you let a collection of uneducated individuals select people they themselves can empathize with?

When you vote, you're basically voting for the individual that most aligns with your political thinking. So if you're an uneducated dumbshit, you're going to vote for an uneducated dumbshit or someone smart enough to get your dumbass to vote for them.

Would any of you in this thread trust the consensus of 100 random individuals of your city, on how to go about performing your brain-surgery? Didn't think so. So why would you trust that same 100 people to pick someone who can safely and effectively navigate international politics and dealings?
>>
>>668120098
there have been 157 cases of faithless electors as of 2015 you must beyond fucking stupid arguing it's never happened and if it's happened and people know about then there is a very high chance that it has happened and been covered up or gone unnoticed
>>
>>668120511
You got me, it's currently a republic but I'm arguing we should be a democracy.
>>
You people do know that when you vote for the candidate, you are not voting for the actual presidential candidate, but giving the Electoral College delegate a vote.

So when Obama got voted, his votes actually went to the guy representing Obama at the Electoral college.

The reason why other states have more power is because they have more senators and more congress = they have more power and contribute more to the US economy than other states.

This is all coming from a Canadian u dumbasses, we have the same system.
>>
>>668114026
From what I remember in history class, it had to do with the Southern states. They could count their slaves as the populace, but obviously wouldn't allow them to vote. That way, they could get a lot of electors due to the high number of slaves.
Yet another reason to hate the South.
>>
>>668120823
The whole purpose of the electoral college at the time was to make a sound decision in case those that weren't of the 'upper class' made decisions contrary to what was deemed 'sensible' to the 'common good'.

Today it can still be used to vote contrary to electing someone completely unqualified. Which sadly in this election is all three leading candidates.

If I could pick my poison it would be Trump simply for the fact the journey down the toilet would at least be a 'quality' ride.
>>
The electoral college is a throw back to votes being delivered via horseback. At the time it was logical. But like most laws. Negating it is near impossible.
>>
>>668120921
This fucker gets it.

It's also the reasoning behind the electoral college.
>>
File: wut ever.gif (106 KB, 220x161) Image search: [Google]
wut ever.gif
106 KB, 220x161
>>668120728
>Yeah..
>tickledown theory
The sucker in the van is rocking it like it she needs it better than the other sucker
>>
>>668120936

Oh gee, 1 random guy every 10 years.

>electoralcollegeriggedillumanticonfirmed
>>
>>668120364
she has 3 teeth, a 3rd grade education and smells like a fucking ashtray. She's a shining example of conservatism. William F. Buckley would be proud.
>>
>>668121446
>The whole purpose of the electoral college at the time
>at the time

I completely understand why it existed when it was created. You've got it right. So why in modern times do we still have an electoral college again?
>>
File: deneeho.gif (892 KB, 226x200) Image search: [Google]
deneeho.gif
892 KB, 226x200
>>668121883
kekekek
>>
>>668120921
It's a popular vote to get the electoral college votes. Why do we need a middle man exactly? Especially when said middle man makes a large portion of his votes not matter.
>>
>>668121349

>The reason why other states have more power is because they have more senators and more congress
2 Senators per state.
>= they have more power and contribute more to the US economy than other states.
Wrong. The number of Congressional representatives are based on population of the state.

Otherwise, you were close.
>>
>>668121773
>mad because you thought you were right
>was wrong someone knew it and proved it
>now butthurt and yelling conspiracy theorist

and those are just the known ones that's also a lot more than one every ten years unless the U.S. has been around 1000+ years
>>
>>668114026
republic =/= democracy.

US is a republic, not a democracy.

one of the differences is the voting system.
>>
>>668121892
I am debating with myself on a suitable response, and find myself poorly qualified to provide an answer of any authority outside a complete guess.

Lacking a reason I cannot continue the debate in it's favor. This is neither acceptance of defeat but rather deferral of the conversation to others with a better argument.
>>
>>668114026
>Why is there an still an electoral college?
It gives the little guy a shot. And by little guy I mean the republicans. If it goes kaput they'll have to literally reanimate Reagan's corpse to win another election.
>>
>>668122531

Don't mind me while I chisel that away
>>
File: FeelTheBern.jpg (174 KB, 746x954) Image search: [Google]
FeelTheBern.jpg
174 KB, 746x954
>>668121883
Keep on confirming those biases.
>>
>>668122562

99% in history have been faithful.

1% +/- error and randomness.

You got me.
>>
>>668114026
I actually approve of the electoral college. Though not perfect, it's a system designed to prevent retards from entering the presidency.
But again, you can't always tell who are the bad ones. We didn't know Nixon or Harding would do what they did, so...
>>
>>668123076
What?
>>
>>668123343
are you saying 1% doesn't matter because 1% runs the country buddy you can't be this stupid
>>
>>668123617

It was a metaphor of me changing the shape of my logic. Or otherwise, learning from my mistakes.
>>
>>668123471

>We didn't know Nixon or Harding would do what they did
what they did?
>>
>>668122576
You didn't answer OPs question.

You just restated it.
>>
>>668123820
Ahh. Got it.
>>
File: now how do u figure that.gif (4 MB, 415x272) Image search: [Google]
now how do u figure that.gif
4 MB, 415x272
>>668123126
A gay LGBT revolution isn't on Bernie's agenda as far as publicly.
The logo on this must mean your for it
>>
>>668123777

No I am saying that there is bound to be error in anything.

Thus out of 200 years of presidential candidates and electoral colleges, 1% went against the norm (some actually died because of natural causes)

If your true intent is to discover some hidden and corrupt conspiracy embedded in the system, you won't find it.

The whole system is corrupt. It started from UK, and lives in America now. You want to change America? Change the Western World.

Too much to change in one lifetime? Go outside and enjoy your life.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.