[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we talk about the connection between Karate and Kung-fu?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: 1365543426811.jpg (26 KB, 309x535) Image search: [Google]
1365543426811.jpg
26 KB, 309x535
Can we talk about the connection between Karate and Kung-fu?

So far I got (do correct me):

In Naha-Te
From Ryu Ryu Ko (White Crane) come Unshu, Seisan, Shihohai, Sochin, Niseishi, and Sanchin
From Wanshu (White crane?) came Wanshu

In Shuri-Te
From Kushanku, who learned Chuan-fa in Fukien province (Does it have a modern descendant?), could come passai (and kushanku)
Naihanchi I & II, passai, seisan, gojushiho passed through Matsumura, who's master was Sakugawa Kanga, he also learned some Yang tai chi in Beijing
"hakutsuru" is from White Crane
From Annan (no idea of what he practiced) comes chinto

In Tomari-Te
Some Teruya taught Passai, Rohai, and Wanshu. While Uku taught Naifanchi
Passai, Jutte, Jion, Jiin and Wanshu could have passed through Tomari first before getting to the others
>>
>>1244531
>Can we talk about the connection between Karate and Kung-fu?
Yes.
>>
>>1244531
I'm actually intrigued by this. Can you elaborate a bit more and explain the different concepts?
>>
>>1244923
It's very rough and I think there are some books who explain it better, I just hopped around wikipedia

Arakaki Seishō (> Higaonna Kanryō > goju-ryu founder) "was famous for teaching the kata Unshu, Seisan (Hangetsu), Shihohai, Sōchin, Niseishi (Nijushiho), and Sanchin"
"travelled to Beijing in September 1870"
"His only recorded martial arts instructor from this period was Wai Xinxian" (Ryu Ryu Ko, who practiced Fujian white crane)
Nowadays Sanchin has even the same name in both white crane and goju-ryu
Wanshu (Empi) is named after Wang, a diplomat who practiced white crane

Chinto (Gankaku) was taught by Annan, a chinese sailor
Matsumura learning Yang Tai Chi in Beijing I got it from the japanese wikipedia page

>>1244930
What's What's cuck about being weeb? If anything it's the ultimate anti-cuck
>>
a
>>
>>1244531

Another theory about Passai is it came from XingYi's Lianhuan. Both contain a lot of small steps and changes of direction, so you could argue both routines were developed to practice the maintaining of body structure during irregular movement, but I haven't looked too deeply and honestly the few articles I read on it could have been complete bullshit.

Tensho definitely has the feel of a southern Chinese form, would be surprised if it didn't have some kind of origin there.
>>
File: fist.gif (16 KB, 262x301) Image search: [Google]
fist.gif
16 KB, 262x301
basically a rough draft kung fu went to okinawa where it was developed into goju and then spread to the rest of the world due to it being the most effective fighting style ever conceived

youre welcome
>>
>>1244531
Punk ass Japs stole shit from the Chinks.
>>
>>1252407
>developed into goju and then spread to the rest of the world due to it being the most effective fighting
You got that right!
Goju Karate is not only great for self defense, but is a great grappling art, it's a great striking art, and it's a hybrid striking and grappling art, it's a great art for Combat Sambo and even MMA.
>>
>>1252407
>rough draft
Pretty much all founding figures of what became goju-ryu went to fuzhou and studied white crane
>>
What I'm more interested in is the other branches
Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUQsCwMY1lc is what sparked my interest

>>1252349
They do have some resemblance
>>
I always wonder why white crane ended up being an influence on so many different systems, presumably Quanzhou being a fuckhuge port and center of trade has something to do with it.
>>
>>1257085
What else did it influence other than Wing-chun?
>>
File: 3252461413535.jpg (6 KB, 261x193) Image search: [Google]
3252461413535.jpg
6 KB, 261x193
>>1244531
I'm a practitioner of Chuan Fa, but the roots of one of my GM are questionable (the one that actually identifies as "White Tiger" kempo karate/kung fu). I've never actually studied into how martial arts intermingled between the two countries, but this thread looks really promising.
>>1244930
>watches hot women out of their league participating in mandrama only to jackoff latter alone
>calls >>1244531 a cuck
>>
Dates/ time spans?
>>
>>1245123
don't expect someone here to know the meaning of the word cuck
>>
>>1260022
shut up, you cuck
>>
>>1252407
Do FMA always been tempted to take up Goju ryu as well.
>>
File: KU-Lineage-Chart.png (213 KB, 1379x1054) Image search: [Google]
KU-Lineage-Chart.png
213 KB, 1379x1054
>>1259952
Found this
>>
>>1244531
>>>/a/
>>
>>1265624
Fuck off /wwe/ neckbeard. People who actually participate in the alternative sports they enjoy are talking.
>>
>>1266838
This wwe needs it's own board
>>
>>1267051
Then plea for chink moot to make a board for your brand of autism. Until then, stick to your own damn threads.

>we welcomed them with open arms
>now the rape our land
>>
>>1257217
The basic forms and stances are in some versions of Karate kata.
>>
>>1267411
I mean, other than that
>>
>>1267051
If mods just deleted half of the 20 wwe threads it wouldn't even be a problem
>>
>>1244531

>>>/qa/ to talk about the state of boards
>>
a
>>
bamp
>>
How popular of a kata is Sanchin? My school has a form with the same name (in meaning), but it's completely different.I'm really curious as to how it was originally intended to be used.
>>
>>1244531
>Can we talk about the connection between Karate and Kung-fu?
That's not important. What's important is that Goju Karate is based.
>>
>>1281128
>false flagging goju this hard
>>
>>1282152
But what marital art could possibly be better than Goju Karate?
>>
File: 1462664024512.gif (996 KB, 500x204) Image search: [Google]
1462664024512.gif
996 KB, 500x204
>>1282444
>perpetuating that style is more important than practitioner
>>
>>1279276
Pretty popular, in some styles they say it's the foundation
>>
>>1282973
When the practitioners are exactly the same, when they're clones, the only difference is the style.
>>
>>1283438
>not taking into consideration that different instructors teach differently
I'd rather take a good Shotokan school over a shitty Goju McDojo
>>
>>1284579
Are you admitting that Goju is better than Shotokan if Goju was taught well?
>>
>>1284846
Goju seems to align closer in training method to what I believe is effective. Yes, everyone has bias, but that still doesn't make one style better then the other.

Practitioner>Lineage>Style
>>
I'm a goju practitionner, and I'm ashamed at theses freaking faggot who ruins the reputation of my art.
Goju is nor the best or the worst karate school, it's designed to slap faggot ass like every other martial art. Now, shut the fuck up and go back to talk about history, that's the point of the thread.
>>
>>1286429
In case you haven't been around, Gojufag went around posting about how he's 2deadly or some shit, and then bitched out of a fight saying he got stabbed.
Now, Goju is our new meme.
>>
>>1286470
>Now, Goju is our new meme.
It's actually getting a little stale. We need a new meme.
>>
>>1244531
I'd love to if I knew anything about it.
>>
>>1288348
this
>>
a
>>
>>1245123
>I think there are some books who explain it better
Try McCarthy's translation of the Bubishi. It has a lot of lineage talk in it. Although iirc it doesn't go too much in depth about the specific katas but rather sticks to the various theories about the origins of the styles.
>>
>>1291554
bomp
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPlqjQWnVHE
>>
>>1299784
what is this?

Why does he likes to expose his crotch to a knee?
>>
>>1252407
>>1253000
goju fag please go
>>
Since you guys keep making fun of goju-ryu, what's your opinion on shito-ryu?
>>
>>1301043
>Why does he like to expose his crotch
Don't you like to feel sexy on video?
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.