[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Altitude Masks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: mask-2.jpg (54 KB, 872x362) Image search: [Google]
mask-2.jpg
54 KB, 872x362
So are these things just a scam? I'm training for Mma and I'm looking for something that can help improve my cardio routine.
>>
This thing got me hooked too, i d like an opinion too

>nice thread OP
>>
File: 1.jpg (24 KB, 500x536) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
24 KB, 500x536
Tell me about OP. Why does he wear the mask?
>>
firstly.
they have not been proven to do anything yet, they are being sold based on a theory of what they are supposed to do

second
people who train at altitude don't leave altitude in between training sessions, they live there for a few weeks which is what causes their bodies to get acclimated. You might train with that thing on for an hour, and then spend the next 23 walking around saturated in normal oxygen levels.

third
unless you are a professional athlete there is no reason to be training at altitude anyway. As a hobbyist or amateur in what ever sport you do, you aren't going to be facing anybody with such elite skills that a few extra red blood cells will be the factor that makes or breaks you
>>
>>759469
i've seen some pro train with this(pushing weights with the mask on) and my theory is its more about getting your body and mind ready to work when youre gassed/out of breath, than not getting gassed in the first place
>>
>>759471
that isn't the claim they make. They suggest training with the mask on will cause the same physiological changes in your body as training at high altitude.

also side note, if you wear one of these at the gym everybody thinks you look like a tool and makes fun of you when you're not looking

and now that I'm just spit balling here. Proper breathing technique is an essential part of any sport that requires you to move around a lot. You shouldn't be doing anything that restricts your ability to practice proper breathing
>>
>>759473
It doesn't do that though.

The major reason you see some fighters training with these:

Training Mask sponsors a lot of fighters (lots of our pros are sponsored by them)
Fighters aren't always the brightest group of people
>>
>>759489
I am of the opinion that pro fighters are all dopes. Its a fleeting existence, even if you make a lot of money you will burn through it really fast since you have to retire young and then have no skills to actually earn more money for yourself.
>>
>>759499
>even if you make a lot of money you will burn through it really fast since you have to retire young and then have no skills to actually earn more money for yourself

Coaching? Teaching? Selling electric griddles?

Anyway, you're an idiot if you're making a big purse and spending it. You're supposed to find a building with three Jews' names on the front door and give it to them to make some real money, some of which they'll even give to you.
>>
>>759451
All the mask can do is make your diaphragm work harder. This is not an effect of high altitude, and while it may slow your breathing rate, there's no evidence that your body responds to anything except actual thin air by increasing RBC counts and capillary density.
>>
>>760448
Didn't BJ Penn sleep in a reduced oxygen tent?
>>
>>759451
>lanklet comes into my gym wearing on of these
>entire gym filled with the sound of his breathing
>This happens right around all the hype for the new starwars
>pretend he's Darth Vader in my head
>whenever he used equipment near me I would have to go to the washroom to laugh for 5 mins
>as he leaves the gym he gives me dirty looks
>I think he heard me laughing
>>
>>759451
Honest OP, I have it. I was skeptical at first, but I sweat so much with it, now when i try to do cardio with out. Its crazy, so much stamina, hardly run out of breath. I do alot of H.I.I.T
>>
>>760722
probably just gave you dirty looks because youre a manlet

or because he knew youd make a gym story post outside of /fit/
>>
>>760615
BJ Penn did a lot of dumb shit and squandered his best fighting years.
>>
>>759451
Nope.

Like the other posters said, you need to spend time in altitude for any changes to happen.
>>
>>760178
>supposed to

Yeah but no. Most fighters are idiots.
>>
>>760615
>Eat junky food
>Got in to the best shape of his life, wins fight, stops training with people who made him do just that
>Move rocks underwater

Yeah seriously, don't do anything BJ does.
>>
>>759451
It's about as effective as those magic wrist bands that supposedly improved your balance because of the hologram packed with SCIENCE
>>
>>759451
Short answer: yes, it's a scam

Long answer: high altitude training reduces the amount of oxygen in the air, your body makes more blood cells to compensate, altitude training masks restrict the air you get, just making it hard to breathe with none of the benefits
>>
I think we must ask ourselves, do people with sleep apnea have better cardio? what about people with deviated septums?
they don't have more red blood cells, they just develop heart disease from it having to pump harder to make up the difference
>>
high altitude training works, but these masks don't.
>>
>>764563
huh? it's pretty simple, like this guy says >>764524
>>
>>764584
i have no idea what you're doing
>>
>>760615
actually he did the opposite, slept in a hyperbaric chamber. where you get more oxygen at a higher pressure
>>
>live in Colorado
>still sell altitude masks at the gym

but why
>>
Norwegian skiers stopped using these and just do high-altitude training now, they're useless.
>>
My favorite attitude era mask was Kanes tbhfam
>>
>>759469
this
>>
File: cap-reg-blk-cavengerp_01.jpg (13 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
cap-reg-blk-cavengerp_01.jpg
13 KB, 400x400
i accidentally bought one of those when I was looking for a cold mask instead, it can get quite cold in the winter when i'm skiing.

it was horrifying, can't believe people wear them.
>>
>>766236
I know which cold mask your talking about get that one instead it works well.
>>
I bought one to prep for some training I was going to do in Bridgeport cali, I was stationed in NC sea level and i think it helped a little when I got there.
Did a fitness test 3 mile run first day there to show us how breathing wasn't going to be easy there and I didn't do as bad as most of the other military there. Some claimed they were good runners, they claimed better times than mine but in the run I beat them.
my training routine before going out there was running almost everyday a min of 3 miles with it on.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.