[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Amateur boxing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 1442819229511.gif (4 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1442819229511.gif
4 MB, 320x240
How long should I train before I start amateur fighting?
So far it's been almost 2 years (boxing)
>>
When you know you can win.
>>
>>756731

You learn more from real fights, anon.

So if you want to learn, you should have been entering amateur competition long ago IMO.
>>
When your daily route is 4-5 miles
When you can spar effectively for 6 rounds
When you can work the heavy bag aggressively for 6 rounds

When your coach thinks you're ready.
>>
Oh, and when you know you can seriously hurt the other guy. Remember, boxing isn't some ethnic dance nonsense. Make sure you bloody at least one nose in a real fight first.
>>
>>756844
You seem like the least retarded guy on here so thanks man!
>>
>>756998
Kek
>>
>>756998
>taking anything wu-style says seriously
>>
>>756998

Holy fuck. The first person I'm sure really is Wu on this board is the one who doesn't have the name.
>>
>>756731
i have no training boxing i taught myself everything from theory and logic and watching some people fight [spoiler]and anime[/spoiler]
can you critique my form
https://youtu.be/pndWJ9ragv8
>>
>>757106
Bump
>>
>>757106
I've only been boxing for about nine months now, but a couple of things I noticed off the bat.

1 - The camera is too close and we can't really see your footwork, so I can't exactly tell where your power is generating from.
2 - Based on how blown up you get after about 20 seconds of swinging, you're probably throwing your punches with only your arms. You need to generate and push off from your feet through your hips and then whip out your arms using that momentum.
3 - More important than that though is your recovery speed. You seem to have decent pulback into your stance, but you're wasting a lot of energy because it looks, again, like it's all arms.
4 - You're punches tend to end really low and leave your head open
5 - You're chambering a lot of punches low and leaving your head open
6 - You're pulling your hooks too far back, they should almost come from your face and your hip rotation should be where the power is generated from (starting with a twisting foot)
7 - You've got no head movement whatsoever
8 - You're most likely moving around the bag stiff-legged, which is bad for footwork and power generation, but most newbies start that way.

Loosen up, relax, worry more about form than power, and make sure you're throwing the punches right and quick before you try and unload on the bag.
>>
>>757165
that wasn't winded there was a tarp under my feet and it kept slipping but i was training for about half an hour before this.
>>
>>757165
here is part 1 for reference i noticed my hands were down in this one the whole time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRbHYDlkWcQ
so i fixed that or at elast tried to
>>
>>757175
Yeah, you definitely improved from that.

Try thinking that your hands HAVE to return to your jaw/cheek after EVERY punch as fast as you can make them.

Like I said earlier, relaxing and leaving your guard open for as little time as possible is most important.
>>
>>757182
Also, I can't believe I didn't notice this, but BEND YOUR KNEES when you throw your punches. Don't just stand there upright and don't just bend at the waist.

You should have a little drop in your stance when you throw because of your front foot taking a little step. Your opponent isn't going to just stand there and let you hit them, they're going to move backwards or around you and you are going to have to close the distance.

Additionally, if your opponent parries or slips your punch, they're going to retaliate with something. Bending your knees and getting underneath the punch will insure that you don't get tagged after your punch is hypothetically dodged or deflected.
>>
>>757184
even for a straight? but that defeats the purpose no?
>>
File: 1441340635197.png (83 KB, 490x500) Image search: [Google]
1441340635197.png
83 KB, 490x500
>>757194
replying to wu
>>
>>757194
No. Please don't argue, I am more informed.

As I was saying, you have to BEND KNEES when you throw either a straight or a jabbing punch, in order to sit into the punch and bring more power.

In China, this technique is called "Qigong". It brings forth real energy. I advise it sincerely.
>>
>>757262
Ignore this faggot.

>>757194
How does bending your knees defeat the purpose of a straight?

I don't mean go into some stupid kung fu squat, I mean that you should be taking a small advancing step and bending your knees as you jab or straight to both sit on your punches and avoid counters from your opponent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6u5IImctY0

The red guy is an amateur boxer and the guy in grey is a pro. Watch how within the first ten or so seconds every time red throws a punch he has a little step forward that both closes the distance and drops his head and center even slightly. That's what a textbook jab should look like.
>>
>>757277
Ignore this faggot.

>>757194
Please don't argue, I am more informed. Thank you. The other pleb is insulting martial arts and shouldn't be trusted.

As I was saying, you have to BEND KNEES when you throw either a straight or a jabbing punch, in order to sit into the punch and bring more power.

In China, this technique is called "Qigong". It brings forth real energy. I advise it sincerely.
>>
>>757106
Shit technique. Look for a gym with a good coach who can teach you correctly if you want to improve
If not, keep throwing your arms against the bag like a retard
>>
>>757106
hahahahaha omg
I'm so glad I never tried to teach myself boxing
You can tell right away his disgusting shit form that would make him the bottom 1% in amateur scene

No reach, hands are always below shoulder level, power only comes from his arms, no combo speed, weird ass anime punches every once in a while.
>takes himself seriously but doesn't have any power that allows him to hit bags without wraps or gloves.
I needed this comedy video today, thanks bro.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.