[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is muay Thai actually effective in a street fight? some people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 12
File: 1.jpg (246 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
246 KB, 1680x1050
is muay Thai actually effective in a street fight? some people say it is because it's extremely destructive and very offense-based, others tell me it isn't because kicking is largely unnefective on a street fight. what is your experience?
>>
File: future.jpg (91 KB, 593x960) Image search: [Google]
future.jpg
91 KB, 593x960
Only boxing and grappling (1v1 only) is effective on street fight.
>>
>>806507
It's fine. Leg kicks are great but I wouldn't bother with anything above the waist.
>>
>>806507
Any trained person (with sparring) will have an upper hand on an untrained fighter (unarmed) or a thug with no formal training. Kicking isn't ineffective, but a missed kick could set you up for a counter.

Which is better for you depends largely on: why you want to fight and what suits you best.

General consesus is (arguably) that:
0. Firenship is the most powerful MA of all
1. Pipebombs are the best MA if you have no friends
2. Parkour is a close second
3. Going to the ground is generally a bad idea, because lava, syringes and rule 0.
4. "there are no rules on teh streetz" is bullshit

My personal addendums:
Avoiding fights is better than not avoiding them. You never know when someone will pull a knife on you.
If you're mening self-defense you should so some theory too.
>>
>>806556
forgot: boxing is arguably the discipline that will give you the fastest results, if you need something "right now"
>>
>>806556
>parkour? I thought parkour was running and jumping over fences/obstacles/etc. I mean I guess the best way to win a street fight is escaping lol so in that case it's probably the best...
>>
>>806585
You get the idea right.

If you're OP you need to post some more details to get a meaningful advice. (the why, mainly)
>>
File: mortal-kombat-irl.gif (2 MB, 410x318) Image search: [Google]
mortal-kombat-irl.gif
2 MB, 410x318
>>806554
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRZSv-u-fZQ
>>
>>806554
>but I wouldn't bother with anything above the waist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm3tag2DhVk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0ld3Buf83Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYUb--qGkMc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUyyWGGfEjI
>>
Wherever I go outside I just wear my muay thai shorts, that way my kicks aren't restricted by Jeans, And lets potential attackers know I am very skilled. I usually put lots of oddly shaped objects in my pockets to keep people guessing what kind of weapon I am carrying. Because of this, no one has ever wanted to fight me on the street
So yes, op, muay thai is extremely effective
>>
File: mcdonalds-condom.jpg (25 KB, 475x280) Image search: [Google]
mcdonalds-condom.jpg
25 KB, 475x280
>>806628
B-but you can't go into McDonald's without a shirt on...
>>
>>806609
>>806597
are you guys stupid? he didn't mean that it never works he meant as in its alot more risky.
>>
It probably one of the best because in street foghts youll probably be clinched on a lot. Knees and elbows in clinch are great.
>>
>>806786
Fukkin this. If your opponent rushes or throws flurries or tries to grab, the clinch work will be amazing. Elbows and knees are truly devastating. Most untrained ppl don't train abs to take hits so a knee to the midsection will take their wind and a elbow to the eyebrow, temple, or chin means the fight will end in your favor.
>>
>>806507
Yes. The stuff that works for the trained killers (e.g. Jose Aldo, Anderson Silva etc) will probably work against some drunken bum or ghetto boy
>>
File: seals-fire-team-hr.jpg (433 KB, 1600x1007) Image search: [Google]
seals-fire-team-hr.jpg
433 KB, 1600x1007
>>806811
>The stuff that works for the trained killers (e.g. Jose Aldo, Anderson Silva etc)
kek
>>
>>806507

>is muay Thai actually effective in a street fight?

Muay Thai in gerneral or only kicking?
MT has clinch, punching, elboows, knees, kicks, so it's very versatile.

>kicking is largely unnefective on a street fight.

I'd say kicking is "higher risk, higher reward"..
It's much harder to learn than punching because of serveral resons and takes much more time. But a good kick is something very unexpected and powerfull.

So relying on kicks ONLY is probably a bad strategy. But the ability to throw a kick when the other guy does't expect it is a good thing.
>>
File: rua-stomp_large.jpg (71 KB, 450x383) Image search: [Google]
rua-stomp_large.jpg
71 KB, 450x383
>>806507
It's fucking CRUSHINGLY effective in the streets, not even because of kicks or any strikes, but purely because of all the wicked fucking sweeps.

People forget that there is a strong grappling element to Muay Thai.

If you get thrown over onto your back in a street fight, the next thing that usually happens is, you get fucking Chute Boxe'd.

Now is there some leg-lock magician who can slap on an insane 360 double-inverted heel-hook from there? Yeah, maybe. But what are the odds of you getting into a street fight with another trained martial artist? Extremely low in most cases.

Most street conflicts, the skill level is quite, quite low. And Muay Thai is particularly devastating against sperglords who mistakenly think they know how to fight.

It's against aggressive, wild, reckless opponents that knees and elbows and kicks really do their most vicious damage.
>>
>>806931
>I'd say kicking is "higher risk, higher reward"..
Only if you suck at kicking, or try a fancy kick without having excelled in Taekwondo or something.
>>
>>806931
Kicking is as high risk high reward as throwing a cross is overcommitting compared to a jab.
>>
>>807489
>But what are the odds of you getting into a street fight with another trained martial artist?
You're on 4chan, you should know this better than anyone.
The world is full of edgy teenagers, and those edgy teenagers have access to martial arts.
Teenagers do stupid shit all the time, especially when they have their hands on things. Give edgy teenagers fireworks, and they fuck around. Give edgy teenagers alcohol, and they fuck around. Give edgy teenagers a bb gun or a slingshot, they fuck around.
Guess what happens when you teach them martial arts?
Even if the sensei knows that the teenager is edgy and therefore more of a trouble maker than the normal stupid teenagers, there're bills to pay and numerous reasons as to why the sensei would teach the edgy teenager.
>>
>>806507
Elbows, Knees (from clinch) and Fists are all effective in a street fight.

Kicks are an opening that can be easily exploited by multiple attackers.
(one kamikaze takes or catches the kick, tackles you and puts you on the ground, then you get jumped/stomped)

Elbows are underrated.
The fists of a boxer are priceless.
>>
>>807523
wet pavement,
No matter how good at taekwondo you are, the wrong shoes or floor can put on your your ass before your kick connects.

In 1v1, even outside, ending up on your ass isn't the end of a fight.

Against multiple it is,
Same as BJJ, if the fight ends up on the ground and there is more than one opponent, your are an easy target for a kick to the back of the head from the guy your wrestling's mate.
>>
>>806809
Plus you have nice sweeps and throws.
>>
The best martial art for a street fight would be kram maga because its designed specifically for it
>>
>>806908
>wearing full seals gear and weapons in the streets
>>
Things that work 1v1, no weapons:
Most martial arts

Things that work 1v1, maybe weapons:
Boxing, Kickboxing.
Lets you fucking run if things go south. Guy Mezger head kicked some knife fag, there's videos on youtube of mexicans fighting, one pulls out a knife, but still gets ktfo'ed anyway.

Things that work 1 v Many, no weapons:
Boxing, usually pared down to good footwork, jabs, and the occasional rare cross. Kicks are too slow and plant you for too long.

Things that work 1 v Many, with weapons:
Nothing, you're probably going to die. Either that or you need to have vastly better weapons than they do.
>>
The best martial art for street fights with weapons or against many people is krav maga because it was designed for those sort of things
>>
>>808568
unless you're in the israeli army, krav fags please go
>>
Well dude some technics in krav maga can't even be practiced because they are designed to kill
>>
>>808524
Gun fu
>>
The only thing that works in a street fight are hammer fists and the obligatory blows to the vulnerable spots.

Hammer fists are better than punches in just about every way. They hit super hard and don't fuck up the bones in your hand.

Then you run away.
>>
>>807523
there are many other factors that can make kicking higher risk wrong shoes, slippery ground, uneven ground, how drunk you are, how much space you have. your probably not gonna be barefoot completely sober in a flat ring when you get into a fight.
>>
File: ELBOOWS.png (795 KB, 984x926) Image search: [Google]
ELBOOWS.png
795 KB, 984x926
>>806931
>elboows
>>
>>808641
when you drunk, you can use drunken fist. 100% effectivve.
>>
File: pipebombfags BTFO.jpg (37 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
pipebombfags BTFO.jpg
37 KB, 640x480
>>806556
>1. Pipebombs are the best MA if you have no friends
Under no circumstances.
>>
>>808372
>wet pavement
It's like you've never fought on muddy, slippery grass before.
>>
>>806628
>that way my kicks aren't restricted by Jeans
Are you stupid? I can kick the head of a 200cm tall guy with my jeans on.
>>806634
You can't go into gym if you eat at McFatty
>>
Running is a really underrated self defense skill. Unless cornered in an alley or in an extremely contained environment, you can always run, especially when alone. 3 times a week, 5 sets of 10sec sprints followed by 1min of rest will prepare you for some good ol' self defense running. My sprints and cardio have improved vastly from it after only about a month.
>>
>>809882
But consider the following.
What if, hear you, just what if you were to combine sprinting, yes, sprinting, combine it with... Parkour?!
Parkour!
It's genius!
>>
>>806507
>kicking is largely unnefective on a street fight.
-people who can't kick from shit
>>
>>813848
>>kicking is largely effective on a street fight.

-people who have literally never hit anything outside of a controlled environment under the supervision of a referee
>>
>>817570
- people who have never gotten into a fight in their lives
>>
>>817570
I understand where you're coming from here, but I don't think you can argue that kicks are ineffective in a street fight, providing you're quick enough to pull them off without leaving yourself open. If you're fighting someone with experience it's risky, but if you're going against some drunk idiot with no training, a swift kick to the knee would surely stop them, at least for a moment.
>>
>>813848
kicking is effective but its risky outside of a ring. the only places I'm likely to get into a fight are crowded places where I'm most likely gonna be drunk. not the best environment to rely on kicking.
>>
>>817989
you can say this about literally any martial art thing even body combat.

The fact of the matter is a good stance alone can be enough to deescalate a situation with an absolute scrub.
>>
>>817989
>quick
The only quick he got is the fast food. This is mostly an american board. Most people here can't lift their legs so far and are fat and slow. Kicks works...if you're able to kick.
>>
>>806507
Kick someone In the shins in a street fight shit works
>>
>>806556
Kek sparing dose not prepare you for a real fight and even less fighting a thug that street fights
>>
>>806556
>but a missed kick could set you up for a counter.
In which you could counter because untrained people suck.
>>
>>818125
In the thigh, calves unless you want a fractured shin. Hitting the shin basically checked it
>>
File: 2u8e3jk.gif (3 MB, 228x180) Image search: [Google]
2u8e3jk.gif
3 MB, 228x180
>>818396
There's this kick called the front snap kick. It works a little differently than the Muay Thai front push kicks, but it's quite effective against shins.
>>
File: Naamloos-2.png (138 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
Naamloos-2.png
138 KB, 350x350
>>818423
>but it's quite effective against shins.
I think you mean it's quite effective against chins.
>>
>>806556
There's also the fact that each martial art is adapted towards a certain environment.

Footwork is a good indicator, for example. A martial art made for swampy environment or beaches will have very grounded footwork and a lack of movement.
Compare that to something adapted to entirely flat ground. Like boxing, where you jump around like a chicken on a hot plate because there's nothing in the ring that could trip you up.

Same for actual attacking. Balintawak trains mostly at the closest possible distance, because that was apparently the most common engagement range for its usage.
>>
>>808586
So, do boxing/kickboxing for endurance, FMA for the hammerfist training and knowledge of how a knife works?
>>
>>818130
What kind of retarded drivel are you spewing?
>fighting doesn't prepare you for fighting
Ok
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.