[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rory Miller interview
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1432350072173.jpg (47 KB, 329x300) Image search: [Google]
1432350072173.jpg
47 KB, 329x300
Found this Rory Miller interview on Bullshido. for those who don't know he wrote Meditations on Violence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6bOMtZApzY#t=183

pic unrelated
>>
>>810029
i cant tell if he is t3h deadly jedi master or actually knows what he's talking about
>>
>>810104

Probably both.

On the one hand he has actual experience, but claiming you can "take down any mixed martial artist in the world" because the 2deadly techniques shows that he is overestimating himself..

And that's always the problem with those "self defense gurus", call it "no nonsense self defense" or "meditation on violence" or whatever..

It's always the same old story:

>Hey guys, I'm an ultra though doorman/correction officer/SEAL guy.
>Now listen up: forget everything that you ever learned about violence.
>You can not - I repeat - YOU CAN NOT DEFNED AGAINST VIOLENCE !!!1!!
>Forget drills, forget sports. YOU ARE GONNA DIE!!
>Now what can you do?
>Here, I made some drills for you, try them and.. oh yeah, don't forget to use your brain.
>>
>>810543
No where does he imply you can take down "any mixed martial artist in the world". except perhaps under the conditions of a surprise assault. Nor does he say you cannot prepare.

He saying most martial arts focus on duels or simulations of duels and most do not contain all the tools needed for dealing with assaults.

He is also the first to caveat that his exposure to violence is limited mostly to his marital arts and corrections work, and that his is only one perspective on a big subject (violence)
>>
>>810543

>No where does he imply you can take down "any mixed martial artist in the world".

Somewhere in his books.. He's generally downplaying the role of MMA because they get totally surprised by "muh dedly techniques"..

>He saying most martial arts focus on duels or simulations of duels and most do not contain all the tools needed for dealing with assaults.

Which means basically:
"Forget drills, forget sports. YOU ARE GONNA DIE!!"
As I said.

>He is also the first to caveat that his exposure to violence is limited mostly to his marital arts and corrections work, and that his is only one perspective on a big subject (violence)

So basically he's saying he has a limited understanding but is trying to tell people he knows it better?
>>
Why don't self-defense guys ever talk about different tools and weapons? A pepper spray, for example, is arguably the most effective self-defense tool.
>>
>>814024

Because they want to sell books.

Imagine a book with one page:

>1) Buy a big dog who is trained for fighting.
>2) Carry pepperspray, a taser and an expandable baton with you 24/7.
>3) Profit!

It wouldn't sell very well.
>>
>>813841
Your basically strawmaning him, if you actually read his books you would know his arguments are a lot more nuanced than that
>>
>>810029
I really enjoy his books and recommend them. He writes from the perspective of a psychologist more than a martial artist and alot of what he writes about is fascinating.

Between his Monkey Dance stuff and the adrenal differences between men and women in a fight Meditations on Violence is the only interesting pop Psychology book I've ever read.
>>
>>814086
Yep, that seems to be the reason
>>
is his martial art called "boring me to death"?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.