[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /asp/ think of Wing Chun?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 250x369) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 250x369
What does /asp/ think of Wing Chun?
>>
Teaches you how to get fucked up by grapplers by punching within clinch range and keeping your legs together
>>
>>1375647
it was made by a bunch of chinese women because they needed to find a way to defend themselves from theirdrunk husbands
>>
>>1375656
I've been doing it for a number of years and this is the only problem I've had with it. Would it be worth learning BJJ as well?
>>
>>1375656
And btw you don't keep your legs together, that's just an exercise to build up your muscles
>>
Some decent ideas such as swarming, controlling the center, keeping balanced and the utility of trapping ruined by typical retarded isolationist circlejerk mentality that absolutely refuses to pressure test and update methods.
>>
>>1375647
My head coach seems to think its cool and he has coached 3 UFC champions, as well as multiple champions in other promotions, BJJ, grappling, kickboxing, and Muay Thai. He was showing me videos of Francis Fong the other day.
>>
>>1375925
>he doesn't care enough about history to recognize famed masters
>he still wears a roots of fight shirt
the state of you
>>
>>1375647
Great for its intended purposes. Not so much for competitive fighting.
>>
>>1375925
kill yourself
>>
Out of all Ip Man's student, only three really picked up the essence of Wing Chun. Those three were Leung Sheung, Lok Yiu, and Chu Shong Tin.

Good Wing Chun will use your structure against you.
>>
>>1375984
>>1376446
seething
>>
Wing Chun is the greatest fighting art one could ever hope to learn.....if you are fighting people while inside a phone booth
>>
Like all traditional martial arts there's a lot of good there if you look hard enough past the mysticism and bullshit. If you could adapt it and mix it with other disciplines it'd be a decent core to build off.
>>
>>1377179
>like all traditional arts
>there's a lot of good

lol
>>
>>1375848
>Some decent ideas such as swarming, controlling the center, keeping balanced and the utility of trapping
Don't forget countering, or attacking and defending at the same time.
>>
>>1377841
>wing chun invented countering
>an aggressive defense is a wing chun thing

You'd be amazed at all the good ideas boxing has.
>>
>>1377912
We wouldn't really need Wing Chun if Boxing incorporated grappling, elbows, and kicking.
>>
File: 43265738.gif (1 MB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
43265738.gif
1 MB, 300x200
>>1377967
boxing does have grappling, not in the sense like wrestling but like muay thai there is a subset of skills based on clinching, in fact you have tons of people that specialize in dirty box clinching
>>
>>1377989
But there's not a focus on training it like in Wing Chun.
Dirty Boxing isn't a par of Boxing, Dirty Boxing is a result of Boxing.
And Wing Chun is just more well rounded in its grappling.

I'm not arguing Boxing, at some point doesn't have grappling, it's just really not that comparable to the grappling of Wing Chun, because it's a part of Wing Chun, not a result of a ruleset.
>>
>>1375647
everybody wing chun tonight
>>
>>1378075
wing chun grappling is a joke straight up. they show no underlying principal or understanding of leverage, off balance or position, even boxing and muay thai demonstrate and show it and train it . Look at Mayweather one of the best clinchers and grapplers in boxing, you know how i can tell you dont train, spouting nonsense like you are.
>>
>>1378117
Nice shit post, please insert coin and try again.

>tries to show a lack of understanding about Wing Chun
>says I don't train and says I lack understanding
Nice shit posting tactics, you must be well versed. But your technique and timing is shit.
>>
>>1377989
>in fact you have tons of people that specialize in dirty box clinching

Not in actual strict boxing practice where holding and hitting is banned and clinches are a pause in the action where you're told to stop and break.
>>
I like the "Everybody Have Fun Tonight" song.
>>
>>1378906
That's Wang Chung, dummy!
>>
>>1375647
http://fightland.vice.com/blog/wing-chun-and-mma-controlling-the-center

Best realistic look at Wing Chun that tries real hard to be impartial and find the good within a system that has allowed itself to become a gigantic pussy factory.
>>
>>1375925
Don't worry you won't have to know soon.
>>
File: wong.jpg (129 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
wong.jpg
129 KB, 1920x1080
WELCOME EVERYONE, TO THE MASTEER WONG TRAININ BOOTCAMP

ON THIS VERY SPECIAL EPISODE, I SHOW YOU HOW TO HIT SOMEONE REALLY HARD, LIKE BRUCE LEE
>>
It's a fucking joke. CMA is a meme chinks invented to laugh at gwailoh.
>>
>>1382265
First you got to bahng, den you paaahhtt, den you gonna buss'em up. Dat's da ting.
>>
>>1375647
Wing chun is great. It's funny to see the same people on /asp/ who praise boxing and shit on WC. Just look at the stances of boxing (ancient brittish boxing without gloves) and wing chun. It's almost the same. The sport evolved with gloves which make it less realistic for real fighting. I'm not saying modern boxingis bad, not just as translatable in reality than the old one.
Wing chun is ever better than boxing because it do have kicks and defend the lower body. Overall it's not a complet martial art because it have poor balance, poor grappling and no ground game but it's still one of the best boxing styles out there with muay thai
>>
>>1382507
Master Wong versus Bar Rutten Onomatopoeia contest FUCKING WHEN?
>>
>>1382628
Did you say that wing chun is one of the better boxing styles? What kind of garbage is that? Do you know how hard it is to use most of that stuff and how long you have to train for it?

I swear the delusion on here is crazy. Wing chun, unless taught in its purest form is a load of garbage.
>>
>>1383660
I've studied muay thai, a bit of jujutsu (not brazilian) and tai chi. I confirm by my few experiences fighting them it hurt a lot. They are dificult to kick and approaching their distance is a bad idea.
>>
>>1375647
They recently started offering classes in it at my local gym, and I think it's fascinating. The teacher has a background in MMA and boxing as well, so I think I'm learning other stuff to balance out Wing Chun's flaws.

>>1382248
Why is this fucking picture in every thread?
>>
>>1384011
because studies confirm that the pro wrestling fanbase is poorer and less educated than the average TV viewer.
>>
>>1382628
Holy shit the delusion lol.

Please go fight some boxers with your much more realistic fighting style.
>>
>>1383799
I've fought one or two. The moment they hit the ground they were helpless.
>>
>>1385260
Same thing can be said about Boxers, Taekwondo practitioners, American Kickboxers, Muay Thai practitioners, even Judoka.
>>
>>1382628
It's probably just a shitposting meme. We should all know by now that it's the training methods, not the art itself.
Just about every striking art is a bunch of punches and kicks, and ways to defend against punches and kicks.
>>
Is there a striking art that's like Boxing, but with only elbows?

I think that'd be kind of interesting to see.
>>
>>1385313
Muay thay would be the closest
>>
>>1375647
It's got nothing to do with wrestling.
>>
>>1385317
I just want to see two people in a ring throwing nothing but elbows at each other.
>>
>>1385306
Judoka have newaza, boxers better footwork, kick boxers good range and distance, Muay Thai fast elbows, leg sweeps, punches, heck TKD was good once. Wing chun is like tai chi: highly impractical, takes a long time to learn, more suited for swordplay and weapons, no resistance training to understand what an opponent does full speed. It's a bad martial art unless done with a competent teacher at an early age. Sure, average wing chun guys can beat normal joes okay. Try an MMA, sanda, kyokushin, kick boxer, boxer, Muay Thai, jujitsu fighter and you'd get hurt. Unless you're 100% serious about impractical styles they don't work.
>>
>>1385355
Watch a Chris Hero match
>>
>>1385355
Watch a Japanese wrestling match.
>>
>>1385403
>heck TKD was good once.
TKD was never good, but it's getting better.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.