[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best Styles for Each Technique
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 204
Thread images: 22
File: Sagat.jpg (99 KB, 1063x752) Image search: [Google]
Sagat.jpg
99 KB, 1063x752
STRIKING
Punching: Boxing
Low kicks: Muay Thai
Mid & High Kicks: Kyokushin Karate
Elbows & Knees: Muay Thai

GRAPPLING
Throws: Judo
Takedowns: Wrestling
Ground control: Wrestling/Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Submissions: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Am I wrong? Did I miss anything?
>>
>>1234241
Oh yeah;
Clinching: Muay Thai
>>
>>1234241

Punchs: Boxing
Kicks: Taekwondo
Elbows & Knees: Muay Thai
Takedowns: Wrestling, Judo
Submissions: Jiu Jitsu, Catch Wrestling

imho desu senpai
>>
>>1234269
What makes you choose TKD over Kyokushin?
>>
>>1234241

Ki power up: Kaio-ken
>>
What about:
Weapon disarms: Krav Maga
Wrist locks: Aikido
>>
>>1234273

Karate unfortunately has a bad reputation because of all the awful karate instructors. Chopping wood, fake sparring, giving children black belts, etc.

Most Karate kicks are exactly the same as TKD but no trained fighters are calling their shit Isshin-Ryu Katas, etc. TKD is fine with nomenclature like front leg sidekick or oblique kick and that digests better in the MMA community.

Plus karate has a bunch more of "art" kicks that are virtually useless in combat sports.

Karate has some really good technique inside of it. If they can cut all the bullshit then hopefully it can be more respected as a true martial art.
>>
>>1234329
My understanding is Kyokushin doesn't have any of those problems that other Karate styles do.
>>
>>1234241
>Did I miss anything?
Weapons and the various sub-categories.
Also, unarmed-vs weapon(s).
>>
>>1234273
Not the anon you replied to, but it's to my understanding that TKD practices kicks more than Kyokushin.
TKD would be the better Kicker, but Kyokushin could possibly be the better Kickboxer.
>>
>>1234340
Weapons styles are so dependent on what weapon you want to learn, it'd be too long to list out the best style for each weapon (also I don't know weapon styles as well.)
But for weapon defense, probably Krav Maga.
>>
File: KVK.jpg (74 KB, 736x409) Image search: [Google]
KVK.jpg
74 KB, 736x409
What's better?

Kajukenbo or Krav Maga?
>>
>>1234337

Maybe I just can't help but think of all the massive amounts of crap surrounding it.

Just remember that GSP started in Kyokushin, too.

For some reason whenever I think of kicks I think TKD.

>>1234349

This is probably why.
>>
>>1234389
Well TKD doesn't have low kicks in sparring, so I'll still maintain that MT is best for them.
>>
Question, how does sambo compare to wrestling, Judo, and BJJ?
>>
Guys, what is the difference between Mae Geri and Mae Geri????? Which style has the best??????
>>
>>1234241
But the stance in boxing is shit if kicks are allowed, especially low kicks.
>>
>>1234418
Well, it is a combination of wrestling and Judo.

There are a few different rule sets, but I will first touch on International Sport Sambo which is the primary form of the sport.

You get points for a pin, but only once and it doesn't end the match.

You get points for throws/takedowns. A total throw (Ippon) is an instant win. Sambo is different from Judo in that it allows for more takedowns especially involving grabbing the legs (double leg, single leg, etc). You can also use the flying leg scissors aka kami basami.

You can also win by submission.

Legal submissions: elbow locks, shoulder locks (some odd rules here), straight ankle locks, straight kneebars. So, unlike Judo, you cannot choke, but you can go for kneebars and straight ankles (no heel hooks, toeholds, or twisting kneebars)

Obviously the uniform is different, allow for more throws and such luck in Judo that wrestling does not have.

The second most popular ruleset is Combat Sambo, which is pretty similar to MMA. More submissions are allowed, punching, kicking, knees, elbows, ground and pound, and heabutts (although you wear headgear). It's pretty fast paced since it is only one round. Lots of resets due being on a mat. Kurtka so you can grab onto them. I'm not sure how points work in Combat Sambo, but it is probably similar to Sport Sambo.

The final ruleset is Freestyle Sambo, which I think only exists in America. It is more or less the same thing as Sport Sambo, but with more submissions allowed (all of them, more or less).

Sambo is a cool sport, more interesting to watch IMO than Judo and Wrestling. I take a lot of leglock stuff from Sambo for my own game. plus there are lots of qt3.14 slav Sambo girls (might just be focused Russian propaganda, but fuck that ass). You will have a hard time finding Sambo gyms.
>>
>>1234825
The stance isn't the problem, it's the Boxer's ability to defend.
Style vs Style matchups just tell us that fighters often don't know what they're up against.
You can still check a kick from muh true boxer's stance, you can block kicks from muh true boxer's stance, and you can use footwork to evade kicks from muh bladed stance. Boxers just don't train for kicks.
>>
>>1234241
What's the best style for sucking tranny dick?
>>
>>1235014
BJJ or pro wrestling.
>>
>>1235014
>>1235028
Surely you just need to train Muay Thai in Thailand to suck some tranny dick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oqN_mQCmQI
>>
>>1235028
>pro wrestling

They don't do trannies, they're just straight up homosexual.

>>1235038
>Surely you just need to train Muay Thai in Thailand to suck some tranny dick.

I want one that passes though. Preferably with a giant dick to ream my asshole with.
>>
>>1234954
The boxing stance is a problem since they also put more weight on their front foot.
>>
File: Nakamura.png (1 MB, 730x1072) Image search: [Google]
Nakamura.png
1 MB, 730x1072
>>1234241
STRONG STYLE!
>>
>>1234870
Would you say sambo is the best at any particular technique?
>>
>>1235190

Nick Diaz has a heavy front foot and doesn't give a shit and just boxes people to death. You might run into a problem though if you try that against someone like RDA and never check anything. I'm surprised Nate isn't in a wheelchair after that abuse.
>>
>>1234241
I pretty much agree. People are going to say taekwondo for mid and high kicks, but the truth is that taekwondo has the same kicks as everyone else, and then a bunch of meme kicks that you can almost never land or can barely get any power out of. Hell, even their roundhouse sucks dick for power compared to most other techniques.

I'm impressed that there was a non shitty OP on /asp/ for once.
>>
>>1236067

>yfw GSP was champion in Kyokushin but needed to learn kicks from Joe Rogan, a practitioner of TKD
>>
So, going off of what's been discussed, I say we try to figure out which styles to take to become the most effective fighter (note: personal preference and body type is not taken into account here, this is just meant to be the objective best for the average person.)

Striking
If you can only take one striking style, take Muay Thai. This will introduce you to a bit of everything, and give you the best training in knees, elbows, low kicks, and clinching. If you can take two, add on boxing to get the best handwork available, since it is much more important than high/mid kicks. And finally, if you can take three, add on either Kyokushin Karate or TKD for mid/high kicks.

Grappling
If you can only take one, seems like Sambo is the best (if you can find it.) It sounds like a decent balance of everything. If you can't find it, take either wrestling or BJJ, depending on if you want to focus on submissions or takedowns.
If you can take two styles, take BJJ and Judo. Between the Judo throws and the wrestling take downs already used in BJJ, you'll have plenty of options to get the guy on the ground and no big holes in your game. If you can take three, throw in wrestling to fill in the holes you do have.
>>
>>1234273
I'd vote TKD as well. It focuses more heavily on kicks and for higher kicks and such there's more variation in TKD than any karate style.
>>
>>1234363
Depends on what you want to do. Probably Krav Maga, though.
>>
>>1237017
muay thai or kick boxing.
We use knees and elbows where I train kickboxing.
>>
>>1238293
Kickboxing is an umbrella term for a bunch of different styles, including Muay Thai. MT is actually the only one I know of that uses elbows. You're probably doing a MT derivative.
>>
>>1239790
>Kickboxing is an umbrella term for a bunch of different styles
American Kickboxing is a style.
>>
>>1234329
>Plus karate has a bunch more of "art" kicks that are virtually useless in combat sports.

You lost me right here. TKD has a ton of useless bullshit kicks.

I pick kyo/seido/enshin over TKD because they imported shin kicks from MT rather than instep kicks like TKD took from taekyon and Okinawan karate. I give knockdown karate the edge above MT because it kept the heel and sole of foot kicks from Okinawan karate that MT lacks.

Balls-to-the-wall instep kicking leads to broken feet the first time you catch a kneecap, elbow, or skull with your delicate little metatarsals.
>>
>>1239804
Yes, it is one of the many styles under the umbrella term "kickboxing."
>>1239976
What is an instep kick?
>>
File: Instep.jpg (12 KB, 374x157) Image search: [Google]
Instep.jpg
12 KB, 374x157
>>1240011

Kicking with the top of your foot.
>>
>>1240030
Oh fuck, why? That's how TKD kicks? Fuck that noise.
>>
>>1240033
You literally get a foot more of range.

>That's how TKD kicks?
Also Savate.
>>
>>1239976
>with your delicate little metatarsals.
Says the bitch with baby feet.
>>
>>1235971
Sure. Gi/Kurtka takedowns/throws that are banned in Judo. Flying leglocks. Also the Yadviga (rever omoplata).
>>
>>1240041
>You literally get a foot more of range.

No you don't. You get an instep more of range.

Also, they wear shoes in Savate (hence the name). Different ballgame.
>>
>>1240041

Why not punch with your fingertips? You'll get five inches more of range.

What I just wrote was dumb for the same reason what you just wrote was dumb.
>>
>>1240245
Agreed. It's pretty fucking dumb. They do teach people to do that in point sparring though. Any contact counts and even the smallest amount of distance helps. In an actual fight? If you fight like that you're gonna break some shit.
>>
File: 1456263295710.gif (3 MB, 300x214) Image search: [Google]
1456263295710.gif
3 MB, 300x214
Low, mid, high kicks: Savate
>>
>>1234352
I don't know what escrima is

>Savate baton ftw
>>
>>1240792
>If you fight like that you're gonna break some shit.
If you're a bitch.
>>
File: hiraken.jpg (59 KB, 478x396) Image search: [Google]
hiraken.jpg
59 KB, 478x396
>>1240245
>having bitch fingers
>>
File: 1460267012378.jpg (62 KB, 600x379) Image search: [Google]
1460267012378.jpg
62 KB, 600x379
>>1239790
>kickboxing is a term for a bunch of different styles
>including MT
>mfw I can't elbow in kickboxing
>>
>>1240041

Done kickboxing and Savate, just wear shoes.

Savate>your idiot tier self defense
>>
>>1240245
>Why not punch with your fingertips?
Aim for the eyes and keep your fingers loose, and you'll be fine.

That said, your instep is more durable than your fingers, and TKD style kicks are more velocity-based (snappy) than follow-through based (swingy) , so the risk isn't as big as it seems. You'll definitely still fuck up your foot if you get checked though, which is one of the reasons why TKD guys rarely kick low. IIRC crocop said something to that effect. Also instep kicks do nothing to legs except make a loud noise, unless you hit directly behind the knee.
>>
what about blocking?
>>
File: 1461913213463.webm (3 MB, 624x352) Image search: [Google]
1461913213463.webm
3 MB, 624x352
>>1240898
Karate, if people can figure out how to use it. I occasionally see karate blocks done accidentally in MMA matches, but so far nobody uses them on purpose. It's a shame too; head movement exposes you to high kicks and spinning techniques, and covering up lets your opponent land combinations. Karate-style blocks deflect your opponent's arms to awkward positions, and typically leave an opening for you to counterpunch. Webm related, Struve pulls off a high block right at the start, but is at a bad angle and is backpedaling too hard to immediately capitalize by throwing a right hand after it.
>>
>>1240245
>You'll get five inches more of range.
youtube.com/watch?v=sM17URoyKbk
>>
>>1240907
>Karate
The Japanese just stole martial arts from the Chinese and called it something else, like how the Koreans made TKD.
>>
>>1241963
The Chinese borrowed theirs from other people too. Watching animals, taking bits and pieces from Indian/Pakistan, Buddhism. Doesn't mean shit.
>>
>>1242079
But who did the animals learn from?

Who did the original animals learn from?

It was in the animals all along.

Has it not been in us all along?

We are but animals.
>>
>>1240898
Any form that teaches you how to intercept an opponent's punch is complete bullshit. Basically all of Chinese martial arts will teach you cool ways to block incoming punches when they're thrown at half speed but that's completely useless in a real fight because you will never have the timing and reaction speed to pull it off. The only thing that works it putting up a guard, and Muay Thai teaches the best ones in my opinion.
>>
>>1242950
If you have your guard up then redirecting a punch doesn't take more than a small movement. So it's very possible to consistently intercept a punch, as long as you aren't tired or beaten up and you're just feeling each other out.
>>
>>1242950
Nice shitposting.

Don't reply to this >>1242950, it's bait.
>>
>>1235982
Nick Diaz did run into trouble, at least with the judges, Carlos Condit came up with the perfect gameplan to defeat Nick, keep landing quick kicks and run away.

Same reason Nate Diaz got TKO'd by Josh Thompson.
>>
>>1240844
>shows a Muay Thai fighter

lol fucking clown.
>>
>>1242994
That's why I see all these strong athletic MMA fighters doing it hu?
>>
>>1244106

UFC scoring and judges aren't very good. Neither are the refs besides Herb and BJM. The Diaz brothers, a lot of other fighters, Joe Rogan, and Matt Hume, and other critics think the game is fucked.

Spamming little baby kicks and running away did give Condit the win, but it really shouldn't. If they were causing damage or if he had any forward aggression then maybe. I don't want to watch a sport where winning on the card means touching your opponent and running away.

Regardless, Nick's record is incredible and he fights in an orthodox boxing stance.
>>
File: upper_block.jpg (19 KB, 326x340) Image search: [Google]
upper_block.jpg
19 KB, 326x340
>>1242950
>>1242994
>>1243419

I think what >>1242950 is talking about is the typical karate idea that you can move your arm in a broad, semicircular path, covering even more distance than the original punch and necessarily starting from the waist after the punch starts, and still be an effective defense. Not "intercept" in the JKD sense.
>>
>>1244384
I am not a karete guy but I read a thing from an old shotokan sensei saying that those blocks are basics and that once your passed the basics they should be interceptions and I dont know the term for this but counter punches.
>>
>>1244390

Ah, yes, the old, "We're teaching you bullshit now, but stick with it and some day we'll teach you the real thing."

Meanwhile people who are learning real shit from the beginning are kicking your ass.

"Basics" are the whole thing. You're always fighting with the basics. Especially in striking. Black belt-level competitions, even in karate, don't have different techniques from white belt stuff. Advanced students don't give up round kicks and do nothing but backflip kicks. Getting good is about refining your basics, not replacing them with the real techniques later.

One thing I like about seidokaikan is it doesn't have the traditional karate blocks. There was an inside parry from a guard, an upper block that was just raising your guard, and a thing that looked like the down block but is intended to sweep your opponent's leg down after you've absorbed the kick with your guard.
>>
>>1244423
Well in context the old guy was saying "Your good enough that you need to be doing it like this now"

I can see you point, though I do think that once you have basic gross motor movements some of the other stuff is interchangable
>>
>>1244448

The problem with this, and it's a common Asian teaching method, is when you use Lies to Children (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lie-to-children) to teach people who you know full well aren't sticking with you through the whole curriculum, you end up with people going on the road teaching the lie as if it's the whole truth.

I believe karate and kung fu are victims of this. People taught bullshit until they knew somebody was going to stick with it, but at some point sensei got drunk and fell in a hole and died before he explained to his successor that you're not actually supposed to fight from that stupid stance, and now the successor is teaching that the stupid stance is a good idea.

Kind of like religions, right? I don't care if you're a religionist or not, but either none of the religions is true or at most one of them is and all the others are lies, but at some point the guy who told the initial lie died and didn't tell anybody it was a lie, and now millions of people are missing out delicious lobster dinners because some prick 5,000 years ago was allergic and it was easier to tell them God didn't want people to eat shellfish than to have to train a new chef for his temple.
>>
>>1244490
I think there is a cultural difference here, in that many of those teachers only care that one or two people learn their art whole and intact.
>>
So if you had to choose a pairing of one striking discipline and one grappling discipline, what would you choose? I'm thinking stuff Muay Thai+BJJ or Boxing+Wrestling would be the way to go. Maybe Sambo+Karate could be really good, too.

Also, is it better to focus on one discipline, a few disciplines, or address all at the same time?
>>
>>1244507
See >>1237017
>>
>>1241963
Classical karate blocking, punching and kicking don't actually seem to come from china
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (97 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
97 KB, 1280x720
>>1244384
I'm >>1242994

I actually meant parrying. Sorry. Didn't know the English word. I don't have the same stance as in the pic, but the concept is the same.

Against a straight punch you only slightly have to move your front hand (you might still want to move your head away). So now the guy with the red gloves has two hands ready to start giving out a beating. and the white gloves guy might not be back in a defensive position fast enough to defend properly.
>>
>>1244869
To add. The white guy would probably have to end up dodging. Which requires much larger movements than a simple parry. And would leave you much more open to kicks.
>>
>>1237017

>one style
>become the most effective fighter
But that's stupid. Everyone knows the most effective fighter practices a hybrid art.

Modern Muay Thai is already a hybrid art, even if it's a basic bitch baby hybrid art. Modern Muay Thai is nothing like Traditional Muay Thai.
>>
>>1240030
So if you don't use the instep what are you striking with? Your shin? (I'm not talking front/side or other kicks that use the heel)
>>
>>1234241
My understanding of Karate style kicks is that they all sort of work off of the snapping at the knee as opposed to swinging the hip, which would lead me to place savate over kyokushin for the mid and high kicks.
>>
>>1240030
have to in savate, but of course you get shoes, so that helps
>>
>>1245943
Yes.
>>
>>1245320
All competition martial arts are hybrid arts though. People use what works and it's not like what works is some big secret.
>>
>>1250580
Nuclear engineering isn't some big secret, either.
>>
File: sLGY1Zn.jpg (178 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
sLGY1Zn.jpg
178 KB, 720x960
What would be the simplest Takedown I could learn if I just wanted to Fuck somebodys shit up?
Take this booty as an offering wise men
>>
>>1253291
Simply lifting someone by his legs. There are are a lot of methods for doing that.

But a takedown always comes with the risk of you going to the ground as well. Plus you would probably run the risk of getting a knee in your face. Considering the ground is more dangerous than standing and considering you don't know how to fight, I'd suggest against it.

In fact, if you want to learn to fight, join a martial art. If you intend to go around beating people up with one technique you're quite delusional.
>>
>>1249861
What part of the shin does muay thai teach to kick with? The lower shin seems too fragile for it but mid shin and up are basically punching distance.
>>
>>1253291
Honestly just tackling someone technically counts as the simplest, tackle, mount, punch.

Other than that, attempting to grab a extended limb can work, twist it the wrong way, then strike at the joint.
>>
>>1258811
>twist it the wrong way, then strike at the joint.
This.

How submissions worked came intuitively to me, I just figured you just make the limb go the other direction. I never needed to learn how to do an arm bar.
>>
File: cozy.jpg (9 KB, 234x250) Image search: [Google]
cozy.jpg
9 KB, 234x250
>>1237017
>Mfw MT, BJJ, Judo master race
>>
>>1258449

All of the shin depending on the range. It hurts the kicker more to kick with the lower than with the upper, but conditioning is possible.

If you think it's fragile, try kicking something with the top of your foot, which has even smaller bones covered by pretty much nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACqW12LNUoo

Try that with the top of your foot. The bat won't be what breaks.
>>
>>1260900
>the uploader has not made this video available in your country
>>
>>1260941

Guy breaks a baseball bat with a roundhouse kick.

Look up any video of that happening and they will all look the same. Contact will be a little below mid-shin, just above the handle. The bat will break and the kicker will probably limp as he walks away.
>>
>>1234241
But you can punch in lots of different ways, even throw the same punch in different ways. The different rules in MT mean you aren't punching exactly the same way as you would in a boxing match, for example. And there are a few punches that boxing doesn't cover, like backfists and stuff. If we're just talking generally, then obviously if you want to learn to punch then just go box, but if we're talking about hypotheticals, boxing isn't enough for everything.

Like with kicks, lots of kicks that aren't much taught in MT, but are in karate etc. I guess this is why you've got low kicks = MT, mid and high = karate (as if MT doesn't kick high or mid... lol) but this is just too simplistic a way of looking at things.
>>
>>1260972
Like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EhYJuo1_FY
>>
>>1261091
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EhYJuo1_FY

Yeah. Better form on the video I posted, but that's the idea. You see it's pretty low on the shin, the part that you or someone upthread said would be "too fragile." I'm sure it hurts like a motherfucker, but it can be done.
>>
Yeah. I often train palm strikes along my regular punches.

I don't want to accidentally hurt my knuckles on someone's skull if I would get into a street fight (which I don't intend to). So I try to combine both strikes during drills so I can switch easy between them.
>>
>>1261747
was meant for >>1261052
>>
>>1236091
The only kick Rogan taught GSP was a turning side kick. That's about it.
>>
would fma be good as a first martial t to start with?
>>
File: Ric-Flair-WWE-video.jpg (589 KB, 1728x905) Image search: [Google]
Ric-Flair-WWE-video.jpg
589 KB, 1728x905
>>1235066
>WOOOOOOOOOOO!
>>
I probably wouldn't say that boxing has the best punches. They're certainly good, but so are the punches in plenty of other arts.

I would say that boxing excels in upper-body defense. They have the usual blocks and deflections, as well as swaying and weaving that you don't see that often in other arts.
>>
>>1263573
Do you want to learn to fight with your fists, or with knives and sticks?
>>
>>1263632

The punches also won't necessarily be helpful in self-defense scenarios where you won't be wearing gloves.
>>
>>1234241
There's more to striking than punches, kicks, knees, and elbows.

Bach hands, forman strikes, knives hands strikes, fisticuffs with 2nd knucklesdusters, fingertip strikes, claw hand, hitting someone with your shoulder, etcetera.
>>
>>1264082
I'm sorry but what? I never understood this whole thing where people think that boxers lose all ability too punch without gloves. Like the second they take of their gloves they stare into their reflection and think, who am i?
If that's the case then wouldn't muay thai punches be useless without gloves?
Or bjj take downs without a rashguard?
>>
>>1264544
Often times when modern Boxers catch a case of the street fights, the Boxers often develop symptoms of broken hand syndrome.
So I'm told, anyway.
>>
>>1264552
So you never actually trained and tried yourself
>>
>>1264552
Here's the issue with that literally any system put into a street situation runs the risk of hand damage, you throw a punch at a brick without conditioning your hand what happens? Hand breaks, hell even kyokushin fighters with conditioned hands avoid the head because it's so much harder than a hand.
>>
>>1264567
>hell even kyokushin fighters with conditioned hands avoid the head because it's so much harder than a hand.
I'm pretty sure the no arm strikes to the head rules has something to do with that.
>>
>>1264567
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM17URoyKbk
>>
>>1264567
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qykLitBNi8U
>>
>>1264065
All of the above.
>>
>>1234299
Please stop.
>>
>>1264567
>hell even kyokushin fighters with conditioned hands avoid the head because it's so much harder than a hand
More like they avoid the head because otherwise they'd all go retarded after a day of serious fighting like boxers
>>
>>1264626
They have no gloves, therefore face strikes are avoided for two reasons one to lessen the risk of hand damage as once again they have no gloves, and two because who doesn't love punching at a meat filled water baloon for rounds on rounds.
>>1265377
Yup, because a kick or a knee runs less chance of brain damage, defiantly.
>>
>>1264630
>>1264633
I could also punch through a water mellon right now, or even break one with an elbow? Your point is? They conditoned their fingers so they can damage eyes when they attempt to gouge them, im sure you dont believe that just because you can jam fingers into a watermelon you can do the same to a human skull? Right?
>>
>>1265480
>because a kick or a knee runs less chance of brain damage
No, it just happens less often. Take a kyokushin match and imagine if instead of the stomach they punched the face.
>>
>>1265488
Pretty much i see same lazy guarding (im sorry but many kyokushin fighters choose to eat shots instead of guarding.) head punches being used to set up body and head kicks and the occasional broken hand. Number of knockouts would probably stay the same but it would level, being half kicks and half punch knockouts.
That and more matches would be ended due to ref stop, as many hard hitting fighters would break or injure their hand mid fight and attempt to keep going. An example of this would be the terminator (cant remember his real name) fighting with a broken shin, and shin splits.
Well, that depends, solely on the force put behind a single kick(if its a single kick), placement of said single kick (chopping down on the neck or clipping the top of the head.), and though this will not always be the case, if the person receiving said head kick fell face first.
Now there have been equal number of cases where someone got brain damage from being kicked in the head while playing soccer.
>>
>>1265507
>Occasional broken hand

No, in sports with gloves there are occasional broken hands.

You would have a metric shit-ton of broken hands with no gloves.
>>
>>1264837
Well the unarmed stuff in FMA is pretty shit. You either need to pick armed or unarmed to start with, or take two styles.
>>
>>1263573
No.
>>
>>1263573
Yes.
>>
>>1236091
ITF or Olympic TKD?

Itf TKD is just pure tekyon with karate punching.

Olympic is light contact with overplayed accrobatics which is the one that gets bad rep for being uselessin selfdefense.

The only good thing that NK did was keeping ITF alive long enough for it to spread to the slavshits who for some reason also dominate olympic TKD.
>>
>>1240030
>>1240033
It honestly doesnt even hurt if you arent a bitch and most of the guys at my gym use the shin and instep interchangably. Shin is for close range and instep is for reach
>>
>>1240792
Lol not really. I fought like that when I transfered to my muay thai gym and I did just fine. Infact, starting out in TKD gave me a huge kick advantage in sparring
>>
>>1265487
>I could also punch through a water mellon right now
Try it.
>>
>>1265487
>im sure you dont believe that just because you can jam fingers into a watermelon you can do the same to a human skull? Right?
I'm glad we're on the same page, and you're not just giving me a sarcastic remark in an attempt to make some point that's meant to make me upset.
I don't believe that just because someone can jam fingers into a watermelon that, that person can do the same to a human skull.
I believe because of the lack of hand conditioning done by quite a large amount of modern Boxers, and because of how they wear those comfy hand cushions while fighting and sparring all the time, the modern Boxers have bitch hands that would break very easily, especially when delivering power punches to skulls.
>>
File: foot.jpg (25 KB, 493x335) Image search: [Google]
foot.jpg
25 KB, 493x335
>>1240043
Look at all those little bones on the foot. A lot easier to mess up than just the bones on the shin. Especially if you kick properly you should just be kicking with the tibia.
>>
File: CT1N6P7WcAA6v__.jpg (41 KB, 599x337) Image search: [Google]
CT1N6P7WcAA6v__.jpg
41 KB, 599x337
>>1258449
>>
>>1267443
>Especially if you kick properly you should just be kicking with the tibia.
This is what people who can't in to martial arts think.
>>
>>1267460
Of course. Please enlighten us about what particular part of the lower body you are supposed to kick. Maybe try to be constructive even if you have to disagree.
>>
Would Kyokushin Karate be a good first martial art to start with?
Any tips for a noobie?
>>
>>1267669
Martial arts is like an ocean, composed of many droplets of water, its body consisting of water flowing from many seas, lakes, and streams.

>there is one way you're supposed to kick
That's just stupid and ignorant bullshit.
>>
>>1268355
MMA is a great first martial art for various reasons.
MMA incorporates striking and grappling, but also various ways to mix striking and grappling.
If you later decide you want to do striking, you'd be better off than if you were to start with a grappling art.
If you later decide you want to do grappling, you'd be better off than if you were to start with a striking art.
If you later decide you want to do self defense, you'll be better off than starting with a pure striking or pure grappling art, since self defense incorporates both striking and grappling.

MMA is better than pure grappling arts for self defense because in self defense, if you go to the ground, it only takes one other opponent to fuck your shit up, family.
MMA is better for self defense than pure striking arts because you're opponent isn't going to go up against you under honorable striking rules, grappling is a real threat, especially if the opponent took wrestling in middle school, high school, college, or was put in some martial art as a kid.
With MMA, you just need to remember to try to stay on your feet. If you happen to get grappled, you'll know what to do, unlike pure strikers a lot of the time.
Not to mention how MMA is the best base for MMA. MMA is tons of fun, it's a more well developed game because striking as well as grappling is allowed. Boxers can use all their legal moves in MMA, Kickboxers can use all their legal moves in MMA, Muay Thai practitioners can almost use all their legal moves in MMA, Knockdown Karate practitioners can use all their legal moves in MMA, wrestlers can use all their legal moves in MMA, etcetera, and then some.
It's like the difference between Dig Dug and Call of Duty.
>>
>>1268582
In an RPG, we have options. We have a variety of things we could say in response to what another has said.

Even in the combat of many RPGs, we have options. We could chose to favor defense, we could chose to favour offense, we could chose to favor not fighting at all, as well as many different combinations of things.

Not only is that true for games, but it's true for combat in real life.
We have options, we will always have options. We could punch, we could kick, we could do both at the same time. We could chose a grappling game, we could chose one of striking, we could chose one of both, with varying levels.
We could chose more attack, or more defense. We can constantly vary attack and defense.
We have options.
We have a lot of options.

Not only do we have options in games,
not only do we have options in combat,
we have options in life.

In life, we have options, we can make a choice, we can make a difference.

Chose to stand against social injustice.

#LGBT # Social Justice # Gay Rights
>>
>>1268630
I have the option to do Kyokushin Karate, kickboxing, Judo, and MMA courses at my uni. Should I just do MMA or should I try out multiple?
>>
>>1268781
You should do MMA because if you later decide you want to focus on striking or grappling, you can chose from the other martial arts at your uni all while having a base to work off of from your MMA.

If you decide you later want to focus on grappling, specifically, throws, you could go do judo, all while having a base to work off of, making it easier (focus on throws depends on the MMA gym, but they usually incorporate Muay Thai grappling)

If you later decide you want to focus on striking, you could do Kickboxing, all while already having a base of striking to work off of, making it easier.

If you later decide you want to focus on striking, but be more diversified with your strikes, you want to become a human tank, and you like a more formal setting, you could do Kyokushin Karate, all while having a base to work off of, making it easier.

If you start with MMA, and later decide to specialize in something, you'll be ahead of the game. How far ahead in which games depends on the MMA gym/teachings.

You might just end up liking MMA anyway.
>>
>>1268834
thanks bruv. I just check a semi-promotional video for the karate association, and I'll probably do MMA now.
>>
>>1268863
>I just check a semi-promotional video for the karate association, and I'll probably do MMA now.
kek
Mind posting a link?
>>
>>1268912
It looks childish/basic as fuck compared to what I expected from Kyokushin and what I always see the MMA guys doing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf63Nc1Fr2Q
>>
>>1268935
>It looks childish/basic as fuck compared to what I expected from Kyokushin
In their defense, there were a lot of white belts in that video.
They could be trying to imply it's okay to be a beginner white belt, and make it seem like the things they're doing are achievable to people under Orange belt by showing more of the easy stuff.
>>
>>1269038
Yeah, you're right. The actual trainings are probably a lot more intense than this as well. But I expected at least a little sparring or something in the video.
It's just that this doesn't really get me hyped to start karate, you know?
>>
>>1269057
>It's just that this doesn't really get me hyped to start karate, you know?
Yeah, I feel the same.

Karate is a good supplemental art, anyway, and MMA is a great base art.
>>
>>1269100
Yeah, true. Thanks for advice anyway m8
>>
>>1269100
>Karate is a good supplemental art
Goju Karate blends both striking and grappling. Goju Karate is a good base art for the same reason MMA is a good base art.
>>
>>1265487
>>1267439
It's not just Boxers. It's also Kickboxers and Muay Thai practitioners. Not to mention wrestlers.
>>
Memes aside. FMA is actually effective. The slapping jujitsu bullshit is not really a legitimate part of it. McDojos popularized that shit and you'd rarely see the natives use that limp wristed motion.

Weapon application is legit. Empty-hand is so-so. Depends on what you'd learn. The best part are the leg sweeps and joint breaking though.
>>
>>1268693
Please don't have sex
>>
>>1270055
no u
>>
File: boxing-gloves-size-chart_3.jpg (111 KB, 568x442) Image search: [Google]
boxing-gloves-size-chart_3.jpg
111 KB, 568x442
Getting a new pair of gloves lads, my hand is 9 inches circumference should I get 14oz or 16oz?
>>
bamp
>>
Every time i try to reply to these guys the post wont show up is that just me or is it not really posting?
>>
>>1270905
You're drunk Shamo-Kun, go home.
>>
>>1270915
Ugh im gonna try again, if it doesn't post this time I'm gonna give up.
>>
>>1270920
well, it worked.
Sometimes when I post on my phone the post wont show either, so you're not the only one.
>>
>>1270621
tfw we're required to use 16oz gloves regardless of weight in my Muay Thai gym
>>
>>1272451
>tfw Kyokushin/Goju
>>
>>1240033
I was having trouble with my kicking the other day because I have poor leg flexibility. I kept landing with my foot while practicing leg kicks, and my MMA coach stopped me and told me that from experience you can kick with your foot to any part of the body except the legs and it will not break your feet, but never ever ever kick to the legs with your foot.

I think he is probably 100% right.
>>
>>1272689
>I think he is probably 100% right.
lol
>>
File: 1462663117634.jpg (115 KB, 600x615) Image search: [Google]
1462663117634.jpg
115 KB, 600x615
>>1272689
Not true. You have to be very careful kicking to the body. My training partner broke his foot due to kicking someone's elbow in sparring. He didn't even kick very hard and was wearing shinguards with instep protection.

Kicking the legs with your instep sucks desu, not reason to really do it.

Instep kicks to the head and liver/other softish targets on the torso are fine. But again, you run the risk of running into someone's elbow. Any other target you are going to want to use your shin.

>>1270044
I think what you're talking about in regards to hand slapping is actually from Wing Chun/JKD. It is often mixed with FMA due to the Inosanto lineage. It was pretty cool to see Silva using it in his last fight though.

>>1258449
>What part of the shin does muay thai teach to kick with? The lower shin seems too fragile for it but mid shin and up are basically punching distance.

Depends on the target. Generally you kick the legs with the lower part of the shin. You also kick the head with the lower shin. Ideally when you kick the head, you hit with the low shin and the foot wraps around and wacks them in the back of the head as seen in:
>>1267451

If you are kicking across the body or arms , you use your mid/upper shin. This is very effect for keeping distance. However, you will often see people kick the body with a more upward kick. In this case you tend to use the lower end of your shin. This style of kicking is what you will typically seen in high level Thai boxing (it's faster).
>>
>>1273797
>He didn't even kick very hard and was wearing shinguards with instep protection.
>my training partner has bitch feet

The only reason instep kicks to the legs sucks is because you run the risk of hitting the shin.
>>
>>1273833
He kicked someone in the elbow. Far worse than in the shin.

Instep kicks to the leg primarily suck because they are not nearly as effective as kicking with the shin.
>>
>>1244507
Muay thai and catch wrestling, not because those styles are better but because they promote aggression that I fight by.
>>1268693
Though you are a hundred percent right, I hate how pretentious you seem, so I now deem thee a shitposter. Begone shitposter.
>>1270621
Depends solely on what youre using them for, padwork? 14 oz are a happy medium between 12s and 16s, sparring? 16ozs.
Also I am a windy fan boy lol.
>>1265641
See I believe the amount of hand breaking would go up but I also believe that the refs would be more aware and call stops more often to keep hand breaking to a minimum, Not saying they could prevent all hand breaks but they could prevent the ones from smashing a hand into someone's head multiple times.
>>1267439
Well, though I agree its common belief that the average boxer has shit hands, but I've seen many a boxer hit the bag without gloves. In Mexico it's common to spar lightly without gloves so one can adjust to blocking/parrying/slipping more accurately.
But what I've seen is that people seem to believe that because you are used to a ring you'll throw punches without thinking about the possibility of hand damage which is partly true if the fight is completely sudden, or you've been attack out of the blue. But I feel that enough good habits should be developed that the average boxer can defend their self and escape without damaging their hand, such as aiming for the chin instead of the temple.
>>
>>1274989
I ordered a pair of 14oz raw leather Windy's the other day since I have small bitch hands. Might return them for 16oz if they're too small since Thai gloves are smaller compared to western ones. I heard it's a real bitch breaking in new Windy gloves and that the padding is super hard at first.
>>
>>1273854
>they are not nearly as effective as kicking with the shin.
Why?
>>
I've been doing BJJ for about a week now, what's the best way to supplement learning? I'm trying to absorb most of what we learn in class but I want to learn more
>>
>>1275828

The shin is harder and tougher, and the blow is more of a crush than a slap.

I started this whole thing way upthread, and my whole point has generally been this:

You kick with the shin because it provides a margin of error you don't have kicking with the foot. You could kick me in the liver or belly with your instep and you'd be fine as long as you don't catch my elbow. You could kick me in the leg with your instep and be fine as long as you don't catch my knee. You could kick me in the head with your instep and be fine as long as you don't hit me in the crown of the skull.

Or you can bring it in a quarter step and kick me with your shin and be fine all the time.

It's up to you.

Me, maybe I suck, but I don't trust someone I'm fighting not to move while I'm kicking him, so I'll use the shin.
>>
>>1275828
The average /asp/ poster. No legitimate martial arts experience.

Why? I've never had to ask why. You just fucking can tell the difference instantly when you are kicked.
>>
>>1275182
Get 16 ozers, better for general use. Unless you already have 16 ozers.
>>
Winning: Gun
>>
>>1235014
Deep throating
>>
>>1277046
>Winning: Gun
>WinningGun
>Win G
>un
>WingUn

Wing Chun.
>>
>>1242950
t. Guy who was too slow for his weight class
>>
>>1280486
The problem with the blocking and parrying in CMAs is that you have to be much faster than your opponent and they have to be untrained. It's not so much "Guy who was too slow for his weight class" as it is "Guy who is fighting other people that have literally any amount of training"
>>
File: The Naked Leopard.webm (930 KB, 426x426) Image search: [Google]
The Naked Leopard.webm
930 KB, 426x426
>>1234241
>Judo
>Best at throws

kek, Sambo far better. Can't even do a standard fireman's carry in Judo anymore - a move that was one of the original Judo throws from its founder. Plus, Kami Basami can really change things up.
>>
>>1280664
>The problem with the blocking and parrying in CMAs is that you have to be much faster than your opponent and they have to be untrained.
The problem with head movement and covering up in Western Boxing is that you have to be much faster than your opponent and they have to be untrained.
>>
>>1281119
Except that's demonstrably and objectively false. There are plenty of examples of boxing-style head movement and blocking working at the highest levels of boxing, kickboxing, mma, and in street fights, yet there's literally no examples of CMAshit being used to similar effectiveness anywhere.
>>
>>1244490
There's a part of that there, and then there's a part of it which is general of older teaching methods in general, which is to produce a strong mental/neurological base before teaching something. Consider, for example, in the west the strong emphasis on grammar, rhetoric and logic before you learned any content.

Which is the other thing that's been lost in this game of telephone: These weren't just fighting systems, but much more complete in a lot of ways, some of which are not good or necessary anymore, and never had anything to do with fighting.
>>
>>1281125
>there's literally no examples of CMAshit being used to similar effectiveness anywhere.
You obviously haven't been looking or you're just shitposting.
You can find King-Fu/Karate-like blocks all over Kickboxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehxZ_WMW_0I

Even one of our very own faggots right form /asp/ used them effectively.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48kZ5LFZblw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0mSAeVDcYI
>>
>>1234241
Are knife hand strikes commonly referred to as Karate Chops because Karate is the best style for knife hand strikes, or just because of popularity?
>>
>>1277020
>I don't know why so I'm just going to say he doesn't have experience
>>
>>1282442
Because Goju Karate is best martial art.
>>
>>1281281
>own faggots right form /asp/ used them effectively.
It's nice to feel like I'm a part of something.
<3
>>
>>1283419
>Goju is the best meme to come along since Wu
>>
>>1277028
How long did it take for your Windy gear to arrive? I ordered mine from the UK branch and it said it'd take 4-7 days.
>>
>>1234241
>forgetting about groin attacks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTvjEZVoZ9o
>>
Hi there guys. First time on this board and this thread seems appropriate. I'm a fat fuck but i want to change something in my life and take up some sort of fighting sport. Is krav maga actually viable to learn how to protect urself or is it just a meme? Will i be eaten alive and its better to lose weight before i seriously commit myself or it doesnt matter that much?
>>
>>1286739
Doing the martial art can be what helps you get in sbape. Krav can be not shit, but a big part of it is a meme. It's fine for an intro to self defense, or even as a supplement for other arts but it's not on the level of dedicating time to something where you can compete.
>>
>>1286739
>Is krav maga actually viable to learn how to protect urself or is it just a meme?
For self defense, it's good for a month or two, maybe a year if it's the good Krav Maga.
As a martial artist that also has self defense in mind, it's a great supplemental art.

>is it better to lose weight before I seriously commit myself
How big is your wallet?
You pay, for example, $30 a week. You go the 1st day, you tire out after 20min of the 1h class. You get delayed onset muscle soreness and are too sore the train the 2nd and 3rd day. You finally get back on the 4th day, and you last 25min this time. You don't train for days 5 and 6. You train day 7 out of pure will power, but then you'll have delayed onset muscle soreness the next week.
You paid $30 for 3 classes, when you could've paid $30 for 7 classes if you weren't so out of shape.
>>
>>1286739
Fat fucks are annoying for their attitude of pretending they want to lose weight and meanwhile putting minimal effort into things
From my experience no one has ever been mean towards fat people, but different styles could appeal to different personalities
Krav magra seems like a rather static (and meme) activity you could easily get into but that won't get you much lighter
>>
>>1286739
>Will i be eaten alive

Since Krav isn't practiced as some kind of competitive sport you can't be eaten alive. Nobody's going to hit you, because nobody hits anybody. Krav is all pretend.
>>
>>1289535
Have you seen that one Fight Quest episode where they do Krav Maga?
>>
>>1289013
I am currently losing weight, about 1kg a week, but i feel i can do something beside not eating everything in sight.
>>1289535
I didn't mean physically from getting beaten up. I am more interested in how conditionally challenging it is, because this is something i suck in the most.
>>1288784
Unfortunately i don't think i can consider myself as someone with deep wallet, but Thanks for info.

Tl;dr Thanks guys for help. I think in that case i will sign up for gym and do some cardio for some time till i think i would be able to keep up with the pace
>>
>>1280955
Sambo is harder to find than a non SJW in San Francisco
>>
>>1276461
Go more often
>>
>>1290541
>Tl;dr Thanks guys for help. I think in that case i will sign up for gym and do some cardio for some time till i think i would be able to keep up with the pace
You should take some time to actually research how much the martial art costs at what gym, how often they have classes, at what times, and you should watch a class or something.
Places often have free trials, and even if it doesn't say it on their website, if you call and ask, the chances are you can get to sit in on a class or two. You could also talk personally with the instructor or representative about how they do things, and how that works with your fitness level.
>>
>>1290541
>I think in that case i will sign up for gym and do some cardio for some time till i think i would be able to keep up with the pace
If you're tight on money, no need for a gym.

If you can't already, once you can do
- 20 pushups
- 30 situps
- 1 pullup
- finish 1 mile even if you have to walk in between short bursts of walking, and then walk 1 more mile
You're good.

You might not be able to hit class every day depending on how much of an emphasis they put on physical conditioning, but how much is skill+fun worth to you?
Might as well hit it while you're still young.
5 years of your life could fly before your eyes.
>>
>>1267443
>>1267669
You use the shin for power shots.
The instep is used like a boxer's jab. Saying that you can't kick with the instep effectively is like saying you can't punch with a jab effectively. You don't throw jabs to break bones, so why is the instep kick any different?
>>
File: Bikv3yY.png (240 KB, 509x583) Image search: [Google]
Bikv3yY.png
240 KB, 509x583
>>1234244
Clinching should be Greco-Roman.
>>
>>1235190
>The boxing stance is a problem
overly general statement is overly general
>>
>>1234299
>Martial Arts that will get me killed in real life for $500, Alex.
>>
File: fibula.jpg (7 KB, 400x320) Image search: [Google]
fibula.jpg
7 KB, 400x320
>>1291576
>You don't throw jabs to break bones
You might be able to break someone's fibula with enough stiff jabs.

Also, jabs aren't so bad for breaking noses.

Not to mention the power of jabs when you stand with more squared hips.
>>
>>1291786
Depends on the aims.

I remember my coach telling a story about the first time he trained in Thailand. He send he was pretty cocky about his clinch game because he had been doing a lot of Greco. It did not work quite the way he wanted when he was clinching with the Thais.

Of course, its a different sport, but he is known for his clinch game in Muay Thai. Maybe he wasn't then, that was a long time ago, but soon.
>>
>>1290541
>I am currently losing weight, about 1kg a week, but i feel i can do something beside not eating everything in sight.

It's actually imperative to do something else. The thing with starving yourself down is that your metabolism slows as a response to what your body perceives as starvation conditions, so when you get down to your target weight, you'll always be hungry (by that point your "I'm full" chemicals are basically gone) and your metabolism will be so slow that you'll pack pounds back on with tremendous ease, no matter how careful you are.

The only way out is to bulk up your musculature. Working out and getting fit allows you to eat enough to not feel miserable without becoming fat again.

So I'd recommend picking up a martial art, yes. Preferably something with a lot of conditioning. Or you can pick up yoga, that's pretty easy, yoga's really popular and you can probably get better deals on price.
Thread replies: 204
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.