[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How old is too old to start and compete in judo? I started it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7
File: jk.png (22 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
jk.png
22 KB, 700x700
How old is too old to start and compete in judo?

I started it earlier this year and I love it. I find it amazing and want to try and be the best I can and I sort of see competitions as the pinnacle.
I train 5-6 times a week.

I'm currently 19, but am turning 20 next month and I wonder if I'll be able to catch up with those who started as kids.
>>
>>1398860
Depends on your location really and how competitive your dojo is. You might not be an Olympian but you can rack up some fun and wins

I've done judo since I was in elementary school and finding a big enough pool to compete against was always a problem which is how i winded up going into wrestling during MS and HS.

I am rambling but depending on how well you're coach and how well of an athlete you are you can become decent, but you know its not about winning all the time, as you progress through your career and explore the art, you are ideally going to refine yourself as a fighter, artist, and competitor
>>
>>1398862
Olympics are not my goal anyway, but nationals/regional are.
Thanks.
>>
>>1398871
Nationals and regional are way viable

What's your rank and what moves are you working on currently?
>>
>>1398872
I just acquired yellow belt last week.
Currently working on refining the standard yellow belt throws though, I realize they may be good enough for a yellow belt, but they're not as good as I want them to be. Specifically morote seoi nage, ogoshi and osoto gari.
>>
File: abu dhabi grand prix seoi nage.gif (2 MB, 360x201) Image search: [Google]
abu dhabi grand prix seoi nage.gif
2 MB, 360x201
>>1398873
Gotcha, so you're barely getting the fundamentals down; so out of the 3 throws you sorta know, which one by instinct do you feel more drawn to during randori, i know you got one, you might try to sorta shove your foot forward for that osoto gari, or do you kinda wrap your hands around the beltline to get the hiptoss?

Hows the newaza at your gym?
>>
>>1398878
Ogoshi is my favourite, although I've barely done randori so far.

Concerning newaza; we do usually one round, though at times we go for 3 or 4, right after the warm up. We work specifically on armbars/chokes/etc a lot less than on throws, maybe once a week, if that much though.
>>
>>1398886
So what's stopping you from constantly landing o goshi? like can you reflect for me and tell me if you botch it mid way through, don't find an opening for it?

alright so you do get groundwork, know any specific newaza technique, i mean you're a yellow so you got yourself kesa, do you know any sweeps or tilts/turnovers to get into your pins?
>>
>>1398891
On the rare occasions we do randori, I'm always paired up with brown/black belts, as to not get injured and such.
I simply don't find an opening for anything and end up evading their advances most of the time. I also find that disrupting your opponent's balance in a fight is a lot harder than when practicing a new throw(obviously).

I know 2 basic turtle turnovers so far, I don't know if they have specific names though.
>>
>>1398891
Also, except kesa, I also know yoko shiho, kata, tate shiho, kami shiho, mune gatame.
We also worked on escaping yoko shiho and kesa gatame.
>>
File: gymnastic throw.gif (1022 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
gymnastic throw.gif
1022 KB, 320x180
>>1398901
From what i am reading you're giving a feeling you play rather defensively and not being rude or offensive but perhaps even a little scared because of the aggression?

That's always the toughest thing to instill and teach is more aggression specially in beginners, that is why drilling and randori/sparring are so crucial and there's that synergy to each learning tool. Its cliche but you gotta get more uchikomis in more reps before and after class, get that ingrained into your muscle memory,

but its not just uchikomis you need for your ogoshi, but you need moving, circling uchikomi that will help you fee/identify openings a bit better as you randori,

You should take advantage of ranodiring with those higher belts, dont be afraid if they come out and throw you, if they're worth their grain in salt they wont clobber you, just be aggressive and hit ogoshi, be the first one to initiate the throw, if you botch it, that's ok,askthem for feed back on what was the botch, the entry, the off balance, the finish,

hopefully as you reflect on that and take their advice your ogoshi can be polished upmore
>>
>>1398922
>From what i am reading you're giving a feeling you play rather defensively and not being rude or offensive but perhaps even a little scared because of the aggression?
Pretty accurate.

I'll continue working on those points, thanks.
>>
File: judo in wrestling seoi nage.gif (2 MB, 500x263) Image search: [Google]
judo in wrestling seoi nage.gif
2 MB, 500x263
>>1398917
ok ok so you know the "around the world" pinning drill where you start in one pin then transition into another pin seamless, am i correct?

Look up what a half nelson is, its a wrestling move, is that one of your turtle attacks you got?
>>
>>1398929
Yeah we did that "around the world".

It's not half nelson, it's apparently called double lapel rear.
>>
File: knee buckle osoto gari.gif (2 MB, 360x202) Image search: [Google]
knee buckle osoto gari.gif
2 MB, 360x202
>>1398935
>double lapel rear
is it this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGQLcVvu-o4

whats the other turnover and how comfortable are you with your newaza in general, can you defend decently against the basic chokes and armbars?
>>
>>1398942
Yeah that's the one. The other one's really similar, except you get your knee in the opponent's side and roll over a bit more I think.

I find newaza really exciting and challenging.I think I mostly defend by pure strength though, at least that's what my seniors usually note.There aren't many guys in my gym stronger than me so I probably power through most technique deficiencies. It's not that they're weak, but most are 16-19 and while this is my first time doing a martial art, I've been working out for a long time, at least as much to stay in decent shape.
I usually tap out when I try to attack and leave an opening.
>>
>>1398860
>If there is effort, there is always accomplishment.
>Jigoro Kano

>Knowledge, intelligence, and determination can compensate for each other.
>Anonymous
The brain of an adolescent is very plastic and able to create strong, lasting neuro-connections relative easily.
One's ability to strengthen one's aptitude is significantly reduced past the age of around 25 years.
After that, one's ability to strengthen one's bare basic ability to do things like memorize things, calculate, all other things stemming from that is just significantly reduced.
However, one's ability to recall stored information quickly and keep long-term memory is significantly increased.
Also, one can still learn and apply various techniques to improve one's ability of memorizing things and what not.
Knowledge, intelligence, and determination can compensate for each other.
>>
>>1398860
This copypasta could help you a little.

Having good genetics is like a Plusle that hatched at level 5.
Having average genetics is like a Minun that hatched at level 2.

For now, the Plusle is better than the Minun at Pokémon battle.

If you level up both the Plusle and Minun 2 more levels, the Plusle will be at level 7, and the Minun will be at level 4.
At this point the Plusle is the better Pokémon.

So far:
Plusle = level 7
Minun = level 4

Now, if the Minun were to go and train by himself, and level up 4 more levels while the Plusle sat on his ass playing Digimon, the Minun would be at level 8, and the Plusle would still be at level 7.

At this point, the Minun is stronger than the Plusle.

Plusle = level 7
Minun = level 8
>>
>>1398985
why are you shit posting?
>>
>>1398985
That doesn't even make sense since Pokemon genetics are IVs.
>>
>>1398985
What egg moves were they hatched with?
>>
>>1399276
Pokemon metagame is so boring
>>
>>1398860
I've seen studies that show that people who are most successful at sports often come to it at a later age after having done a variety of different sports as a child. It's definitely not too late, especially if you're coordinated and intelligent and can learn quickly.
>>
Yeah man, you can still compete. You can start at 50 and still compete. If you're looking for recognition for competing then unless you're French or Japanese you're in the wrong sport. But seriously, keep training and compete at regional/state/national level for 10 years and then when you're 30 you can compete in the Masters. Keep at it.
>>
you should quit judo and take something better like BJJ
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.