[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Professional Boxing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
Hey anons, I need an advice here, I'm studying Aircraft Maintenance, this is a two year course I've been taking for almost five years now, I just keep failing this.. I guess subconsciously I know that once I graduated from this I'd be stuck there fixing planes, but thats the thing I'm not interested in aviation one way or another, my parents kind of pushed this on my throat when I was 17 (when I started college) I'm almost 21 now and I have never felt joy in studying this.

Yes I could have told them that I dont want to become an AMT, yes I could have convinced them to shift my course, but that's the thing, I don't want to do anything else, I don't want a 9-5 office job, I just don't see myself living that kind of life, its like I don't have a place in this world.

Now there's boxing, I'll be having my first amateur fight late may, and the thought of it makes me shiver, I know this is something I want to do, and I'm barely excited to do anything else other than this, my question is, how do I transition into Pro Boxing? I have never gave my 100% to anything else, everything about it feels right, I want to give my all to it, I'm not trying to reach the top or except to, I just feel that this is the one thing I'll wake up 5am in the morning for. so please understand me anons
>>
You're going to have to get a job to support yourself while you dedicate yourself to Boxing, right?

Just get that degree for Boxing.
It'd be better than being a cashier at the local grocery store, right?

I don't know about you, but fixing planes sounds a lot better than grocery store to me.
>>
>>1170349
This, it can also be good physical exercise at times and the pay will be decent I assume, plus its something good to fall back on if boxing doesn't work out
>>
>>1170349
>>1170363
oh I am going to finish that course, I just wont be going at it full time
>>
>>1170114
Why don't you study something related to boxing like sports studies or whatever the equivalent in your country (Human anatomy applied to sports+Nutrition+training methodology and injury prevention) so you can get certification and find work in a boxing gym ?

The difference between pro and amateur boxing is just being paid to compete. Talk to your coach about it.Seems you aren't a total beginner.
After that ,train as much as you want to win (aka more than the guy in the opposite corner) but that's not exclusive to the pro circuit
>>
>>1171761
but is it not too late for me to have a career? most pro boxers start at 18, im almost 21
>>
>>1174462
>im almost 21
You've still got about 4 years of neuroplasticity on you.

As long as you dedicate yourself, you're good.
It's not too long to become a great professional fighter as long as you stay dedicated.
>>
>>1174462
>Too old to start
>Most pro boxers start at 18
No such thing. Holyfield started going pro at 21 ,frazier at 20 ,Larry holmes at 23 and many more started older. Lomachenko started at 25 for a more recent boxer. Lenox lewis started pro boxing at 25 too and James smith at 27.
Most of them were world class boxers and challenged the world titles in the category and kept boxing until late in ther 30s early 40s.
Look up any famous boxers. Not everyone has the situation to become a 18yo world title contender like tyson ,like 90% of pro boxers will never get a shot at a world title either

Whether you start pro boxing at 28 after 10 years of experience or at 25 after 10 years of exeperience ,what will matter is how much you train.
Yeah yeah I know neuroplasticity and all ,but that never stopped anyone to do a good pro career and even less a good amateur one. You're not as old as you think jesus you're only 20yo.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergio_Mart%C3%ADnez_%28boxer%29#Early_life
Sergio Martinez started boxing all together at fucking 20. Look where he is now. Stop finding excuses and go train harder than others
>>
>>1175047
I must apologize, its that Tyson is my mountain, so I assumed that they start that young.

can I ask though, how hard is the transition? should I just tell my coach that I want to become pro and get a license? is it that easy?
>>
>>1175111
Your coach will probably tell you more specifically whether you're ready or not.

Mine specifically told me that fighting pro, at least at the entry levels, is actually much easier than fighting amateur. Because the rounds are longer and there are more (12 minutes total vs 6 in novice amateur), you have more time to set up and adjust. Whereas in amateur everything is more compressed and intense because both you and your opponent are trying to score more meaningful shots in a shorter window.

Additionally, because of how matchmaking works in pro, you're more likely to be set up against someone who is closer to your actual skill level while in amateur once you enter the open division (10+ fights) it's pretty much a crap shoot.

The biggest negative to going pro early is you're robbing yourself of valuable fight experience (not just in-ring, but actual fight) and situations where you REALLY have to hone your defense because of how the amateur system is set up.

Go for it, man. I'm older but, if I end up being good enough in my fight in June, I plan on going professional and doing local fights here and there until my age finally catches up to me.
>>
>>1175111
Most boxers do start very, very young. Especially nowadays.

One piece of advice though, start studying other boxers and how they approach boxing. Look at Ward, Rigondeaux, GGG, Lomachenko, Pep, Leonard, Duran, etc and really appreciate the science of it and really start applying it in your approach.

If youre worried about being a little older and that being a detriment, you need to use your head and fight that much smarter than your opponent. The only way to do that is REALLY study the greats and see what made them so successful.
>>
>>1175131
Thanks man, I'll atleast secure 6-8 amateur fights before I turn pro.

best luck to you, friend.
>>
File: 1459157622167.jpg (59 KB, 580x370) Image search: [Google]
1459157622167.jpg
59 KB, 580x370
>>1175111
Look at the rules and equipement. It's one of the biggest indicator of the differences at how the fights usually tends to go.
Good luck getting a KO in amateur with 6 rounds ,headgear and over padded gloves (iirc they are).
Just have a talk with your coach. Ask him to ramp up your training and start getting in more depth about how you fight ,taking videos of sparring really helps to see the blatant weakness we all have and discuss them with people. Like the namefag says getting inspiration from top boxers can really help you.
I have a friend that's southpaw and while he knew about the "keep your front foot outside" watching Lomachenko and gary russel jr led to more understanding how to use it fully.

And like I said ,if you really want to make boxing your living ,better prepare to own your own gym or work in one. I see nothing that would prevent you from that if you're not just a hobbyist.

>>1175139
>Most boxers do start very, very young.
Yeah there is that but starting isn't really a good information. Someone training for 5 or 6 years with 2 seances a week isn't necessarily better than someone doing 4-5 seance a week for 2 year.
And he isn't that old either . If he was 30 or something i could understand but he isn't starting to get bad backs and trouble recovering
>>
>>1170114

Sergio Martinez started at 20

If you put everything into it you have a chance
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.