[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sg/ - Ski General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 14
File: Gunsight Alta.jpg (228 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
Gunsight Alta.jpg
228 KB, 800x533
/sg/ - Ski General #9
Spring edition
Last thread: >>980252

>I've never skied before, what do I need to know before I start?
pastebin.com/gpincHC3

>What skis should I get?
evo.com/how-to-choose-skis-size-chart-and-guide.aspx

>What boots should I get?
It is extremely important to get boots that fit you well and to have them heat moulded. Therefore, it is very important to go to a professional bootfitter (not just a ski shop, but specifically a bootfitter). For a list of reputable bootfitters, refer to epicski.com/wiki/boot-fitters-on-epicski
You can also consider getting custom footbeds for increased comfort and performance. If you are a beginner this is not that important (though getting boots from a bootfitter is), but if you are an advanced-expert skier it will make a big difference.

>Why is it so important to go to a bootfitter?/I went to a bootfitter and still have a problem, what's wrong?
epicski.com/a/boot-fitting-which-boot-will-work-for-me

>What bindings should I get?
The most important things to consider with bindings are DIN range and brake width. Your DIN should be around the middle of your binding's DIN range. For example, if you ski with a DIN of 7, a 4-12 binding would be good for you. A 1-7 or a 7-16 would be bad. If you don't know your DIN, look up a DIN chart.
The brake width should be approximately equal to the waist of the ski. It's better for the brake to be a little smaller than a little bigger (ski shop techs can bend the brakes when they mount the bindings), but if you go more than 7mm or so smaller the brakes might not fit well. Going up to about 10mm wider on the brakes is alright too as long as you don't carve really aggressively.

>Where should I ski?
Right now: onthesnow.com/skireport.html
In general: onthesnow.com/ski-resort.html

>I suck at skiing, how can I get better?
Stop being a faggot and huck something big. Or post video of you skiing ITT and we'll critique it.

>Is it true that only faggots snowboard?
Yes.
>>
File: Death.webm (660 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Death.webm
660 KB, 1280x720
Death Chute two days ago. Very fun line. Any Snowbirdfags here want to ski with me?
>>
I once skied and it was pretty fun
>>
>>1091594
Neat!
>>
Get in here fags
>>
File: Ballbuster2.webm (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Ballbuster2.webm
3 MB, 1920x1080
Reposting old stuff to keep this thread alive
>>
Kool vid

http://youtu.be/5__mgGcv1dA
>>
>>1088756

>Epicski

Hello dad.
>>
>>1098192
Hello son. How was school today?
>>
I'm going to Tahoe early April. How shit will it be?
Also, I think I'll take lessons next season. I don't feel like I'm improving much at all on my own.
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 450x450
Thoughts on Kastle skis? Particularly the MX88.
>>
>>1098360
If you are concerned about Tahoe spring conditions, ski Snowbird instead. April is often the best time to ski Snowbird. I wouldn't bet on Tahoe.
>>
>>1098900
Well, I have the epic pass and been to Colorado and Utah already this season. It's a crap shoot going so late though. Next year I'll hit up Utah in the spring.
>>
File: Door 2.5.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Door 2.5.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
Really fun line I skied today.
>>
File: Door 4.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Door 4.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
Another fun line from today
>>
File: Broom Closet.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Broom Closet.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYmcm5bKvxk
>>
File: 2.jpg (2 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
2 MB, 4000x3000
>be today
>be me
>just skiing along
>left toe binding randomly falls off
RIP in peace ;_;

>inb4 mounted wrong
Many hundreds of hours skied on them. They're just old. Was about to retire the skis and bindings anyway. They'll be missed, I've been through a lot with these skis.
>>
File: Rasta Couloir.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Rasta Couloir.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>
>>1112423
maybe we should just migrate boards

>>>/out/703784
>>
File: GOPR0369.webm (629 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
GOPR0369.webm
629 KB, 1920x1080
>>1112980
I'll bump with some webms, /out/ is slow
>>
File: GOPR0370.webm (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
GOPR0370.webm
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>
File: GOPR0371.webm (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
GOPR0371.webm
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>
File: Little Kong.png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Little Kong.png
1 MB, 1366x768
>>
File: Little Kong 3rd person.webm (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Little Kong 3rd person.webm
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>1117118
Video of this
>>
its almost the end of season in yurop, what do you expect
i wish i could go skiing to us someday
or at least russia, they have places where you can ski until june
>>
>>1120338
>tfw skied in August in Utah
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.