[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rat General: Spring Has Sprung Edition Post your ratties and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 53
Rat General: Spring Has Sprung Edition

Post your ratties and help out your fellow anons.
>>
Two months ago one of my girls had an ear infection that gave her a head tilt. Round of antibiotics got rid of it. It's back again and even worse, now her head's even more tilted. She's like a tiny drunk person walking around.

Fucking ear infections. She's on antibiotics again, but how long until it clears up?
>>
File: IMG_20160401_213858181.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160401_213858181.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
Sookie rat letting me hold her paw.

She's 2 years old. I got her from Petco, I went in to buy rat food and they had an oops litter that someone had brought in. Adopted her and her sister (RIP) for five bucks each. She has a tiny ear and a cloudy eye.
>>
My rats stopped scratching and her wound healed, whatever was bothering her seems to be gone, so I decided to finally introduce her to a neighbour. However they don't seem to be interested in interactions.
>>
>>2097988

Could have been hotspots. Monitor your rodent's protein intake carefully.
>>
>>2094695
Hey guys one of my rats has been running for the Republican nomination for the past several months now, I thought it was going to clear up on it's own but now he's in a feud with Donald Trump and I'm worried it could be more than just a phase. Should I change his food pellets?
>>
>>2098375

You're mistaken.

What you have is a rogue buck mouse.

Buck rats are loyal, communal, comunsal, and brave.

Did your candidate lack the ability to maintain a healthy relationship with it's female offspring? Has it shown signs of fearfulness, selfishness, inability to act outside of it's territory?

Congrats! You have a Cruz Mouse-ille.
>>
I asked a family member to pick me up some f/t rats for my snake today and the pet store gave him live rats and he didn't realize it til he got home. I kept one to give to a friend who I'm keeping overnight. He's the cutest little guy. I'm curious though, if he just sits there and let's me pet him, is he being still because he likes it or because he's terrified? when he's sitting on me he'll groom and walk around and explore and isn't aggressive and doesn't run from my hand or anything. I just can't tell if he's super friendly or traumatized.
>>
>>2098373
Isn't it crude protein specifically? I don't believe regular protein(???) or animal protein is bad, but I'm working off what I know for mice.
>>
>>2098383
Rats will hide when they're scared. They won't do normal behavior like grooming and exploring unless they feel safe. He isn't traumatized. Congrats, sounds like you managed to find a real friendly one!
>>
>>2098571
Awesome, great. He was the only one in the box that was stretching out and exploring, although none of them seemed scared of my hand, but I figured he was the healthiest and most friendly. They have another rat from me and he doesn't have a buddy, so this was kind of the perfect situation. I'd have hate to given them a nervous/unfriendly rat.
>>
>>2098373
I'm sorry, I'm not native English speaker and googling hotspot only shows lots of articles about Wi-Fi. Also, what kind of protein intake do you mean? Like not giving them too much meat? Giving them enough of it?
>>
>>2094695
>cleaning cage this morning
>put rat down on the bed
>seems sleepy, fur rumpled like he hasn't been grooming
>suspicion
>pick him up
>unusually cuddly, almost falls asleep on my chest
>skin on back tents when I pinch it
>ohshit.jpg

>consult interweb
>get him to drink a little Gatorade from an eyedropper
>perks right back up, starts running around everywhere, grooming himself and flattening all his messed up fur back down

He's drinking and eating normally right now and is no longer lethargic. Is he okay, was I just being paranoid?
His skin doesn't seem to be tenting anymore, but it doesn't seem to spring back as quickly as it should.
He got annoyed with me for pinching him and trying to hold him so he'd drink, so at least the lethargy is completely gone...
>>
>>2098648
Also, his breathing is normal, he's not showing any porphyrin discharge, and doesn't seem to be in distress, so he probably doesn't have a respitory problem
>>
>>2098648
>>2098649
I don't know about how common this is in rats, but in any other animal I'd say it sounds like hypoglycemia.
>>
I used to have a rat named Albus Dumbledoor and he was the sweetest little fluff
>>
>>2098623
google "pet hotspot"

it's basically a skin infection
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxQksEF2uso
>>
How necessary is a quarantine period after getting a new rat? I keep reading that you should keep them separate for like 3 weeks... but this new rat will nearly be an adult by that time. I'm trying to introduce 2 unneutered males and am very nervous about it, so I got a much younger rat, since supposedly adult bucks are less likely to see them as a territorial threat.
>>
>>2094695
I want a rat but rodents leak piss everywhere they go and I don't want to be covered in piss.
>>
>>2099979
Get females. They don't piss everywhere and usually try not to poop on humans (But aren't very good at holding back, it seems)
>>
>>2099995
>and usually try not to poop on humans (But aren't very good at holding back, it seems)

you aren't helping
>>
>>2100094
Don't be such a pussy. Rat shit is little dry pellets you can easily just brush off clothes and surfaces, and the marking behavior is just 1-2 droplets at a time. It doesn't stink or stain unless you let it accumulate.
>>
>>
Anything special I should know about care of hairless/mostly-hairless rats as opposed to normal furred ones? I've kind of - stumbled into ownership of one.
>>
TFW lice are draining your ratties dry and you caught it too late. Lost 3 already, I'm dosing all of them with ivermectin and putting DE in their bedding. Potential respiratory damage is better than death. I feel like such a shitty owner.
The first one had a huge tumor and when he started getting thin and died I assumed it was just that. The second one shocked me and I investigated the body closely, and found tons of lice migrating to the warmth of my hand. I immediately ran to the feed store and got ivermectin and DE and started treatment, but it was too late for his cagemate. They all seem stable now, but one is still not doing great. Lice are awful.
>>
>>2100282
They're more prone to skin problems, abscess, cysts, things like that.
>>
>>2100365
Sorry anon, that's terrible :(
I usually inspect my rat's fur and skin for anything suspicious every time I hold them.
>>
In principle, is in normal for rats to scratch themselves or is it always a sign of problem. I thought I got rid of my rat's problems that caused her itch (Either I killed all the mites or she recovered by herself) since her wounds are healing, but I'm not sure, because they didn't heal completely.
>>
>>2099979
Aren't rats able to be "litter box" trained?
>>
>>2100365
You don't spend enough time with them. I've always spotted lice within a few days because their behavior changes.

>>2101061
Could be allergies? Scratching is normal but not to the point scabs form. She might just be taking longer to heal.
>>
>>2101070
Might be. At the height of the problem my rat had two large scab patches on her neck and cluster of scratches on her shoulder. Now only small scab patch remains on one side, although I found pellets I use for her cage stuck on it a few times suggesting she was bleeding while I wasn't watching.

I'm worried because I couldn't bear keeping her alone anymore and I'm worried it might've been a mistake to introduce her to another rat if it's infectious.
>>
>>2101062
Yes, but males 'dripple' no matter what. They're marking their territory. You can't train that out of them as far as I know.
>>
File: IMG_7583.jpg (59 KB, 614x432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7583.jpg
59 KB, 614x432
I'm usually the one giving out advice on these threads, but I'm completely stumped.

We have a boy who's maybe eighteen months old. He is. COVERED. in sores and scabs. We've had lice before, and this isn't that. He had the scabs when he was in with one other rat, he had them when that rat died and he was alone, and he has them now that he has a new friend. We haven't noticed him especially barbering, and even if he were, I have no idea what's stressing him out so much. He's been to the vet a number of times, but even though I absolutely adore our vet, she's equally stumped. Can't find any sharp points on his cage. He's on aspen, if that matters.

Anyone have any experience with this? We're considering a cone, but we don't really know how to...go about that. What keeps it on?

Thanks. (pic not related.)
>>
>>2101413
Did she take samples for microscopic mites? The kind of mites you can't see with naked eye?

I'm posting with the similar problem here >>2101210 - and my symptoms also conincided with death of cagemate and declined after a dousing her with anti-mite medicine, extensive cage cleaning every few days and introduction of a new cagemate. Can't say what actually helped and if any actually made any difference.
>>
>>2101413
If you've ruled out mites/lice, try different bedding and different food. Could be allergies.
>>
>>2101495
Seconding this. Perhaps something has started to irritate his skin now he's getting older, and it's making him scratch himself to bits.
>>
>>2101413
Mind that sometimes you just end up with a terribly bred rat.

Aspen isn't ideal. As other anons said, try changing bedding and food. Too much protien/ an ingredient he's allergic to?
>>
>>2101533
Actually is he hairless or Rex? Or pretty old? Is he grooming properly?
>>
>>2101533
I'll give that a shot. I'm a little afraid of giving him an anti-mite bath with his wounds all open. Won't that burn like hell?

>>2101534
He's not hairless. Not that old. Seems to be grooming thoroughly.
>>
File: IMG_9100.jpg (3 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9100.jpg
3 MB, 4608x3456
>>2101473
>>2101495
>>2101529
>>2101533
>>2101534
btw, rat on the right is him, Jasper. The hooded is his late brother, Newman.
>>
>>2101495
Try that pelleted or shredded newspaper bedding. NO cedar, though.
>>
>>2101775
I know no pine or cedar, just picked up some paper bedding today. Will clean his cage tonight and with any luck see some changes in his condition in a few days.
>>
i have a neutered male that will only sit on top of the cushion next to my head on the couch. he will sit there for hours just staring. he lets me pet him and seems ok but this must be very boring for him. is this normal?
>>
>>2102114
If he was bored, he would move, woudn't he? He must just love this spot for some reason.
>>
>>2102114
My rats do this on occasion. Sometimes they'll just stare at nothing.

Rats can hear at frequencies we can't, so I think sometimes they're focussing on noises we can't hear. When I have my portable heater on they'll often just stare straight at it, even though it's not moving or doing anything. Perhaps he's just sitting listening to something you can't detect. Or maybe he just loves chilling with you there.
>>
File: 20160416_051356.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160416_051356.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
Not a rat, close enough.

Rocko, my baby oppussum. Had him for over a week now.

Also before ppl complain or bitch, I am a vet, so I am more than capable in taking care of him.
>>
>>2102372 >>2102222

he doesn't seem like he is trying to focus on anything. he just goes up there and sits like a fat blob. i could leave and come back a few hours later and he would still be sitting there. i'm not exaggerating.
he also has free range so he could just go if he wanted to? i have never had a rat that did anything like this. it's really cute but its odd?
>>
>>2102382
Tell me everything about him, please

His cage, diet, behavior, poop, etc
>>
>>2101700
FATRATS
A
T
R
A
T
S
>>
File: IMG_20160406_220739952.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160406_220739952.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
Eggy rat
>>
Should I give milk to my rats? I bought a very young rat and pet shop clerk advised to give her milk but she isn't that enthusiastic about milk compared to older rat.
>>
thank you ratto
>>
>>2103948
Milk is generally not good for animals. Unless its so young it hasn't been weaned yet, there's no special need to feed it. If that were the case anyway, you shouldn't have been sold an animal that young, and will need to give it kitten formula not cows milk. Sounds sketchy af.
>>
>>2104065
>there's no special need to feed it

Milk that is. Don't starve your animals lol.
>>
I have two old rats about two and a half and I rescued them when they were about 6 months from a family who kept them in a tiny glass case. They have had respiratory infections since i got them one pretty severe. I have been able to keep it at bay so far but he suddenly got a lot skinnier. They are already on a daily regiment of meds and I have a humidifier. He is still eating and he is drinking alot more then usual. I am calling the vet tomorrow and I have cracked open his emergency med. Is their anything else I can do?
>>
File: 1450397321793.png (109 KB, 261x237) Image search: [Google]
1450397321793.png
109 KB, 261x237
I got a ~6 week old male to introduce to my 1-and-3/4 year old male who lost his brother back in January. Their cages have been next to each other for about a week, I dabbed vanilla on their nose and rump, introduced them in neutral territory, etc... all older male wants to do is nip the little one while he cries and drew blood behind the ear in their second real introduction today.

My first attempt at introducing rats ended disastrously, but I chalked it up to the being two adult males, one of which had never lived with other rats previously. I'm starting to think "rats are social animals and need a buddy, rats that refuse all social contact are rare!" is a fucking meme and I have been continually rused.
>>
Hey /an/
My girlfriend has gotten two new rats (one about 7 weeks, the other 4 months), when I try and pick them up the older one squeals like he is being murdered but calms down straight away.
Will he grow out of this or will it take a while for him to get used to me? He comes up to me and cuddles me so Im just guessing he doesnt like being picked up
>>
>>2105266
I don't know, my rats never squaled at me. I would think it's hurt if any did.
>>
I don't think they're rats proper, but would it be unethical to house two gerbils in a 100 liter aquarium? Got an old one lying around and I've been looking at the gerbils in the pet store.
>>
>>2105271
I wouldn't house anyone in aquarium who isn't fish.
>>
>>2105288
Yeah fair enough, I wasn't sure since it was so big and I'd be able to modify it but I just wanted to make sure.
>>
>>2105297
The main issue with keeping rodents in aquariums is the lack of airflow/ventilation, which is unfortunately not something you can really modify. Wire cages are a thousand times better in that regard.

That being said, I wouldn't say it's necessarily UNETHICAL to keep rodents in aquariums provided they're cleaned quite frequently (like twice a week - but this will cost you in litter). There are also wire attachments you can buy and strap onto the tops of aquariums so that the pet isn't just sitting in its own ammonia-laden urine all the time. Never seen one for a 100 gallon tank, but then again I've never looked.
>>
>>2105310
Yeah I getchu, I was thinking of taking out the front and replacing it and the top with wire cage stuff but at that point I might as well just get a large wire cage. I guess it was honestly just a stupid question to begin with, but I'll blame it on a lack of sleep.
>>
>>2103948
Dairy milk is no good, but soy milk is fine. Try mixing it with oats to make a warm porridge, rats love it, and it's great for old/sick rats too.

>>2104231
Keep him warm and stress free as possible. The fact he's eating and drinking is a good sign.

>>2104233
What sort of crying was it, anon? Meeps and squeaks, or loud screams? Sounds like your older male is trying to establish dominance rather than kick the shit out of him. Rats make EEP EEP noises in submission, this isn't anything to worry about (one of my girls is a drama queen and does this constantly if anyone grooms her, lol).

Some rats are just arseholes and take a while to warm to new friends. I've had rats that were cuddling within 10 minutes and sharing a cage in 3 days. Keep trying anon, and take it step by step. It's possible.
>>
>>2105266
How are you picking him up anon? Remember rats are prey animals, if you grab him from above like a fucking owl he's going to panic. Make sure the rat knows what you're about to do, and be firm with him. Trying giving him a small treat when he's picked up, he'll quickly learn it's a good thing.
>>
My rat is completely healed from her scratching, so I guess I celebrate. I'm surprised she healed this well, I thought there would be scars.

I'm still at loss at what was the problem. Were it indeed ticks I killed with medication? I didn't really get to changing bedding material or diet. Could it be stress? It started soon after her friend died.
>>
I adopted a pair of rats from a shelter. One is albino, one is a patchwork, which I've never seen until I got her.

They're both friendly, but the patchwork I think is in shock. She barely moves around (though I know she's capable), she stares so hard she didn't blink when I accidentally touched her eye. She is always laying as low to the floor as possible, not curled up, just in her belly and chin. I saw her eat very small pieces of food, twice, and groom twice. But I'm worried about her weird behavior.

Does she just need time to adjust? I've had rats who were scared and would hide, but she doesn't move. She has a nice cage with warm bedding and warm, snuggly hides and hammocks, so she's not cold. She seems better inside my shirt though, that's where I've seen her relax and groom.

Pic related is close to what she looks like, but isn't her. She's a dumbo and has the same dark "V" mask.
>>
>>2105354
At first it was just the small "eep" squeaks, but then the older rat bit and drew blood and the little guy let out what I've seen described as a shriek. However, I introduced them again today briefly and to my great surprise they did just fine. Big Guy gave the newbie a few gentle nibbletugs on the ear but otherwise largely ignored him. New rat seems pretty scared of him now and freezes when he comes near, but he wasn't too afraid to accept treats, which seemed like a good sign. Maybe it is just a matter of patience.
>>
File: IMG_20160401_212105752.jpg (1010 KB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160401_212105752.jpg
1010 KB, 1456x2592
Rats have really sensitive respiratory systems, I wouldn't risk keeping them in an aquarium even with a wire topper.

My rat Sookie was born with a tiny ear and a cloudy eye. Anyone else have rats with physical oddities?
>>
>>2105807
My siamese boy who passed earlier this year had a "gimp" paw. He couldn't grasp with it well and it kinda curled in. It was adorable when he still tried to grab you with it to groom you though.
>>
>>2105611
>Maybe it is just a matter of patience.
It absolutely is, anon. Some rats take a lot more work to get to accept new cage buddies than others, but once they do they are much better off for it. Very rarely is there a rat so aggressive that being alone is the only option. Keep taking it slow, but persistent.

My personal way of introducing rats goes something like this:
>cages next to each other so they can see and smell each other for about a week
>after that, for about an hour a day for a few days to a week, switch the rats. This way they can wander around the other rat's cage and start getting more used to having its smell around
>only after that do you put the rats together. in a neutral place, like a bath tub. Provide treats if they will eat them. Possible smother the rats with pudding or applesauce so they will lick each other. Do it for as long as they seem to be comfortable with it, any aggression and stop for the day.
>then you can start having longer play sessions in the bed or couch or something
>after they are comfortable, clean the cage they will share. Scrub it good and make sure no one's scent is in it. Put new boxes, fresh food, etc. in it. Insert rats.

I've had about 20 rats over the years and never yet had a rat that I had to keep single.
>>
>>2105578
Is this normal rat coat or did it lose some fur?
>>
>>2106161
he had pituitary gland tumor, it is a sympthom of that
>>
File: 1454989993968_0.png (699 KB, 957x1069) Image search: [Google]
1454989993968_0.png
699 KB, 957x1069
>>
File: boogers.gif (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
boogers.gif
3 MB, 480x270
One of the largest rats in existence
>>
>>2106430
It's normal, it's a double rex
>>
>>2106550
Why does he always look like he's about to cry?
>>
>>2105611
That sounds normal. The fights can seem pretty violent in the start, and a bit of blood is to be expected, but they usually make friends and start sleeping together within 1 to 2 weeks. The older one just needs to assert his dominance and show the new guy who's the boss.

'Rats need to live with other rats' is absolutely not a meme. I've personally had over 15 and only 1 refused all cagemates no matter how many times I tried. They're so much more content with a buddy they can sleep and play with.
>>
>>2106690
How much is "a bit of blood"? Yesterday I tried again; there was a lot of tussling and shrieking from the little guy, but it seemed like normal dominance shit. Today the little one is dripping blood from his tail base, shoulder, and armpit and I'm ready to give up. It's not worth traumatizing him like this.
>>
>>2106716
I mean, shit, I recorded it on my cell phone and will show you guys if you want. I love owning rats but I'm so fucking frustrated with this process.
>>
>>2106723
You should separate them. Male rodents have issues with other males anyway. The only time I've seen male rats get along are if they're brothers or if they're the same size. If ones bigger, even with brother, the bigger one will try and kill the smaller one.

Sorry anon, but it wasn't meant to be.

Get them both neutered and give them a female companion. He'll, neutering them might allow you to reintroduce them.
>>
>>2106728
*brothers
*Hell
>>
My girl got sick last night took her to the vet and got antibiotics now,was breathing problems as well as her being cold, she is separated from her sister how long should I keep her away from her sister before putting her back in her normal cage ?
>>
>tfw your mom has always been terrified of mice and rats, and you live in the middle of nowhere so almost every pet store around the area closes down within months or is seedy as fuck

basically i got to hold a rat for the first time today and it was pretty awesome. theyre even more adorable in the flesh and i love their teesy little paws. now im sorely tempted to get a few one day, but im apprehensive because ive heard their lifespans are only three years or so. im a huge fucking bleeding heart so im not sure if i could fall in love with an animal only to have it pass away so soon.

is it really worth it?
>>
What can cause discolouration in a rats feet, there not there pinky colour there a purplish colour, she has been taken to the vet and said she was cold but she's had a hot water bottle with her overnight and no real change in colour
>>
>>2106728
> the bigger one will try and kill the smaller one.
Never seen that happen except once with a weirdo(who has now learned to at least tolerate other rats), and I've introduced a lot of adults to younger rats who all ended up besties. Rats being so aggressive they can't be kept with others are an exception, but it's true male rats are more territorial and likely to fight and its harder to introduce a full adult to a baby.

>>2106716
>blood from his tail base, shoulder, and armpit
That's too much. The older rat is bullying him. A few scratches on the surface of the skin with a bit of blood is what I would call 'normal'. There's not much to do but be patient and keep reintroducing them on neutral grounds. Don't keep them together unsupervised. Step in if one of them starts up the aggressive behavior. How big is the size difference between them? There is a chance the older rat will stop once the baby has grown a bit.

Don't give up yet. It's all worth it if it works out.
>>
>>2106930
>There's not much to do but be patient and keep reintroducing them
Oh yeah and I forgot, what the other anon said, neutering is your best option of stopping the aggressive behavior if nothing else works.
>>
>>2106866
>is it really worth it?
Wouldn't be keeping rats if it wasn't, but it is pretty hard. Most owners keep multiple though, so when one passes, you still have the others to comfort you. Which can end up being an evil circle of sort. I feel like I can't stop having rats, because whenever one dies I buy a new one because I don't want the leftover cage-mate to be alone, and the new rat helps me stop blubbering over the one that died.

With a social and cuddly rat, you get as attached to them as you would a dog, so their short lifespan really does hurt.
>>
File: Africa-rat-201106202.jpg2.jpg (45 KB, 570x352) Image search: [Google]
Africa-rat-201106202.jpg2.jpg
45 KB, 570x352
Is it legal to keep a Gambian Pouched rat as a pet? I know they're still super invasive in Florida...
I want a rat that's big enough to be friends with my cat without her trying to kill it.
>>
Taken my baby girl to vet she has discoloured feet and tip of her tail, vet said could be she's cold but she's been sleeping with a hot water bottle and the colour hasn't gone back to normal. Any ideas ?
>>
>>2107066
Not sure if legal where you live, but they are in the UK. Though, you should know Gambian pouch rats aren't identical to fancy rats at all. They're not as domesticated, way more destructive and likely to bite and/or be skittish, and they live for about 8 years. It's a much bigger commitment than a pair of rats, because it's unlikely you will be able to pass it on to someone else if things don't turn out well, and they need a lot of training.
>>
>>2107126
Pics of her feet
>>
>>2107066
I have normal fancy rats and my roommates cat has never tried to hurt em in fact if they get close to the cat the cat runs off and hides
>>
File: WP_20160424_004.jpg (739 KB, 3200x1804) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160424_004.jpg
739 KB, 3200x1804
>>2107444
See how they have a slight discolour compares to there normal very light pink colour
>>
File: socomfy.jpg (394 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
socomfy.jpg
394 KB, 960x1280
>>
My old rat finally fully accepted her new neighbour. That's cute. Too bad I never get a chance to snap a good picture.
>>
File: 0423161430a.jpg (616 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
0423161430a.jpg
616 KB, 1280x960
>>2107617
It looks normal to me.

Here's my girl, Delilah.
>>
File: 0423161436~2.jpg (185 KB, 1154x956) Image search: [Google]
0423161436~2.jpg
185 KB, 1154x956
>>2107969
>>
>>2107617
Anon, I have a condition called Raynaud's phenomenon, and my hands go exactly like that when I'm cold.

Can rats have Raynaud's? It affects extremities, so it would make sense for the feet/tip of tail to be affected.
>>
Hi everyone, first post on /an/

thinking of getting some rats. Most likely 2 females, since i hear males will piss everywhere.

So where do you actually get your rats? Are big stores like petco and petsmart generally frowned upon?
>>
>>2108763
If you can find one, rats from a good breeder is your best choice. They will usually have been handled a lot by a human, have been checked over for any illness+ come from healthy parents. They're a bit more expensive, but you also normally get a refund rat if the one you've bought suddenly dies without a noticeable cause.

Pet store rats are usually also feeder rats, they aren't handled very carefully and there is no knowing what conditions they came from, or if they have any genetic problems or stuff like parasites.

That's not to say common pet store and feeder rats can't be just as good pets. You just need to be more careful when picking them out. Check how the conditions are in the store, if the animals seem content, if the rats are curious and not all huddling up and hiding when you come near.
>>
>>2107969
>>2107972

>curly whiskers
:3
>>
>>2106644

Because america is so destroyed and it just rips his heart out.
>>
>>2105288

Aquariums are pretty much the ideal habitat for mice.

Everything else is an escape hazard.

They're also great for gerbils, who produce little waste and do well with an extremely deep layer of bedding
>>
>>2105271

Aquariums are pretty much the BEST housing for gerbils.

Gerbils produce very, very little waste and they like extremely deep (5") layers of bedding. (Low dust hay is a good bedding choice).

But I would recommend adopting homeless gerbils rather than buying them from a pet store.

They're not so great for rats, but as a home for gerbils, they are good.
>>
>>2108763

petfinder.com is a great resource.
>>
File: nfrs_squirrel2.jpg (21 KB, 226x159) Image search: [Google]
nfrs_squirrel2.jpg
21 KB, 226x159
>Go to rat show
>One entry was a squirrel variety (pic related)
>Talking to owner about it
>She talks about how hard it was to breed
>Took me nearly 200 kits until I produced one anon
>mfw breeding rats is like breeding Pokemon
>>
I just got a pair of rats, both from the same litter. I wanted to use the same cage I used for my last rats and ferret, but they little bastards can fit through the wires. I thought the cage would work since the last rats and ferrets were fine, but these new rats are ~3 months old. They're much smaller and slipperier. Do I just need to go get a new cage or is there some alternative?
>>
>>2110460
We always used old aquariums with wire mesh tops.
>>
>>2110145
Damn that's crazy. I hope she was finding good homes for all those babies.

I want to breed rats someday but I'm not ready yet.
>>
>>2106548
>bullshit thread-derailer pic got absolutely zero replies in over an hour
I love this board.
>>
>>2106548
>>2111684
hello rato :^)
>>
>>2110460
Chicken wire. Use cable ties to attach it to the cage.
>>
>>2094695
This makes me really sad. Three rats, all with separate cages..
>http://bellingham.craigslist.org/pet/5552813957.html
>>
>>2111716
Shit, I'd take one if they weren't halfway across the country.
>>
Anyone had success teaching rats to come to call? My new rat keeps running away and burying hiding, I'm tried to look for her every evening so I could sleep safe.
>>
Just lost my first rat yesterday. He was only a year and a half old. Didn't think it would hit me so hard but I cried all day. Had to stop myself from crying at work multiple times. Does this sinking feeling ever go away? Is there anything I can do to make it better? This is my first time losing anything that I've loved so I'm really hurting and have no idea what to do. What can I do to fill this void? Cleaned up his cage and moved it out of my room yesterday and now it feels so empty and lifeless in here. No amount of crying or letting out feelings helps. I miss him so much.
>>
>>2113212
Mine come when I make a little 'ch ch ch' sound, or call their name. I just make the sound /say names whenever I give them treats or take them out to play so they associate it with something good. When they hear the 'ch ch ch' they come running expecting treats.

>>2113997
Sorry anon, It hurts every time, I cope by buying more rats.
>>
>>2101300
>Yes, but males 'dripple' no matter what.

Don't females do that too?
>>
>>2114052
My girl fully pees on my shoulder every time she's up there, while bruxing
>>
>>2114052
One of my four girls has one it.

At what age do rats stop going into heat? My 3 y/o lady rat still does it. Just curious desu.
>>
>>2106548
I say Hello Ratto out loud though

speaking of rats
I feel so sad
I had them and I was deathly allergic
I went to hospital once after a bite (mistake, smelled food)
so I just lurk these threads forever
I miss my rats
>>
>>2106548
hello rato!
>>
>>2113997
Sorry for your loss, anon. Pretty much all you can do is get another pair of rats. (I'm hoping "another" applies here and you weren't keeping him alone) They have super short lifespans and I guess it just takes some adjusting to. I promise it'll get easier eventually, anon.
I had to put down my favorite rat last month, and though it wasn't as bad as I expected because I've come to terms with their lifespans, it was the closest I got to tears over an animal in like a year. The rat life is rough.
>>
My pet plants can eat your pets
>>
>>2110460
Hardware cloth, not chicken wire. I'm not even sure if that's what it's actually called, (it's just wire fence-ish stuff that looks like what you'd see on a martins cage, it's pretty easily found at Lowes or Home Depot) but it's less shitty and much more appealing visually than chicken wire. Plus, I can see young rats escaping chicken wire.
>>2110575
Rats shouldn't be kept in aquariums. There's simply not enough room or ventilation unless you want to pay 400 dollars for a tank half the size of what you could get in a cage for that price.

>>2113212
>give treat slightly after saying cue word/noise of your choice
>repeat until rat looks expectant when given cue (usually about 5-15 repeats)
>space out time between cue and treat a bit
>at this point, your rat should know cue=treat, so just start making the noise while your rat is a small distance away and increase distance and difficulty over time
If the rat doesn't come/respond accordingly at any step, you've gone too far and haven't proofed a previous step enough. Just take a step back and start from there. You can do this just by repeating it more times, or using more high-value treats. Try to avoid repeating the cue more than a few times if the rat doesn't respond. Limit the training sessions to 5-10 minutes at a time. They have short attention spans and they might get bored doing the same thing over and over and choose to ignore you, especially if you haven't really bonded with it yet.
>>
>>2107969
So cute!
>>
>>2106716
>>2106723
This anon here again.

I decided to give them a long break and do a lot of prep work before introducing them again. They haven't met each other again, but I've been swapping them between cages every day and they're always kept right alongside each other.

Meanwhile, little guy has been getting bigger, and since the intro process has been taking a while I wanted to upgrade his cage. He was being kept temporarily in just a small mouse cage measuring about one cubic foot with a little plastic platform. Didn't think it was fair to keep him in there if this process is going to end up taking weeks or months, or potentially not work at all. On Sunday he got upgraded to a big cage with multiple levels.

Since then his personality seems to have changed. He used to come eagerly to the cage door when he heard me and would romp around happily during playtime, but now he's quite hesitant to leave his hide box and skitters behind the toilet to hide a lot when free-roaming. When I have him on my bed he sticks on my shoulder or otherwise up against me. He just seems a lot more nervous and less happy. The only other change is that my cats have been in my room checking the rats out a lot more, but he doesn't seem fearful of them at all and will go up against the cage bars to sniff at them curiously when they get close. Would it be better to switch him back to a smaller cage, or is this to be expected considering he's being (unfortunately) raised as a lone rat?
>>
>>2107969
>>2107969
is that a naked mole rat?
>>
>>2116059
He's probably just a bit intimidated by his new home. He's used to living in a box, now suddenly he has all this open space and finds it scary. Try filling it up with lots of tubes/hidey places. Rats are curious, when he gets braver he'll want to go exploring.

It might just be because he's alone though, when one of my girls died the other spent nearly all her time in her hut until we got her a new friend. Hopefully he'll pick up soon.

(also, reminds me when I had a guinea pig and we upgraded his hutch to a massive new one with separate rooms. He just froze in the doorway and refused to move, lol)
>>
>>2116625
She's my qt Delilah, and I sing Hello Delilah to her every time I see her.
>>
>>2116662
Yeah, he seems to be doing better now. Thanks.

I introduced them twice more over the course of the past 2 days. Yesterday they scuffled a bit at the beginning but were doing excellent after about half an hour, best they've ever done. Today I tried again, following the exact procedure I used last night, and all that progress crashed and fucking burned. Young rat is in utter terror of old rat and starts boxing/hissing the second he gets close. Whenever he could, he'd flee to climb up to my shoulder and sit there quivering and breathing hard. Old rat drew blood twice on the tail today.

So, I'm done. I might try once more when young rat is fully-grown, but realistically speaking old rat will probably be dead by that point, so I guess that's that. From now on I'm only adopting either adults that are already pair-bonded or lone males that will remain alone.

Thanks for the input over the past few weeks.
>>
How much sneezing is normal in rats? How do I know when I need to go to the vet?
>>
>>2117052
Is red stuff coming out of their nose? Rats do sneeze occasionally, but if it's constant, they probably need the vet. Sometimes rats sneeze if they're nervous or just got moved to a new cage.
>>
Please help. My ~2-year-old male rat has been suddenly sick since about 1 AM last night. He seems confused, won't eat or (to my knowledge) drink, his body is cool and weak, he's breathing heavily and has porphyrin around his eyes. I'm currently calling around trying to find a vet that will take him but does anyone have any idea what's wrong?
>>
>>2118589
Shit anon. Is he flopping about/unsteady on his feet? If so he might have had a stroke.
>>
>>2118654
Yeah, he was... I had an appointment for him at 2:30 but he passed away right before I was about to bundle him up and leave. I guess if that was the case, there wasn't much that could've been done for him anyway... at least he didn't suffer long.

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.
>>
>>2118698
Condolences anon, that's heartbreaking :( it's horrible losing your little furbuddy, especially so suddenly like that.
>>
>>2118698
Sorry to hear anon :(

Strokes aren't necessarily fatal, one of my rats had a bad one and still lived for several months (though she was permanently wonky afterwards). I guess though it was just time for your little guy. Sending hugs your way anon.
>>
>>2100254
helloRato
>>
>>2102382
Please please tell us more
>>
File: white tailed rat.jpg (284 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
white tailed rat.jpg
284 KB, 1000x667
I just spotted a family of giant white tailed rats in my backyard in far north Brisbane; way outside of their natural habitat of north queensland rainforests
At first I thought I was looking at a family of possums until I realized the 'babies' (which were the size of a normal rat) are way too independent of the parents and got a better look at their faces

Picture isn't mine but is definitely the same species
>>
>>2106548

hello rato!
>>
So... is it truly cruel to raise a rat alone? Especially a young one?
>>
>>2123278
In almost all cases, yes,
>>
>>2123278
Yeah, they're highly social and not meant to be on their own. You're throwing a social animal in permanent solitary confinement, and that's cruel. That's why we use it as a punishment for people, it gets to you mentally after a while.
It's not like it's really any harder or more expensive to keep two rats compared to one anyway.
>>
>>2123278
It might not seem cruel when you only have one, the rat is seemingly okay, eating and sleeping etc. It's once you get a pair or more you realize how cruel it is to keep one alone. When you see them curl up in a hammock together to sleep, wrestling and chasing each other around, grooming and cleaning. They spend all day and night doing these social activities.

If kept alone, a rat will often pick up excessive sleeping and self-barbering - they become legit depressed.

A human owner can be a good friend, but it can never substitute for a member of their own species who is there 24/7 for them.
>>
>>2117052

What are you using for substrate?
>>
Eat newbie here, I've been considering one since I want another small animal but I always see a lot of people having issues/going to the vet a lot. Are they very sickly? I just wanted to try out having two or three and see if they're my type of pet but I don't want something that's always having issues. I hope that doesn't sound harsh, obviously I don't mind taking my pets to a vet but it's just that everyone I've seen with rats has to take them so often and they always seem to have issues.
>>
>>2123456
>are they very sickly?
Kind of hard to answer. Some are, most aren't.. You can get lucky and buy a rat who will never need a vet, or you can be unlucky and end up with one who has severe respiratory problems or cancer. Out of the 8 males I've had over a period of 5 years, 3 has needed to be taken to the vet once respectively (respiratory problems and a stroke) A rat can seem fine one day, then deadly sick the next, and taking them to the vet ain't cheap just because they're small and don't live very long.
>>
>>2105297
>100l
>big
choose one
>>
Oops I meant Rat, thanks autocorrect

>>2123463
Ah. Does going through a "good" breeder help with those chances? I just couldn't afford having to take something to the vet super often, as in how often my friends have had to take theirs. One had an expensive surgery and died two days later too, it was awful.
>>
>>2123511
Any breeder that breeds for health and genetics (aka not one that breeds feeders) is totally worth seeking out. Pet store fancy rats are often just feeder rats that happened to have pretty patterns.

You still can't guarantee anything though. If you're really worried, you can do at home C02 euthanasia fairly cheaply if the animal is suffering and you don't have vet money.

Although if you do buy from a breeder, and you have health issues, tell your breeder. Rats don't live long to wait for genetic issues to appear sometimes and they may legitimately not know their lines have issues.
>>
>>2123551
>you can do at home C02 euthanasia fairly cheaply if the animal is suffering and you don't have vet money.

How humane is this? One of my rats died a few months ago in the middle of the night, so we couldn't take her to a vets. She wasn't suffering (she'd slipped into a coma and was completely unresponsive), but at the time I honestly wished I knew how to snap her neck to give her a quick, painless death.

I'm genuinely worried about euthanasia when the time comes. For rats the options are gassing or injection into the heart. Problem is, with gas they're alone in a box, and for the injection, even though they're with you, the vet warned it can cause them pain because it's such a small target. I'm just wondering what other options they are if they don't pass naturally.
>>
>>2124296
>How humane is this?
Not the anon you're replying to, but I wouldn't risk it. A lot of things can go wrong if you don't know what you're doing/not a vet. The animal might not pass out completely, and instead dies slowly while suffocating in panic.

The simplest and quickest way of ending a small rodent's life is by breaking its neck or crushing its skull, which is really hard to do to your own pet, so I get why people resort to the C02 method. But just because it's less ghastly to look at doesn't make it more 'humane'.
>>
>>2094695
back when i was a kid my parents bought me a couple rats and i thought that throwing them high and catching them was fun because the rat got really stiff when i caught it
mom told me ten years later that they had to replace the rats every week because i kept killing them
>>
>>2124583
DELETE THIS
>>
>>2124596
What kind of fucked up parents lets their kid continually kill their pets?
>>
>>2124602
beats me, i was too little and they didnt want me to know what i was doing.
On the good side i was nice to them until i killed them an they where raised as feed to other animals.
I remember using my snack money to buy them seeds
Once we took my dog to the beach and he scaped ad was found 4 hours later, im still skeptical if it was the same dog
>>
File: 47 Angry.jpg (175 KB, 870x846) Image search: [Google]
47 Angry.jpg
175 KB, 870x846
>>2124583

S T O P
>>
One of my rats caused me to wake up last night from loud hiccuping and I believe it was sneezing. No discharge was found in her eyes or nose. She only did this for 30-45 minutes from 3:20-4:15. She is now proceeding as normal and earlier I heard no sounds coming from her until now. I gave her a bit of water from a bottle cap and she proceeded to have trouble breathing but it settled now and she is completely silent. Its mostly my fault for receiving her from a pet store, however it is my first time owning Rats and I made the mistake of not finding a breeder. I have three Rat sisters with newly cleaned bedding and washed clothes. They are litter trained and I had her for thirteen days and the 14 day return fee expires tomorrow. Contemplating whether or not I'm returning her or if I should return them all. Not making any vet visits for an animal that costs five dollars.
>>
>>2124748
If you're not willing to take any pets to the vet, don't buy a fucking animal then. Get a pot plant.
>>
>>2124944
K don't bother to go to the doctor unless I'm in so much pain I can't get out of bed, why should I treat an animal better than I treat myself?
>>
>>2124987
Because the animal is your responsibility anon. It can't go to the vet itself. It's your duty and responsibility to care for it, and that includes giving it medical attention when required.

Just take them back to the shop then anon, so they can find a less shitty owner.
>>
>>2124748
>Not making any vet visits for an animal that costs five dollars.
That shouldn't matter if you love your pet man... I often have people tell me 'Why pay the vet all that money for such a small animal?? They only live for a few years anon! They're dirt cheap! It's just a rat!' well fuck you, to me it ain't just any rat, it's my friend. And if my friend is sick, I'm not just going to kill them because it's more convenient than getting them medical care.

It's your choice of course, but I don't get why anyone bothers to buy an animal if they don't want to actually care for it.
>>
File: 1436827645549.jpg (171 KB, 698x393) Image search: [Google]
1436827645549.jpg
171 KB, 698x393
>>2124296
NEVER euthanize via injection to the heart unless the rat is anesthetized.

IP injections are the best way to go. They inject euthanasia solution into the body cavity (not organs, which would be painful) and it gradually absorbs over the course of, oh, maybe 5-15 minutes. The rat will act like it's slowly going to sleep as its body shuts down, and you can cuddle and talk to them in the meantime. Nice and peaceful.
>>
>>2125966
Are there IP injections for sale to the public? Cause vets often charge stupid fees for a rat euthanasia
>>
>>2124296

When we had to put down my gf's rat (I cried like a fucking bitch even though it wasn't mine), we took it to a vet and they gave him some anesthesia in a box. Took quite a while but once he was sleepy we took him out and cuddled him while the vet injected him. It was like >>2125966 described. He kinda just slowly faded away.

Fuck, I'm sad now
>>
>>2124987
Because that's your choice.
If your parents didn't take you to the doctor unless you are in that much pain, that'd be child abuse because they are responsible for you.
You're responsible for your pets.
>>
>>2125966
It's how my rats were each put down. They just kind of get sleepy..... I miss my girls. Eventually I went from three to one and I couldn't get another as I was leaving for school in a few months. The one that was left alive stayed with me constantly. If I went to the store, she went in my jacket, if I was sleeping, her cage was right beside my bed. If I was at work, she was in her cage by my desk. You could see she missed the others, but she did better when she stayed with me as opposed to when I left her alone. Damn I really want rats again. They're the sweetest.
>>
>>2125979
IP stands for intraperitoneal, which refers to the site of the injection (peritoneum = abdominal lining), not the chemical. I believe all euthanasia solutions are controlled drugs.

Try your local humane society? Mine does rat euths for $10.
>>
I just got a new rat, maybe ~5 weeks old. At the breeder's he was very friendly and bold, the first to come to my hand when I put it in the cage. I picked him up and after a little exploratory squirming he settled down and bruxed in my arms. Since he got here yesterday, he's mostly been hiding in the corner box in his cage. He will take food from me, and I can put my fingers in the cage to touch him, but he pulls away and sniffs at my fingers like he's wary and confused.

Is it normal for rats to shut down like this? I've had several rats before but none of them were this spooked for this long. After a day or two they were waiting at the front of the cage for good and attention. The breeder is the most reputable one I could find so he shouldn't be sick, and there's no polyphrin discharge anyway.
>>
>>2126527
Is he alone? If so, get him a friend asap.
Seems fairly normal though, in my experience it takes a few days to a week for the rat to settle down depending on how skittish it is.
>>
>>2126014
They didn't tho, that's the way I was taught to care for others
>>
>>2126580
Then they abused you. If your kid is in pain, you do something about it then and there, not wait until he can't get out of bed with the pain.
>>
>>2126564
He's alone right now, but I got him to be bros with my young rex rat. I'm keeping them apart for at least 3 days to make sure he doesn't have anything, but I'm not particularly worried about diseases since he came from a nice breeder and not some pet shop. I saw her whole outfit and all her rats were clean and perky, not a sniffle to be heard.

Would it help to put them together sooner rather than later? Keeping in mind that my rex is about twice his age and half again his size, and was really bullied by my previous rat. I'm not keen on rushing the introduction process since I don't know how he'll react and don't know what I'll do if they don't get along.
>>
File: 1454975978453.jpg (71 KB, 520x678) Image search: [Google]
1454975978453.jpg
71 KB, 520x678
>>2126580
>my parents didn't bother taking me to the doctor unless I was dying so it's okay to neglect my pets if they're sick

Seriously though anon, unlike the average human, a seemingly healthy rat can die within a day or two if they catch something and it isn't treated.
>>
>>2126612
Probably better not to rush the introduction. Just be patient. I wouldn't start worrying about the skittish behavior unless it sticks for more than a month.
>>
>>2126622
Okay, cool. Thanks for the input.
>>
>>2126618
This. They're prey animals, so they evolved to hide their sicknesses as long as possible since predators pick out the weak and sick. If they're sick enough you can tell, then they're really sick and need help ASAP.
>>
Sup guys

So i got two male rats, how the fuck do I stop them from fighting? Ive been trying to introduce them (in a neutral area of course) and they generally just ignore each other, but everyone once in a while the bigger one attacks the smaller one. I know that rats are supposed to play and fight for dominance, but the smaller one doesnt even look interested in either he just runs in fear and shits himself while the other one attacks him. They havent bled yet, but the bigger one is pulling hair out of the smaller one and biting im really fucking hard (i know because he bit when i stuck my hand in to break them up).

I dont know, it just doesnt really seem like playing or anything, it seems lime the larger one is just being really aggressive.
>>
>>2126628
Yeah. You can't compare humans and rodents in terms of health and when they need medical attention. They are masters at concealing pain or illness. I had a guinea pig who'd walked around with a huge tooth abscess for weeks without any notable change in his behavior or eating habits, even though it must obviously have hurt like hell.
>>
File: can-i-borrow-a-feel_fb_957245.jpg (28 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
can-i-borrow-a-feel_fb_957245.jpg
28 KB, 300x300
>>2124296
Dammit, it cried harder when my pet rat died than when my own granny died.
To be fair, I was 12 when the rat dies, and 18 when Nanny died
>>
>>2126634
Not really much to do but keep trying anon, sorry. Sometimes two rats just refuse to be friends, and the only way to stop the fighting is to neuter the aggressor or keep them separated, it's rare, but it happens.

Is the smaller one also younger? He might be less afraid later if he grows. In some cases changing up their group dynamic by adding one more rat can also sort things out, but it's kind of risky...
>>
File: 3bb.jpg (83 KB, 540x619) Image search: [Google]
3bb.jpg
83 KB, 540x619
>>2122367
Fuck wild rats.
>>
>>2126634
Separate them, or chop their balls off,
>>
>>2122367
Cute.
>>
Gonna introduce my two young male rats for the first time tomorrow. What's the most foolproof way to go about it and what should I expect?
>>
>>2129359
Do it in a neutral spot. They will likely fight at first to establish dominance. You can try and mask their individual smells with vanilla essence and put yogurt on their fur(they might start to groom each other to lick it off). Give them lost of treats and step in if things get too violent.
>>
>>2129837
How do you know when they're ready to be in the same cage? I did 2 intros, one yesterday and one today... yesterday they bickered a little (no blood) but today they were together for an hour with no real issues.

I'm going away for 4 days starting tomorrow afternoon and I'm worried about them. If I put them together, I'll be worried that they're fighting when I'm not around to separate them and will come home to an injured/dead rat, and if I don't I'll feel bad because they'll be mostly alone during that time.
>>
>>2130948

Simple.
Buy a third younger rat and let them murder and feast on its corpse while you're gone.
Jesus, you're a pussy.
>>
>>2130982
Ah, it seems the edgy "your cat won't _____ anymore if it's dead" trolls are broadening their horizons.
>>
does rats poop all over you?

i had mice once but they would always poop everywhere and on me
>>
>>2130948
Sounds like 'introducing' them in the cage is the next logical step. Are they grooming each other?

I wouldn't risk leaving them without any supervision in the cage without being 100% sure they've made friends. Place their individual cages next to each other so they can still interact a bit while you're gone maybe?

>>2131043
Rats are very easy to toilet train, they prefer to poop in their cage or in 'designated shitting corners'. In the start they might poop when you pick them up cause they're scared, otherwise no, it's very rare. They're good at holding it in.

They do leave small drops of pee though.
>>
>>2131043
My rats poops on me if I hold them for too long. I assume they just can't hold it anymore.
>>
I noticed one of my rats limping on his left hind leg today, I think he must have fallen and bruised it. He can still put weight on it and he doesn't mind when I feel around the area. Am I correct to assume it's just a strained muscle?
>>
>>2094695
What a beautiful baby.
>>
>>2103818
Cute little egglord.
>>
>>2118698
I'm so sorry for your loss. Glad you could be with him in his last hours.
>>
File: IMG_20160528_220414.jpg (233 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160528_220414.jpg
233 KB, 1600x1200
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but well. There was this rat at home, a common rat, my mom poisoned it and now is probably dead, the thing is that I found a little baby rat next to the oven, I belive the mother is one my mom killed, so what should I do? Can I keep it as a pet? Or this kind of rats are not good pets?

By the way I have a dog so if it's ok to keep it, what kind of cautions I should take?
>>
>>2132927
Common rats can be tamed, but they are significantly different in behavior from the ones you buy in a pet store. They're 'wilder', more aggressive and likely to bite. I don't know if I would recommend you keep it, it will get lonely/depressed without other rats and you have no idea if the mother had any diseases. Wild rats usually only for about a year.
>>
>>2132999
>Usually only LIVE for about a year
Fix'd.
>>
Why does everyone hate my rat
>>
>>2132999
I see, thank you anon, I'll search for a way to get rid of it then. In a harmless way, I don't like the idea of killing it.
>>
>>2094695
>this thread is almost two months old
>>
>>2132841
Possibly, this happened to one of my rats. Sometimes they just land funny when they're bouncing about the cage.

Keep an eye on him, if it's a strain he should be better within a week.
>>
>>2132927
>>2132999
>>2133012
It looks really young, like not even two weeks old, I'm not even sure it can eat solid food yet... If you did manage to feed it (big if because it might be too scared and alone to want to be fed) I don't think it would have a wild and nasty behavior since it's really young. It could get used to you and make for a great pet, smarter and less fragile than a pet store rat. Then again, it's probably going to die from cold and hunger because it's really young. Are you sure it was alone? It could be the runt of the litter that the mom moved away from the nest, I've had baby rats three months ago and at that age they don't get far from the nest at all since their eyes aren't opened yet
>>
>>2133094
If it can't eat solid food, make some porridge from soy milk, sprinkled with a little sugar. I feed it to old rats that can't chew their food anymore. Works a treat.
>>
>>2133094
>not even sure it can eat solid food yet.
What I'm thinking looking at the picture too. If it hasn't already died, I think anon should kill it painlessly.
>>
File: IMG_20160529_140928.jpg (273 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160529_140928.jpg
273 KB, 1600x1200
>>2133094
>>2133410
>>2133450
They still haven't opened their eyes and this morning I found another one in the kitchen, tried to find the nest and failed, I have an idea on were can be but is out of reach.

Now there are two of them and my mom isn't really happy about it, she wants me to get rid of them. So kill them will be the option, thing that I didn't want to do.
Anyway, thanks for your help anons.
>>
>>2133475
I wish I was close enough to take them in. I've raised ratbros in the distant past and had been thinking of adopting a new one lately.
>>
>>2133475
That's sad anon :(

But at least it'll be better for them to die quickly than of starvation and cold. They probably wouldn't have been able to survive for long.
>>
>>2133475
Your mother is a fucking bitch anon. It doesn't matter that they're wild rats, they're still small, helpless, baby animals unable to fend for themselves. It only takes a few weeks before they're strong enough to fend for themselves.

Don't be a pussy anon, stand your ground and demand to look after them until they can be released. Otherwise, tell that bitch to kill them herself if she hates them that much.
>>
>Want to get two more rats
>Check all rescues within a wide radius
>No rats
>Check all breeders within a wide radius
>Either no rats or all babies are reserved for their breeder friends
>Get put on waiting list
>Never get any call backs
>mfw

I'm trying to be responsible but holy shit, how hard is it to get some fucking rats.

Spoke to my local pet shop about where they source their rats, apparently they get their pet rats from someone who breeds for health, and their frozen rats from a feeder breeder. Might just have to pick some up from there. It's not ideal, but if the breeders aren't selling and the rescues have nothing I haven't got a choice.
>>
>>2134003
Pet store rats can be just as good though, if they've been treated well and come from a decent breeder. Different sources for the pet and feeder rats is a good sign.

But yeah it's retarded how 'unpopular' rats are compared to guinea pigs and hamsters, they're much better suited for kids than other pet rodents imo.
>>
>>2133879
I wouldn't call anon's mom a bitch for wanting to off them. She poisoned the mother because it was a house pest, nursing the babies to release them later is just releasing two more pests.
>>
I'm getting two little lads tonight. Really excited
>>
>>2134639
Post pics when you get them anon!
>>
File: IMG_20160601_100310.jpg (235 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160601_100310.jpg
235 KB, 960x1280
>>2135065
This is Sir Christopher Lee. His little brother Ian McKellen is very shy and I'm waiting for him to come out from his spot on his own accord so I'll take a photo of him when that happens. I'll see how he is after work.

Little Chris seems to be the most confident and friendly guy ever.

I'm going to email the breeder and see if there are any more of his brothers left. More possible names are Ben Kingsley and Patrick Stewart.
>>
>>2106548
hello rato!
>>
Odd question for ratfriends out there. Is there like, any weirdness between you guys and people who keep snakes generally? Knowing whst they tend to eat and all, i mean. I just wondered if theres any built in kind of animosity.

-snek friend who thinks ratos are qts but does what must be done
>>
>>2135592
Not unless they live feed, which is shitty for both the rato and the snek.
>>
>>2135592
This is something I've thought of. I have 2 pet rats, and I'd really like to have a snake.

I understand that snakes eat mice/rats, and I would be ok feeding them to a snake. It's nature.

When you decide to house nature, you have to put your emotions aside because the snake didn't ask to be kept by someone who won't give it the right food.

That being said, I probably wouldn't be able to raise my own feeders. I think I would get attached.
>>
What is the best way to shorten a rats claws? I am so scared to clip them because my girls don't like to be still. I'm even scared of clipping my dog's nails and he sits still (use a grinder on him).

I've seen big "lava ledges" that you can attach to the cage. Will climbing on that help keep their nails "grinder down"? If not, is there something I can get for them to climb on that won't hurt their feet, but will dull the claws?
>>
File: image.jpg (344 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
344 KB, 1080x1920
Hey these are my two rats both female new from a petshop,
Iv been handling them few times a day getting them use to me and my dog.
They seem happy to come run around and explore when people are over and I would like to teach them a couple tricks, what should I start with??
And what are some rat care secrets a first time owener should know .
>>
>>2135592
Not really. I'm willing to hazard most of us will kill a rat if it invades and damages our house.

Besides, small snakes don't make it past mouse stage. And nobody cares about mice.
>>
What's the best way to, tame an older rat, she's shy doesn't like to come to me and bits sometime when attempted to be picked up ?
>>
>>2135592
I dont think there is weirdness I love both rats and snakes. I have a rat and house mate has a pet snake, there's a huge difference between pet rats and feeder ones.
>>
>>2138076
Patience is key. Offer treats. Hold onto the treat a few seconds so the rat has to stay by your hand to get reward. When it's comfortable with that, try to pet it on the side with a finger. Once she's comfy with that, try picking her up in her cage and setting her back down. This gets her used to being picked up in a "safe zone".

The goal is for the rat to be still and comfortable when you pick her up.

This took about 2 weeks for my shy one (the other is super adventurous so only a few days with her).

Also, dab yogurt on your finger and offer it. This will also keep her close to your hand while she licks it off.
>>
File: IMG_20160531_221718668.jpg (1003 KB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160531_221718668.jpg
1003 KB, 2592x1456
Aspen, care fresh, clean and cozy, and yesterday's news all irritated my rats. I'm using old towels in their cage now and I find I actually prefer it. I should have done this in the first place.

Here's a pic of Rose.
>>
>>2138267
She's beautiful.

I wish this thread was more active. I'm a new rat owner and reading through this general for the first time, it's easily the cutest place on this board.

I want ratbro friends.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1 MB, 628x1096) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1 MB, 628x1096
>>2138267
>>
>>2102382
How are possums ? Are they as intelligent as rats ?
>>
>>2139087
Didn't even see the other rat in the background haha. Too cute
>>
File: KEEM.png (229 KB, 396x448) Image search: [Google]
KEEM.png
229 KB, 396x448
>>
How do you ratfags do it? Don't you get really attached to them only for them to die a couple of years, and you need to have at least two rats if you're going to have them so when one dies you have to replace it, resulting in an endless cycle of ratty heartbreak?
>>
>>2139647
It sucks, but you come to terms with it. It's quality over quantity, you just gotta make every moment count. After all, a lot of rats have a short and shit life, yours is one of the lucky ones just for having someone to love them at all.
>>
My rats are extremely friendly with people. I'm able to walk to the cafe down the road with my little bros on my shoulder, sit them down and they'll approach anyone that comes to my table. Anyone else have this? I sit inside away from the dogs, they are completely safe and everything.
>>
>>2139652
This.

For me, it's a sense of making a creature's life better while it is here. I just got a couple a month ago (had rats when I was younger) so I haven't had to experience yet, but I accept that it's a part of having rats.
>>
File: 1418704392820.jpg (8 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1418704392820.jpg
8 KB, 500x281
>Affectionate, Intelligent, Playful, Easy and cheap to take care of
>In an alternate universe, Rats are man's best friend instead of dogs
>We could've had ratties twice their current size that live up to 15+ years by now
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGzFkCaydKc
>>
>>2141282
>>We could've had ratties twice their current size that live up to 15+ years by now
Could this actually be possible?
>>
File: 1385402720766.jpg (265 KB, 772x944) Image search: [Google]
1385402720766.jpg
265 KB, 772x944
>>2141282
In After Man by Dougal Dixon (set millions of years after humanity has become extinct) rats have evolved to fill the canid niche.
>>
>>2141308
Won't be happening in our lifetime, that's for sure.
>>
>>2141282
I want this to be a thing so bad. Then they can't get lost in my furniture.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
Bumping with pics of my ratties.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3024x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3024x3024
The alpha rat.
>>
>>2141820
Is it just me, or are hooded rats always the alpha?
>>
>>2141939
Actually, white one is hooded as well. It's VERY faint, and I didn't even notice it when I got her.

Really, you can only tell in certain lighting. I'll try to get a better pic of her when I let them out for afternoon play.

However, I do notice that a hooded is usually alpha. I work at PetSmart, and every time the current "alpha" gets sold, the next one to step up is usually hooded.
>>
>>2141939
Hmm never really thought about this. But all of my hooded ones have also coincidentally been bigger than their cagemates, two of them massive(and very musky) which naturally made them 'alphas'.

I got two hooded ones living together now and they're equally dominating each other, neither one of them is the default 'submissive'.
>>
Hi there ratgen.

I haven't had any in over a decade, but I constantly find myself daydreaming about keeping them again. That short lifespan is brutal though, and having to bear the death of four beloved pets has kept me from working seriously toward adopting any more.

Help, how do I convince myself that the joys of rat ownership are worth the heartbreak just long enough to take the leap and procure a pair of pocket puppies?
>>
>>2142569
From this thread.

Tl;dr gf's rat is living inside my kitchen wall. I can hear it running around and i'm sick of it but she won't let me put out rat poison. Help me out here. Tried luring it out with milk, didn't work.
>>
>>2143843
You're a dipshit.
>>
>>2143843
Get a humane trap. They're like little boxes where the rat can get in but not out (if you're feeling creative you can build your own out of a big plastic bottle and a block of wood). Easier and less messy than a trap/poison that kills the rat.

(also, don't bother with lethal traps, they rarely work because rats are smart enough to set it off and eat the bait. You're just giving them a free meal)

Rats love to eat, but they're very cautious about new food (they can't vomit, so if they eat bad food they're fucked). Bait the humane trap with chocolate spread, but spread some about first, so the rat will have the chance to eat the food first and realise it's safe.

Also, your gf really should have taught her rat to come when called. It took mine 2 days to associate the rattle of the treat bag with food and they come running over.
>>
File: IMG_20160612_210439024.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160612_210439024.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
Rose enjoying some sweet potato
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 53

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.