[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anybody here adopted from a shelter that makes you fill out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: sideways kitty.jpg (53 KB, 293x600) Image search: [Google]
sideways kitty.jpg
53 KB, 293x600
Has anybody here adopted from a shelter that makes you fill out a questionnare or anal-rapingly nosy application form? Particularly a cat? I would like to adopt a fluffy baby but some of these forms I've seen online are just downright ridiculous and a few minutes of internet research tells me that shelters don't give out their animals nearly as generously as they used to.

How do I avoid having my application go intothetrash.jpg?
>>
Don't look like a crazy cat collector? Man I dunno.
>>
By actually have an adequate home for a cat prepared/knowing your basics before you adopt it.
>>
>>2087722
>oh no they want to make sure I can take care of a cat before I get one!
It's almost like they don't want animals going to shit homes and being returned in a week or two. Hmm.
>>
>>2087733
>"I really want this job, how do I ace the interview?"
>"By being qualified for the job/being a good worker, of course! :^)"
>>
>>2087757
Yes, that is generally how you get a job. What's your point? Just do your research and have your shit all laid out beforehand.
>>
>>2087747
Did I hit a nerve there, buddy?
>>
>>2087759
I think his point is that that's kind of a vague answer. It's pretty much what >>2087747 said; they're more stringent than they used to be and I think that's s good thing. As long as your application doesn't say "need a friend for my seven dogs :)" you should be good, OP.
>>
Where do you guys even find these shelters? I've adopted a bunch of animals and have never once had it be anything past "walk in, give them money, and leave."

They didn't even question me when i got an anaconda from the local shelter.
>>
>>2087767
My sister got her dog from the ASPCA and they had her go through a whole interview, pay a chunk of cash, had to check out her apartment and everything before they let her have the dog. I'm not sure if they actually went to her apartment or whatever, but she did mention that they wouldn't let her have the golden retriever she originally had her eye on because the place was too small. They then let her adopt a midsized lab-mix while she was a broke college student living in an apartment, though, so their standards couldn't have been that high.
>>
I always take complaints like this with a grain of salt, since the people who get butthurt over them usually are that way due to being riddled with the red flags of being a shitty owner

if questions on the application like "how long would the animal be alone daily" or "what other animals do you have in your household" are considered invasive to you, you're being very over sensitive

that being said, shelters who do home visits and shit are crazy. ours has only done that once, and it was for a very unusual circumstance because of medical and behavioral issues the individual dog had
>>
>>2087747
>It's almost like they don't want animals going to shit homes and being returned in a week or two. Hmm.

It's like they want people to say fuck it and go to home breeders.

there. FTFY
>>
>>2087806
strangely enough the people most qualified to keep pets are also among those least likely to adopt from a shelter.

The people buying expensive pure-breeds aren't usually broke-ass apartment-dwellers who snort drugs and hang out on 4chan all day. I know, it's weird.

That said, I refuse to adopt from anyone that wants to inspect my home. It's 1500 square feet, it's worth more than they'll make in a decade, and it's mine. Good enough. I don't ask to see their tie-dye decorated, piss-stained trailer before I adopt from them.
>>
Nah. I'm from a country where you can just roll up and pick up a cat from a shelter, no questions asked. All you gotta do is pay the fee.

Dogs, however. There are so many hoops for dogs you might as well not bother. Like, I genuinely looked at adopting a dog, but fuck that.
>>
>>2087826
>strangely enough the people most qualified to keep pets are also among those least likely to adopt from a shelter.
source
>>
>>2087822
the people who do this are the same people who would return the dog in a week

our shelter used to have an "open adoption" policy, that we had to adopt out an animal to anyone with essentially no questions asked and were almost never allowed to deny anyone. then we also had almost half of our animals returned and it was a giant fucking mess. the change in policy has resulted in very very very few animals returned

I can easily say that the biggest reason people "give up" and go to breeders is that they want the purebred meme dog and are butthurt when they aren't the one who get them, which is inevitable when there's 10 people after 1 dog
>>
>filling out a form for an animal you can grab right off the street
>>
>>2087967
>implying an animal grabbed off the street will be fully vetted and behaviorally assessed
ffs
>>
>>2087957

Thats insane that your shelter tried that and thought it wouldn't be an issue, but is good they saw their mistake.

I just adopted a dog with a long questionaire, and it didn't bother me. I don't feel like it asked any questions that were out of line. Every questionaire I've seen has questions to try to weed out bad owners or unqualified owners, but nothing else. OP, what are they asking you that you feel is too much?

Having worked in domestic adoptions, I can assure you that a lot of people are terrible and these questions are necessary. I'm sure you think "Oh, people will just lie", but a lot of people are just too stupid to lie. The stupidest one I remember is the person who tried to adopt a kitten, with the intention of giving it to a shelter in 3-5 years when her senior cat dies. That woman really bothered me.
>>
>>2087956
Not the original poster but the source is the general nature of people.

People are shit, lazy, and shitty people. The small minority of people are not shit.

Think of people who get viruses on their computer. They just let it fucking go for months before getting it fixed. Or wait until their credit card gets fucked before getting it looked at.

Or if they break their phone screen. They don't do shit about it until the glass literally shatters and pops of the screen due to the heat from the phone and previous damage.

Someone buys a house and then cries to their realtor because they don't know how to budget and can't afford to fix it up and have to foreclose. Sounds a lot like the "can't afford to go to vet", right?

Work in any job that deals with people a lot and you'll start to learn this. If something is slightly difficult like filling out a form, it'll deter some of these shitlords.
>>
>>2087979
My cats were all raised from kittens I or my roommates picked up and carried home. Only one in four was mental.
>>
>>2088058
then you had to pay for vaccines, spay/neuter, microchipping, and all other expenses out of pocket. and not everyone wants a kitten
>>
>>2088074
>then you had to pay for vaccines, spay/neuter

It costs the same as adoption fees, but nobody demands to see your house before doing it.

>not everyone wants a kitten

This is a fair point.
>>
>>2088107
>It costs the same as adoption fees
this is heavily dependent where you live, and usually no

I helped a friend fix up a kitten she found and here's about how much it all cost

>spay at low cost clinic
$65
>microchip
$25
>dewormer (because almost every kitten does have worms) and flea control
$15
>FIV/Leukemia Combo Test (should be done on all kittens of unknown origin)
$50
>first round of vaccines
$25
>total: $175

>adoption fee at kitten at the shelter who has had all of this done
$100

but ok

>but nobody demands to see your house before doing it
>implying home visits are actually a norm in shelters
you're heavily exaggerating
>>
File: irl nyan cat.jpg (59 KB, 600x329) Image search: [Google]
irl nyan cat.jpg
59 KB, 600x329
>>2087765
Ok, that's somewhat helpful, thanks.

>>2087767
>>2087806
>>2087987
I believe this was the one that particularly pissed me off:
>http://www.ora-animalsrescue.org/catadoption.html

They ask for references. I mean, really? I'm not applying for a fucking job here.
And the one about children. I don't have kids, but if I did, yes, I'd be offended. Yeah yeah, I know. Kids can be little shits. Obviously, though, not all of them are, and it's downright ridiculous to assume that a pet is going to be abused just because it's going to a house with children in it. Show of hands, how many of you grew up with pets?

This is the one that I filled out--
>http://abbeycats.org/adoption-application.html
--and no one called me back. I don't know what they didn't like about my application but I guess it was something. I put $20K-$40K for my income. Was it that? I dunno. If you guys wanna see all my responses lemme know and I'll post them.
The thing is, I was filling it out on mobile, and my browser was acting funny so it was unclear whether or not it went through when I hit "submit". I called them when I got home and left a message stating this and then followed their message template (indicate the cat you're interested in and your previous pet history). Still, nothing.

For the record, I'm not claiming that everyone who works at a shelter is a dick or arguing that they shouldn't use questionnaires period. You gotta weed out the crackheads, right? It's just that places that are that strict with the application process are lumping perfectly capable candidates in with said crackheads and deadbeats, and that's just not fair.

Oh and I should mention, I actually don't know what the questionnaire of the shelter I'm planning to adopt from looks like. I'm going to drop by next week though so we'll see.
>>
>>2087757
If you can't get the animal by answering the questionnaire honestly in your own words, then you would make a shitty owner and they are right to deny you ownership. I doubt filling out a sheet of paper for a cat from a fucking shelter is anywhere near as convoluted as filling out an application for a job with hundreds of applicants.
>>
>>2087722
The shelter I work at has a short one that requires photo ID in case you do something illegal here. But it also asks about what you want in an animal (sex, size, coat length, activity level, species), phone number, address, e-mail address (not required), and how many children live in your household. However, we do what is called an 'open adoption' where we don't shun someone if they don't have a yard, or live in an apartment. We talk about what they want in an animal, their situation, and try to fit an animal with them. But you CAN say shit that will make me not adopt to you. Today, I had a fella say he was actually broke; he didn't tell me this until I mentioned that although the cat was free, he would need $7 for a cardboard carrier, and he didn't have money for it. This was after explaining the cat had awful teeth that would need a clean up and extractions that could cost hundreds of dollars, and he has been homeless and broke for 12 years. Had another man come in that wanted a cat that could be an outdoor cat, but he lived on a boat in the river. Where the FUCK is that cat supposed to live outdoors? Is it meant to grow gills? These are real people that try to adopt.

That being said, from this post>>2088219 it seems those are both rescues. NOT shelters. The difference being, a rescue can refuse to take animals and can choose what animals it takes. A shelter can be a little picky, but in the end, is a service to people to surrender their animals. Rescues can afford to be picky. And all power to them, they can be as hardcore as they want since it's not hurting their stock. Shelters, on the other hand, sometimes have to kill animals, so they are less picky than this. I suggest you go to a pound or shelter, and not an animal rescue organization.
>>
>>2088236
pretty much all this

shelters are typically far less picky than rescues are

our shelter has an application for cats and an application for dogs. our dog one mainly has questions like

>number/age of children in household
>fenced yard or not
>other animals in the household
things like that. the only question that seems to upset people is asking how much they can dedicate to the animal per month. but honestly as long as it's enough to cover food, flea control, and the occasional need for new toys and such, it's not a bid deal. it's not even really about the amount they put, it's just so we know they're at least considering the fact that the animal they're adopting is going to be a long term cost. even $50 a month is fine, unless the dog has certain medical needs or something

>These are real people that try to adopt
I think my most surreal experience I've had was when I was taking an application for a GSD mix pup, and on the list of other animals on the household the guy put "leopard cub (soon)" and "crocodile"

turns out they were going to get the dog as a "playmate" for the cub they were getting in a few weeks from a "friend" who "breeds" them. I shit you not. they were dead serious. they showed us fucking pictures on their phone of the one they had reserved. and they had a 3 ft baby croc as a pet as well

I've never called animal control so fast
>>
Just go to an open adoption event. They really don't care that much and there won't be the stupid questionnaires, plus they're generally cheaper at the events. As long as you look capable they won't ask too many questions.
>>
>>2088219

Hey retard, the reason they ask about kids is a safety issue for your fucking kids.

Some of the dogs come from fucked up backgrounds and whilst they may pass behavioural tests, kids are loud and annoying and the dogs may not like them.
>>
>>2088410
How did they react to you calling animal control? We're they offended/surprised?
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.