[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My chinchilla is clearly not a domesticated animal. How can I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: 1451073911991.jpg (227 KB, 740x925) Image search: [Google]
1451073911991.jpg
227 KB, 740x925
My chinchilla is clearly not a domesticated animal. How can I set him free when he seeks to escape his cage (no matter how large) but he would doubtlessly die in the harsh Utahn climate? I mean, shit, is there like a chinchilla refuge?
Have some dickbutts
>>
You can't release non domestic animals like that in the first place.

Also, chinchillas are legitimate domestic animals. If he's freaking out in the cage constantly, you're keeping him wrong somehow.
>>
>>2076755
They need a lot of floor time (time outside of their cage, romping around in a chinchilla proof room or section off area) and they are extremely social animals and should have a chinchilla friend, or you could spend a ton of time with him and be his friend. They are not meant to stay in a cage 24/7
>>
>>2076757
It's not that. It's that I can first instinct is to flee. He hasn't been abused and he lives in a fucking mansion as far as cages go. I don't expect him to be other than what he is but he always seems like he'd run as far away as possible if he could.
>>
>>2076759
I always feel like his bathroom is too poor a simulacrum of the mountains of his ancestry. He gets out plenty but shit, isn't there anything else to his life? A horizon?
>>
>>2076764
>>2076766
Let me represent it fairly. He's not upset or anything. He'll dance all over us and the walls when he's comfortable. But sometimes I just wish he was as far away from human beings as possible.
>>
I'm also more used to other boards so I didn't come to 4chan for advice. We follow all the standard and approved and even secret inside message boards advice to making his incarceration as pleasant as possible.
He's as happy as any chinchilla owed by a human can be.
But like, seriously? Cookie cutter answers about how to make him a better pet? Shit guys, he shouldn't be a pet to begin with.
>>
>>2076781
Tell me more.
>>
>>2076775
Why did you fucking buy an animal then? Are you retarded?

He's a domestic, captive bred animal that was born in a captive environment. He doesn't pine for his mountain ranges just as you don't pine for your bix nood grasslands and holes in the dirt of yore.

Animals born in captivity have no desires other than a reliable source of food and water, social interaction, shelter and a mate. He would die if released in his native wilderness.
>>
>>2076775
Why did you take on a fucking pet that you didn't want to actually keep?
Kill yourself, so your chinchilla won't have to be so close to human beings
>>
>>2076785
>>2076786
Fuck you guys my gf had him when we started dating.
Good points about his expectations, though, first tagged guy.
Okay, so different topic:
should chinchillas have been caught as pets at all? Historically? Do you think those original captives we happy about the inexplicable aliens kidnapping them?
>>
>>2076788
Hey, yeah!
How the fuck do you know he doesn't want for more? And shit, am I supposed to go buy another girl chin for him to fuck? Hook my brotha up with some assigned poontang? I know if they didn't know one another from birth it's unlikely they'll socialize well, yeah?
>>
File: 3chinc_t658.jpg (77 KB, 658x358) Image search: [Google]
3chinc_t658.jpg
77 KB, 658x358
>>2076787
Chinchillas as pets is a byproduct of a 500 year old fur industry. I'm sure they weren't "happy" about being collected and killed, but they had an exploitable resource and people weren't as morally masturbatory, for better or worse, as they are now for the majority of those years. Whatever your feelings about the fur trade, they ended up as pets as well because they're cute and we like babby analogs. They have no choice. In the end, domesticated chinchillas may preserve the species in captivity when inevitably they go extinct in the wild because of humans, so there's a plus for you.

>>2076788
In a zoology and animal behavior class. No one can know what an animal actually thinks, but that's pedantic bullshit and inference is a strong enough tool to get a good idea of what they think.

>>2076793
He wants you to play with him, that's for sure. Animals externalize shit pretty obviously.
>>
>>2076805
Well I guess I really came to make this thread to say I wish it wasn't the case but as I
imagine /an/ is quite familiar towards: fuck humans
(i'm a foreigner and /an/ isn't my first language)
>>
>>2076820
>t-they don't actually want to be free

What is free? Why would they want fucking rocks and grass they aren't familiar with when they have endless food and what should be a perfect environment if you aren't an incompetent fuckup? There's no higher nebulous requirement for animals like chinchillas.

Elephants, chimps, dolphins are fucked up to keep in captivity, especially if they're pulled out of the wild, but not chins. Not any domestic animal. They wouldn't exist without us. They know nothing else.

Get out of here, PETAboi.
>>
>>2076787
this sounds like a 12yo

>Do you think those original captives we happy about the inexplicable aliens kidnapping them?

seriously?
>>
>>2076755
Chinchillas are very picky animals. He's fine, don't let him loose. If you really must, give him to someone else.
>>
>>2076755

Whole lotta anthropomorphising going in in this thread
>>
File: 1387633779211.gif (966 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
1387633779211.gif
966 KB, 500x300
anyone care to explain what happened in the deleted messages, I'm late.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.