[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/dog/ - Dog General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
File: DSC04276.jpg (117 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
DSC04276.jpg
117 KB, 768x576
Ask dog questions that don't deserve their own threads here.

Dog Kibble and Wet food ingredients/nutrition guide:
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand/

Dog breeds:
http://www.justdogbreeds.com/all-dog-breeds.html

Previous thread:
>>2010218
>>
whats cheapest way to feed a large dog?
>>
>>2016182
Teach your dog to hunt and eat wild animals when it's hungry.
>>
>>2016182
Yeah, don't get a dog.
>>
How bad is geographic retinal dysplasia in labrador retrievers?

Should a lab with geographic retinal dysplasia have puppies?
>>
I read that puppies should be fed 3-4 times a day, but 2 times a day is fine as well if you don't have the time.

What're the pro's and cons of feeding 3-4 times and only 2 times? I'm asking because i'm considering switching to feeding my pup 2 times a day. He's 3 months old if that helps.
>>
>>2016344
I know that feeding puppies too much in a single meal can cause loose stools.
>>
>>2016157
Baby dogs :D
>>
>>2016395
Loose as in watery like diarrhoea or loose as in smaller pieces rather than one big chunk of turd?
>>
>>2016343
I have no experience with the disease, but one absolutely should not breed an affected dog. There's even a DNA Test now, so there's no excuse to breed even a carrier.
>>
What should I do about an overprotective dog?

I work at a pet friendly place, so employees can bring their dogs every so often. I brought her around my department on a leash and everything went fairly well, I thought - we all have treats at our desks to give to any dog that happens to pass by. I settle in and let her wander for an hour and she comes back and settles by my feet for a nap.

Later, she's in my lap while I work and a coworker comes by and she starts barking at him like he's a threat - tried to charge him and everything. I crate her until she settles down, then bring her (on a leash) around the department again and she's completely fine around him.

So what gives? She's a 10 month old papillon, fixed.
>>
>>2016493
That could have been quite a few things.
you have a dog recently brought into a new environment that gets woken up by a stranger who could have different body language than you, catch your dog unawares.
Put yourself in the dog's shoes.
>>
What's better, raw food or kibble?
>>
File: IMG_20151213_141357.jpg (563 KB, 1000x1333) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151213_141357.jpg
563 KB, 1000x1333
>get new pup (8weeks)
>already housebroken from day one
What the hell is going on, the breeder I got it from says she used a doggy door for all the puppies, is that why?
>>
>>2016589
Probably mama dog taught the puppies to go outside through doggy door. So yes.
>>
>>2016589
Breed?
>>
>>2016589
B-but anon, you bought the dog too young! You're puppy is an untrained byb piece of shit with numerous health and behavioural issues!
>>
File: IMG_20151212_154110315.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151212_154110315.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
>>2016592
I didn't think about that.
>>2016610
Border Collie
>>2016623
:^)
>>
>>2016575
The best raw diet >>>>> the best kibble
The worst kibble >>>> the worst raw diet
>>
How do I know how much to feed my dog? She's a 3 year old border collie mix and she's 40 pounds.

I don't want to make her fat or starve her without meaning to.
>>
>>2016182

trappers. only the fur is worth money.

Anyways, I got a dog yesterday that I really shouldn't have bought, but I drove 4 hours for it, and she is a cutie. The add said border collie, but when I got there the breeder said the mom was blue heeler/cocker spaniel and the dad was norwegian elk hound/black lab.

I brought the pup home and have her set up in the barn with a big pillow and all the things a puppy could ever need, but my problem is she wont stop howling. She isn't crying like pups do (she has done that as well, but its unrelated) she literally sits and starts howling like a yote. Is this normal? my last dog was well past the puppy stage before I got it, and he never howled.

On a related note, how can I stop her from trying to eat goat shit? Whenever we are walking around, I have to pick her up and carry her whenever we are around the goats.
>>
>>2016664

I'm new to dogs, but i've raised livestock for over 20 years, feed with your eyes. The best nutrition plan can be wrong for your animals, if they look like they are getting fat, cut back on feed, if they look like they are getting thin, push them a little more.
>>
>>2016679
Why are you keeping her in a barn?
>>
>>2016681

Because I don't want to keep her in the house?

I also want her to bond with the goats while she is young, to avoid her chasing them when she is older.
>>
>>2016589

Got a Bord Collie at 8 weeks as well a month ago.

She only pees in the house when she's excited (due to visitors). She lets me know whenever she needs to go otherwise.

They're just smart god damn dogs. Amazingly smart.
>>
>>2016679
>the breeder said the mom was blue heeler/cocker spaniel and the dad was norwegian elk hound/black lab
The fuck dude, she straight up lied to you.
Also, barns are horrible places for a puppy, unless it's done every vaccination. my sister got hers from a barn and the puppies shit was almost all worms for a little bit.
Did they do genetics tests?
>>
>>2016680
That's a good idea, ty.
>>
>>2016679

Jesus, the dog doesn't need to live with the fucking goats.
>>
>>2016686

Naw, they didn't do any genetics tests on the dog, but I got to meet the parents, both of which were healthy and in good shape. I am bringing her in to the vet on tuesday to make sure everything is as it should be and to get her last round of shots. I'm not to worried about worms, because she is staying in the feed room, which has a concrete floor, and we have had several good freezes to kill the worms here.

I am a little concerned that the breeder lied to me, but I got a healthy pup, and am willing to take my chances on it.
>>
>>2016690

Give me a good reason why it shouldn't.
>>
Can someone tell me if the 8 week / 12 week thing is a meme or what?

I've been thinking about getting a puppy and been doing a lot of research, and a lot of breeders seem to do everything right EXCEPT offer the puppy at 12 weeks, and they definitely don't seem like BYBs.
>>
>>2016693

>http://animals.mom.me/health-effects-dust-horse-barns-6274.html
>>
>>2016697
Anecdotally, I have never had a problem with the 2 dogs I've had at 8 weeks.

I'm convinced it's a meme.
>>
>>2016700

>horses can't handle dust

well its a damn good thing my dog isn't a horse and my barn isn't particularly dusty. of the 4 dogs i've owned, not one has be brought down by dust, and they all lived in my barn.
>>
File: boxer.jpg (440 KB, 1024x821) Image search: [Google]
boxer.jpg
440 KB, 1024x821
Thinking of getting a boxer because they're so damn cute and I've always wanted one.

Is there anything in particular I should know about the breed?
>>
Should I invite my black friend over so my dog doesn't end up becoming racist?
They haven't met yet. She's 12 weeks.
>>
>>2016704

All animals can suffer respiratory issues from dust, the horse was just the first example, don't be a twat.

>4 previous dogs
>can't train his dog not to howl or eat poop
>previous dogs weren't puppies

Dust can also cause cancer. So you would never know there was an issue.
>>
>>2016697
I've fostered puppies for a long ass time, and the ones who were able to be fostered with their littermates/mom and adopted at 12 weeks or older were usually more well adjusted than ones seperated and adopted out at 8 weeks. so there's that
>>
>>2016707
>breathing issues
>eye issues
>hyper as fuck but can't let them get too hyper because breathing issues
>>
Is wet food any better than dry food? I've been feeding dry food to my dog for years, but recently was in a conversation with someone who said wet was the way to go.

I've always been under the impression that most wet foods are just dry foods with salty water added to them and canned.

I am sure the type of food makes more difference than anything, but is there any reason to feed wet over dry?
>>
>>2016720

Wet food tends to be horrible for their teeth unless you're providing them with plenty of shit to constantly chew on to keep them strong and clean.

Personally I don't see the point unless your dog is having digestion issues or a lack of nutrition.
>>
>>2016721

I wondered about that, i know in horses, they will soak the hay and grain to make it softer for old horses to eat, I think I will stick to dry food for the time being, as he is perfectly healthy.
>>
>>2016697
It's not a meme, there is just one ass-chapped anon who insists 8 weeks is best.

http://m.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/puppy_behavior_basics.html

Puppies are usually weaned at six to seven weeks, but are still learning important skills as their mother gradually leaves them for longer periods of time. Ideally, puppies should stay with their littermates (or other "role-model" dogs) for at least 12 weeks. Puppies separated from their littermates too early often fail to develop appropriate "social skills," such as learning how to send and receive signals, what an "inhibited bite" (acceptable mouthing pressure) means, how far to go in play-wrestling, and so forth. Play is important for puppies because it increases their physical coordination, social skills, and learning limits. By interacting with their mother and littermates, puppies explore the ranking process ("who's in charge") and also learn "how to be a dog."
>>
>>2016697
It IS a meme that keeps getting pushed my this cunt >>201675 even after getting disproved by numerous anons, sources and reputable organisations that 8 weeks is completely fine.
>>
>>2016821
was meant to link this faggot >>2016750
>>
>>2016720
A study shown (can't be assed finding it right now) that dry food digests much faster than wet food. So if you're all about timing their stools, there's that to take into consideration.
>>
>>2016720
Foods that are less processed and have a higher meat inclusion will be healthiest for dogs. As a rule all kibble has to be made up of at least 25-30% carbs (with the majority actually being closer to 50-60%), the reason kibble requires carbs is because without them as binders it will not retain that round compact shape. Kibble is also very highly processed, first the ingredients are rendered down and then they go through the extrusion process which exerts high temperature and pressure to form everything into those convenient little dry shapes. The extrusion process is so intense that much of the nutrition and flavor is cooked out to the point that manufacturers have to add back high amounts of flavor enhancers and artificial vitamins.

Canned food, on the other hand does not require as much processing as kibble and doesn't need nearly as many carbs. Some cheap canned foods on the market still add a bunch of carbs, but certain brands like Instinct, Weruva, and Wild Calling are almost all meat and therefore much healthier.

>>2016721
High carb foods like kibble are the worst for dental health, a high-meat canned food will contribute much less to periodontal disease than kibble. That being said, if you can't regularly provide some raw bones for teeth cleaning then you will probably still need to use a dental supplement like Plaque Off and brush regularly to prevent too much build up.
>>
>>2016697
Post links and we can help you see whether or not breeders are reputable.

I am active in performance dog sports and competitive obedience and all of the great breeders I know let their puppies go between 12-16 weeks depending on different variables.
>>
>>2016924
>>2016750
Samefag
>>
File: image.png (886 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.png
886 KB, 2048x1536
>>2016925
Nope
>>
>>2016926
>What is aborting the post right before it posts so the (you) doesn't show up
>>
>>2016927
>what is being this buttblasted about being wrong

Seriously go to a dog show, agility trial, or obedience trial and ask the breeders there how long they keep their puppies. Then ask them why. You will learn something important.
>>
>>2016929
>Exhibit A

And no, most reputable breeders adopt their puppies at around 10 weeks. It's proven that 12 weeks should be the latest, and God forbid a breeder adopts a puppy at 16 weeks. Selfish little prick with attachment issues is only going to make it harder for the puppy to adjust with it's new family.

/dg/ has gone over this before, keep up.
>>
>>2016931
You underestimate the huge amount of socialization good breeders undertake with their puppies to ensure they enter their new homes well-adjusted and adaptable. I said 12-16 weeks because sometimes breeders need to keep puppies a little longer to properly evaluate things like show potential or temperament. Also certain health concerns, like a heart murmur, can require extra months of monitoring before a breeder can be comfortable letting a family take the puppy. So while not every puppy needs to be kept that long, there are circumstances where it is warranted. Hence why I said, "12-16 weeks depending on different variables."
>>
>>2016931
>12 weeks should be the latest, and God forbid a breeder adopts a puppy at 16 weeks. Selfish little prick with attachment issues is only going to make it harder for the puppy to adjust with it's new family.
So no one should adopt a dog over 12 weeks?
>>
>>2016925
No. This >>2016750 was me.
>>
>>2016940
Yep, you definitely sound like that guy >>2016750

This has been discussed before, we're still waiting on your abundance of sources apart from that one link you keep parroting saying 12 weeks is the minimum age a puppy should be adopted.

>>2016948
No, just advised against.
>>
>>2016961
>just advised against.
That is incredibly stupid. The vast majority of dogs up for adoption are over twelve weeks old.
>>
>>2016961
Shocker, there's more than one person on /an/! I'll give you a pass because I know it doesn't happen often.
>>
>>2016965
Of course there are dogs adopted over that age, but it's not at the fault of the owner. Dogs that are adopted later than 12 weeks rather then 10 which is advised to be the optimum, is just irresponsibility on the breeders part, which is what is being argued here.

>>2016966
>i-it wasn't me, I-i swear!
If only i could be bothered to go to the previous threads to copy and paste the same shit you keep spewing kek
>>
>>2016961
Like I said, go to any dog show or performance event and ask the breeders what's the ideal age for a puppy to go to its new home.

In the meantime stop talking about things with which you have no experience.
>>
File: 1335285562928.jpg (1020 KB, 1124x749) Image search: [Google]
1335285562928.jpg
1020 KB, 1124x749
>>2016965
>how many posts until he figures out I'm using a different definition of the word than he is?
>>
>>2016969
I have, and they all say the same thing. Literally google what the ideal age is to find your answer. You clearly have no idea since you're suggesting participating in dog shows makes a breeder reputable lmao.
>>
>>2016971
>you're suggesting participating in dog shows makes a breeder reputable lmao.
isn't that like a basic requirement? I mean, how do you pick breeding stock if its never been shown?
>>
>>2016973
Dog show breeders can and often do ignore health risks in favour of aesthetic features. They're known as the biggest culprits of inbreeding aside from BYBs.
>>
>>2016971
Conformation shows are primarily an evaluation of breeding stock. Ideally a breeder only breeds dual champion dogs, those that have confirmation titles and working/ sporting titles (tracking, herding, terrier trials, hunting tests).
>>
>>2016974
ah.
you're that anon that hasn't yet realized all members of a pure breed are related to each other.

carry on then.
>>
>>2016974
Every barrel has a few bad apples.
>>
>>2016974
Not saying it doesn't happen, but I have literally never met someone who has ever practiced linebreeding. To the vast majority of breeders it's considered an abhorrent practice that should be condemned.

And while I agree with you that some breed clubs have taken their individual breed standard to an extreme, the huge majority of breeds are more focused on on structure and performance over aesthetics.
>>
>>2016979
>He thinks just because a pure breed is related to each other, it makes it acceptable to breed direct brothers and sisters
>He doesn't know that reputable breeders try to breed pairs that have as little genetic similarity as possible

Ahh, you're that anon that's fucking retarded.
>>
>>2016157
When a puppy say takes a pee in the house is rubbing it's nose in it a good punishment I think it's does no good but my brother thinks differently
>>
>>2016987
WTF do you want us to do about it? Move out and get your own life.
>>
>>2016992
>>2016992
Dude I live on my own and just got my puppy since he has a dog that's only around a year old I asked him if he had any good advice on housebreaking my pup and he said rubbing it's nose in its piss will stop it from doing its business in the house I wondering if doing that actually works or if it doesn't help the dog at all
>>
Is anti bacterial hand soap enough to clean shit off carpet? It's all i got at the moment
>>
>>2016996
No.
It's barely enough for you, your dog/cat will definitely still be able to smell it.
>>
>>2016987
Unless they do it in the middle of the night while you're asleep, or you're out of the house at work or whatever, you should be taking them out frequently enough and long enough that they go outside. Reward them with treats when this happens outside. I wouldn't stick their nose IN it, because that shit is nasty as fuck, and probably not good, but bring them over and make them look at it and give them a stern "no"

Don't stick their noses IN it.
>>
>>2016992
It's a simple question, why would you even respond that way, he just wanted an opinion.
>>
>>2017007
What would you suggest? I have alcohol? The medical/cleaning kind
>>
File: 1449121134081.jpg (119 KB, 806x1075) Image search: [Google]
1449121134081.jpg
119 KB, 806x1075
>>2016924
>>2016940
Let us BTFO you once again using the same passage from Ian Dunbar's book on puppies.

8 weeks is optimal in most cases.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=qHTR6DwRPV4C&lpg=PR2&dq=Ian%20Dunbar&pg=PA29#v=onepage&q&f=false
>>
>>2017015
I respect Ian Dunbar, but in this instance I disagree with him. I also think if you were to ask him this question today he would probably give you a different answer than the one in his book. Additionally I will point out that in the paragraph right below the one you're referencing he gives some compelling reasons why a puppy benefits staying with a breeder for longer, given that it's a good breeder well-experienced in socializing puppies compared to the average dog owner.

And as I mentioned before, not one breeder I know (and I know many) ever lets their puppies go before 12 weeks.
>>
Bandanas on dogs, yay or nay?
If yay, how often should it be changed/washed? As needed?
>>
>>2017053
Honestly if he's got a lot of tartar build-up I'd recommend just sending him to the vet to get a dental cleaning to get it done real thoroughly. They sedate the dog and have the right tools/equipment to do the job right and thoroughly.

From there, you can do the maintenance on his teeth yourself with regular brushing.
>>
File: hegyi kuty.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
hegyi kuty.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
Anyone know what breed this dog could be?
Supposedly this is in India, so might be something from around there?
>>
>>2017017
I agree. Telling someone that they should take the pup home at six weeks if the breeder is bad is terrible advice. If the breeder turns out up be shit, don't get a puppy from them! That's some basic shit right there.
>>
>>2017090
Maybe some sort of Tibetan Mastiff mix?
>>
>>2016987
>>2016994
after a long time the dog may start to pick up on your anger when he does it, but the rubbing his nose in it is just unsanitary and can make your dog just more interested in his own shit. there's not a single thing by animal behaviorists, vets, or anyone else qualified supporting the claim that it does work

do positive reinforcement when he does go outside, and take him out very frequently. just about every puppy I've fostered I've done this with and they knew they were supposed to go outside within weeks

but keep in mind how important it is to go very frequently. even if the pup knows they should go outside, their bladders are damn tiny, so they still need to be let out often. if the dog goes in the house, think of it as a sign to you that you should be taking him out more frequently
>>
>>2017152
So.... let the puppy die? I'm neither anon in this discussion but that's just fucking cruel.
>>
>>2017200
The pup most likely won't die. It will get older and less cute until the pup is given away. If you give the breeder money you are just encouraging them to keep breeding.
>>
>>2017202
Well unless the breeder is selling the pups for more than $200, profit margin is way too fucking small for him to even think about doing it again. 9 times out of 10, these people just have accidental pregnancies, unless they specifically advertise shit like "SUPER CUTE PUREBRED X".
>>
>>2016182
My dog gets most of the meat I get from hunting.
>>
>>2017203
Most BYBs are not selling pups for 200$ or less. In my area at least, they go for 450-600$.
>>
File: Annabelle.png (3 MB, 1165x1883) Image search: [Google]
Annabelle.png
3 MB, 1165x1883
>>2017210

I just bought this little girl for $250 from what /an/ would call a back yard breeder. They had an accidental pregnancy and were going through 50lbs of food a week and had get rid of some.
>>
>>2017229
Now that's a cute pupper.
>>
>>2017210
my pup (>>2016589) went for $250 as well, I believe it's a common price for a dog>>2017210
, granted she had a sister that was $350 but had lotsa copper points.
>>
File: photo copy.jpg (96 KB, 450x566) Image search: [Google]
photo copy.jpg
96 KB, 450x566
>>2017210
My pup was exactly $200. He came from some shitty owner who had his litter dumped on him by his ex gf because her dog accidentally got pregnant and he realised he couldn't take care of them properly.
>>
>>2017050
yea in most cases
I'm contemplating getting a bandana for my dog, it would be cute as fuck.
>>
File: 75657.jpg (200 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
75657.jpg
200 KB, 1500x1000
>>
File: 456456.png (936 KB, 700x620) Image search: [Google]
456456.png
936 KB, 700x620
>>2017443
Not sure is this doll or real dog...
>>
>>2017449
>>2017443
This is kind of revolting.
>>
I bought a 25' lead for my border collie. Not to use on walks obviously. We went to the beach today to try it out.

She takes off running and hits the end of the leash. It jerks and hurts my hand. A lot. And it probably doesn't feel great for her either. How can I teach her not to run and hit the end of the lead?

This is my first dog, sorry if I seem like an idiot.
>>
>>2017456
If it's a retractable lead, then press the stop button on it a couple times if you think she's about to pick up speed.
If it's just a plain rope or something, coil/keep most of it by your side and let her incrementally increase distance away.

Border collies a best
>>
Just out of curiosity, how bad an idea you think it would be to get a dog at a Petland?
>>
>>2017483
You're going to have a real hard time getting the dog to behave.

Pet store dogs are shipped out at 5 weeks for maximum cuteness and marketability, and that's way too early to be separated from its mother.

Plus, pet stores keep them in display boxes all day, and that basically teaches them to piss and shit where they eat and play.
>>
There is a lump by my dogs armpit, hold me /an/
>>
My puppy knows that peeing outside is good and gets him treats, but it hasn't clicked that peeing inside is bad. I use Nature's Miracle and keep him in an ex-pen when I can't watch him, and I take him out every 2-4 hours, but he still pees inside it almost every day. What do I do? He's almost 8 months now. I don't free feed and have only recently kept his water out at all times.
>>
>>2017483
besides all the other fucking problems for the amount of money Petland charges for their shitty dogs you could get one from a decent breeder.
>>
>>2016697
The only thing I've ever heard was from our trainer who strongly suggested 10 weeks. "gives them more time to learn appropriate biting and behavior from the mother and siblings"
>>
>>2017545
Do you have carpet? My 3 month old is the same and i'm starting to think it's because he believes the carpet is like grass. It's funny because we could be walking along on a road or pavement and he'll absolutely never piss or shit until he reaches grass.
>>
File: 00707_aJ5AutcWhC0_600x450.jpg (22 KB, 337x450) Image search: [Google]
00707_aJ5AutcWhC0_600x450.jpg
22 KB, 337x450
>>2016157
Dear /dog/,

Presenting the shih-tzu/pitbull mix I just found on Craigslist.
>>
>>2017599
We have carpet, but I set up his pen on the part of my house with tile for easy clean up.

I live in a condo and he has a potty patch of artificial turf outside where he pees and shits on command. Maybe I should change it to real grass? I don't want to have to use it forever because changing it all the time so it doesn't stink is a pain. Plus he pees on his walks in the grass so I'm fucking confused. He's a smart dog and is perfect with tricks and basic commands; he just can't get that peeing inside is bad. I don't want to have to resort to spanking him or whatever.
>>
>>2017602
what a combo
>>
>>2017606
Have you tried bringing him over to it and saying no?
>>
>>2017611
Does that actually work? I usually go 'ah-ah!' and crate him while I clean it up.
>>
Hi guys,

Close to adopting an ACD x BC and have a couple questions. She is about 9 months and has a timid temperament atm. After meeting me for 10 minutes she would come when called and roll over against me and be very friendly. She knows her basic commands however I will be spending alot of time training her to a higher standard and taking her to obedience school. She is socialised with dogs and also good with kids (a relief for a cattle dog owner). Her foster patents told me she sleeps in her crate at night but if she is left in the laundry she will wine and cry. I don't have any issues letting her seep in a crate in my room but at some point I'd like her to grow out of it and become more independent and sleep by herself. Is this an unrealistic expectation and if not, what are some good methods to positively reinforce her it's ok to sleep alone? I've never had a dog sleep in the same room as be before do it hasn't been an issue and I've exclusively owned working dogs.

Thanks for any advice :)
>>
File: 1449981020090.webm (2 MB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1449981020090.webm
2 MB, 640x640
>>
>>2017613
Watch for signs the dog is about to eliminate on the floor. As soon as he is about to begin, rush him outside and let him finish. Celebrate a ton and praise him like he's the best dog ever.
>>
>>2017691
BC = border collie?
ACD = ?
Fuck I don't know, why the hell do I have to play a guessing game to answer your damn questions. Just say the name of the dog you autistic fuck.
>>
I help my friend walk his Lagotto a few times a week and the problem lies in the fact that the dog pulls like a God damn ox.

How do you best teach a dog to not pull your arms off?
>>
>>2017780
australian cattle dog...most of /an/ uses these abbreviations. do you also not know GSD?
>>
>>2017840
When he pulls, just stop walking. Stand there. Eventually he'll learn that pulling means not walking.

Zak George and kikopup have some good YouTube videos on the subject as well.
>>
>>2017853
Has Zak come out of the closet?
>>
>>2017613
It worked for my last lab, but probably more important than that, is what >>2017773 says
>>
>>2017840
I've got this harness for my dog, think it's called an Easy Walker? It attaches from the front of the dog, rather than on their back. My dog's a medium sized labradoodle but she's surprisingly strong, but if she has that on I can walk her without any problems.
>>
>>2017854
For that matter, has Kikopup?
>>
>>2017888
>>2017854
Is dog trainers being gay a stereotype? I'm gay and I want to be a dog trainer. Shit.
>>
>>2017854
He doesn't ping as gay to me.

And, I think he once mentioned his girlfriend is the one producing his videos.
>>
File: tumblr_nh22mo5gPD1sn75h6o1_1280.jpg (215 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nh22mo5gPD1sn75h6o1_1280.jpg
215 KB, 1280x720
What breed is this dog?
>>
>>2017912
Dude, he's feminine as fuck. Either he just has really feminine mannerisms or he gobbles dick daily.
>>
>>2017292

Thanks, Shes a little ball of energy. Today we are working on bite training, as in, making her stop. apparently she bit my mom while I was at work yesterday.

Any tips /an/? spanking dogs is never fun.
>>
>>2017990
what breed
>>
My puppy is 12.5 weeks and hasn't really interacted with any other dogs yet.

I'm kind of worried that she's not getting enough exposure with other dogs, but she also still has her last round of vaccines to get before she's ready to go beyond the backyard or interact without dogs outside.

Unfortunately the only other dog I know of comparable size to let her interact with safely has fleas right now.

Should I sign up for dog classes or something, or just try to survive it until her last round of vaccines?

I just don't want the poor pupper going stir crazy and developing bad habits because of a lack of exposure...

[spoiler]Its the first puppy I've ever had, so if I seem paranoid like a first-time new parent, yeah...[/spoiler]
>>
>>2017995

mutt, mom was a blue heeler/cocker spaniel, dad was a Norwegian elk hound/black lab.

I really don't want to spank her, because I've been told about heelers expecially getting super scared of their owners after just one hit, but I don't see another way to train her not to bite.

I cant just keep constantly giving her treats as long as she isn't biting.
>>
>>2017602
Shitbull
>>
>>2018024
You fucking idiot, create a command that means stop what you're doing. Stopping play until the dog gives you the toy or releases it is a good one, or kikopups 'leave' with the fist full of treats, then use that command to stop anything it's doing that is bad. Do you not even basics?
>>
Are kelpies, Australian cattle dogs, Australian shepherds, blue/red heelers all the same breed?
>>
Is there any behavioural problems you only get one go at adjusting?
I notice a lot of people on here (specifically puppy owners usually first time) are super paranoid and inpatient.
>>
How do you set up one set of rules for home and another for everywhere else?
I love my dog jumping up at me and licking my face and shit, and I like when she jumps straight on the couch next to me. So I never told her off, but taking her to a friends house is stress as she jumps up on the couch and doesn't know what sea doing wrong, or fuck heads in the street who come over and get down to her then spazz out when she jumps up.
>>
I just had a dream that i was on a farm looking at buying a new pitbull. The large pitbull pup was covered in shit, and as i leant down to inspect his coat, the breeder went "okay okay he has fleas".

Hold me /an/, that dream was scary as fck
>>
Does anyone masturbate their dogs?
>>
>>2018152
Not a dog question you anxious tumbl-bitch. Get your hugs somewhere else
>>
>>2018156
Nice shitposting newfag, go back to /b/.
>>
>>2016157
Is it me or are loads of people getting service dogs now? Like anxiety, PTSD, ADHD, autism assistance dogs... How does this work? Why specifically dogs?
>>
>>2018158
I'm from /pol
>>
>>2018160
Even worse, fuck off back to your containment board
>>
>>2018162
Ask a dog question.
>>
>>2018160
>not in /pol/ shitposting about the debate
Fucking socialist
>>
>>2018165
Why does your mum love to gobble down dog dick on a daily basis?
>>
When would I be able to take my blue heeler puppy out on walks?

What about jogs and running?
>>
>>2018288
hold off on running/jogging until growth plates are closed. Self directed running is ok though.
>>
>>2017780
Getting this mad at acronyms and calling someone else autistic.

Could anyone give me advice on how to stop a dog whining when left alone at night?
>>
>>2018295
>make sure it's tired before bed
>don't ever go to it while it's crying
>be consistent, they'll get past it eventually
>>
One of my dogs literally can't stop sucking the other dog off. How do i get him to stop
>>
How do I get over this fear?

I had a dog that I loved when I was growing up. One day the dog had passed away unknowingly (old age I think, dog was 15), anyway, my mom found the dog outside and told me to not go outside until my dad went out there to bury it.

I am so scared of this happening again I know that dogs don't have long life spans and I'm worried that I will have to be the one to find my dog dead one day and it will be so heart breaking
>>
>>2018159
Anxiety dogs are trained look for signs of panic attack, and try to guide the master to quiet space outside if they sense panic attack is oncoming.

They also will get people to come help if the master becomes incapacitated from an acute panic attack.

Autism dogs work similarly. They get help if the master panics and will apply pressure on the master to help calm him/her down (i.e. being a walking hugbox) while waiting for help.
>>
>>2018314
let him suck you off instead. Win win
>>
some good dog breeds for first time owners?
>>
File: q t dragown.jpg (136 KB, 500x620) Image search: [Google]
q t dragown.jpg
136 KB, 500x620
>picking my german shepherd puppy up on Friday

I've been reading up on raising a dog like a madcunt, as she'll grow to such a size that she needs a good upbringing. There's a lot of conflicting theories on dog psychology, but I'll be in close contact with the breeder, so I'm fairly confident I've got a handle on how to raise her well.

But what are some cool tricks I can teach a shepherd?

And one question I have is feeding; it's a breed that easily develops skin irritation that requires medication that can cut down on her lifespan. The breeder recommends a primarily meat-based diet from gut meat with some pellets added in for the necessary nutrients. Anybody got an opinion on what to feed german shepherds to keep her health at peak condition?
>>
>>2018307
Cool. I've read to keep them in say the laundry and when it cries to whisper through the door to be quiet. Once it calms down you can go in and pat it to reinforce it that it will get what it wants being quiet. Sound legit?
>>
>>2018020
Even the AVMA has said its riskier to not socialize your dog than to go out before finishing the last round of boosters (which likely your dog doesn't even need). Get into a class ASAP.

Fuck the breeder who sold you this puppy.
>>
>>2018147
Google is your friend.
>>
>>2018151
Lots of training and practice. Work with a trainer or someone with a lot of experience who can teach you the basics.
>>
>>2018150
The problem is people underestimate the amount of knowledge and experience it takes to properly raise a puppy, and end up getting puppies from shitty breeders who provide no support like good breeders do.
>>
>>2018288
Please link up with people who have experience with your breed, join your regional breed club and start going to events and meeting people. You and your dog will benefit from their knowledge.
>>
>>2018340
LEBA III is a fantastic product, look into it.
>>
>>2018340
If his teeth are as bad as you say he needs to see a vet. Trying to clean them at home without proper equipment and experience isn't sufficient.

A vet will be able to not only clean his teeth properly but also take care of any rotting teeth in need of extraction and treat any infections he has in his mouth. At his age it's not surprising to see a decline in dental health especially if his teeth haven't been cared for properly, so it's important that he gets proper care for them now.

Please take him to see a vet so he can get his dental issues sorted out. From there, you can continue brushing his teeth to maintain dental health. But he really needs more than what you can do at home for him right now.
>>
>>2018334
Definitely not. The dog then learns that when it cries, you will come to give it attention. This would reinforce the dog's whining, not teach it to stop.

Instead, ignore the dog COMPLETELY until it stops crying. THEN go to it and reward with attention for being calm/quiet.

If you give ANY attention while the dog is still crying you will undermine your efforts.
>>
>>2018344
What if it just carries on for ages? Or is that unlikely? Is there any way to make it stop quicker through vocalisation or will it immediately associate even a shoosh? That makes sense though, thank you.
>>
>>2018151
Teach her to come up on the couch on command. This way you can tell her specifically when it's ok to come up and when it's not.

As for the jumping, lots more training. Reward with attention when she does it to you. Inform guests to IGNORE her (cease any attention-giving) when she does it to them. Reward her for greeting guests calmly and without jumping (you may need to do this gradually with distance/approximation--start by having her behind a barrier when guests come over so she physically can't jump on them, and reward her for engaging with the guests without jumping.)
>>
>>2018150
It's more that consistency is VERY important especially for puppies who are learning something for the first time. So people want to have as much consistency as possible. Raising and training a puppy takes a lot of work and people don't want things to undermine that
>>
>>2018350
I know it's expensive but it's necessary. If you want to take care of this dog it's gonna be something someone has to pony up the money for. If not your mom or anyone else, you might have to bite the bullet and pay for it yourself.
>>
>>2018346
>What if it just carried on for ages?
Then you have to grin and bear it. The dog WILL stop eventually. Unfortunately, if it's been reinforced for barking/crying before, it will likely be more difficult to get it to stop because it has previously learned that this behavior gets it attention. This means that when you start doing the training properly, your dog may cry for a VERY long time before stopping because of what it previously learned, and it's testing to see if the threshold has gone up/if MORE or the behavior is necessary now to produce the same response.

This means do NOT give in and give the dog attention, even if the crying goes on for ages! You need to be patient and have the will power to outlast your dog. If at any point you give in because you "can't take it anymore" and decide to give the dog attention to shut it up, you will be sabotaging the training because you've now taught the dog that it just needs to cry LONG ENOUGH for it to get what it wants. You'll be unintentionally reinforcing the increased threshold, essentially accidentally training your dog to cry and cry and cry for a long time until you reward it.

It is possible to teach a command for "quiet" but attempting to do so it under these conditions (dog crying when left in crate/confinement) isn't ideal and may be counterproductive.
>>
>>2018355
MORE of the behavior*

sorry for the typo
>>
>>2018292
Wait what? Why would you need to wait until full maturity? My puppy runs around in the backyard on his own and he's super hyper, like speedy gonzales.
>>
>>2018339
If you need to have your hand held by the breeder in order to properly raise a pup then you're just a shit owner to begin with and shouldn't own a dog.
>>
>>2018360
Running the dog (your puppy running around on his own is ok--they mean taking the dog for runs, having it run more than it would on its own) before physical maturity can cause damage during development that will manifest as issues later in life.
>>
>>2018362
Interesting, thanks for the heads up
>>
>>2018361
Reputable breeders have dedicated years of their lives to their dogs, have probably experienced every single question or problem every new puppy owner experiences, and have much more knowledge and experience how to handle things. But sure, go off what bullshit you came across on Google.
>>
>>2018365
Raising a pup isn't rocket science, and there's an infinite number of sources everywhere to gather information from, especially ones that don't feel the need to intrude on your life. I'm 100% all for breeders that OFFER support and guidance, you are however suggesting that their help should be mandatory and act as if they're the sole source of puppy raising information.

But sure, anything that doesn't agree with your opinion is "bullshit".
>>
>>2018145
>You fucking idiot, create a command that means stop what you're doing. Stopping play until the dog gives you the toy or releases it is a good one

Read the fucking thread, my dog is biting people, not playing with a toy. I'm not about to sit there while my dog chews me up saying "no bad dog no".
>>
>>2018361
Everyone starts somewhere. Not everybody was able to be a child of dog whispers. Some people may even have a first dog! Can you believe that? I know it's hard to imagine babies come out of the womb without years of dog experience under their belt, it's blasphemy
>>
>>2018465

Uhh bro, he's not wrong.

I say "enough" to my dog and he will stop whatever he's doing and look at me.
>>
>>2018465
You dick.
>>
>>2018589
That's exactly my point you smug little shit. When i was a first time owner, i did extensive research and gathered all of my information from google, my vet, and even this general. If a first time owner isn't willing to be that proactive then they shouldn't own a dog to begin with.
>>
>>2017990
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9KQegi4r8k
You're going to want to use a lot of positive reinforcement. I recommend treats like chicken breast, because the better the treat the better they listen, and remember you don't need to use a lot. Just tiny pieces.

She's not going to be trained overnight, I'm still working on my puppy. It's been a few weeks and she now switches from barely biting to licking heavily.
>>
>>2018786
Being proactive means forming a bond with your breeder, and a good breeder will often share the same goals and want to help out. For instance: you have a puppy with mouthing issues like >>2017990, a good breeder will work on this with you and the puppy. Or say you're dealing with a situation like >>2018020, good breeders continue to host puppy socialization parties after the puppies go home because they know how critical this socialization period is. >>2018288 would have benefitted from going through a good breeder because that breeder would have known at the onset that Anon wanted a dog as a running partner and would have stressed the importance of waiting to engage compulsory running until after the dogs growth plates close.

These are just a few examples, I see dozens of posts a day on this board where I just shake my head because all of these issues would not be issues had people just gone to a reputable breeder who cultivates a relationship with their puppy owners.

Ultimately, what you fail to realize is that before a reputable breeder decided to breed they already had years of ownership experience. They say it takes 10,000 hours to master a skill, well you partner with a breeder whose been doing it for 10+ years and you can bet this point that breeder is a master in most aspects of dog ownership--and the best part is your access to this bank of knowledge and experience is included in the cost if your puppy. A good breeder will happily dedicate their free afternoon to teaching you the ins and outs of grooming, training a new skill, introducing you to a new working activity; hell the breeders I know will watch your dog for free when you go on vacation because they like to help owners out and love having an old puppy come visit.

So you can minimize the importance of a good breeder relationship all you want, all I can say is you are missing out and I really feel bad for you and your dog because you don't even realize it.
>>
File: Pekoe4.png (1 MB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
Pekoe4.png
1 MB, 1200x800
Hey guys. About last thread when that anon looked up my breeder for health checks on her Shibas, he was wrong.

Just wanted to let you guys know that she has the health check paperwork and the parents were indeed champions.
She's not registed with AKC or CKC, but used to be. She doesn't breed much now, which is why she shut down her account. But the puppies are registered, health checked and vaccinated and tested. Same goes for the parents.
She didn't breed her male with her female, but the male was shipped from Japan.
Just wanted to clear things up. :3
Happy Dogidays, btw.
Pic related, her a week ago.
>>
>>2018823
Dog looks like a fox.
>>
>>2018823
Meant to mention, when I say "she's not registered with AKC or CKC" I mean the breeder, not the dogs.

Though she's not registered any more, she's still reputable. She was recommended to me by another reputable breeder.
>>
File: Pekoe7.png (997 KB, 1100x733) Image search: [Google]
Pekoe7.png
997 KB, 1100x733
>>2018824
That's what caught my interest in this breed. Hah.
>>
>>2018823
Let's hope we were wrong. For your dog's sake.
>>
>>2018818
See >>2018377

Also, good job on missing the point of what it means to be proactive you idiot. Being proactive means to actively educate yourself, to provide the necessary stimuli and to seek out what is best for you and your puppy? Nah son, being proactive means letting the breeder do all that for you. Lol, you sound stupid.
>>
>>2018830
Whenever I see anons on /an/ with superiority complexes like yours, i rage a little on the inside.
>>
>>2018818
What a breeder took years to learn, i learnt it all in seconds just by doing some quick research on google and youtube. Get rekt.
>>
>>2016714
you should socialize your dog with all types of people that are unfamiliar to it. and if you're not black, a black person would end up being unfamiliar to your dog.

my dog barks at people with hats and backpacks because no one around me really wore hats or backpacks during his first few months with me. now that it's winter though, more people are starting to wear hats and he gets a little nervous until he can assess their friendliness.
>>
>>2018851
Good job on responding to the troll that came from /pol/ or /b/.
>>
>>2018861
I don't know. I've heard of racist dogs before. Simply because they haven't seen a different coloured person before.
>>
>>2018871
The first dogs evolved in asia/SE asia.
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 236x289) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 236x289
>>2018818
>tfw no reputable dog breeders like this near me

Everyone around me just buys shitty puppies from shitty BYBs, no one does agility or fun dog activities. Pretty much all my neighbors shell out money for crappily-bred puppies that just end up sitting in their yard on a chain all day. Fuck I can't wait to leave this shit hole
>>
What are Pharoe hounds like? In general?
>>
>>2018871
The only reason humans aren't seperate species if there would be too much "DAAAS RAYCISS" public outcry.

Probably for the best though.
>>
Is it okay for a puppy to attend socialization classes before 12 weeks?
>>
File: 403093_ab067_900x900_ebc87.jpg (188 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
403093_ab067_900x900_ebc87.jpg
188 KB, 900x675
Help me name my pupper please :)
>>
>>2018914
She's a gril btw.
>>
>>2018914
Felony
>>
>>2018914
Glock
>>
>>2018914
Pol Pot
>>
My housemates have a rescue dog that needs supervision and I've recently been recruited to "keep an ear out" whenever the house is empty. She used to be able to be put in her kennel and stay calm when they were gone, but she was once put in there when an old woman came over, and since then she freaks the fuck out and goes hysterical, which is why it is now my problem. Advice for getting her to stop associating the kennel with fear?
>>
>>2018923
1. Keep the kennel door open.
2. Hold treat in hand and let puppy sniff.
3. Throw the treat in the kennel.
4. DO NOT close the kennel door one the puppy is in.

Repeat the above many times a day over several days.

Then.

1. Close the kennel door with puppy outside.
2. Hold treat in hand and let puppy sniff.
3. Throw the treat in the kennel and shut the door.
4. Let puppy stare at the treat in the kennel she can't get to.
5. Wait until she starts to whine or paw at the door.
6. Open the kennel door, and let her in.
7. Try shutting the door if puppy doesn't try to get out.

You may need to use something that is of higher value than a treat like her favorite chew toy or a Kong filled with peanut butter and kibbles.
>>
>>2018887
You're either samefagging or just another dense peta fag with unnecessarily high arbitrary standards for a dog.

Every dog, no matter whether they're byb, from a reputable breeder, or a rescue, are totally loveable if they're raised right and you're a dickhead for saying they're shitty when they have no choice of who's responsible for breeding them. Cunt.
>>
>>2018938
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think he was saying they're "shitty" like they can't be loveable good dogs, but "shitty" like poor genetics.
>>
>>2018939
I guess people shouldn't adopt rescues then because of "genetics".
>>
>>2018940
I'm not saying people shouldn't adopt or rescue dogs because "genetics."

However I do think it's unethical of the people who breed dogs without considering the soundness/health of the dogs.
>>
>>2018941
To be fair, purebreds themselves and their creation are unethical.
>>
>>2018942
I disagree that it's inherently unethical. Surely it can be done in an unethical way, but it can also be done in an ethical way.
>>
>>2018786
If that is the case, no one would ever have an animal related problem ever. Sometimes things pop up that aren't easily explained through youtube or wikipedia. To think that everyone should get their information from Yahoo answers and the like is awful. Sometimes (especially with handling) people need hands-on help.

>>2018841
>Where are these reputable breeders faglord?
I found one of CKC spaniels near Buffalo NY

>What if we don't want to form a relationship
Besides what is in the contract, like spaying/neutering, making sure the dog has it's 1 year shots, etc, it isn't mandatory.

>For anything besides maybe the three most popular breeds i don't think there are actually any breeders here that live up to your standards

Where is 'here'? a 3rd world country?
The most popular breeds are actually the hardest to find reputable breeders for. This is because the supply is over-saturated by puppy mills and BYBs. With dogs like the Caucasian Shepherd or Azawakh, breeds you don't even see in dog shows or mentioned in tabloid 'TOP 10 RARE BREEDS' are kept with mainly reputable breeders, because the breeders are extremely careful about where their dogs go, and how they are cared for. Although I'm sure one of these days, a breeder will slip up eventually.
>>
>>2018839
You need self control
>>
>>2018938
>PETA
>dog breeding
Nice try, but you completely mis-used that trigger word ;^)

>>2018940
People probably shouldn't be supporting people that contribute to pet-overpopulation and poor health/genetics

>>2018888
You mean Pharaoh?

Somewhat high energy. They are sight/scent hounds so they are fast and dash when they see something run by, and are easily distracted and carried away by smells. So very unreliable on leash.

Shelter I work at has a Pharaoh hound mix they are calling a pit bull. hue
>>
>>2018914

nicky.
>>
>>2019293
Your mum gave birth to you, you don't see anyone complaining about her contributing to human overpopulation and poor health/genetics.

And good job at trying to avoid the point where you're a cunt for calling any dog at all "shitty" for something they have no control over.
>>
>>2019292
You need to humble yourself.

"Let's hope we're wrong, for your dogs sake."
Lmao like seriously, who the fuck do you think you are? Such a pretentious statement.
>>
Hey, /an/. I recently moved to the south from the mid-atlantic. One of my dogs has gotten weird lumps on his side that are around pea-sized. They aren't hurting him or anything; he's also started to lick at his paws a lot and comes inside smelling kind of bad.

I read around a bit and it seems like he just has a yeast infection, but do you guys think this is anything more? Should I take him to the vet?
>>
I heard that it's bad for a dog to be licking his paws. My pupper does it when his paws are wet, is that bad?
>>
>>2019307
R E K T
E
K
T
>>
File: image.jpg (472 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
472 KB, 1600x1200
>>2016157
Is it a good idea to trim a dogs coat? I am very interested in owning a Keeshond, but I'm not so sure about their grooming needs. I know you're not supposed to shave them completely, but would it be a good idea to leave like an inch or so of fur on them? To what extent can a dog be safely shaved?
>>
>>2016343
If you have to ask if your dog should have puppies, you shouldn't have puppies. Neuter her.
>>
File: pup.jpg (345 KB, 1821x829) Image search: [Google]
pup.jpg
345 KB, 1821x829
We had a huge fence built last week and today my pupper swallowed a nail in the yard. The guys did a good job of cleaning up after themselves and we combed the yard as meticulously as we could, but still missed one.

I took her to the vet asap to get x-rayed and now they're going to remove it surgically, is she gonna be okay? I don't mind the vet bill but I feel guilty as fuck
>>
>>2019565
She'll probably be fine. it sounds like you got her to the vet pretty quick. It doesn't sound like the surgery was an emergency surgery either. If it was that much of an issue, the surgery would've been done on site.
>>
>>2016182
Porridge, you need to make sure to give other stuff as well. Most of the dry food is just rice and bone flour and some vitamins i.e not better at all.
>>
>>2019558
It is not good to shave double coated dogs. Their hair may never grow back, or their undercoat may be the only thing to come back.
>source: professional dog groomer, I work on show dogs.

Look at getting another breed.
Check out the Notwegian Buhund.
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 480x360
>>2019586
Forgot pic
>>
File: doggo.jpg (116 KB, 661x633) Image search: [Google]
doggo.jpg
116 KB, 661x633
>>2019566
Surgery ended up going well, but they're keeping her overnight to watch her

Going to feel bad not waking up to a polite, solitary "I have to poop now, anon" woof tomorrow morning
>>
>>2018861

Theres nothing trollish about wanting my dog to NOT be hostile to other races and skin colors.
Are you serious m8
>>
>>2016714
>Should I invite my black friend over so my dog doesn't end up becoming racist?
Not even /pol/ but that's some nice brainwashing right there. It's a fucking dog not a person.
>>
>>2019668
And i suppose those other posts about fingering your dog aren't trollish either? Fuck off.
>>
So I just brought my GSD puppy home from the breeder and finally catching some Z's as am I.

Just one point of concern is that she appears to be hyperventilating? Just quick, shallow breaths. I'll be calling the breeder tomorrow for advice, but I doubt I'll be getting much sleep
>>
>>2019725
How is that even remotely the same?
I'm white as fuck. All but a few people in my personal life are white as fuck.

One of my best friends is black but we don't hang out at my house like ever.

I don't want my dog becoming hostile to nonwhites since thats what she'll be exposed to 100% of her adolescent life.

I want to know if I should invite him over while she's young in the offchance it'll help prevent/prevent her from becoming hostile to a different group of people, since she will become exposed to more people once she is fully vaccinated and ready to leave the house/backyard.
>>
>tfw puppy crying to take him out for potty at 2:30am
>tfw at least he didn't shit in the crate
>tfw I probably won't be able to fall back asleep
>>
>>2019855
mfw when I got my pup she could already sleep a night from 10pm to 5am.
>>
File: 20151219_080946.jpg (144 KB, 561x996) Image search: [Google]
20151219_080946.jpg
144 KB, 561x996
My 4 month old puppy won't piss or shit outside.

He does it in the backyard but always holds it in whenever we take him for walks until we get home
>>
>>2019899
Take him out on a long walk and he will do it outside, then praise him.
>>
>>2018914
dinki di
>>
>>2019901
This. My 7 year old dog wouldn't pee outside but she'd poop, it was weird. So I kept changing the time I'd have the walks so she couldn't pee accordingly, she'd eventually go when we walked and I'd have to praise her like she was a puppy again.
>>
Opinions on playing tug with your pup? I'm always worried that if I'm too forceful I might hurt her neck, but she def loves it. She's a GSD at 8 weeks, so she's a stout lil' thing
>>
My dog keeps fucking eating shit outside or lunging at shit to try to eat it.
What do?
>>
>>2019899
Teach a potty command
>>
>>2019893
Mine too, apparently this is abnormal because puppies shouldn't be able to hold it in that long even at night?
>>
>>2019931
This is me right now anon. Terriers (the small kinds) are seriously 10/10 dogs.
>>
>>2019964
I don't know, apparently golden retrievers are "large breed", maybe they got extra bladder space? Now she can go full nights from 9pm to 7~8am or so, but that's on week-ends, she gets out earlier on week days.
>>
File: tfw cone.jpg (222 KB, 1301x843) Image search: [Google]
tfw cone.jpg
222 KB, 1301x843
Any advice for dealing with the cone of shame?

It's her first time wearing one, she's probably going to sleep a ton today, but I'm worried it's going to bug her once she starts getting her strength back
>>
>>2019971
Man I can't wait until my dog can hold it in that long, let alone being actually potty trained.

>>2019973
Poor girl, she looks bloody adorable
>>
>>2019971
Good point. I got my golden at 10 weeks and he was able to sleep through the whole night without needing to go out.
>>
>>2019973
>Girl has trouble, gets bandages and cone.
>Somehow manages to eat bits off the cone.
>Have to pay it off.
Goddamnit girl.
>>
File: cone pls go.jpg (116 KB, 976x641) Image search: [Google]
cone pls go.jpg
116 KB, 976x641
>>2019980
How did she manage that?

That's the last thing I need, my pup is wearing the cone because she wants to eat everything that ever was and will be
>>
>>2019984
I don't even know, some day we woke up and she had torn bits off of her cone, somehow. And it looked as big on her as that one does on your pup.
>>
My pup banged her head on something, it looks like there's been a bit of blood and it dried off. It looked a bit pink under her hair. I disinfected it.
Anything else to do? Bother the vet for so little?
>>
anyone ever taken their dog to a dog friendly pub?
whats it like?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.