[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pet Parrot Hierarchy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 10
File: 34636332.jpg (155 KB, 537x810) Image search: [Google]
34636332.jpg
155 KB, 537x810
African Grey > Indian Ringneck > Macaws > Eclectus > Cockatiel = Conures = Quaker Parrot > Lovebird = Parrotlet > Budgie >>>> Cockatoos

Feel free to discuss this (i know some species are missing but i cant be bothered)
>>
>>2130953
Never really looked into ringnecks much, what makes them so top tier?
>>
File: $_86.jpg (59 KB, 668x960) Image search: [Google]
$_86.jpg
59 KB, 668x960
>>2130961
i don't own one but my friend does and i did some research. from what ive gathered they are

>affictionate but not too needy
>good talkers usually
>quite smart

also they arent so big so theyre easier to maintain than, say, an african grey, but they arent too small either, theyre just the right size imho. Also i personally find them very cute and aesthetically pleasing. thats why i put them up there
>>
File: 1460561232698.jpg (35 KB, 512x552) Image search: [Google]
1460561232698.jpg
35 KB, 512x552
>Was looking into getting first bird
>Was thinking either African Grey or Eclectus, but figured a Grey would be better as a first time bird since the Eclectus seem to be a bit more demanding
>Prowl Craigslist for a while, an African Grey pops up in need of a home
>Long story short get scammed out of $450
>Back to square 1, but now with a big-ass cage and toys I bought for said bird
>Was so excited for something nice to happen
Fuck
Now what? Haven't seen a single local posting for birds since I started watching, and the only pet stores with birds I've been able to find in the state are located in a hellhole of a city (It beats out Somalia in practically all violent crime) that's a good 9 hour drive away.

Now what?
>>
>>2131015
This is coming from someone who grew up with birds.

My father was a big fan of searching the classifieds for cheap parrots. Without exception every bird he got from classified was either a wild caught bird or was not hand raised.

Seriously, a parrot is going to be in your life for decades, obtaining the parrot from a shady location is not how you want to save money.
>>
>>2131019
Less about trying to save money and more about trying to not to find one and not get shafted.
Does a non-shady place to buy a bird online exist?
>>
>>2130953
African>>>>budgie>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>others
>>
>>2131015
Genuine question, how does one even get scammed on craigslist? I've gotten shitloads of animals there without issue, and the only way I can see that happening is doing something that screams scam or just getting mugged.
>>
>>2131339
I've never trusted craigslist for anything. Where I live, it's almost always a scam.
>>
>>2131028
Look up local parrot rescues. Either they'll help you adopt a parrot or they'll be able to direct you to a reputable breeder.
>>
>>2131019
My handraised cockatiel baby came from Craigslist ad for $60, other than him being shit at singing (he basically screeches off key) he is a darling.
>>
>>2130953
What's the story behind that picture? Bird looks like it actually wanted a hug.
>>
File: 1461675305753.png (104 KB, 434x369) Image search: [Google]
1461675305753.png
104 KB, 434x369
>>2131339
In all fairness this guy was pretty good and I had to deal with someone non-local. Took pictures of the bird with timestamps, nothing seemed out of whack and he waited on me while I got things ready on my end.
And then when it came time to ship, I got an e-mail from the "shipping company" telling me I needed to pay them a large sum as "refundable" pet insurance

On the positive side, either he or a proxy of his are physically located in the US, and the guy at the Western Union fraud hotline went ahead and listed it as a probable felony because I backed the shipping company's representative into a corner and made a claim that amounts to the fact that if he's telling the truth then he's operating an airline for commercial purposes without the proper registrations, or he's lying and shipping live animals through illegal methods
Best part is that he still thinks I'm not wise to what he's doing, so I'm wasting his time and making him run around in circles until I have a better plan

>Craigslist posting popped up for another African Grey yesterday, different pictures but exact same wording in the ad
>>
>>2131757
http://www.anafricangrey.ca/2008/12/20/so-you’re-thinking-of-getting-an-african-grey-parrot/
>>
>>2131768
The only part of that page that was new to me was the fact that they're comparatively very dusty compared to other birds, was unaware of that but doesn't concern me much as I have already been planning to get a good HEPA filter to mitigate dust problems

>Currently living with parents and brothers until I can move into a house (Youngest brother is 14), they're cool with the idea especially since it's a temporary arrangement (Seriously, fuck the modern housing market)
>Very determined to have a happy and well-trained bird
>Bonus points: As long as he doesn't scream all damn day/cause a ruckus (Which seems like a Grey would be a good fit for), he can hang out with me at work in my office
>No other pets, my folks have a dog but she's an outside dog
>No kids to worry about, and likely never will be
>>
>>2131805

on average large parrots get rehomed 5 times during their lives
>>
>>2131828
I'm aware, which I figure is even more reason to try and find one in need of a home
>>
>>2131851

do you have experience with birds at all?
>>
>>2132129
Not any of significance
I do at least have 2 experienced people at my disposal, one who's had a Grey for 15 years and the other who is a vet with multiple parrots (Mostly Eclectus and Macaws)
>>
>>2132386

if you have no personal experience you shouldn't be looking for a bird with such complex needs under the best circumstances on craigslist to cut costs
>>
>>2132392
Alright then
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>2132392
>Guys done his homework and looking to adopt
>has people that he can talk to to make sure he's not fucking up
>can take the bird to work with him
>is committed and not planning on kids anytime soon
>B-but experience

Jesus christ take a fucking chill pill. You can get around certain things if you're prepared.

You remind me of those nagging bitches that automatically disqualify someone for a fog if they don't have a backyard, even if the owner goes on regular hikes and beach trips and takes the dog everywhere with them.

Sorry to burst your little bubble sweety, but your not the boss, nor parent, of random people on the internet.
>>
>>2132511

>being a stupid bitch

i was going to suggest he get a handraised baby from a breeder or going to a sanctuary or adoption center that allows interaction first since he has no personal experience and anyone selling a bird on cl is probably selling an abused or neglected bird possibly rehomed more than once

if you have no experience with birds it doesn't matter if you have someone to speak to when you're living with one with issues

the reality of the situation might not be as easy to deal with as calling someone else for advice when you don't know how to handle the animal you brought home

expecting other people to be on call for all potential issues isn't a good plan

if you're getting something you intend to keep long term with so many requirements then you don't go to a shady source for that bird

birds with bad issues are best left for people with experience, and cl and a cheap ag parrot are red flags that someone without experience should look elsewhere

is there something wrong with asking someone if they know what they're getting into before they get an animal that's going to be in their lives for over twenty years?

is it wrong to say you don't have experience don't get an intelligent, emotional animal that's been abused get one that has no pre-existing issues instead?
>>
>>2132574
Not that anon, but if you had said all that in your first post then you probably wouldn't have come across so bossy like.

The other anon kind of had a point. I mean you can tell people 'You aren't prepared for this thing', or you can inform them of the downsides, in which case there's no attacking tone or criticism, and then it will sit in their brain a little while and they might reconsider or just take a different option entirely.

It's a huge part of communications really. I mean, I grew up always listening to my sisters advice over my parents just because of the way she put it for me. She always said it in a way that let me think about it for a while without feeling pressured or offended, and %95 of the time I realized she was right.
>>
>>2132754

thanks for the preachy lecture
>>
File: cells-reaction-face.jpg (28 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
cells-reaction-face.jpg
28 KB, 350x350
>>2132796
Didn't mean for it to come off as preachy, but if you want to read it like that well alright I guess. It doesn't hurt to hear other people out from time to time though anon.
>>
>>2132803

>continuing
>>
>>2132805
Lol ok now I get it. You're a teenager.

Alright, well have a good day then.
>>2130953
So is the parot actually hugging that lady, or?...
>>
>>2132808

if i was it'd be a good thing i have an adult like you to set me straight

what it comes down to is you didn't mean to come off like a preachy asshole telling me how to speak

and i didn't mean for someone to read things i didn't say into what i said

when i say something i mean what i say, nothing extra, nothing implied if someone adds their own meaning to it then that's on them

i explained myself further, you don't disagree with what i've said about the bird itself stay on topic instead of telling me how you think i should speak on 4chan and about your sister
>>
>>2132754
You remind me of someone I know.
This should probably go to /adv/, but what would it take for someone like you to face and make amends for awful things you've done instead of running away for years because you don't like confrontation?
>>
>>2133174

people who avoid confrontation are usually spineless and not capable of owning up to anything since it would put them in a position where they'll have to do something they don't like

if someone runs away often when they should speak, or avoids confrontation then don't ever expect them to become a decent person and face problems whether or not they've caused them

people like that are scum
>>
File: cockatiel3.jpg (421 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
cockatiel3.jpg
421 KB, 1280x853
>>2132808
op here, birds have no arms so they don't hug. hes probably stretching or preening, but he's definitely comfortable with being hugged by that girl.

anyway holy shit my thread got derailed. good luck with your future bird anon i guess
>>
>>2133183
Sorry to derail, but that's why I was hoping for an answer from anon.
They seem decent enough. Also introspective enough to how to manage their own stubbornness.
>>
File: IMG_20141008_190550.jpg (481 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141008_190550.jpg
481 KB, 2048x1536
>>
Anon who posted >>2131015 here again
After taking everything said into consideration, I had the bright idea to ask the only avian vet in town if they could point me in the right direction. Lo and behold, their secretary takes in abandoned birds to try and find them a new home. She said she has several birds looking for homes and 3 of them with her at the clinic that day. She recommended an Amazon they had (Looked a lot like pic) as a good bird to start with, because he was very calm and easy to handle (I assume compared to the Macaw hanging out in the lobby telling everyone "Hi" and the female Eclectus that apparently is a hell of a biter).
Additional research pending, I'm thinking this might work out great. Some extra info to be considered though.
>If nothing else, she said she would be perfectly fine with me fostering him for a while and seeing if things work out
>He was found abandoned in a house after a fairly recent flood, but he was trapped in there alone for 2 weeks
>38 years old, and until he was rescued he had likely never left his cage (She said it was like a parakeet cage, and he was too big to fit through the door so they had to cut the cage apart to get him out
>In the 2 months since then he's become a lot more active, has started talking and picking up new phrases, and loves attention from his caretaker
>He doesn't know how to step up though, and she thinks he really wants too but doesn't know how
>He was very calm and quiet until she came into the room, where he started calling out for attention but not extremely loud or annoyingly
>He let me rub his head, though when I tried to give him some food later he was giving me some "mean bites" as he went for the food. Hurt a bit, but didn't break the skin and I didn't jerk away
>Tried to pet him again before I left, he started acting like he was going to bite me if I got closer so I backed off
>>
>>2130953

> Eclectus >>>> everything else

if only because of squeaky noises
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT4y5hpZVcQ
>>
>>2135019
Fission Mailed
Decided on my own that this would be a great idea, went back today to let them know/visit with the bird a bit again only to find out someone was currently driving in from the next state over to adopt him.
>>
>>2130953
Anyone but one of these are regretted it?

I wanted a Conure since I saw Paulie as a child.

I'm not really ready to get one and still young so this purchase is probably off by 5 years. I just wanted to hear everyone's general opinion.

I am also scared I will get bored of it. I haven't had a pet that lives more than 15 years before.
>>
>>2137009

i want my conure around forever
>>
>>2133174
>what would it take for someone like you to face and make amends for awful things you've done instead of running away for years because you don't like confrontation?

What the fuck is this asshole goin on about?

Since when did being good at communication='running away'.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.