[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
tech jobs in a relevant field
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1362956284273.jpg (264 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1362956284273.jpg
264 KB, 1920x1080
Hello /adv/,

Currently, I'm in need of searching of a method of financial income, a job. I'm here to ask some people here instead of /g/ since it's more job-related than technology-focused.

Long story short, I have entry-level experience as a Target Digital Network Exploitation Analyst and in general, experience as an Intel Analyst. I have been offered entry-level positions in the IT field in the past, but rejected them at the time, since I was previously not interested and mainly, they were in a location that I no longer reside near. I also don't have a degree yet.

I simply no longer wish to "dabble" in the intelligence community anymore, but to devote my time contributing help in the tech fields if possible. I am utilizing Codeacademy also to learn some coding basics. Can any tech-savvy folks in the IT and cyber fields help me with advice with finding a tech job?
I've considered on App development as a side gig also.
>>
Go to chandoo and learn everything you need to know about excel. Very important and will give you an edge when you start working.

Regarding tech jobs, the field is so vast that I can't give you an answer. You said you have analyst experience correct? Well then just apply to whatever entry level tech jobs you can and use your experience to get you a job. If were offered jobs before, you shouldn't have a hard time with that.
>>
>>17109252
Thanks, I'll look into Chandoo!
Yeah, I understand the importance of Excel. I once worked with a guy who was an Excel-wizard basically and was able to make cool shortcuts with it and everyone went to him for help. It's definitely is a great trait to have in the field.
>>
>>17109281

No problem. Honestly you are far ahead of the curve because you have analyst position and so they know you are able enough to work with computers and shift you into a position which isn't too radically different.

Regarding your interest in app development, I honestly think front end would be more your alley. I just think having the skills to design web pages a company sees fit will allow you more lateral movement. Check out this article on how to get started if you are interested (this is for javascript).

[spoiler]https://medium.com/@_cmdv_/i-want-to-learn-javascript-in-2015-e96cd85ad225#.3e25vc3ta[/spoiler]
>>
Also, I have a resume that's geared towards the intel field, but will be reworking it into fitting IT-related jobs. Does mentioning self-taught skills like coding hold any real weight?
>>
>>17109308

Yes very much so but you have to know enough of the skill to be able answer some question.
>>
>>17109305
>>17109316

Cool, thanks m8! I have been experiencing a sort of sensory-overload in finding a way through all this and you're giving me more hope in all this, haha. I really appreciate it.
>>
>>17109233
Step 1) TAKE THE BASIC JOBS. Nobody wants to hire somebody who can't even work around a computer, and it's valuable experience showing you're dedicated to the technology sector.
Step 2) Learning how to code is good, but don't rely on that.
Step 3) Look into server management, network management, or database management. You need a specialty.
Step 4) Take the fucking entry-level jobs, for the love of god.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.