[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dreaming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 8
File: Abstract (103).jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Abstract (103).jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
I'm not so sure this belongs here although I can't think of another board to ask this to and like hell I'm turning to Yahoo answers or something of the sort.
>So
As a college student with plenty of homework piling up after working on a play I have begun to nap more frequently. And at times I fall asleep quite quickly and think nothing of the matter when I wake. However on some occasions I fall asleep a little slower. And during these times I approach rapid eye movement at an easy pace and I notice that when I have some kind of phrase or song stuck in my head that I keep repeating to myself I begin to hear things.
The things I hear are sometimes beautifully orchestrated pieces of music, and at other times I recognize peoples voices as if they were standing right above me yelling at me for a brief moment before I wake.
And at other times in the past I have woken abruptly to the screaming noises of crashing planes and one time I could have sworn I heard a nuclear explosion. And recently I had my earbuds in my ears as I fell asleep and when the video I was watching to fall asleep to ended I fell asleep immediately, only to wake to the ascending and screeching sound of some sort of white noise.
>Also when I'm listening to music and it ends, I hear silence and my eardrums feel as though they might collapse.
I feel as though I can hear things from a very, very far distance, but only when my brain begins to function as it does when I sleep.
I'm aware of hearing loss and other sensitivities.

So why do I hear these things? Am I lucid dreaming terribly great things? It's a beautiful realization and I want to keep hearing these things, even the crashes and nukes. I feel like I earn some ancient knowledge when this happens. I wake with a tranquil and relaxed feeling every time. Have any of you experienced what I am describing or have any advice to give on making these things happen again, or perhaps inducing? Am I learning to lucid dream?
>>
File: Color Splash (34).jpg (414 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Color Splash (34).jpg
414 KB, 1920x1080
>>16996471
bump.. with /adv/ approved tits
>>
>>16996471

>So why do I hear these things?
Probably just dreams. Just most people don't remember them so they won't have to ask /adv/ about them :-D

>lucid dream
It is when you realize you are dreaming and then you can direct your dreams to your liking. Pretty hard to achieve.

>making these things happen again
Google sleep stages and then you can try lucid dreaming.

But most of it is just not so scientifically explored area full of myths and hogwash. Hell we still don't know why do we sleep and for what exactly is it good for.
>>
File: 1402945271988.jpg (316 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
1402945271988.jpg
316 KB, 1280x853
>>16996514
There is a TED talks about sleeping and why it is important, here it is, just the bits about why it's important that we sleep. Something to do with having to restore energy and brain function after hours of working. I believe the 'fun' starts at 5:00
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWULB9Aoopc

If lucid dreaming is hogwash, then only those who have experienced it claim that it exists. Like those weirdos who claim they can think themselves into orgasm.
And if dreams are so vivid, and the sounds we hear are just in our minds then why do I wake to them as if they were a childhood nightmare? I mean. I'm an adult now, these dreams have no images relative to those I had as a child. In fact I dream of images less often. Just sounds.
>>
>>16996601
I like these popular science videos.
5:30
>What is the sleep about? Why do we sleep?
>We don't have a consensus.
Next he talks about IDEAS = not confirmed.

>lucid dreaming is hogwash
Never said anything like that. Some people do claim they can do that and that's about it. You can try it, but don't except much.

And myself I don't hear sounds in my dreams. But that doesn't mean anything. The only thing you should be worry is brain tumor if you think your dreams aren't natural anymore.
>>
>>16996601
>I had a dream that I was dreaming that I could control my dreams
>>
>>16996601
Lucid dreaming is a myth. The farthest I've got was a dream were I had telekinesis powers. Once I realized it was a dream the frustration of wanting to form my own dream woke me up.
>>
File: 1406786483272.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1406786483272.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1200
>>16996680
But WHAT if I'm waking from a coma or something. What if my mind is preparing my body to exit a coma in a post apocalyptic world?
I'm lower-class guise I won't be granted Vault status. I mean my genes are nice I'd say, and I do have skills. But why me?
>>
File: fgfdsfsda.gif (1022 KB, 289x373) Image search: [Google]
fgfdsfsda.gif
1022 KB, 289x373
OP not to worry, you're experiencing the effects of the hypnagogic state; the place where your mind is perched between waking and sleeping. I recommend looking it up if you want more information on what you've experienced.

I've had Parasomnia since I was a child, and as such I've studied extensively on dreams and sleep. You have to sift through a lot of hogwash, but there's bits of truth here and there to help you understand how your mind operates as you drift toward sleep.

Incidentally, lying down for a nap is the best time to experience the sensations you felt as you often fall asleep too quickly when in your bed at night. People have reported all sorts of things happening in the hypnagogic state; one famous example is Paul McCartney lying down to rest and hearing the entire melody for what would become Yesterday as he was about to fall asleep. He leapt awake and ran to his piano to transcribe it before he could forget. Artists might see paintings or vibrant colors, inventors could happen upon a solution to a problem, etc. It's intriguing stuff.

At any rate, do be cautious when attempting to influence your sleep. It's very easy to end up in sleep paralysis and let me tell you that's not a fun time. The long story short is your experience is totally natural, and there's avenues to pursue if you'd like to know more.
>>
File: Cyber Punk (23).jpg (689 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Cyber Punk (23).jpg
689 KB, 1920x1080
>>16996783
i hadn't heard that about McCarty, that's awesome.

And yeah, I've had sleep paralysis numerous times as a child, and only a few times as a young adult. When I was younger I would wake in complete darkness and see red lights creeping inside my doorway. And when I was maybe 18, I fell asleep watching 2001: A Space Odyssey. I woke up in my empty house, in my empty room, totally dark with not but a shadow from the street lights outside to cover my wall as I woke.
I stared straight at this shadow to what I thought to be a large manly figure standing beside my door. I couldn't move. I couldn't yell, or speak. And in that moment I knew this was either a nightmare, or reality. And all I could do was fall back asleep and accept what would either be my death, or just another dream.

Thanks for the advice though, I'll try not to worry.
>>
>>16996836
>>16996783
>>16996471
I'm pretty sure what's happening here is basically what happens in dreams: access to the subconscious. Not everyone realizes that the subconscious is way way more sophisticated than the conscious mind. Solutions to problems or ideas for art can pop into your head almost out of nowhere because your subconscious was working on them and then sent them to your conscious mind. I guess when you are half asleep you are not trapped in dreams so much and have more raw or open access to the subconscious.
>>
File: 1407034991668.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1407034991668.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
Well then it's time to give this another go.
I plan to take a nap. I will be listening to Brian Eno, the ambience artist.
I was hoping to find some kind of low volume, inaudible music that could only be heard when between sleeping stages. Maybe I will find something interesting, or hear something interesting. I guess if my thread is still open by the time I wake up I will post my results.
Thanks for the /adv/, /adv/.
>>
>>16996711
The actual myth is that lucid dreaming makes you wake up. Lucid dreams are very susceptible to thought though. It's worrying/thinking about waking up that makes you wake up.
>>
File: Random Art (1).png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Random Art (1).png
2 MB, 1920x1080
OP Here

Welp, just had a nightmare about my last theatre performance, my play. Total crap. Whatever I guess.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.