[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>started university several weeks ago >literally learning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: NOT A FUCKING LEAF.png (15 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
NOT A FUCKING LEAF.png
15 KB, 800x400
>started university several weeks ago
>literally learning almost nothing, because my only lecturer that has basic teaching skills is for the course I'm overprepared for
I have 4 assignments due in a few days, 3 of which I can't do because they demand knowledge that hasn't been taught (most stuff in computer science) or was taught extremely badly (most stuff in maths). And the 4th I'll just get a 1/4 mark no matter what I do because the lecturer dislikes me.
I'd quit at the end of this trimester, except that there's lots of stuff I really want to learn and apparently it gets better after year 1. But still, I'm pretty much on the path for failure, and I have no idea what to do.

Pic related, I go to Victoria University and am desperate to meet someone to help me find my feet.
>>
Fellow Vic student here, what are you studying and who's your lecturer?
>>
>>16971548
>Please dox yourself for me.
>>
>>16971548
I don't know any of their names except my physics lecturer, John Hannah.

>COMP 112: Slightly awkward, rather bubbly guy with glasses
>MATH 141: Speaks engrish and has an extremely weird teaching style, which is why I can't do the assignments because they're problems I can solve in a style I haven't learned.
>MATH 151: Obviously someone overqualified for teaching first years, because they spout mathematical stuff without giving it context or even checking that they haven't left any gaps.
>PHYS 131 (The one course I understand! Unfortunately to the point I learn almost nothing new...)
>>
>>16971554
That information is not going to identify him, he's taking a generic set of classes for engineering

>>16971560
I know you feel like you can't talk to your lecturers, but what about your tutors? Otherwise, have you tried talking to Student Learning Support Services? They're on the bottom floor of Kirk across the courtyard from Hunter. They can help you get your head around these things because that's their job, and they're lovely people. I can't really help with any of those classes myself because I'm actually a law student. My brother's in his third year of engineering and he might be able to help out, but he's not home atm. All I can say is don't give up, you have people you can talk to about this.
>>
>>16971581
>>16971560
Also I'm about to go and make dinner, so I might be delayed in responding
>>
>>16971581
The combinations can certainly identify him
>>
>>16971581
Not engineering.
But I hadn't heard about SLSS, sounds useful! Although some kind of homework buddy would help more...
Also, I'm not sure what role tutors are supposed to serve. My few experiences with them seem to indicate that they have poor teaching skills and many misconceptions.

>>16971590
Wow, you might be able to find my address and order me a pizza!
How disastrous!
>>
>>16971603
I wasn't implying I'd take the time to track down a faggot

I was explaining that the combination can be used to sort through students
>>
>>16971603
>Not engineering.
My bad, it sounds like engineering. That said, it equally sounds like what my math/compsci friend did too. Not important anyway

>But I hadn't heard about SLSS, sounds useful! Although some kind of homework buddy would help more...
Yeah, SLSS is for people in exactly your position. Can't hurt to give them a go. According to their website, there's a maths drop in session tomorrow at 1 and they have all sorts of workshops on all the time. Here's their website www.victoria.ac.nz/st_services/slss/

As for a homework buddy, do you have any friends who can help out? Or even acquaintances? Also are you living in a halls or living at home?

>Also, I'm not sure what role tutors are supposed to serve. My few experiences with them seem to indicate that they have poor teaching skills and many misconceptions.
Well they're supposed to know what they're talking about. Try asking them a few specific questions rather than "teach me this course" and they might be able to help more.
>>
>>16971590
There's no list out there of which students are taking which classes or which classes have which students. Even if I cared enough to try and ID him, it'd be difficult to.
>>
>>16971662
Only people I know are doing compsci.
Halls are too expensive, living at home for now but I need to find my own place in a few weeks.

Also, I forget, is university on tomorrow? Went there today and there weren't any lectures.
>>
>>16971686
Well I would suggest getting a study group together for compsci and look into SLSS for math help. That's your weaker areas covered

The reason I asked where you live is that if you didn't know anyone in your classes, you could look into joining WGTN Hall to get to know people. I believe that they let people join even after O-Week so that's one way you could make friends in your class. Why are you finding your own place in a few weeks anyway?

And no, we don't have uni tomorrow, but we do on Thursday. We have a one-week break for Easter, then we have another break from 25-29 April. Go and pick up a VUWSA wall planner or diary, it has all the dates you need in it.
>>
>>16971699
Those diaries sound useful!
And I'm getting my own place soon because the house is being sold.

Also, is WGTN hall good for if I'm kind of panicking and need to get some help doing assignments I'm totally lost on how to do?
>>
>>16971712
WGTN hall is about making friends and getting to know people, not academic help. I think if you're panicking, go along to SLSS for the math workshops and get a group together for compsci. And don't be afraid to approach your lecturers and tutors, they don't want you to fail (unless they're some of the law lecturers)
>>
>>16971717
My physics lecturer kind of wants me to fail I think.
He's giving me 1/4 marks on assignments that are okay-ishly written but with sound working and answers, probably because we got into an argument after I complained that the course was so low level for me since I did NCEA level 3 physics and fell only slightly short of the PHYS 114 requirements.
>>
>>16971742
Are you the guy who was complaining here about a month or two back about having to do PHYS 131 instead of 114? Also are your assignments not identified done purely by ID number?
>>
>>16971747
No, I don't know where I'm supposed to print cover sheets so I just write my name.
And maybe I was that guy, I believe there's more than one.
>>
>>16971751
Have you thought to ask? I'm sorry if I sound a little exasperated, but it's kind of frustrating to help someone who won't help themselves. So much of your problems could be solved if you talk to someone. If they don't know, they can pass you on to someone who does.
>>
>>16971808
Bleh, I think what I really want is some cuddly boyfriend to help with these things!
But yeah, I should ask general people too.
>>
>>16971560
what? i go to Auckland University and the maths papers you listed don't even exist.

Are you sure you don't mean maths 150/108?
>>
>>16971941
Yes, I'm sure.
>>
>>16971955
ahh well sucks for you, the lecturers at UoA are all excellent even at stage 1 obviously it's just a superior university.
>>
>>16971941
You know OP doesn't go to Auckland, right?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.