[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it worth getting an associates degree in computer programming?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: programmer.jpg (483 KB, 849x565) Image search: [Google]
programmer.jpg
483 KB, 849x565
Is it worth getting an associates degree in computer programming?

It's the only thing that really interests me but people keep saying Chinese and Indians are destroying the market with cheap labor.
>>
>>16895392
>Is it worth getting an associates degree in computer programming?
A bachelor's degree in CS would be better, but an associate's can be a good stepping stone toward that.

The thing about the job market is is that you can't just hack code, or worse, program by copypasta. Any fool van do that, and these are the jobs getting sucked up by outsourcing. To survive in the modern American programming job market, you have to actually git gud. Once you understand the basics, start contributing small fixes to open-source projects: this builds a portfolio that you can show to enployers. In time, work on something a bit bigger: it doesn't have to be huge, but it does need to be your own. Open-source that too, so you can put it in your portfolio.

This is not to say that everything you do should be open-source: only that everything you put in your portfolio should be. Closed-source projects are good feathers in your cap, but it's unwise to show closed-source code to potential employers. Put them on your resume if you have them, but don't call them part of your portfolio.
>>
well really it's that the companies that would otherwise be hiring you at a normal rate would rather pay someone from another country a lower wage and pocket the difference.

I don't know that it's that wise to get into a services job where you're competing with a billion other people for a few scraps, but I'm not sure what the other options are, for any of us.
>>
>>16895392
Google H1B in Tech

thank me later
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.