[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Depressed Intellectuals
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (281 KB, 992x738) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
281 KB, 992x738
Hey adv,
I have this friend who claims to be really intelligent and thinks he's unhappy due to the fact that he's so much more "intelligent" than the world around him (you can thank thoughtcatalog for that one).
As you can guess he's atheist, a total pessimist and doesn't really stand for much as his perspective is "everything is pointless, we're all gonna die anyway" which results in him not finding really any purpose or meaning in his day to day life. He think he's super intellectually enlightened just knowing this fact but fails to acknowledge that literally everyone else in the world knows it as well and we're all just finding ways to create our own meaning and happiness.
He constantly shits all over happy people who are happy due to things like religion or family values or just any general shit that humans cling to for happiness.
He's heavily depressed and is on medication and expects everyone but himself to make him not depressed. I don't doubt he's bright, but personally I don't believe he's more intelligent than the average person. He's no genius that's for sure.
My question is
a) do you know anyone like this?
b) if someone is so intelligent, wouldn't they take initiative with their own mental and emotional health and find creative ways of making their own happiness?
And c) how can I make him see that his mindset is making him miserable?
>>
>>16611093
>everyone else in the world knows it as well and we're all just finding ways to create our own meaning and happiness.

yes, you are all deluding yourselves

literally

he obviously cant do that. i sometimes can, and i sometimes cant. when i cant i am utterly depressed about how pointless everything is and how selfish and cunty most people are.

just be nice to him and invite him out to do cool things. you cant change his mind.
>>
>>16611093
>He's heavily depressed and is on medication and expects everyone but himself to make him not depressed.
The sad thing about depression is, in my experience, this is how it works, and he CAN'T do anything about it himself. If he could, he would have already. No one wants to be depressed.

I understand why people don't want to help someone make themselves happy, but telling someone who's depressed "No one can help you but yourself" is like telling someone who's bleeding out the same thing.

He might be a elitist faggot, but depression isn't something that most people can deal with on their own. If it was, it wouldn't be so common.
>>
I should also add when I've suggested that he should maybe speak to a psychologist his response was "I went to one when I was younger but psychologists insult my intelligence and try to make me feel stupid" which I was at a loss for words with because speaking about and navigating your mental and emotional state isn't an intellectual competition and psychologists are primarily there to help imo.
>>
File: Kayla-McMaroney-inline.jpg (45 KB, 467x557) Image search: [Google]
Kayla-McMaroney-inline.jpg
45 KB, 467x557
>intelligent
>thoughtcatalog
>>
>>16611099
Deluded or not there's no reason to be "cunty" about it as you put it. I'd invite him to do things but we live in different states and he doesn't like leaving the house or doing things like talking on the phone or skyping. So yknow.

>>16611109
Yeah true. I guess it's hard to understand because I've never been heavily depressed. I have been depressed on and off throughout my adolescence but I have the ability to pick myself up eventually I guess I just find it frustrating and I feel like the medication doesn't help him in that regard. It makes him really tired and gives him unbearable back pain apparently. Which he won't see a chiropractor about.
>>
>>16611127
Lel ikr
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.