[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been with my girlfriend for approaching 5 years. We
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 04-lange-m82_288_199.jpg (116 KB, 384x453) Image search: [Google]
04-lange-m82_288_199.jpg
116 KB, 384x453
I've been with my girlfriend for approaching 5 years. We got together in highschool, and we've both only ever seriously dated each other.

We are both loners. In highschool neither of us quite fit into our friend groups, and so once we got together we became incredibly close. We never did the traditional dating thing (dinner, flowers, anniversaries) because neither of us are into such a public display. In the last 5 years she has become my best friend.

For the last 4 years we have been living together away from our families and old friends to attend university. In that time neither of us have made any close friends, and we spend all of our time together (we both give each other space to do stuff alone, so it's not about that).

I'm afraid that we use each other as safety blankets. I feel as though I never had the sink-or-swim moment that comes with becoming an adult. We love each other a lot and get along well, but I know I'll regret only ever having dated one person and never truly growing into my own person.

I don't know what to do. Do I break her heart just because of my discontent or should I stay with the relationship I know works?
>>
>>16603891
Be the one that prods both of you two into going outside your comfortable routine. That is, if you want to prosper in life and experience this idea you have about adulthood, then do it with her -- rather than abandoning her. What I mean to say is that instead of leaving her to do these things, why no initiate these things with her -- this could mean growth for yourself, her and the relationship you two have. And let me be clear, what you have will most likely never come again in your life; don't abandon someone so close to you when you could fix it another way.
>>
>>16603891
>Do I break her heart just because of my discontent or should I stay with the relationship I know works?
The sad thing is that you will do the former but regret it on the basis that you didn't do the latter

But the thing is that you can't stay together and feel content

It's a lose-lose situation in the short to mid-term. Longer term you'll look back at the relationship and remember the good times, but be thankful that you were also somewhat free during your (no doubt) early 20s

Nothing anyone says tonight will change that outcome
>>
>>16603896
THIS. What the hell OP, you're considering giving up something people only get to dream of for FOMO? So ungrateful.
>>
>>16603896
>>16603914
You two are missing my point. I'm concerned we are unhealthily codependant and use each other to escape loneliness. I'm concerned that we'll hit 30 and resent each other for the rest of our lives.

And besides that, I'm not convinced that either of us couldn't find a better match. There are billions of people in the world and I'm not going to assume the first one to date me is my perfect counterpart.

And I should add that our relationship is open, so this has nothing to do with sex.
>>
>>16603960
lmao wut. this has to be a troll. You never mentioned any of this prior in your first post? ya do what you want then scrub u obviously have ur mind set
>>
>>16603913
>but be thankful that you were also somewhat free during your (no doubt) early 20s

I've been single 19-25 and all I did was live the foreveralone life despite having gfs as a teen. I did get to do a lot of travelling tho which I guess is good in a way
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.