[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is 29years enough to start learning programming? I got no formal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Different-Office-Wallpapers.jpg (784 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Different-Office-Wallpapers.jpg
784 KB, 1920x1200
Is 29years enough to start learning programming?
I got no formal education amd I need something to start, something that I am going to do for a living.
Something about me
>nice at math
>fast learner
>I like IT and computers
>high IQ
But I got 29years and most programmers start earning at ~24.
I live in shity country and IT developers earn 2-3x average sallary.
I would go for it but do you think that I am old to start doing it?
Is Java nice start?
>>
>>17320995
No it's not too late, but you should consider CS education, which will teach you multiple programming languages and how to apply those to various projects. Going for a single language is a shot in the dark.
>>
>>17321001
But I want to start at something, Java is easiest and it will open a path to learn more languages.
Also my friend started learning it from home and after 7months he started working for ~850$ a month.
Its nice sallary in shithole where people work for 300$
>>
In my opinion, Python is by far the easiest beginner language. Once you learned Python to a good extent, move onto Java.

Programming languages are just like real languages, once you learned one you know how to learn them all. It's all the same concept with just some minor differences here and there.

If you want my advice, if this is a serious career choice for you go to your local community college and take classes there.
>>
>>17321043
What do you think about 1year course?
I dont have time/money for some college or 4years study program.
I heard a lot of stories that people did some 1yeear or shorter course and invested a lot of time doing it alone.
Also would it be possible to do it by learning by myself on internet, downloading books and tutorials from forums/torrents?
My friend did it t/bh and he is doing it verry good now (job in IT company).
Also anon, am I old with 29?
>>
>>17321049

there are lots of online classes that you can do for free. code academy and whatnot. I'd still get some form of formal education, community colleges are much cheaper than regular. Like $1.2k per semester for a full load, so each class is like $300.

Not really, I'm studying CS right now and there's a bunch of really really old people in here. Like people who are 50+. Average age is like 28.
>>
>>17321229
Thnx anon but I am not from USA.
Eastern Europe here...Colleges are around 2000Euros/year (~2300$) and it is a lot for our standard trust me!
Also it is period of 4years and I will be graduate in 33, I have to work to make a living and to pay that, that is almost impossible to study while doing it.
Thats why I asked about some 1year academy or things like that and to learn by my own.
>>
>>17321049
MIT which is Massachusetts institute of technology, a highly regarded college in the united states publishes most of their courses on a section of their website called OpenCourseWare.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/

that's the link to their electrical engineering and computer science courses if you want to use it as another source of information.
>>
>>17320995
Don't listen to all the "take a CS course" fags anon. Unless you want to stay in academia/do research, formal education is not what you want.

What you should do is pick an open source project that looks interesting to you (like a video player you use or something) and has an active community. Then learn the absolute basics of the language it's written in and start contributing to it. If you keep at it, it will teach you actual practical programming much more effectively than any course. Plus you can later point to your work there in your CV.
>>
>>17321497
also I'm not sure of your native language but they do have some courses translated to various languages.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.