[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
tl;dr what are some neat boat-related jobs? Hey ya'll,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Island Mist.jpg (61 KB, 960x794) Image search: [Google]
Island Mist.jpg
61 KB, 960x794
tl;dr what are some neat boat-related jobs?

Hey ya'll, just graduated from uni with a degree in theatre and music. I'm planning on moving to the East Coast to pursue those things in about a year, but I'm assuming that won't pan out, or if it does, it'll take some time before it can fully support me. In the meantime I'll obviously need income. I've got experience in various 'real' jobs (mostly as a sound/lighting guy for bands), but recently I've taken an interest in boats. Those things are fucking cool, and I love the culture around them. So I wanted to know if ya'll have any suggestions of careers that involve ships, be it piloting them, repairing them, or using them as a base of operations (fishing, marine data collection, etc), or whatever else.

I have no qualms about manual labor, and I'm fairly competent when building stuff, (most of what I've done is woodworking and some welding). My main goal is to find something that's interesting. IMO, shoveling dirt for 8 hours sucks only because it's boring, same with a lot of other job.

Oh, and my experience with boats equals the operation of my family's 19 foot fishing boat we use to get around our island (lolhumblebrag), as well as our shitty 12 foot skiff we put a giant motor on. More than the average person, but by no means very knowledgeable about the boating life at all.

Hope my blog post wasn't fucking asinine. Thanks guys!
>>
File: 1448154407121.jpg (65 KB, 751x418) Image search: [Google]
1448154407121.jpg
65 KB, 751x418
>>17308782
>culture around boats
>lolhumblebrag
>blog

There's probably boats in heaven.
Pic related
>>
If you want a job you need to accept you have no skills of value and people know that.
>>
>>17308823
Don't know why you're so salty, sorry about it.

>>17308826
I've worked as a sound and lighting technician for coming on two years, sir.
>>
>>17308845
Because you're a fucking hipster-ass kid who thinks manual labor is cool. You're probably a scrawny fuck who wears carharts and workboots and keeps them clean and you're definitely a spoiled brat who will waste everyone's time when you apply for a job you'd quit cause you broke a nail. No one gives a shit what you've done, they only give a shit about what you can do. And you kiddo, probably haven't worked a back breaking day in your life you silver spooned fuck. Good luck finding a boating job with your sound and lighting skills you ignorant fuck.
>>
>>17308859
Holy shit you're mad
>>
>>17308863
I grew up on the outskirts of a rich kid neighborhood that was full of spoiled fucks like you. Using your political influence yo keep jobs others needed just so you can feel all "hardened" and feel the "hardships of life". You want to work on a boat? Start doing hard drugs, cause a lot of guys that work on boats do that. What else is there to do when you're out at sea for weeks at a time with nothing to do. Just do the world a favor and tie yourself to the mast of the yacht your daddy owns, and sink it.
>>
>>17308884
Why do you assume my family is rich? We aren't poor, but I have 60k of school debt for a reason. 90% of my job involves moving heavy shit, and I've spent many weekends building stages and rigging speaker arrays for 12+ hour shifts. You think I want to be "hardened"? Shit man, I just think boats are cool, sorry for having an interest in something other than getting pissed at people over 4chan. And in case you're interested, our island is a family heirloom, we didn't buy it on a whim like you seem to think we did, and our fishing boat is from the 80s and was given to us by my grandma after my grandpa died.

Thanks for derailing my thread, dick.
>>
>>17308919
>island
Not the angry guy, but how does one inherit an island and not be rich? Is it just really shitty or something?
>>
>>17308919
Then what the fuck are you doing letting some deadbeat tell you what's what?

Get the fuck off of 4chan, go work on a boat.
>>
>>17308931
Nah, it's super nice actually. My grandpa bought it back in 1972, built a cabin on it, and died. He had a bit of money from being a uranium miner (he spent most of it before my parents met), so in his last years during retirement this was his project, kinda his grand achievement. Over the past 30 years my family has kept up with the maintenance and made it quite a nice little getaway. Probably why I like boats and shit, too.

>>17308942
Live in AZ, no boats here sir. Gotta make the move to (probably) Boston once I save up a few grand.

Didn't know /adv/ was so salty, I just wanted to know about boat jobs.
>>
why don't you become a merchant marine? it's very respectable and you get to travel

https://www.usmma.edu/
>>
>>17309078
Thanks for the input! I'll look into it.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.