[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Been working at the same place for 20 years. Slowly moving up,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
Been working at the same place for 20 years. Slowly moving up, not quickly enough for me though. Always asking for more responsibility, promotion...Finally convince current boss to make it happen. Bosses, boss is leaving, so I go and talk to her about advancement opportunities, she agrees. Re org happens, both old bosses say to talk to the new boss. She says I don't want to make any changes.
Mutual friend turns me on to an opportunity outside current employer. Nail, 1st interview, want me to cone back and see the CIO on Monday. Tuesday meeting with current boss, do I tell her I have another opportunity, just as a courtesy? Might also motivate her to promote me. If not I know for sure she does care if I stay or go. No offer from the other place, not even sure if I want the job. Any advice?
>>
>>17248541
Wait until you get the offer and nail it in her face. You been there 20 years you deserve to be bumped up.
>>
>>17248541

>No offer from the other place, not even sure if I want the job.
>Might also motivate her to promote me. If not I know for sure she does care if I stay or go.

Might also motivate her to let you go.

>Been working at the same place for 20 years.

Are you a time traveler from 1950-1990?
>>
>>17248541
Go to Monday interview and get a sense of possible future there.

Go to Tuesday meeting and see what is volunteered. If little is forthcoming, just say "I've had some feelers from [unnamed] elsewhere. I don't want to leave here, but . . . ."
>>
>>17248557
I doubt she'd fire me or even hold it against me, she's a good hopper herself. And for what, looking for other options?

Subtract 20 from 2016. Realize not everyone who uses this board is 16.
>>
>>17248630

>I doubt she'd fire me or even hold it against me, she's a good hopper herself. And for what, looking for other options?

I would be careful with it.

>Subtract 20 from 2016. Realize not everyone who uses this board is 16.

>Employees Who Stay In Companies Longer Than Two Years Get Paid 50% Less

http://www.forbes.com/sites/cameronkeng/2014/06/22/employees-that-stay-in-companies-longer-than-2-years-get-paid-50-less/#2d020f5e210e
>>
>>17248653
Fuck it, I'll take the risk. Plus five previous, consecutive Exceeded Expectations performance reviews might help protect me from a random firing.

Trust am getting paid pretty well, I can afford a house within 45 miles from NYC.

My current employer paid for me to get two masters degree's.

I could do better, but I am by no means doing poorly.
>>
>>17248767

I am not trying to shit on you, I am explaining what I meant by the time traveler comment.

Good luck.
>>
>>17248787
I am still not sure what you mean by time traveler. The fact that I've stayed at the same job for 20 years and that just doesn't happen anymore? Or am I really missing something here?
>>
>>17248795

Yea, that was the joke. I was also explaining why with the article.

Rule of thumb is "Don't hint that you have an offer until you actually have an offer."

But your situation could be unique. It does happen if you are on good terms with boss, etc.
>>
>>17248796
Well I asked about advancement and she shut it down. So it shouldn't be huge surprise if I look elsewhere. I would tell her I am a finalist and the potential employer asked to contact my current supervisor, so I am just giving her the courtesy so she doesn't get a blindside call.
>>
>>17248820

>I would tell her I am a finalist and the potential employer asked to contact my current supervisor, so I am just giving her the courtesy so she doesn't get a blindside call.

This doesn't happen. People know that's how you get fired, so you don't give manager references from your current job.
>>
>>17248835
I don't know, there was a box asking if they could contact your current employer to verify the information provided. Last few people who left said their new employer wanted to speak to the old to verify things.
>>
Anyone else with some advice?

Say something to the current boss if things go well tomorrow, if so what? Or keep quiet?
>>
>>17249501
Don't say a damn thing until you've got confirmation.

The absolute last thing you want is to burn a bridge and then realise you needed it. If you want to use another job as leverage, make sure you've got it 100% in the bag first.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.