[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Engaged at 20, how do I tell difficult parents?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: x354-q80 (1).jpg (22 KB, 354x354) Image search: [Google]
x354-q80 (1).jpg
22 KB, 354x354
Got engaged to my boyfriend of 2 years, I'll be 21 and he'll be 22 in two months. I'm so happy but scared about ringing my parents tomorrow. I have to call them as I am over 150km away from home. My Mom can be emotionally abusive and I have depression and anxiety so I feel I need her approval. My Dad isn't like her but he's likely to agree we are "too young" to get engaged even though getting married will be down the road a few years. I'm actively seeking work where he lives so we can save up and move out from his parents' house who like me and have no issue with me staying but for now work is scarce in my field as a Special Needs Assistant since the school year finished. I should have a job by September. I do housework and cook and apply for jobs at the moment.

How to I announce the news and if they disapprove politely tell them that it's my choice and that what they say or my age shouldn't be the deciding factor.
>>
>>17217508
>my age shouldn't be the deciding factor.
When you grow up you will realize that it is.
>>
>>17217508
My parents eloped at that age if it's any consolation. They had pretty mental parents. They made it 25 years before my dad's fucked up childhood caught up to him and he ran off.

I wish I could get married but probably never will so at least you're getting married young.

Honestly tho there's no softening the blow. Just gotta do it outright. if it feels right i guess it's right but yr young and probably have a lot of life left to experience. But if it's right then maybe yr just gonna have to push thru some parental shit before it gets good. Idk just rip the band aid off as they say
>>
>>17217508
Why does every 20-24 year old brat think they're so special and older folks know nothing? There's a reason people are saying you're too young: it's because you are. People with much more experience in these affairs than you have are trying to stop you from doing something retarded.
>>
>>17217925
Nah, it's because people are retards, and being retarded can't be cured with age. There are plenty of 40 year olds who shouldn't have ever gotten married. If you're responsible and financially stable nothing should hold you back. My only concern would be that I don't know someone well enough. Currently 20 and been with my girl for 1.5 years, and still learning about her.
>>
>>17217508
You don't tell them . Simple as that. Marriage is a few years off you said? Do the smart thing and solidly get your shit together. Get jobs. Move out. Get stable. Get serious. Then when you have your damn ducks in a row, you tell them.

You know as well as I that engaged and living with his parents screams disaster to any parent who gives a damn about their adult children .

Wake the fuck up. Get your shit on lockdown. THEN let the folks know. Right now you're just riding the euphoria high of happiness. You'll have to look at this seriously and harshly if you want it to work.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.