[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm meeting my girlfriends family today for the first time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: FB_IMG_1460812495437.jpg (12 KB, 518x270) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1460812495437.jpg
12 KB, 518x270
I'm meeting my girlfriends family today for the first time and I'm very nervous what do I do?
>>
>>17200167
Pls help
>>
Just be courteous and talk to them. Don't bring up contentious topics unless you are directly asked, and even then answer them politically (be as honest as possible without seeming like a hardcore believer: "Well, so far I've believed that..." and end with something like "it's a complicated issue for sure and I'm always learning more about it.")

Either way it is probably not going to get that bad unless her family is fucking nuts and has no sense of hospitality or social grace.

Make conversation with them, talk about the following because everyone can have something to say:

Fool
School
Work
Travel
Family
Origins (where you grew up)
Where you live now
Hobbies
Interests
Shit that you and their daughter did recently (Obviously excluding shit like stay over at each other's places, sex, whatever)

You can pretty much talk forever so long as your conversation partner is willing to reciprocate. If you hit a dead wall, like her dad just never speaks more than single syllables (yup. Uh huh. Sounds nice. Ok. Nah. Don't think so.) then give it a go for a while then excuse yourself to refresh or get a drink or something.

Whatever you do, don't just sit in a corner and hide and don't escape with your gf either.
>>
>>17200167
Dress nicely. Be respectful and call them "sir" and "ma'am", or "Mr. [last name]" and "Mrs. [last name]" depending on your regional culture. Don't be overly touchy with your girlfriend in front of them. Make eye contact with both parents, compliment her mother, and ask her father about his job. When the meeting is over, look her father in the eye, shake his hand, and tell him to have to go pick up your wife's son.
>>
>>17200225

consider knowing what you want to say in all this.

know what you want to say about school to try and sound a wee bit smart. make sure you knwo what hobbies you will discuss, even if they arent as prominent as a real hobby, but if they make you look better... just dont blatantly lie if you dont have to.
>>
I dont understand the point of freaking out. Don't over act. And dont put on a front. You want them to meet the real you. Act natural man.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.