[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Change of Plans
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 12.jpg (52 KB, 634x640) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
52 KB, 634x640
I am 22 years old, a former prison guard turned bounty hunter turned jewelry guard turned security guard, and I have been trying unsuccessfully to become a police officer for the past 3 years. I have been to countless interviews, polygraphs, psych exams, and have passed them all but I keep getting passed up for hire, likely due to an arrest (but no charge) from my youth. I have no college, an unstable work history, and I have basically no references. I was raised military, and I turned my back on my family to pursue law enforcement instead of enlistment.

At this point I am not sure if I should 1) Keep trying or 2) Accept it and try to move into being a private investigator or 3) have a bottle of scotch and blow my brains out.

Please Advise.
>>
>>17169536
Maybe the education and work history is screwing you over more than a single arrest? Are you applying for jobs or just to get into police academy?
>>
>>17169553
more on this, I think going to the military first for a time might be very helpful for getting into anything related to the police. Just shows you can handle having a real job.
>>
Applying to agencies. Don't have the cash for a private academy. Have also been applying for positions I'm over-qualled for (like jailer, as a backdoor to a Sherrif dept) but still can't get accepted.
>>
>>17169536
Active or reserve military duty. Since you like the idea of service, consider going EMT, paramedic , or fireman.
>>
Oh, forgot, as for Military I have lone GED with no college, so all branches have turned me down, (xcept for Army reserve - that is still possible).
>>
You're right actually. I guess they are looking for reservists atm. At the least boot camp will get my mind off of this string of failures.

I'll head to the recruitment station on Monday, even if its just to sound things out. Thanks, appreciate it much.
>>
>>17169557
But have you gone to police academy? If so, how did you do there?
>>
Federal employment looks down at GEDs for some shitty reason. look into getting an AA in criminal justice. if you're getting past your early 20s though go into the service and see if you can figure out how to get some college education while your serving.
>>
>>17169557
This is just something I've heard so by no means take it as gospel, but I've heard police really dislike hiring former military guys, due to usually being dickheads that let their military experience go to their heads.

Also, is it normal for private detectives to not have former police experience?
>>
>>17169582
no, I was speaking to your background. I don't know if it's actually true that the military will help you.
>>
>>17169668
So let me see if I got this straight
>GED
>no college
>no police academy
>unstable work history
Like I thought in my first message and pretty much know now, THAT's your problem.

You need to work your way up to police officer. The pay and benefits are good so there will be competition. I think you should do what another anon said and get an associate's in Criminal Justice. Along with that, get a job as a security guard to build up a law enforcement work history.

You need to walk before you can run.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.