[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would it be OK to allow my parents to pay my rent over the summer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: FLYNN.png (589 KB, 453x565) Image search: [Google]
FLYNN.png
589 KB, 453x565
Would it be OK to allow my parents to pay my rent over the summer? They pay for it during school, but I have about 1000 saved. Some of this needs to go to pay off my 1250 in debt but I also feel morally obligated to pay my rent over the summer.

I'm interning full time at an accounting job so no income from that. Rent/utilities would be about 370 a month.

I'm split 50/50 on what to do. I paid for it last year but I wasn't in the same financial situation.
What would you do?
>>
there are some questions you have to ask yourself

>how good is your relationship with your parents?
>are they financially stable or do you know of any depts they might have?
>can you really aford it? it could mess up family budget if you drop in like a bomb and need instant money

i hope you can answer your question
>>
>>17133502
well for anyone else that wants to respond to this thread:
>how good is your relationship with your parents?
pretty solid right now, I think they would agree to pay for it if I actually asked (I have hinted it would help me out)
>are they financially stable or do you know of any depts they might have?
million dollar house they recently bought with a loan I assume
>can you really aford it? it could mess up family budget if you drop in like a bomb and need instant money
My parents can afford it easily, my stepfather makes well over 100k and my mom less, not sure exactly. they don't ever kick up dust over expenses like this, already put two kids through college

I know I can't just expect strangers on the internet to give me the 'right' answer but maybe just a different perspective can help make this decision. It's in some ways less about their money (I don't really care much about my own, it's not worth anything to me since I don't spend it on anything I don't need like food, etc.) as them still supporting me when I'm supposed to be independent.
Haha, I don't really know why I'm going on like this, it's not really making things any clearer even for me who has all the information
>>
i was in a similar situation. good relations to parents, they also just built a house but had the money and i wanted to finally get independent

i simply did it. felt good. but i was also finished with my bachelor degree and can now 50/50 work and study at my masters.
>>
>>17133553
wait did what? your post is kinda ambiguous
>>
I've been in this kinda of situation before OP. My parents were usually happy to help me out with finances when I was a student, but I always wanted to pay my own way if possible.

Can you afford to do it without your parents help? Try to budget how much your year will be and the steps you would have to take to do it without them. Is it feasible? Would it involve loans?

If you can do it without them then go ahead and try. You have the safety of knowing you can fall back and ask them if things get desperate, but at least you'd try.

If you have to take out loans, try asking them to loan you the money instead to avoid interest etc.

Either way make sure you've taken a proper look at your finances before you speak to them and work out exactly what position you're in
>>
>>17133531
imho an internship is more or less like school, it is training to help you get a job. your parents want you to succeed and this will help you do that.

if you are morally stressed about having your parents pay for it ask them if they could give you an interest free loan for rent. it is a favor but you are still being independent and you are using the resources available to you.
>>
>>17133566
that sounds like a good compromise, I think I'll try that
>>
Your doing good at trying to get jobs etc.
Id say let them pay it now and thank them later.
With money
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.