[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
911 dispatcher
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1428891455625.jpg (148 KB, 1020x759) Image search: [Google]
1428891455625.jpg
148 KB, 1020x759
Is anyone here a 911 dispatcher? I'm thinking about getting a job as one because I'm getting screwed at my current job.

Is the job mostly just boring standard work, with a few real emergencies a week or what?
>>
I'm interested too, bump
>>
My grandma did it for awhile. Not sure what it entailed really but she's computer retarded and made good money. Cops are dicks though.
>>
Well I don't work as a 911 dispatcher but I'm an EMT so I deal with them on a day to day basis. It seems like a really hard job because they have to both take calls and dispatch the units which requires keeping tabs on the status of aprox 35 units at all times, which is really fucking hard since almost every single unit is always doing something. Not to mention they always have the bosses crawling up their asses since they dispatch out of headquarters and all the supervisors are dispatchers as well so they sometimes get in there when things get really busy.

Regardless though my company only promotes EMTs to dispatchers they don't hire them. IDK if things are different where you live.
>>
Average tenure of an emergency dispatcher is about 3 years.

Its a stressful shitty job.
>>
>>17009514
I work as an ambulance dispatcher in the UK (we have seperate control rooms for fire, police and ambulance here, because why the fuck would you want to get the job done more efficiently for a third of the price, right?).

75% of the calls are utter shit. People call for an ambulance because they have a headache, or their baby is constipated, or they're old and lonley and want a crew to show up so they have someone to talk to them and pay attention to them for a bit (that happens a LOT). Another thing we see is people who can't get doctors appointments - a lot of NHS surgeries are massivley overbooked, lots of places you can't see a doctor any sooner than 2-3 weeks, which is piss all good if you're in pain right now. So they wait until their doctors surgery is closed (why they think this makes a difference I don't know) then call for an emergency abulance about their sore back. Becase we legally have to respond to every call, the upshot of this is grampa joe dies from his cardiac arrest because all the crews are tied up on pointless shit and no one can get to him.

24.99% are actual legit emergencies. These are quite a challenge, as well as getting the right people to the right place you're trying to keep the caller calm, advising them, trying to convince them to not put anyone else in danger or makes things worse (which people have a penchant to do).

0.01% are the absolute horrors. Like when the person you're talking to dies, or when you're talking to a mother who's holding an irreversably dead baby but thinks you're the person who can fix it, or you get a patient who would probably be saveable but it's a busy day or there's traffic or whatever. They're the worst. Talking to the wife, reasuring her, telling her everything will be ok - when you know full well the husband will be dead by the time anyone shows up.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.