[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a person in my closest circle who I simply cannot handle,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: XMsYFu6.jpg (188 KB, 1024x641) Image search: [Google]
XMsYFu6.jpg
188 KB, 1024x641
I have a person in my closest circle who I simply cannot handle, and I cannot get rid of him either, otherwise I would have done it long ago.

The problem is easiest explained by the following example.

Couple a weeks ago we discussed a certain electronics manufacturer. This manufacturer is very common and quality is above average. For some reason this individual has a grunt towards this brand AND the people using it. Calling them fags, retards, etc. And saying that everything this brand produces is completely shit. If you are a normal human being you can easily understand that every brand has its pros and cons, and comparing it to competitors it is actually much better in certain areas.

Anyway. This does not matter to this individual. Facts does not matter. I mean if you haven been manufacturing electronics for 50 years and is steadily growing, it means you are doing something right. When you point this out, he does not present facts that prove the opposite, instead he starts to insult you, calling you a shill and making fun of you on a personal level (bringing up personal things that are not related to the discussion at all). You can even see the other people around getting uncomfortable and looking at you with "feel you bro" eyes. And he simply continues and never gives up, never. He has to "win" the discussion at all costs.

It would be ok if it was just the electronics brand thing, but this is the discussion about _EVERYTHING_. If you don't agree with him, he will insult you.

I am soon about to go full nuclear on this guy and I'd rather avoid it to all costs, because I know it will hurt me in the future. How can you handle things like this? Is it some kind of personality disorder?
>>
File: 1458508513497.jpg (93 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1458508513497.jpg
93 KB, 1280x720
"anon this company is reputable and makes good material, youd be dense to not see each has its pros and cons"

"fuck you faggots who uses that"

thats when you say "ok" and dip. stop engaging retards
>>
Keep it chill, I know a dude similar to the one you describe. If he starts that shit in a group, just change the subject, and start talking to other people, that's what I (we) did. The guys was ok on 1-1 communication, but every gathering was about him proving that he is always right, or jumping in conversations t show he is the expert on it. He wasn't as "personal" in his attacks, but was boring nonetheless.
TLDR: Just change the subject with the group you are with. It will piss him off immensely, but with time he will stop it.
>>
>>17007568
But Apple is overpriced garbage senpai.
>>
>>17007568
> Calling them fags, retards, etc. And saying that everything this brand produces is completely shit.
> instead he starts to insult you, calling you a shill and making fun of you on a personal level

What if he is right ?
>>
File: 1459915355957.gif (3 MB, 343x400) Image search: [Google]
1459915355957.gif
3 MB, 343x400
>>17007575
is right, how do you deal with trolls on /g/? lol how would you respond to >>17007614?

niggers gonna nig
>>
>>17007575

Yeah, this is basically the tactic I have been using so far. Just "ok" and then try start talking about something else. But I'm near the breaking point, man.

>>17007604

That's the thing. People who always have to be right aren't really hard to handle, because you can leave the discussion with a "poor guy, he does not know better" thought and change subject. But when people insult you for no apparent reason other than fueling their own ego, you get angry as fuck.

Do I have to mention that this guy is very socially skilled on other levels.
>>
First of all apple sucks, secondly
>if you haven been manufacturing electronics for 50 years and is steadily growing, it means you are doing something right
Is a baseless and flawed argument

But honestly ask yourself why you care. Why are you getting upset over some who can't argue their viewpoint? Do YOU have a personality disorder? This kind of thing shouldn't make you go "nuclear".
>>
>>17007641

He is not right, he simply does not understand the things he talks about.
>>
>>17007676
Brand loyalism is typically blind but so is the opposite. If Apple really is that company, there have been tons of threads about why they a better marketing company than tech manufacturer.
>>
>>17007662

First of all, it wasn't about Apple.

Yeah, I have asked myself that question many times, why do I care. But when spending a lot of time with a certain person and you can't discuss matters seriously, it starts to bug you.
>>
>>17007662

I hope you realise you're exactly the kind of annoying person OP is talking about?
>>
>>17008795
>People aren't allowed to disagree with my statements or they are assholes.

I know plenty of people like OP who make a sweeping statement, then get prissy when someone points out why they are incorrect.

OP. Perhaps the guy is a bit of an ass by throwing out personal insults. I won't deny that. However, if you're unable to accept your statements being challenged or questioned without attacking his character (he's always got to be right!), then you're just as bad.
>>
>>17007568
Every time he starts going off about something that annoys you, refuse to engage. Allow him go on and on if he wants to but don't say anything back. Have a phrase you recite in your head, or sing a song to yourself or something so you don't have to listen. Don't argue. If you need to walk away, go get a coffee or a treat of some kind to reward yourself for not engaging. Let go of it mattering if he thinks he is correct. You can't change him, but you can change your behaviour and not reward his.
>>
>>17007568
Everyone has their neuroses. Just blow up on him and feel better about it then.

For the record.... Was it Apple you were talking about?
>>
>>17007568
>I cannot get rid of him either

Oh? Why not?

You certainly could say "You aren't trying to argue a logical position, this is just you being a complete asshole. Either stop this shit or go away until you can get yourself under control."
>>
>>17007568
It goes to show how weak sauce you are for not diffusing the problem.
>>
>>17007568
Every time they disagree with you, just say "yeah, you're right". Say it genuinely, not sarcastically. Just agree with everything he says. He might stop talking to you altogether, or he'll start saying things that are actually kind of interesting because he'a not constantly trying to prove you wrong. He can't prove you wrong if you agree with him.

Keep doing it if he insults you. "you're a brainwashed sheep" "yeah, you're right" "those things you like suck" "yeah." "this thing is better" "that's probably true".
>>
>>17009079
This This This. Tbh a good number of arguments or blind assertions shared by anyone in my friend group is ultimately resolved by some sarcastic inflection of the phrase "yeah, man". It's truly the future of language.
>>
>>17007568
That is some amazing plastic surgery.
>>
>>17007568
honestly just chuckle "okay" and remove yourself from his company

he keeps spouting this shit because he has people like you who just sit there and listen

another option is tell him to get so specific he realises how retarded he is being, feign naivity and keep pushing questions about what makes an alternative brand and why they are so different until he gets tired of talking.
>>
embarrass him socially by reacting in a way that highlights what a dumbass he's being.
"Wow, no reason to get so worked up. What's wrong with you man?"

"Lol no one cares that much dude, just drop it"

"Bro shut the fuck up- it seriously does not matter. You're being annoying"
>>
>>17007568

Ridicule him. Simply, calmly point out, in the presence of others, that whenever he has no legitimate argument he resorts to personal insults. Don't be offended when he does it. Just say to everyone else "There goes John, openly admitting he has no legitimate argument once again."

He'll get the message, and so will they.
>>
File: 1458341345254.jpg (9 KB, 261x136) Image search: [Google]
1458341345254.jpg
9 KB, 261x136
Explain The Argumentum ad Baculam to your friends. its a logical fallacy.

Also, "Argument from Strength," "Muscular Leadership," Bullying, Fascism). The fallacy of "persuasion" or "Proving one is right" by force, violence, or threats. E.g., "Gimmee your money or I'll knock your head off!" or "We have the perfect right to take your land, since we have the guns and you don't." Also applies to indirect forms of threat. E.g., "Give up your foolish pride, kneel down and accept our religion today if you don't want to burn in hell forever and ever!"

Once you have explained it to your friends you need to act as a group to repel this man away from conversation and hopefully later from the group. teaching this to your group of friends will strengthen the values you and your friends have. a value of not making a faggot of a friend in your inner circle again

this source has several logical fallacies that you need to win any internet argument aswell. pls anons learn with caution its difficult making faggots like you more powerful

http://utminers.utep.edu/omwilliamson/ENGL1311/fallacies.htm
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.