[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Film school or CS?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: 1451312825369.jpg (37 KB, 419x402) Image search: [Google]
1451312825369.jpg
37 KB, 419x402
I have to choose what career to pursue. I'm 19 and have the option of either attending a good film school to hopefully become a film director or at least work in film production, or start studying computer science at a great school which I also like.

I'm afraid work opportunities will be scarce after film school without some luck and I'm afraid I will regret not going to film school if a CS career is not what I wanted.

What should I choose?
>>
>>16919719

>regret not going to film school

LEAD WITH FILM, regret it now, regret it forever femanon.

Especially since you are only going to "test" whether or not you like CS, avoid the debt.
>>
>>16919719
>film school

Unless you have Jewish friends who have hollywood connections just study CS,

geezus christ!
>>
>>16919822
Isn't that just a meme? Can't you get into Hollywood with only skill and creativity?
>>
>>16919751
Well, I've done quite a bit of programming and I really like it so far, but I've never really studied it at school or had a job so I don't know.
>>
>>16919719
So you're choosing between working as a software engineer or flipping burgers?
>>
>>16919868
You could study CS, major in it; and have a minor in teathrical studies?
>>
>>16919895
more like between making 300k a year and being on Schlomo's casting couch
>>
>>16919900
Kek duble dubs.
>>
>>16919914
I'm not gonna be an actor either way. I wanna work with cinematography or directing. I don't think they have casting couches for that. Have you seen the people working in those positions?
>>
>>16919719

i went to film school. now i manage a business for a psychic. life is strange. and sometimes, also really weird.

but yeah i dont recommend film school. i dont regret it cuz i used it to my advantage, but you could invest less money in simply buying equipment and producing indie shit.
>>
>>16919933
> implying you'll get the job over Chaim Shekelberg's daughter's cousin's Hebrew school friend

The casting couch is for all positions, not just the on-screen jobs
>>
>>16919933
Dub dubs again kek.. You should go into animation if you think you can pull of being a director of sorts and make visuals..

... Have you ever used/know about Adobe Premiere CC?
>>
>>16919900
I doubt I could get a job in film with only a minor.
>>
>>16919956
Yeah, I've used that and After Effect some but I'm not a master.

I'm mostly interested in directing and live cinematography with an actual camera though.
>>
>>16919960
But your CS major would. You could try to program the engine for the film.
>if animation ofc.

>>16919963

Well that's going to be expensive as shit. But if you really want to start a career in film, you should make a portfolio of demo-reels, which would promote the fact that you know:
a. How to use a computer
b. How to use film rendering software
c. Able to direct an actual film even if it is a short

>cousin works for rooster teeth (youtube)
>>
>>16919937
Huh, why don't you recommend it? Money is not a big concern.

Got any tips for indie producing? I have a hard time finding people to work with and I have no idea how to promote my films.

Anything you recommend I learn on my own that they teach in film school?

Sorry if that's too many questions.
>>
>>16919986
This going to take a while soz.
>>
>>16920009
Thank you for answering. I really appreciate it. You don't have to answer more than you feel like, of course.
>>
>>16920012
Firstly, you need a good story/script/"scribe" in general
Then you look for people to join you who wish to participate/invest time into making it happen

Make your films short, with few actual effects, simplicity is elagance.

Learn to use the film editting software. It will increase your understanding of the production to publication process.

Lastly, watch short films.
>>
>>16920071
>vids that may help

CGI Bros

"Famed" you tubers
Anna Akana

Noob demo reels

They will help you to leaen what not to do.
>>
>>16920071
Ah, thanks! I'll have to learn the editing software some more it seems.
>>
>>16920172
Yes, though I forgot to mention, you'll need to be able to manage stress and time as best as possible.
>>
Speaking as someone in the field, you want to find a university that at least understands the difference between a film major and a film production major. When I first enrolled at UGA, I was a film major, and I learned that that's all theory and history - writing papers, discussing auteurism, and dissecting mise-en-scene. Don't get me wrong, that shit is important and very interesting, but I wanted to MAKE film. Turns out, I was much more suited for the Entertainment Media Studies major at this school (which is rather exclusive - I had to write an essay, have a certain GPA, etc). Now I'm actually learning about film production, making videos, and editing stuff. It's a lot of fun and if you have even a slight inkling to be a filmmaker, do it. You won't regret it, especially if you love it.
>>
>>16920230
So go for a film production major. Not just a film major.
>>
>>16920248
Right. Sometimes, though, a university will combine the two and you just have to bite the bullet. I transferred from another school that did this. A lot of bullshit "Feminism in Film" and "African-Americans in Film" nonsense, along with history and theory, with a few production classes sprinkled in.

Just do your research. A strictly film school will probably offer both.
>>
>>16920230
How is the job market afterwards? What's the most important things you learned?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.