[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just turned 31, moving back in with my folks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
Won't really get into a long set up story but I had an apartment with my girlfriend. We broke up and I didn't renew the lease.

Really the point of this is about what to do with my career. In my early 20s I worked at a security firm that went under, went to vocational school and became a licensed practical nurse. I have been a nurse for 5 years now, pull down about 50k a year before taxes. After taxes and health care? about 40k. This is working 3 12hr night shifts, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I want to make more money. The plan was to go back and get my RN, that would bump me up like 20k a year give or take. Realistically it would take forever since i'm so far behind on English and math.

Coming to you guys about other options, was thinking some sort of computer/tech thing? Something thats easy to do to supplement my nursing gig? Should I just suck it up and go back for my RN? Is there a way to catch up without taking a bunch of sub 101 level courses? Any other options I should be looking at?
>>
I think if you want something solid and secure, RN would be a good place to start. Nurses are always in demand. A lot of work now would be worth it if it can guarantee stability later
>>
>>16894050
Then how do I go about getting myself to a high school level of comprehension for math and English? I took a placement test in my mid 20s and I was like 019 math
>>
>>16894059
You look into whatever school offers the course you're looking at, and see what sort of bridging courses are available
>>
>>16894025
>math

It really isn't that much time (at my school at least) - if you are starting at the bottom level of math you will have to do about 3 semesters of math before you could go into the CS portion and start taking CS classes - which in the mean time would be spent completing the other prerequisites and isn't that much time considering you have another 40 years of working.

>If you study before you go in might be able to test higher into math and English and save yourself a semester or two
>>
>>16894147
Should I go for something in CS? Honesly now that i'm back with mom and dad I got time. I wanna clear 100k a year when its all said and done and i'm open to anything
>>
>>16894025
Given your nursing background, have you identified a service you can offer people (probably older people) where you can help them either get meds, or with transportation? Try setting up your own thing instead of working for someone else.
>>
>>16894285
Computer science is only going to be needed more and more as time goes on. I started at the bottom with math (naturally proficient in English and writing) about a year and a half ago and start the harder classes next semester (engineering major, programming minor).
>33 years old

If you genuinely enjoy CS go for it, good money in the right fields, steady employment. We're living in an ever-evolving technological world where it's only going to get more demanding. If it takes you 1 or 2 or 3 years longer it's still worth it because you're making twice as much and a lot more in demand.

>At my CC there are quite a bit of 30/40 year old engineer/CS majors

The only downside is there are a lot of dweebs and socially inept people, so if you are social it can be pretty lonely and frustrating when people can't look you in the eyes and it's a lot harder finding friends in the class
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.