[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can money buy happiness?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: mansion.jpg (149 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
mansion.jpg
149 KB, 800x600
I'm a faggot born into a household which earns six figures. Can money buy happiness? Are upper class folks truly "happier" than people who earn enough to live comfortably? I mean, a Prada handbag is still a handbag after all and a Ferrari is still a car after all.
>>
>>16592872
It can't.
If you are happy with money, you're happy without it, and vice-versa. Money makes life easier and more comfortable, but not happier nor sadder either.
>>
If you can pay yourself to be happy then I suppose yeah, but normal people don't go to a register and pay 50$ for a bag of happiness.

They buy shit that entertains them, gets them to places they want to go see, gets them out of the house if that's what they like to do. Being able to afford to keep yourself entertained in the way you like can possibly make you happy.

A lot of times it takes more than that though. Some people never know real happiness which consists of having a family or friends, going out, smelling fresh air, sharing conversations and getting some sun with other people.
>>
>>16592872

Money can't buy happiness, but motherfucker it can sure put a downpayment on it.

Have you ever seen the documentary Born Rich by the Johnson/Johnson heir?

Jesus christ their biggest problem is that they have no sense of purpose because they no longer have to struggle to live. Fucking weak shits. They could be funding a trip to Europa or Ganymede but they sit and bitch because nobody wants to offend them. Them and their families, it's like watching a chihuaha and thinking holy fuck, this thing descended from a goddamn wolf?

But yeah, its not that money can buy happiness, it just removes a lot of the conditions of despair.
>>
File: yeah.gif (794 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
yeah.gif
794 KB, 500x300
>>16592872

There have been studies on this and yes, money can buy happiness. The catch is that that only works up to a point, depending on where you live its 70000-90000$. So millionaires are not very likely to be happier.

These findings actually had and continue to have a large impact on my plans in life, I want to make decent money but I don't care about being rich. Nice to have that figured out and to know when to get off the treadmill.
>>
>>16592971
(annually)
>>
File: 1449035499728.jpg (108 KB, 1280x842) Image search: [Google]
1449035499728.jpg
108 KB, 1280x842
>>16592872
u cant buy Happiness u got to earn it
>>
>prada
It's a real shame when people with money have no taste.

Money doesn't buy happiness or wisdom or anything wlse. All it gives you is material security. Having that, you are more free than say a homeless man to pursue fulfillment, but money is no guarantee of anything.
>>
>>16592872
>Can money buy happiness?
Not directly. It can be used to solve a lot of problems, and solving problems tends to make people happy. But there are two major caveats:
1) It has to actually be spent solving these problems; just having it isn't enough.
2) Some problems can't be solved by throwing money at them.

These caveats impose a limit on money's ability to make you happier. The second, of course, should be self-evident, but the first can bite you surprisingly hard if you are not careful.
>>
>>16592872
It doesn't make you happier in itself, but it DOES put you in a better position to be happy..that is if you live in the Western world.
>>
>>16592872
Money alone can't make you happy.

However, it can help prevent you from being miserable, lonely, starving, and homeless.
>>
Money would buy me and anyone around me some happiness. I'd be the worst rich person.
>>
>>16592872
It definitely buys stability, which is a good first step towards happiness. There's a steep drop-off after about 100k/year.
>>
>>16592872
You are less likely to be unhappy due to worrying about money.
You are more likely to be presented with opportunities to get exposed to bad situations, fake friends and other negative things associated with money.
>>
it depends. it can keep you buying stuff that will give you new experiences that you enjoy while the novelty lasts and if you have enough you can keep perpetually engaging in new things. theres also stuff you cant buy with it, some of which many would argue are very necessary for a 'fulfilling' life
>>
>>16592872
I was also born into money. It bought me a free education at a top university, which has allowed me to land my own career that pays 90k currently. I'll top out around 250k in my late 50/early 60s.

I'm 35 now and I have never been truly unhappy. So I can say in my case, yes, money has bought a ton of happiness.
>>
>>16592872
No. It makes things easier but cannot buy happiness.
>>
>>16592872
Yes. Being affluent = easy mode. You can buy jobs, women, and friends. You'll want for nothing and have best of everything.
>>
There was a article done that said that money/happiness stopped at the 70k-75k mark...im assuming this is after tax or something but that is what the article said. It seems reasonable as it is a decent sum of money and if you have a partner who works it goes a long way. That being said..money can also bring sorrow..look at ALOOT if not all lotto winners...big time athletes that go broke and such...
>>
>>16592872
People always say it doesnt but everytime I think of the shit i can do with money, i get happy. Im a poor fag, so I can dream. I would like to go places, learn new shit, meet people, provide awesome shit, move to a place where I have a backyard without staring at a brick wall, hell have a room for myself. Thats shit will make me happy. All I can do at the moment is dream and find ways to get there.
>>
>>16592877
Thia isn't entirely true. It's been proven that wealthier people on average have less stress than poorer people. For some people, a stress free life is happiness.
>>
Money can help buy happiness, but neither last forever. You need to balance selfworth and monetary worth. Don't define one by the other.
>>
Why is everyone saying different shit?
>>
>6 figures
>rich

uh all the rich people i know make at least mid 7 figs +

6 is basically any middle class family
>>
>>16592872
I don't know OP I've never been happy. I can only tell you about myself and see if that helps.

Born into low class family that slowly descended into poverty, so much fucking emotional baggage, mental problems, etc. tried escaping with drugs, alcohol, anime, video games, nothing works anymore. So I would be happy to not live in a cramped apartment with five other people, dealing with their emotional/mental baggage, dealing with them in general. I'd like to have my own private room, my own space to move around in, where I can sleep in peace, where I can just relax. I don't have true friends. No true family that I can spill my guts to, my blood family isn't for that, no matter how much they claim to be then act two faced and lash out. Security is one thing I would love, to own my own home and not worry about it being an "investment". I have to learn how to connect with people again.

If I had the money you claim to have, I could live alone peacefully I suppose and have some semblance of happiness. Maybe it really isn't money that buys happiness but basic human needs being fulfilled, then further emotional/mental human needs being fulfilled.
>>
>>16594424
This. If you're making 100k, you're not rich and your house does NOT look like the one in the OP. If you're making around 280k, then good. Still not "rich" persay.
>>
>>16594411
Because you've asked a shitty babby's first philosophy question, the kind of mantra they give to little kids. Of course you're going to get loads of different, meaning less questions.

>Guys so I was thinking: Is life meaningless?!?!
It's like this kind of question.
Just shut the fuck up already and decide how you want to view things for yourself.
>>
>>16592872

As the saying goes

> I would cry rather sit behind the steering wheel of a Porche and cry than behind the steering wheel of a Dacia

Money is not instant happiness, but it makes things much easier, it removes a LOT of stress and anxiety in your life, even if you have to sacrifice in other areas.

Source: I went from NEET/Dropout/temp worker starving 1/4 of the month poor so I could afford weed, to where I am now, with about 60.000 dollarinos that enable me to have fun, pleasure myself with treats, go on vacations to interesting or just simply sunny countries, and to never worry about the next random bill or parking ticket exploding my entire budget.

Money helps a lot.

But I doubt I would be happier if I had 1million every year.
>>
There's a saying in my homeland that says,
"Money is not happiness, but lack of money is for sure sadness."

So after you have enough to live comfy, the value of the money for your happiness drops substantially.
>>
This seems a good enough thread as any.

I'm a 26 year old male working retail. Someone please suggest me a real job to go out and try to do.
>>
Son of surgeons here. It can buy temporary happiness.

Sure, when I buy the newest iphone(inb4 casual pleb) or play my 4k gaming pc I feel happiness through those things, but it is temporary. I'm still a social shut in and have trouble forming relationships with people and have addiction issues.

So yeah, if I had to rate my happiness I would probably be a 6 or 7 on a good day. I know poorer people who are much more happier than me.
>>
>>16594424
OP here. I never said or implied I was rich.
>>
>>16592872
I think so, ive been working for nearly 2 years on minimum wage barely scraping, week in, week out, i have lost alot of weight and in return none of my old clothes fit me anymore, i also rent my own unit (apartment for you amerifags) which is, nice, dont get me wrong, but so fucking small

I cant afford new clothes, i cant afford bond for a bigger place, i have a limited amount of food and fuel for my car, im not sad all the time, sometimed it feels like im running in place, and i feel as though more money would make life easier, therefor making me happier.

>tldr; yes, i think it can to a certain extent
>>
>>16592872
As someone who grew up poor and later became financially secure - Yes
>>
>>16592872
Money gives you options. More options is more chances at being happy.

It's a grey area, but it strongly sides with "yes it can/does" over "it doesn't/no difference".
>>
A little metapher I find to be pretty accurate. When your life is an engine, money is similar to oil.
When you have barely any oil, it usually sucks. Adding some more oil makes the engine run smoother and more efficient, its running better.
However there is a certain point where adding more oil doesn't improve your engine. It may even hurt it.
And if you just have a shitty engine, you can add as much oil as you want to, the engine just sucks.
>>
Money can't buy happiness, but money can buy security, and less worries make you more happy.
ezpzlmnsqz
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.