[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
this is probably a long shot but oh well
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: other_trades.jpg (132 KB, 840x437) Image search: [Google]
other_trades.jpg
132 KB, 840x437
Does anyone here work in the trades?

If so, which one? Is it too late to become an apprentice at 25?

How do you even get a job in the trades? my local union for the trades takes application once a year and they haven't updated their website in 2 years...

also how's the quality of life with your job? i'm a huge video game fan and i just want to work an 8 hour shift, get home and then play games until it's time to sleep

would i be too tired from work to do that?
>>
File: no-meme-rage-face.jpg (28 KB, 600x511) Image search: [Google]
no-meme-rage-face.jpg
28 KB, 600x511
it is too late. your a failure. might as well hang yourself with electrical cable from a strong tree.
>>
>>16568114
Just work in retail you faggot.
>>
>>16568126
>>16568117
what did i do to deserve these shitposts
>>
You were an insufferable cunt.
>>
>>16568139
sorry about your mental illness
>>
>>16568114
I am wondering the same thing. Maybe look up a trades exploration program in your area?!
>>
>>16568114
i just finished my apprentice training (it probably works differently where i am though)
and i'm 25, too.
so, no brah, it's not too late.
do what you feel is right in the long run.
also a huge gamer and i think that, for me, i've definitely made the right choice.
i will make a lot more money for the same time working than i did before my apprenticeship (can you say that?).
now i only have to find a job in my field that lets me work part time and i'll have enough time and money for my hobbies. (e.g gaming,...)
>>
If you are Canadian military/navy/airforce will pay for you to attend school for a trade. My fiance is doing a 2 year program for airplane mechnic.

Ignore the shit posters they want to kill themselves and try to take their pain out on others.
>>
>>16568114
>Does anyone here work in the trades?
Yup

>If so, which one?
Chippie

>Is it too late to become an apprentice at 25?
Probably not, no. It's going to be more difficult than if you were a teenager, but not impossible. Finding a postition might be harder - I'm not sure about the US, but here we get financial incentives from the government for taking on apprentices, but only if they're under 21 when they start. The other thing that could be difficult for you is apprenticeships usually pay next to nothing (again, results may vary by country) - I got £45 ($68) a week when I did mine, allthough it was in 1993. There's more than one way in though. You might be better off trying to get in to domestic works rather than commercial (working in occupied houses rather than construction sites) as it's not as heavily regulated. Do that for a couple of years to learn the job, then go and do one of those six week trade schools to get the piece of paper to say you know what you're doing.

>How do you even get a job in the trades?
Word of mouth. Any construction/trade job that gets advertised isn't worth even looking at - it'll be shit money, or unsafe work, or you'll do the job and the company will disapear, or they'll be asking you to do sub standard work, something will be wrong to it. Every job I've ever had has either been from me asking somone if they know of any work going or from someone appraoching me. I get new starters for my crew either by asking the guys who allready work for me if they know anyone, and if that fails I ask the guys I drink with on a friday night if they know anyone. Using that method I've never had to wait more than a week to get bodies on site.

Can't really say much about unions as that's not really a thing here. Customer pricing is set by "I'll charge as much as I think I can possibly get away with without them telling me to piss off", and staff pay and conditions are set by "It's £140 a day, do you want the job or not?".
>>
File: 400000000.jpg (35 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
400000000.jpg
35 KB, 480x360
>>16568114
Yes you can.
>>
>>16568247
>>16568114
>also how's the quality of life with your job? i'm a huge video game fan and i just want to work an 8 hour shift, get home and then play games until it's time to sleep
>would i be too tired from work to do that?
Quality of life is pretty good. Your working hours largley depend on how much money you want to make. In my twenties I used to do a lot of price work (where you get paid a set amount for completing a job, rather than by the hour or day) I'd work every hour god sent, but I was doing upwards of £1,200 a week. A lot of our guys now just want to do thier 8-5 (I say till 5, the place is like a ghost town by 3.45 most days) for a set daily rate. It is hard work, but you get used to it after a while, like you would with any other job. I work in more of a management role these days and I actually find office work to be a lot more tiring than being on the tools.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.