[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Graduate of a terrible Art Institute "college." Specifically,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: ai-is-a-scam.gif (2 KB, 100x50) Image search: [Google]
ai-is-a-scam.gif
2 KB, 100x50
Graduate of a terrible Art Institute "college." Specifically, Art Institute of Las Vegas. Didn't learn shit. Can't get out of debt and owe over 70k. Monthly interest alone is $400 a month. Have three kids, illegally living in a 2 bedroom apartment due to family size, don't qualify for government assistance or aid or even student loan deferment. Debt prevents me from buying a home. Can't get a business loan to start a business. Can't get work in my field because my field doesn't pay shit and is extremely competitive. My education didn't prepare me for pretty much anything career oriented.

Does anyone know of success stories where a student successfully sewed the college and won, wiping their debt clean? I don't even give a shit about the money and time I lost going to that college. I just want my debt removed.

Anyone know of programs or assistance I can get help with?
>>
Student debt is removed only on death

Channel your strength into solving your issues at hand now that this is clear
>>
>>16515022
So what would you recommend then?
>>
>>16515117

1. Cut excess spending. Yes that means your cable, netflix, internet, and your smart phone with matching data plan. Frugality in all aspects.

2. Pay off debt immediately, as fast as possible. Once you have positive cash flow again, save until you have a 3-6 month emergency cash fund.

3. Learn new skills that will allow you to obtain work
>>
>>16515140
>1. did that
>2. can't, did you not read the post?
>3. can't go back to school, can't get student loans, can't pay for a new college in any way
New skills in today's market requires proof, a solid resume, or a technical skill like coding, which I don't have. Simply saying "learn new skills" is like telling someone to just start speaking a new language. It takes time and money. None of which I have.

This is the standard problem with today's student loan debt. Are you just ignoring what was said or are you trolling?
>>
>>16515185
Where are you replying to me from? If you answer your home then you are lieing to me about cutting your internet. Sell your computer if you need the cash so bad.

You are just deluding yourself at this point that things are beyond your control when in fact they are well within your means of sacrifice. The problem is not with today's student loan debt but with your inability to plan ahead.

Even if you have no money and no home, you still have a precious resource called time. Instead of wasting it here asking for advice, you could be out working a menial labor job or learning a new skill.

And don't you fucking dare tell me you don't have time. When I used to work as an EMT I was partners with one of the hardest working fuckers I ever met. He was a single father working a graveyard shift 11pm-7am. The guy would do that, and in the mornings go home and make breakfast and take his kid to school. During the day he went to paramedic school himself because he knew it would add $10k+ a year on his paycheck. After his classes he would pick up his kid from her classes and go home, cook, help her with her homework etc. By nightfall he would repeat it again. Oh and on weekends he did hospital rotations as part of his paramedic class.

Motherfucker literally had 0 sleep but still managed to do it for 9 months by the time I met him.

Where there's a will there's a way. Don't give me anymore excuses.
>>
File: 1447744882898.jpg (44 KB, 403x663) Image search: [Google]
1447744882898.jpg
44 KB, 403x663
>>16515022
This is not true. You can get the debt wiped by legal means but it is difficult.
>>
>>16515228
>>16515140
>1. Cut excess spending.

The company I work for gives free access to Internet. Stop making assumptions and being presumptuous.

>You are just deluding yourself at this point that things are beyond your control when in fact they are well within your means of sacrifice.

Ok, I guess the 4th late fee from missed payments is all in my head, too. I must have had poorly planned my 20k debt estimate when it skyrocketed to 60k in just 3 years because "America." Yea, totally should have saw that coming.

>And don't you fucking dare tell me you don't have time.

I'll fucking tell you whatever I want. You are either not reading what I'm typing or are just too fucking argumentative and stupid to understand what is being said. Let me break down my bills shall we?

Out of a 2500 income, I have a $200 a month gas bill. Utilities are about $80 on average. Rent is $600. Food costs around $500 a month. And we are talking shit foods that literally aren't approved for animal consumption. Insurance is $70 but that is about to go up too because they are claiming too many people had accidents where I live. Daycare is a whopping $1200 a month for ONE child. Other two go to school, and are able to walk home at the end of the day. Hot lunch for kids costs about $250 a month. Are you suggesting I get a second job and put all 3 in daycare at night? Sure, already tried that. Costs $2400 a month to do that. I haven't even gotten to any of the miscellaneous shit and OH YEA MY SCHOOL PAYMENT.

So please. Keep on talking like you know what you are saying.

Please don't assume you are talking to a child. I am in a modern catch 22 and the system doesn't work. I don't make enough to cover even 10% of my monthly bill. But I make too much to qualify for any programs that I know of that would help me out. I came here for advice, not someone to make stupidly foolish assumptions and say "deal with it" in too many words.
>>
>>16515008
>having kids
>going to an art school

There's your problem. You're supposed to have a fallback. Art is not a career unless you get lucky.

>>16515296
Stop whining and making excuses and actually take advice. Btw, buying cheap junk meals for your kids is actually more expensive than buying ingredients and making it yourself. Most poor families get rekt by not understanding this basic concept.
>>
>>16515242
Can you please explain where I can find this info? I've read people have done this but I can never find information on who they went to for that. I see class actions all the time about Pittsburg and Phoenix, etc. But they only do it to one school, not the whole organization.
>>
>>16515296
My only thoughts are to quit your job and get on the government dime. Debt can't be collected when there isn't an income. Welfare life isn't all that horrible. Free child care, utilities/rent help, etc. You and your wife could even work like 20 hours each a week. There's a limit on how much you can work a week and still collect maximum benefits. Depends on your state's particular system.

Not great, but meh, that's all I can think of.
>>
>>16515296
Don't listen the other anon. I'm looking up something for you.
>>
>>16515309
Didn't have kids when I went.
>Stop whining and making excuses and actually take advice
What advice are you talking about?
> buying cheap junk meals for your kids is actually more expensive
I've crunched the numbers. I am saving about $120 a month by buying what I'm buying.

I'm looking for advice on my situation, not aimless criticism.
>>
File: david-bowie-china-girl.jpg (20 KB, 700x487) Image search: [Google]
david-bowie-china-girl.jpg
20 KB, 700x487
>>16515313
Look for the names of the law firms that did those cases. Contact them.
>>
>>16515296
well... maybe you could get a family member to watch the kids?

i want to sue my college too though, since i haven't had a job since effing july despite 8 years of private engineering university education, a master's degree, and like 5 years of experience.
>>
>>16515319
https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/whatToExpect.action?page=ibr
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>16515339
This is the Pay As You Earn program. They take out 10% (after taxes, I believe).
>>
>>16515339
Thank you for that link. I'll review that and try and get on board. I thought I tried this 2 years back and was denied, but maybe I can do it now.
>>
Another link to check out:
https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/understand/plans/income-driven
>>
>>16515296
Nice so two things: you could've been working harder at your company or you could be wasting time typing to me. Good choice.

Yes you poorly planned. Good thing you admit it now, sarcastically or not because the government is not to blame for your poor decisions. Living beyond your means is a function of yourself only.

Don't get mad at me nigger. Without knowing your circumstances did you really expect anything more than a generalized answer? At least you are now giving numbers we can work with.

With the numbers you gave me you are a net -$400 in the red every month. Do whatever you want but you'll need to cut things out if you want to survive.

I think it's time for you to sell all your appliances, starting getting used to blankets because you're not using heat, turn off the water when you brush your teeth and don't flush the toilet as often. Buy in bulk or go dumpster diving. Both options are better than eating "unapproved food". I guess the kids can deal with cold food for lunch for awhile too.

You are a child. No responsible adult would have let himself come to this situation.

The fact of the matter is, there is no fluid advice other than to spend less than you earn. As you are in a situation which you should have never been in the first place, sacrifices must be made. Tally up and choose what needs to go.
>>
>>16515369
>Nice so two things: you could've been working harder at your company or you could be wasting time typing to me. Good choice.

There we go with that assumption nonsense, again. Are you suggesting asking for advice is a waste of time? Why are you on this board if not to argue blindly?

>Do whatever you want but you'll need to cut things out if you want to survive.
LOLOMGMYFUCKINGGOD are you just not getting it or what?

>No responsible adult would have let himself come to this situation.
http://www.attn.com/stories/118/graduation-rate-profit-colleges-shocking
Nope, you're wrong. ~25% graduation rate suggests 75% have been tricked just as I have. Another fun fact, my senior year, my college degree become 100% unaccredited and I actually had to remove it from my resume to get the job I now have.

If you aren't going to help, just stop posting. Several links have no been posted that are actually helpful. You are just being a asshole. You clearly just like to make rude accusations and argue with blind reasoning. If you can't see the errors in what you are saying then I'm done responding.
>>
File: american-splendor-1.jpg (120 KB, 400x527) Image search: [Google]
american-splendor-1.jpg
120 KB, 400x527
Even if you go into default it's not the end. Perhaps by the time it comes to that you'll be earning more money.
>>
>>16515413
Are you fucking kidding me right now. You want a cop out, which I won't give. You think a lawsuit is going to help you? A miracle class-action that will solve all your problems and pour money into your shoes? Fuck off it won't happen.

Did you ever think of talking to your creditors about consolidating your loans or restructuring your debt? Did you really seek any advice from a financial advisor?

All you've been telling me is you can't do this and you can't do that and I'm not having any of that shit. You dug this grave now you dig it yourself out. Don't fucking complain to me that all I did was hand you the goddamn shovel and you need to eat dirt.

In fact, even if I bailed you out of your financial crisis all you'd do is get right back in there with the bad habits that's carried you so far.

You ever watch The Pursuit of Happyness? Motherfucker lived in a public bathroom and still came out a millionaire. Perhaps you need to rethink and refocus your priorities.
>>
>>16515499
>clearly can't read
>>
>>16515413
Just curious-- Art Institute has always been for-profit. How did you not realize beforehand that for-profit "universities" are complete scams? That's not new news. It's been a well-circulated fact since I was very young, and I'm 30. I knew before even hitting junior high to never entertain for-profit college advertisements.
>>
>>16515008
grab all the things that they taught you in that school

class per class, asignment per asignment

open up a patreon and make a thread on /ic/ saying that you are sharing the classes -prepare them in video, prepare them with texts drawings and all that-

put them for 5 dollars the class and you are set if you are good enough

I'm sure there's a lot of people who would pay for that kind of education. it's a glimpse but it's worth for 5 dollars a class

I don't know man but you can try, the thing is that you just have to do something, you just have to keep trying, life is like that, a lot of people have it worse than you so don't get bitter with the ones who have it better.

you can do it, you should do it for the kids but you HAVE to try something, doesn't matter what you will know better than anyone

there is no answer to your problem but to just try to solve it, you have debt? then you need a way to get money

can't rob banks? then you have to do it the old way

by working harder
>>
>>16515296
How the fuck you spend $500 on food? You spend that much and tell ys you can't cut spending?
>>
This thread in a nutshell.
Op asks for advice on an ADVICE board on student loans.
Some dumb neckbeard spends way too much energy claiming op isn't doing anything right.
Op defends with lifestyle bills and links supporting assistance request.
Same dumb neckbeard goes on about how neckbeard is right and op is wrong.
Op says op is done arguing.
Neckbeard continues to troll.

The fact the neckbeard is consistently responding with no evidence of claims and then calls asking for advice on an ADVICE board a waste of time means neckbeard is working for the colleges.

Case closed.
>>
>>16515544
>I'm sure there's a lot of people who would pay for that kind of education.
you're wrong.
>>
>be me
>loved drawing
>only thing I've ever been good at
>accepted to private college
>computer animation
>hard as fuck
>looked at as the worst in the major
>failed senior year
>gained weight total fatass beta
>feltbadman.jpg
>dried up my tears
>took out another loan
>worked harder than ever before
>workshop with large company
>internship
>temp
>freelance
>workout in my free time
>muscular alpha
>$150k loan is now $40k
>feelsgoodman.jpg

Anything is possible anon. Failure builds success. Keep your chin up.
>>
>>16515599
Damn, good story man. I hope I can do that. I like to write on my spare time. Maybe, just maybe, one day I can get something published...
>>
>>16515570
Kids man. 3 boys and myself = copious amounts of food consumption. All the males in my family eat tons. We aren't big by any standard either, we just eat a lot.
>>
>>16515544
That isn't a bad idea, but most of what I know now I learned on my own. I could potentially make some training videos and plop them on youtube. Anyone know how to make profit that way? All I know is that adsense or what's it called and I hear it doesn't pay much.
>>
>>16515617
Writing is awesome for the soul.
With that attitude you will anon.
>>
>>16515585
You're right. Most would not, and most people also hate what they do for a living.
>>
>>16515515
It is a predatory system. They feed you lies and give false statistics to embellish their capabilities for students. They claim they participate in job placement both before and after graduation. I was even guaranteed a 60+k job upon graduating. I also didn't hear anything bad about the college I went to nor did I know about the for-profit scam when I went in. I did research on the school, but like I said, everything is embellished or a flat out lie that you don't know about until you attend. That is why they are still getting people and have a 25% grad rate. My school alone had only 4 graduating people in my degree out of 150 students I started with.
>>
>>16515654
Sadly this is true for a lot of colleges I've heard about from post grad students.
A harsh fact I've learned is that 60% of getting a job in media is who you know and how well you suck their dick.
Shameful free enterprise capitalism at work.
>>
>>16515499
>Did you ever think of talking to your creditors about consolidating your loans or restructuring your debt?
I actually just found out about this. I thought I was in a consolidation program, but it turns out it was through the company I owed money to so they just claimed it was all consolidated under 1 account but then all the loans were getting = amounts of interest compounded daily but individually, meaning greater monthly interest accumulation. So I am researching the two links above and seeing what my options are because I thought I was already in that but those seem different.

Also,
Wasn't asking for a cop-out, was asking for advice. You are once again making accusations and assumptions.

This comment right fucking here:
>In fact, even if I bailed you out of your financial crisis all you'd do is get right back in there with the bad habits that's carried you so far.
What?! I mean really, what? I have made great decisions my entire life, but seriously, how would you know this to be true or false? Do you know me? Personally? Have you been there when I was in high school working junior and senior year? Were you there when I worked summers at my fathers company so I could buy my first car in cash and save for a trip across the world? Were you there for me when I lost family members? Do you know about any medical issues I may have? Seriously, do you act like this offline? This was the ONLY TIME I have ever done something on loan and it was ONE mistake. You have no proof of my bad habits or any habit of any kind, thus making that comment completely fictionalized. You literally pulled that one from your ass.

>You ever watch The Pursuit of Happyness
Did you seriously just tell me to act like a movie?
>>
>>16515669
>A harsh fact I've learned is that 60% of getting a job in media is who you know and how well you suck their dick.

This is very true and it's no secret. I've been told this almost daily for the last 3.5 years of college. They've pushed the internship/networking thing very hard. And it has definitely paid off. I have a job waiting for me when I graduate in the spring.

If you know it's required, it's just another hoop to jump through. After 4 years of jumping through complete bullshit undergrad class hoops, going out and making some relationships to build a network is really one of the least intensive exercises you could do in college. I don't know how anyone could fail at it, if they know full well they need to network to get a job.
>>
You fucked yourself on so many occasions

The "trolling neckbeard" is right regardless of how much of a hug box you want this thread to be
>>
>>16515185
Go into construction
>>
Sorry for everyones troubles here.
I was so afraid of being op that I didnt date, didnt drink, didnt socialize. All I did was study and work.

I have 27k debt with an econ degree (lol irony) bc I needed 5yrs and had no help money wise. Still owe 16k 5 years later. Im on IBR fderal payment too and its a godsend when you only make 18k/yr. My loans dont accrue interest and I can pocket the wouldbe student loan payments in an emergency fund.
>>
>>16515727

Internships are more important than the degree.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.