[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think is the most important way to make the world
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10
File: wallpaper-770197.png (167 KB, 1000x708) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper-770197.png
167 KB, 1000x708
What do you think is the most important way to make the world a better place?
If you could dedicate your life to changing one thing, what would it be?
>>
eliminate all religion.
>>
>What do you think is the most important way to make the world a better place?
Connecting every single human on the planet to the internet.

>If you could dedicate your life to changing one thing, what would it be?
Making a fully autonomous AI being.
>>
>>16429034
>If you could dedicate your life to changing one thing
>If

>Implying I haven't.

To answer your question: I believe that global poverty is the problem which is both most severe and most tractable. If you pick the right charity, you can save a life or significantly improve hundreds for <$4000.
>>
>>16429042
This.

Also eliminate every ethnicity AND race by merging them into one.
>>

Abolish the republic system.
>>
>>16429065
> implying you're not just delaying the inevitable
>>
The most important and influential thing any person can do is have healthy children and raise them well.
>>
>>16429034

The eradication of all things monetary
>>

>better place

Welp, we can go in a few directions here. Philosophically, scientifically, religiously, all under an umbrella of subjectivity. Scientifically, I would just kill off all the other groups of people causing unhappiness to the apex group - racially it's the whites. After all others are dead or enslaved then you have a happy little planet. Philosophically, a "better place" to me would be one where I get laid a lot and everyone likes Warhammer 40k and vaporwave. That's not realistic though. Religiously, it would depend on the religion, but the answer is probably the same as the scientific one save for Buddhism.

Realistically
>>16429250
Because that's why you exist
>>
Benevolent dictatorship or a billionaire political guardian.

That's probably not going to happen, for people who want to feel good they should stay close to home.
That would mean small things like doing good work, cleaning up your place, buying the local homeless guy a sleeping bag, paying off your foreign friends uni fees etc.
>>
Nuclear warfare with no survivors and let nature do onto its own without humans
>>
File: 1279255122914.jpg (16 KB, 218x222) Image search: [Google]
1279255122914.jpg
16 KB, 218x222
I think changing human nature itself and eliminating the desire to hurt others would be the only way. Creating the desire to nurture the world around us in everyone.
I suppose how each person goes about that would be up to them though. There would still be disagreements. But maybe we'd be more willing to compromise.
>>
>>16429867
Well I want no part of this "utopia".
Warfare and conquest has greatly accelerated our technological development. The very thing that enables you to read these words was invented by an organization whose sole mission is to kill enemies.
>>
Sex robots!
>>
File: 1445550806687.jpg (287 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
1445550806687.jpg
287 KB, 960x1280
Justice
>>
>>16429576
This is a good thread
>>
>>16429933
i'm not talking about creating an artificial utopia, i would literally have to become a god and start us over from square one for this to happen.
>>
>>16429933
You could have an organization whose sole purpose is to help people. And that would help the world evolve
>>
>>16429933
Penicillin wasn't made by killing people by war
>>
File: Ow_the_edge.jpg (38 KB, 400x366) Image search: [Google]
Ow_the_edge.jpg
38 KB, 400x366
Make a map of empty buildings overlooking a freeway
Get a sniper rifle
Start picking off shitty drivers
>>
>>16429034
1 end racism

2 by teaching acceptance of others at a young age, that were all human

Anthropologist don't even acknowledge race as a real thing because of the lack of actual evidence cuz it's just an illusion for social constructs
>>
I fucked up some time ago and consequences will never be the same. I distanced from an old friend and odds are very small that we are every going to be friends again. All my world fell after this, and I started feeling like I had nothing to live anymore.

I was thinking to kill myself, but then I realised that I still could do something useful with my life. The thing is, I'm still thinking what could I do. Can you help me?
>>
>>16430554
I'm trying to figure out the same thing. There are a huge number of ways that you can do good in the world, it's just a matter of choosing which. Stick around and maybe some nice ideas will show up.
>>
File: 8Y3cw6J[1].gif (2 MB, 230x172) Image search: [Google]
8Y3cw6J[1].gif
2 MB, 230x172
>>16429042
>>16429067
>>
>>16429034
Stop the trend toward eudaimonia-centric philosophy: the idea that, in the most general and objective sense, the most important thing in life is "to feel good." Replace it with arete-centric philosophy: that the most important thing is "to do well".

I believe that if this could be accomplished, the rest of what I want would largely take care of itself. Unfortunately, it goes against the cycle of history: aretists build, eudaimonists take over, eudaimonists fail to maintain, collapse occurs, aretists pick up the pieces, aretists rebuild.

But there's a problem with this cycle: the aretists who pick up the pieces are almost invariably Not Nice, and the current crop of candidates for people to pick up the pieces is no different. So allowing collapse is not an option, but the eudaimonists have already taken over, and aren't maintaining things any better than usual, so it is too late to prevent that. This leaves only one option: break the cycle and spin it back a notch. Not a good position to be in, but what can you do?
>>
File: Songbird.jpg (1 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
Songbird.jpg
1 MB, 1680x1050
>>16429034
I'm a musician, and I have one goal.

I wish to blend all musical genres together (in my own interpretation). To the point where each one gets along with the others, and their sub-genres are seen as branches to a much larger ecosystem.

I know that some people will inevitably dislike some sounds because of personal taste, but if I could unite people through vibrations and through sonic architecture (whether simple or complex), then I could say I did good with my life.
>>
>if you could dedicate your life to one thing

Id want to close the gap. No more third or first world. Just one world, united to better the human race. I know its a pipe dream but ive always wanted to become a philantropist. Amast a fortune and use it to help the world. Im only 18 now so if i work hard at it now, i might be able to do something but even if i was a billionare. Thats not enough to shape the world. Thats not to say its impossible but it would have to be a global effort involving several countries and trillions of dollars. The fact of the matter is that there's enough money and food to let the whole world live in comfort. Its just spread disproportianately.
>>
File: gendo.jpg (17 KB, 399x276) Image search: [Google]
gendo.jpg
17 KB, 399x276
The instrumentality project
>>
>>16431635
The best way to do this is to stop using douchey terms nobody understands.
>>
>>16429034
The entire way our society is run has to be changed.

Particularly, in healthcare, it's absolutely vital to long-term human survival that we stop over-prescribing drugs. Primarily antibiotics and opioids, that would solve the antibiotic resistance crisis and the addiction crisis.

We also need to invest more money in developing nations to break them free from the cycle of poverty.

All those things will require a lot of people to get involved though, and push for change. As for what you can do as an individual, just try not to fuck people over with your daily actions. It's hard enough for most people to just get by without harming those around them, if you can accomplish this you'll be ahead of the curve. And if by some miracle you can do this and amass great wealth, you can make smart investment choices as to where it will help the most people, but even that's unlikely because to succeed in this current climate you usually have to be a ruthless businessperson that crushes those along the way. It's pretty much an impossible goal.
>>
>>16432785
maybe you'd understand what they meant if you weren't stupid and just googled it like any other sane rational person on the internet would do
>>
>>16433353
Fuck off dude, try spouting that off to the public masses. No 'sane person on the internet' would take the time to google your pseudo-intellectual bullshit. We are on 4chan. I guess you feel smart though, because you yourself took the time to google those specific terms. Not the guy who replied by the way, just a lurker who was annoyed enough by you to post a response.
>>
>>16429034
Change the mindset and open it up
>>
>>16432785
that dude was a total boner.

listen the best way to make the world better is to start with the self. can't fix anything if you suck. fix your own fucked up self. the rest will emanate out from you.

aside from that just try not to do any harm and you good probably who cares you'll be dead within 120 years anyway most likely
>>
>>16429034

Remembering the 10 commandments. And live by the golden rule. Treat others how you would want to be treated.
>>
The easiest thing you can do to benefit the greatest amount of people is to simply be happy.
>>
>>16434409
THE EASIEST THING TO DO IS TEAR SOMEONE APART

FEEL THEIR BONES SNAP BETWEEN YOUR FINGERS
>>
>>16432785
That would be why I explained them. But I wasn't just making terms up: they have longstanding uses in philosophy. Admittedly, I don't think I've heard the term "eudaimonist" before, but it follows from "eudaimonia" (a well-established term) in the same way that "aretist", which I have heard, follows from "arete".
>>
>>16435152
Oops. CAPTCHA got wonky there, and I posted too soon. Sorry about that.

So you say my terms are douchey and not understandable. Fair enough; it is true that they are somewhat esoteric. But what terms, then, would you have me use?

I could have used "hedonist" instead of "eudaimonist", it's true. But hedonism has gotten so loaded down with negative and sexual connotations that I don't think it's really all that useful here. I want to speak to a broader problem, and frankly, I want to do so without the moral judgment that the term "hedonism" has come to imply: eudaimonists are misguided, but most of them are not evil people (I wouldn't expect particularly more than in the general population, anyway).

And what term would you have me use for aretism? Again, I'm not sure I know any term that isn't full of judgment, either positive or negative. I am not trying to claim that eudaimonia is evil, or that arete is good. Indeed, my whole statement of the impending problem (that the aretists who pick up the pieces are almost invariably Not Nice) would fall apart if I tried to stage this as a battle between good and evil. My argument against eudaimonism is not that it's evil; it's that it doesn't work.

So I ask again: yes, my terms are esoteric and douchey. What would be better? I can hardly phrase things as "hardworking MURRICANS versus dirty hippies," can I? Nor can I phrase it as "The Establishment versus The 99%". You want me to use different terms? Fine; I would like more understandable terms myself. Reach is good. But then help me find terms to use.
>>
true change comes from within desu.

meditate and eat lots of carrots if you want to change the world for the better! :)
>>
>>16429034

Stop the constant division of humanity by pointless beliefs and ideoligies.

Raise the overall standards for society and enforce the belief, that we all have to put in effort to improve ourselves and the world we live in.
>>
>>16429034
Fostering skeptical and analytical thought in the masses.
>>
>>16435613
I'd call that a later goal. In the current sociopolitical climate, the idea of raising the bar puts you on the side of "the bad guys" in the popular imagination. Eudaimonia vs. Arete again. That's why I suggest the philosophical shift first: a lot of these good ideas aren't ever going to get off the ground until we can once again convince people that there is more to life than their impulses.
>>
File: 1406233124294.png (343 KB, 572x564) Image search: [Google]
1406233124294.png
343 KB, 572x564
>>16436188

Ive learned a great many things thanks to you providing me with those 2 terms.

Thank you.

How do you suppose we could begin an ideological shift in todays society though?
>>
>>16429034

RACE WAR NOW

14/88
>>
File: top snek.jpg (101 KB, 500x496) Image search: [Google]
top snek.jpg
101 KB, 500x496
>>16436188

This is just a kind of looney tooney, hokey pokey theory/thing ive been thinking about recently.

Say there are 2 realities for every individual: "Objective" and "subjective".

Objective is the reality that consists of facts and well reality. Example: There is a box there.

Subjective is the reality that we make for ourselves. The one we have total control over. Example: You can move that box.

So in our society we get a ridiculous amount of information from every single source imaginable right? How does that end up affecting us? How much does all of it affect our subjective reality?

Were being shaped so much by the world around us, that were losing control over our subjective reality. We no longer test the boundaries of our own abilities, as much as we simply give in to the expectations of others.

I think people need to be reminded of their own potential, encouraged to seek out their own desires and be more inquisitive towards what is objective and what is subjective reality.
>>
Well, since you posted the yin yang, let me explain a little Daoism for you. You cannot make the world a better place without also making it worse. Good and bad are the same thing so you can only move them simultaneously. This is called duality.

If equality is your Idea of better, then you have to make everything really boring. Of course that would also suck. Nature is nature, and it is perfect. So really, it's about luck and cognition. You can't change your destiny, but your perception can always be changed.

So heres what you do.
>Educate everyone
People need purpose, independence, and health. Everyone can't have all three, however if they are educated they have opportunity.
>Remove lower class( by creating robots)
The lower class is pretty much there to do the shit the others don't wan't to. Id be willing to bet robots could fill this gap. Then you would help the lower class get better more rewarding jobs.

Tl,dr Make the middle class as big as possible.
>>
>>16441029
for example the lower class could repair and maintain the robots
>>
>>16429034

since you asked about how to make the WORLD a better place, and not HUMANkind

exterminate humankind
>>
File: 4L_scPWbxC1.png (77 KB, 592x554) Image search: [Google]
4L_scPWbxC1.png
77 KB, 592x554
Fucking bump
This thread is awesome
Will post later
>>
Nothing. Work on the inside, not the outside. Can't control society; too many loose ends. All you can control is yourself. If everyone just worked on being a better person, the world would be a better place.
>>
Bumperigno
>>
>>16429034
1) I am awesome, that is not up to debate.
I was born in a Brazilian favela, my family hated me, I never had friends. Now I am on Forbe's Earth's riches 100. If everyone was as serious as me, the planet would be an utopia.
2) I can change anything I want, I am the master of myself and of my envorinment. I am the hammer AND the anvil. Answering this question makes no sense, it implies I can only dedicate at one thing at a time.
>>
>>16429034
kill the jews
>>
I coped with 2 years worth of severe anxiety, depression, and agoraphobia with music.

For a good chunk of those two years I was listening to 1-5 albums per day that I'd never heard before. I can only speak from anecdotal experience, but I feel strongly that music has been a significant factor in my growth as a person.

This may sound odd, but I sometimes think of 'music' as an entity. Over my 2 years, I've come to love and respect music—the beautiful mosaic of the human mind. I'm grateful for everything it's done for me. It was there for me when I was alienated from the more concrete aspects of society. I don't believe in God—and this is going to sound cheesy—but music was a sort of guardian angel for me.

People often talk about how they want to travel and explore the world. I can understand that desire, but my anxiety/depression showed me the pleasures of more abstract exploration. Music helped me recognize the pleasures of being human, and how much of a blessing it is to be one.

It's funny because this post will likely look like a tiny pyramid of ice in the arctic waters of the internet, but it's actually a part of a huge iceberg—a person. Just like you and your posts.
>>
Eliminate selfishness.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.