[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Health and relationships
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 3263797.jpg (224 KB, 980x754) Image search: [Google]
3263797.jpg
224 KB, 980x754
I have a chronic, rare disease.
I rarely get proper acute phases, but when I do my symptoms are:
>pain to the joins (arthritis)
>skin conditions (sores, skin rashes)
>headaches
It is manageable with treatment, even if it is still somewhat limiting even when treated - I get tired easily, if I get stressed I start having light symptoms.
It is not exactly genetic, but a particular variation of a certain gene has been associated with a high risk of developing my disease.
I do have the gene. A lot of people in my family developed the disease in their late 60s.

Would it be a deal breaker for you? Why?
When should I mention it to a new partner?
>>
>>17346380
This sort of thing can be a dealbreaker. Pretty much means it would be irresponsible to have kids with you and poor health starting at (I assume) a pretty young age can be a huge burden.

I would probably get it out of the way pretty early. Maybe second or third date early.

Some people are going to be willing to take the risk or wait to see how bad it actually is.

The more awesome of a person you are, the more likely someone is willing to stick with you.
>>
>>17346386
> it would be irresponsible to have kids with you
I'm pretty conflicted about this.
On one hand, yes, I do agree and that's why I've been thinking about adoption a lot.
On the other hand, tho, I know it's not granted I'll pass the gene, even if I pass the gene it's not granted that it will make my children sick, and even if he gets sick it is mostly manageable.
But at the end it's up to my partner, of course I wouldn't impose to deal with my disease to anybody.

> poor health starting at (I assume) a pretty young age can be a huge burden.
I see my disease as a challenge.
I got sick when I was very young (9 years old) but had an awesome life.
I travelled to over 20 countries, speak 3 languages. I moved out and work since I was 17. I am in med school. I am fairly attractive and physically active (even if of course not an athlete, arthritis is a bitch). I'd say I do pretty well overall.

Thank you for your input, by the way.
>>
>>17346407
>Thank you for your input, by the way.
Sure. I suspect it's more or less what you expected.

By the way, look into hookworm infections as treatment for auto-immune issues. Might be relevant or helpful for you if your symptoms get really bad.
>>
>>17346380
Suppose you were stuck in a wheelchair. It would not at all be impossible to find a loving partner, but it would take a special kind of person to be able to see past the problem and see and love you. You'd just have to hope you found that person.

The same is true here. Admittedly your disease could be a dealbreaker for many. But there WILL be those willing to take it on. It is only fair to both those who can and those who can't to let them know the situation pretty early on.
>>
>>17346439
>I suspect it's more or less what you expected.
Yes, definitely what I expected.
I was more wondering if it would be a deal breaker for most, since I never experienced it.

>Might be relevant or helpful for you if your symptoms get really bad.
I am doing monoclonal antibodies at the moment and things are going great.
I don't have symptoms, get some slight headaches from time to time but pretty much everyone does, I guess.
Thanks again.

>>17346507
Unlike a wheelchair, my problem isn't exactly evident. No one ever guesses I have any sort of health problem and I have a pretty normal life. I actually do better than most.

>Admittedly your disease could be a dealbreaker for many.
It really never happened to me - whenever I opened up about it, people were even more into me (?) if possible. Maybe I picked good people, maybe I've been lucky.

>It is only fair to both those who can and those who can't to let them know the situation pretty early on.
I try to do it at my best. It is hard because I am not exactly the kind of person that likes showing vulnerabilities.
>>
What's the disease called?
>>
>>17346976
Behçets disease.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.