[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey adv, my step-sister is getting a job at Starbucks, and I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: logoburgerking.jpg (55 KB, 451x451) Image search: [Google]
logoburgerking.jpg
55 KB, 451x451
Hey adv, my step-sister is getting a job at Starbucks, and I was hoping to score some points with helpful advice.

Can any former/current Starbucks tell me anything? It seems like there are a load of drinks to memorize, for one thing.
>>
Your step-sister will quickly find out on her own that Starbucks is a slavedriving, corporatist shithole.

She will be payed not enough money to do too much work. She will have to either accept this early on or move on.

Starbucks employees are notorious for their shitty thick-rimmed glasses and a fake, obsequious attitude toward every customer. Add misspelling the customer's name on virtually every cup of coffee for some icing on the mocha.

If she is willing to truly dedicate herself to her shit-tier slave-wage labor job, she will undoubtedly thrive until the time she finds something better to move on to.
>>
>>17321120
Aw shit!
>>
>>17321110
Current Starbucks barista here.

I've been at Starbucks for 1.5 years. The first month is hard. They used to give you 2 1/2 weeks of training but now training is only 3 days. There are a lot of drinks to memorize but most of them are based on the basic easy drinks like lattes, frappuccinos and drip coffee. The good thing is that you start off with the easiest roles, she wont be on bar making drinks (which is the hardest role) until a month into the job. Also if in doubt when writing drinks on the cup, the register tells you exactly what you need to write on the cup and your sister can always ask the customer to repeat the order if she didnt catch it at first.

I think Starbucks is one of the best wage jobs out there
>free drinks and food during your shift
>30% off drinks/merchandise when you are not working
>one free lb of coffee or tea box per week
>401k (traditional and Roth) that matches up to 6%
>SIP that lets you purchase starbucks stocks at a discount
>flexible schedule (my starbucks opens at 4:30am and closes at 10pm so I can schedule my hours around my school classes, which would be hard to do if I was working at a business that followed regular business hrs)
>ability to pick up hrs at other stores or give away hrs
>vacation hrs after working for the company for more than 1 year
>great health benefits
>commuter benefits and free bus passes
>a separate website that has discounts for many products (ex. I get my movie tickets for $9 rather than $13)
>the ability to take 1 whole year off work after working for the company for 10years while still keeping all benefits (but is unpaid)
>free online education at Arizona State Uni
>they cover expenditures for sport events that you participate in (ex. Marathons)
> $1 raise every year
There are more benefits that you can find online but these are the ones I use the most.
>>
>>17321190
Cont. 2/2

I am not particularly passionate at making coffee but I still like my job. The best parts are the benefits and meeting a lot of really cool people. I made so many awesome connections. I used to work in a Starbucks inside a corporate building and we had a bunch of law firms and a big investment company in Downtown L.A.. 2 of my old coworkers got hired for the big investment company and still work there. Let me know if you have more questions, I ll be glad to answer them.
>>
>>17321190
>>17321198

Thanks, man! This is super helpful. She'll be working at a Starbucks inside of an airport, which should be interesting.

What kind of stuff will she be doing for the first month? She has orientation tomorrow.
>>
>>17321120
That's not Starbucks, but that is pretty much any job you can think of. Nice try.

>>17321190
I'm a former barista and I can vouch for everything in this post and it's follow up. In fact, I'm kinda-sorta considering going back...
>>
>>17321289
She is most likely going to be doing coffee tasting and block 1 of her training.

First day is chill.
She will sit learn how to pair certain coffees with pastries (I have never used this outside of training, though). Also she'll go over stuff like customer service, company's objectives and maybe learn how to make a few basic drinks (I mentioned this before but training used to be 2 1/2 weeks when I first started but now it's only 3 days. I didnt start learning how to make drinks until my 5th day but its gonna be a rushed experience for your sister).
She wont be working on the floor on the first day, which is nice, she is probably gonna spend her whole day sitting in the back listening to her trainer teach.

Also, once she goes on the floor, things will get harder because the line can go out the door and everybody rushes to get the customer out of the store. Despite that, it is a lot more important to be accurate than fast so tell her to focus more on accuracy than speed. Its important that she learns the right way. I see a lot of new baristas trying to be fast because they panic when there are a lot of customers and then mess up a lot of drinks.
First month is hard but it all becomes 2nd nature after the 2nd month
>>
>>17321390
Thanks. This is all really helpful.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.