[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
fear of growing old?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: growingold.jpg (24 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
growingold.jpg
24 KB, 500x281
how do i cure my Gerascophobia /adv/? For some days now i have been filled with this immense amount dread, that i wont be able to do everything
i want before i grow old and incapable. Look at this picture. Why does this scare me so much? This is probably the best thing a man could ever wish for, yet just looking at it makes me feel anxious. Im only 19 btw.
>>
>>17244337
You're anxious because it holds the realization that there's more out there and you'll change. You're afraid of change and, perhaps, growth.

Trust me anon, it gets better, a lot better, as long as you pUT effort into it and structure your life so that it has positive people in it and you fill it with good worldly experiances. I'm not saying you have to be all yoga n shit. Go. Drink. Sing with friends. Have cigars, flirt. Travel abroad. Make something. Inspire others. Teach others. Help others. Remember to do selfish things for yourself.

You only get one ticket on this crazy ride man. Make what you can of it. ..just make it good
>>
If it bothers you you should be doing something about it.

You could be working hard to make money to donate to research, campaigning to increase government funding of research (of which there is very little for anti-aging research) or doing research yourself. But instead almost everyone just sits on their hands acting as if we are incapable and helpless despite all our scientific advances.

I'm studying the science behind it and donating to stuff like http://lifespan.io for the time being.
>>
Imagine if everyone in the world gave just $10 a year to medical research to fight aging. $70 billion a year is sure to achieve something.

I give $200 a month and I'd be happy to increase that to at least $10k a year if governments taxed for it.
>>
>>17244358
ï doubt anti-aging technology will be invented in my lifetime, no matter how much i pledge to the cause.
>>
I would not worry about getting old, friend, statistically, we all have a 80% chance of dying before making it to 65, that chance can decrease or increase depending on lifestyle and country of birth but in general the odds are that only a small fraction of every human that is born makes it to old age.

People of all ages are dying all the time, we don't know when, how or where death will claim our lives, you might live to 100 or you might die in the next week in a tragedy. In one hour i'm going out with some friends, who knows if i'll return, it's raining and the roads are dangerous at night.
This is just how it is.
>>
>>17244347
>>17244358
They say there are two kinds of people in this world, and here they are on display!
>>
smoke cigarettes, they're great. fuck anti-aging research, all we're getting is multivitamins and $100 an oz face creams, neither of which actually do anything for healthy people.
>>
You're afraid you'll only do half of what you plan to when in reality you will only end up doing 1% of it cause some dumb bitch baby jacks u
>>
You should read about the work Aubrey Grey is doing with the SENS Foundation. There is definitely hope that we may reach immortality in our lifetimes.
>>
Whoaaa. Silhouette guy got fat
>>
Don't worry about it, OP.
With the amount of time you're wasting here..
>>
Thing is, the universe doesn't care.

Be scared. Be brave. Ignore it. Obsess about it.

Not going to change a thing. You're still going to get old and ugly *if you're lucky*. If not you might die tonight. Or in seven years.

My point being, you don't get an exemption for being aware of it. So do what makes you happy.
>>
Take some acid
>>
>>17244337
OP today I drove eleven hours to visit my dying grandfather (in his late 90s) for the last time. He was emaciated and too weak to even drink from a straw. We talked about the good old days and he had to take breaks to zone out and involuntarily beg for help. Heavy shit to see a family member suffer, but it felt right to be there to comfort the dying. Something about the whole experience made me confront aging and death head on, and I'm not really afraid of it anymore. It's just a part of life, involving suffering but also personal growth and emotional catharsis.

You should volunteer at a nursing home or a hospice. I think exposure would do you a lot of good.
>>
>>17244734
If you don't help at all then you don't deserve anything. Many people are trying instead of just bitching.
>>
>>17244734
Again, this attitude you currently have makes you part of the problem.

You are preventing anything good from happening through inaction - if not for this generation, then the next or the one after that.

Trying means a positive chance of success. Not trying is zero chance. This applies to lots of other things in the world and it really bugs me when people complain about stuff yet choose apathy over taking personal responsibility.
>>
>>17244347
>>>17244337 (OP)
>You're anxious because it holds the realization that there's more out there and you'll change. You're afraid of change and, perhaps, growth.
>Trust me anon, it gets better, a lot better, as long as you pUT effort into it and structure your life so that it has positive people in it and you fill it with good worldly experiances. I'm not saying you have to be all yoga n shit. Go. Drink. Sing with friends. Have cigars, flirt. Travel abroad. Make something. Inspire others. Teach others. Help others. Remember to do selfish things for yourself.
>You only get one ticket on this crazy ride man. Make what you can of it. ..just make it good
>>17244347

Best advice ever
>>
>>17244366
Are you fucking kidding me. What do you think would happen if all of us would not age anymore but have kids like fucking rabbits. Did you ever think your plan through?

Why would someone want to live forever anyways?
>>
>>17247894
I want to live forever.
I think it would be interesting, and it'd be awesome to be like infinitely wise and be able to help people. The countless years spent after the planet is destroyed would suck, but ultimately I'm sure I could find more reason to live. Possibly even recreate life, and start it all over.
>>
>>17247894
>but have kids like fucking rabbits

I am not proposing this. I am not sure why you are imagining everyone on earth getting working together to fight aging then strangely going back to primal reproductive instincts.

>Why would someone want to live forever anyways?
Why not? It can't be any worse than living only until some arbitrary constant of time that was just decided by evolutionary accident.

I would rather focus on maintaining my own or other people's existences than just working to buy consumer goods or sitting at home bored.
>>
>>17247894
You say this now but in reality I think almost every person no matter their age would choose to live an extra year given the choice.

Can you say with 100% certainty that when you are on your death bed you will not wish to be able to see your family or do the things you like for even one more day?
>>
>>17248090
Nope I'm pretty content. Im thirty now, pretty young I know but still I've lived through a lot.
I've got three little kids and I pretty much enjoy my life right now. I do want to live, but what should I say if I'm old and it's time for the kids to live and the world to be theirs?
Also I'd trade my life for theirs in an instant if one of them would be in danger.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.