[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Depression/Anxiety Medication?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: medicine_pills.jpg (68 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
medicine_pills.jpg
68 KB, 1500x1000
I need some advice and there isn't a medical board here so maybe someone can help steer me in the right direction..

I'm 22, turning 23 in exactly 1 week, There are a lot of changes in my life happening right now, and Anxiety and Depression are catching up to me to the point I'm staying the in the shower 2 hours to cry and I can't sleep. Today I skipped work because I honestly cant handle being near people, and I've been borderline fighting with my wife and family nonstop for the past week.. As much as I hate taking medication, I don't have time for anything else, and I really need to do something about this before I really hurt (not physically) the people around me. I can't schedule an appointment w/ a psychiatrist because I never have time during business hours, I work. I honestly have no idea what to do, I tried searching medications on my own but all I get are ads for miracle medicines and fucking yoga.. I just need an over the counter medication for anxiety & depression.. does anyone have any recommendations, stories or resources I could use to find something like this?
>>
File: 1460549620211.gif (2 MB, 360x414) Image search: [Google]
1460549620211.gif
2 MB, 360x414
>>17207933
Antidepressants really can help, but you may have to try a couple different kinds to see what works best for you. I've tried sertraline 50mg (zoloft) and it gave me a lot of side effects, but Prozac 40mg works for me.

It's the only thing that has made my depression marginally better. It's not a magic cure, but for me it sort of numbs my depression and anxiety to where they don't overwhelm me as much, and I can somewhat function in society. I still battle with it.

Therapy is pretty much bullshit, unless you can find a decent one (which is nearly impossible). The ones I've been to just gave me printed off papers about how to change your thoughts, manage anxiety, and bullshit like that. As if I didn't already know?

You don't necessarily have to make an appointment with a psychiatrist to get on ADs. Any MD can prescribe them, so even if you mention to your primary physician that you're feeling this way, they'll likely prescribe it.
>>
>>17207933
Try to take a day off work to go see a doctor. Call some doctor offices while on a lunch break.
>>
>>17207961
I didn't realize my pcp could prescribe psych medicine, that's really good to know because I could see him before work some mornings. I take is prozac is prescription only though right?
>>
>>17207968
My work is very very strict about attendance, I'm going to get an earful from my boss tomorrow I already know, this isn't something I'll be able to do again for some months honestly.
>>
>>17207973
Yeah, anti-depressants are definitely prescription only. I didn't have a psychiatrist prescribe them. Also, a GP can refer you to a psychiatrist if you request it.

One major drawback with anti-depressants is that they can cause sexual side effects. When I was on sertraline, I couldn't stay hard and I could barely cum. But I don't have a problem with the Prozac. But everyone is different, though so like I said before, you might have to try different ones to see what works best for you, and also give the least amount of side effects.
>>
>>17207982
Also, fuck your boss...you need to make your mental health a priority. If he can't understand that you need to take time off work for a doctor appointment, then he's a fucking faggot.
>>
>>17207982
If you set up a doctors appointment they'd have to let you go though. Unless your country has very poor laws. It should fall under some sort of sick day medical leave area. If they don't believe you you can get a doctors note as proof.

If you have an employee manual I'd review it, as well as check over some employee rights wherever you live.
>>
>>17207993
I see, well I honestly haven't been in the mood for sex at all lately so I don't see that as too much of a drawback, regardless I will definitely try a few out to find which ones have the least side effects. Thanks dude.

>>17208003
And yeah, he's a fuckwit. Attendance policy at my job is ridiculously stupid. I'll try to figure out something with HR for this.
>>
>>17207982

Can't you get a doctor's note to explain your absence? I don't know if they require the illness to be specified though, it sounds like something that shouldn't be required for privacy reasons but who knows.
>>
>>17208091
I'll take it up w/ HR but I don't think it matters to them why, people have always bitched about our terrible attendance policy ever since I started here, apparently we don't even really get bereavement days, they use up holiday/sick time and they count as one occurance for all days only if you bring a certificate of death.
>>
File: tumblr_nejhgjM7IS1r3dv20o1_400.jpg (88 KB, 392x397) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nejhgjM7IS1r3dv20o1_400.jpg
88 KB, 392x397
Look up Sam-E. It's a supplement that gets high marks.
>>
Depending on where you live your regular doctor could prescribe you meds. I went to my family's doctor (not a psychiatrist) and said I was feeling anxious, he asked me if I wanted to kill myself and I said no, and he wrote me a prescription. Took like two minutes.
>>
Regular endurance aerobic exercise has been shown to work equally well to prescription anti-depressant medications
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.