[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I seriously can't stand Gen Urobuchi >generic characters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 15
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 225x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 225x350
I seriously can't stand Gen Urobuchi

>generic characters
>kills the only likeable characters
>adds dry comedy
>plots that make no sense
>YURI

Seriously, does he have a loli and yuri complex or something? I can't stand this dude.
>>
>>138949482
(´°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥ω°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥`)
>>
>>138949482
What's wrong with yuri?

Only Psycho Pass had it anyhow.
>>
Isn't he more of a fujo writer?
>>
>>138949509
You're forgetting aldanoah.zero AND madoka magica, if not yuri in it it was definitely implied.
>>
>>138949515
I guess that's more accurate
>>
He's basically the Christopher Nolan of japan. Writes a lot of grimdark, "philosophical" stories within popular mediums which give him widespread appeal, but isn't smart enough to write anything genuinely good.
>>
>>138949624
That's pretty damn accurate. Psycho pass had to be his worst work imo. Complete trash.
>>
>>138949624
>grimdark

What do you mean by this? Is this a positive or negative trait? Could you elaborate as to why?

>"philosophical"

What are you trying to imply here? That there's existential themes in his work that aren't explored enough or something else?

>but isn't smart enough to write anything genuinely good

The use of "genuinely good" implies the existence of falsely good or artificially good. Is what you're trying to communicate that his work is in fact poorly made due to some critical incompetence? Could you explain to me an example of this in his work and how maybe a more competent writer could have handled it?
>>
>>138949509
Degeneracy
>>
>>138949744
Notice how this is the type of person that is generally a hardcore Urobuchi fan; someone of average intellect but thinks very highly of themselves, and they utilize every bit of 10th grade english they recently learned in an effort to appear smart and draw out a pointless, monotonous argument about their lord and savior.
>>
File: 1633_render_Saya.png (852 KB, 780x785) Image search: [Google]
1633_render_Saya.png
852 KB, 780x785
Saya no Uta was probably his best work, I don't know if he has enough originality to top it. I did enjoy Madoka and Fate/Zero though. Waiting until I can read them in Japanese to read Kikokugai or Phantom.
>>
>>138949841
HAHAHAHHAHAHA
>>
>>138949871
>Saya no Uta was probably his best work

Here comes the hipstery.
>>
File: Saya_no_Uta_cover.jpg (39 KB, 265x373) Image search: [Google]
Saya_no_Uta_cover.jpg
39 KB, 265x373
>>138949871
Oh god what is that image, it looked fine from the thumbnail when I was picking one. Why'd I even save that?
>>
>>138949894
Have you read it? I don't really see how that's hipstery though.
>>
>>138949624
But anon, Gaim was good.
>>
File: newtype poster.jpg (124 KB, 600x813) Image search: [Google]
newtype poster.jpg
124 KB, 600x813
>Psycho Pass Season 3 hinted at by Twitter of Production IG Producer
>This poster and a four page section will be in the next Newtype
He's never going away OP

He's going to be popular FOREVER
>>
I watched Madoka and it was cool, not really any fault of the writing though.
>>
>>138949482
>>generic characters
>>kills the only likeable characters
>>adds dry comedy
That's most manga, though.

>plots that make no sense
Few series are guilty of that.
>>
>>138949841
A query is not an attack. I simply want to understand. I barely remember Psycho-pass and although I feel very strongly emotionally about Madoka but once again I don't remember *that much*. So I'd like to hear some criticisms of his work if only to jog my fucking memory or gee I don't fucking know read your actual thoughts and opinions.
>>
>>138949919
I did long years ago and I think Madoka (TV and movie) was definitely his best work.
>>
>>138949482
>YURI
man with fine taste
>>
Madoka was his only good work
>>
>>138949924
>inb4 he won't be involved in any of those
>>
>>138949482

Seems you never watched Gaim, anon
>>
>>138949982
Yuri pisses me off. I'm not really a romance fan as it is ffs.
>>
>>138949959
Fair enough. I definitely think it's his best anime work and it became one of my favorites when I watched it a second time (wonder if there's any others out there that are like this, because it seemed good but nothing amazing the first time around), but /a/ has a hateboner for Madoka so praising it at all tends to cause arguments.
>>
File: fufufu.png (620 KB, 504x474) Image search: [Google]
fufufu.png
620 KB, 504x474
>>138949744
>there's existential themes in his work that aren't explored enough or something else
>>
>>138950053
Kudos to you for not getting mad or defensive. Cheers Anon.
>>
itt: Plebs who haven't watched Gaim
>>
>>138949482
I am an atheist and urobuchi is the best!!
>>
>>138950093
I've heard from fans of it that it's his best, but I haven't given it a try admittedly. Do I need to watch other series first to fully appreciate it or can I just jump in?
>>
>>138950183
Just jump in.
>>
>>138950213
Isn't Kamen Raider basically Super Sentai?
>>
>>138950183
You can jump in. The parts connected to other series are just movies and tv specials that only receive very minor references in the tv show and weren't written by Urobuchi anyway. Although the final movie, in spite of being a crossover not written by Urobuchi actually is a pretty great epilogue for the series.

Still, Gaim has its own problems too. Its main advantage is that due to being longer it allows much better build up to the twists and drama, but the initial set up is kind of awkward since Urobuchi wasn't allowed to use street gang members as protagonists.
>>
>>138949871
It was his only tolerable VN.

Meanwhile, all the rest of Gen's VNs are pure trash.

Without Madoka, Gen would have likely faded away.

It was like 9 years since his last VN that he even released anything for Nitro+ after all.

That is a pretty long hiatus but good thing, better Nitro+ writers had started being hired in those 9 years.
>>
Are you forging your opinion after having seen Psycho-Pass only? Because yeah, this show is shit, I dropped after 3 episodes because I couldn't stand how stupid it was. Literally all of the themes were laid bare in the first episode, they painted it all with cheap gore to look mature, then discarded everything for some random garbage daily adventures.

But I'm watching Fate/Zero right now and every episode is great. Madoka and Saya no Uta were great as well. Just for that, I cannot say anything bad about him.
>>
>>138950594
>0594▶
>Are you forging your opinion after having se
I've watched Psycho Pass, Madoka Magica, and Aldnoah.Zero. Not all his works are bad but most are pretty average. Madoka wasn't too bad, not a masterpiece, but good.
>>
>>138950646
Oh, A;Z? It's one of the few shows that I actually dropped after the first episode because it was just stupid. You can't have a big plot event directly at the start of a story when the characters have barely been introduced, that's just bad writing. Go watch Fate/Zero.
>>
>>138950896
>Go watch Fate/Zero.
Should probably be noted that if he's not familiar with F/sn, especially Heaven's Feel, the first episode will probably be confusing and the series in general will lose a lot of its impact. It was written with the assumption that you're already familiar with F/sn and know how it's going to end, so if he jumps right in without reading F/sn first, he won't really be able to fairly judge the writing in Fate/Zero either.
>>
>>138951074
Nigga, I only read the Fate route and I had to force myself to watch Fate/Zero despite how people's good opinion of this show because of how much of a shitfest it was. I barely started UBW and I couldn't stand it so I just jumped to the anime. And I don't regret it.
>>
>>138950438
>shitting on Kikokugai
Fuck you m8
It might not be "deep", but it sure as fuck was cool and fun
You can't go wrong with using kung fu to kill triad cyborgs in cyberpunk China
>>
>>138951163
>I only read the Fate route
The Fate route was the worst route and doesn't carry that much relevance to Fate/Zero compared to Heaven's Feel or even UBW outside of a few comments Saber made. Heaven's Feel is the route that matters the most in terms of appreciating Fate/Zero. Fate/Zero just isn't that good without the full context of F/sn. I thought it was a really average show with really good visuals when I first watched it, then I watched it again after reading all of the main endings / a bunch of bad endings in F/sn and it became one of my favorites.

Hopefully the Heaven's Feel adaptations won't be rushed and will be good, because it's a bit of a shame having to point people to a VN with a bad TL and terrible pacing to appreciate it.
>>
>>138949624
The fight between Kiritsugu and Kotomine was straight out of The Dark Knight in the anime adaption
>>
File: type-moon fes 2012.jpg (100 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
type-moon fes 2012.jpg
100 KB, 1920x1080
>>138951298
https://youtu.be/TG9MFbCIArI
>>
>>138949924
Was he coming back for Psycho Pass 3?

Was pretty disappointed with the second season.
>>
>>138949482
Only good thing he's done is Saya no Uta.
>>
>>138951702
>shitting on Gaim
>shitting on Kikokugai
shit taste
Can't talk about Phantom because the decision to release the translation as a DVD made it obnoxious to read, and an adaptation is not enough to judge the sourc material
His other works are untranslated, so I can't comment on them
You are allowed to shit on his anime work if you want. I don't care
>>
>>138949920
Fuck off Gaimbabby.
>>
Honestly, the only series of his I saw the grimdark complaints really apply to was Requiem for the Phantom.
>>
File: whatmakesyouthinkimnot.jpg (89 KB, 1679x696) Image search: [Google]
whatmakesyouthinkimnot.jpg
89 KB, 1679x696
>>138949624
and then he peppers it with pseudo feminist garbage too, my god you're right

bravo gen, I love you
>>
>>138951920
Fuck off with your hateboner
>>
>>138951964
Interstellar was neither grimdark nor philosophical. And it wasn't good either.
>>
>>138951976
Then tell me why it's good, faggot.
>>
People aren't serious about disliking Urobuchi right? He's one of the most technically proficient anime writers out there.
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 259x194
I like Gen. I think he makes good work.
>>
>>138952112
You'll just dismiss my post as shit taste or whatever. Why bother?
>>
>>138952085
nolan completely changed the script from the mechanics of time travel to hipster philosophizing
>>
Watch Gaim, anons.
>>
>>138952291
The one that its only likeable character went missing for 90% of it?
>>
>>138950332
It's a slightly less "kiddy" franchise, but that's largely from a western perspective. It's still a Japanese kids' show. Even Super Sentai varies in that regard from show to show.

Gaim in particular is pretty well put together, if you can stomach the toyetic nature of the weapons and transformation items. In general, people die, there's some weird psychological breakdowns, shit gets kinda heavy in places, but it's ultimately a pretty straightforward good end. This show also, in particular, has a really outrageous fruit theme, which can undercut some of the serious moments. I got used to it, though.

Skip the Kikaider and Soccer movie tie-ins. Kikaider was kind of amusing, but both episodes are pretty pointless overall, and aired smack dab in the middle of the final arc shifting into full swing.
>>
>>138949482
Don't know, but loli + yuri is A-OK in my book. Keep doing your thing, Urobucher.
>>
>>138949624
You can't really compare a director to a writer like this. Urobuchi's strength is his character dialogue. Scenes like the banquet in Fate/Zero, the dual wielding incident in Psycho Pass or the scenes with Madoka and her mother, or the scenes with Kyouko antagonizing Sayaka, in Madoka Magica. Great memorable character-building moments like that are what define Urobuchi.

Christopher Nolan films have nothing of the sort, they're just fast-paced action films with good music direction. And even if they contain some good acting, the writing is never what's particularly good. Consider that one of his most popular films contained writing so laughably bad that it became one of the most quoted memes in 4chan history.
>>
>>138949482
I prefer him sticking to VN.
>>
>>138949482
>loli and yuri complex
I'm not gonna complain.
>>
>>138949509
>What's wrong with yuri?
way too much romantic bullshit. it pisses me off
>>
Nasu: I told Aniplex's producer that I wanted the Fate/Zero novels turned into an anime. It was a good suggestion.

Many anime fans want there to be a lot of cute bishoujo characters in the work, and while they work hard to meet those needs, Iwakami, an important producer at Aniplex, wasn't satisfied just by doing that. I suggested that he tackle Fate/Zero, a dark and serious story full of raw emotion. He had the resolve, and that's how they ended up adapting Fate/Zero.

Takeuchi: Many anime studios wanted to make Fate/Zero into an anime, but as far as actually doing that, I couldn't feel very excited about the idea. It was a story that came into being out of the love and respect that Urobuchi-san had for Fate/stay night, and was designed to deepen the enjoyment a reader could get out of Fate. Adapting it into an anime might mean stepping on that love, and I didn't want to make something that didn't capture the feeling of the original novels.

Nasu: In addition to the original game, there's a fan disk and many other items. Maybe that's intimidating to a beginner. Setting that aside for a moment, I want people to see the anime version of Zero. Even without knowing the story of Fate/stay night, you'll get pulled into the story of Fate/Zero. While Zero is a part of the Fate universe, I think the anime version of Zero is good enough to stand on its own as a superlative work. Please check out Zero.

Takeuchi: Many anime studios wanted to make Fate/Zero into an anime, but as far as actually doing that, I couldn't feel very excited about the idea. It was a story that came into being out of the love and respect that Urobuchi-san had for Fate/stay night, and was designed to deepen the enjoyment a reader could get out of Fate. Adapting it into an anime might mean stepping on that love, and I didn't want to make something that didn't capture the feeling of the original novels.
>>
>>138949482
>YURI
And the problem is? Whats with some /a/ posters' irrational fear of anything yuri?
>>
>>138955683
I don't really get it either considering how rare it is (I'm talking serious depiction of yuri romance, not fanservice or undertones).
>>
>>138952828
>You can't really compare a director to a writer like this

Nolan wrote all but one film of his.

>the dual wielding incident in Psycho Pass or the scenes with Madoka and her mother, or the scenes with Kyouko antagonizing Sayaka

All not good. Long winded exposition scenes during Madoka with the mother were not a highlight.
>>
>>138949539
>aldanoah.zero
You do know Slaine is a boy, right?
>>
>>138951600
But only thing I saw was the bat cave, really.
>>
>>138949515

Isn't everyone nowadays? Except for a few madmen that still do ecchi/harem.
>>
>>138949539
>aldnoah.zero
>yuri
whut
>>
>>138949482
>Implying these problems are somehow limited to Gen and not the medium in general

Gen is a decent to good writer in a largely shit medium. Aldnoah.0 was objectively the worst thing he's ever had his name attached to.
>>
>>138949624

Christopher Nolan is a director first of all and secondly has way more world experience and insight into his position. Gen Urobuchi is pretty much just an otaku that worked in the eroge industry and got super fucking lucky once or twice in getting carried along by actual talents and people that knew what they were doing and having a bunch of dumb teenage fanboys who think he's the sole reason series like Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero and Psycho-Pass were popular and successful. Every time he got severe writers block which was pretty much constantly there was some producer to suggest ideas to him good or bad to keep things moving along. Also most actually good writers and original creators of projects actually stay on board and contribute to them as opposed to run and duck for cover after handling the easiest parts and throwing some ideas out there for people actually doing the work to follow or not. I mean one of the guys most recent projects he just played a game with some other massively overexposed eroge writers and then passed the information from the game on to the producers and writers which they didn't even follow to make one of the worst anime of it's season in Chaos Dragon. What a totally committed and genius writer, totally not just a marketing tool at all. And now he's doing Chinese puppet theater so at least he'll probably be out of the scene for a while now.
>>
>>138949841

It's been pretty obvious for a while the kind of fan Urobuchi actually appeals to most.
>>
>>138958235
what about that fantasy show that aired a couple of seasons ago that everybody forgot about
>>
>>138958981
>Every time he got severe writers block which was pretty much constantly there was some producer to suggest ideas to him good or bad to keep things moving along.
[Source needed]
>>
>>138950438

More like Fate series, the franchise that has carried so many mediocre writers and directors into super stardom only to crash and burn the second they lose their otaku whale crutch and have to try to do real work. Notice Urobuchi really doesn't seem to do any actual work on most of the shows he gets credited as writer or original creator of and how he constantly ducks out of questions and interviews about them. The only one I can tell for sure he actually did do real work on was Madoka Magica cause it's the only one he's damn well ever answered questions about.
>>
>>138950183
Gaim is to Kamen Rider what Tamers was to Digimon essentially.

except Tamers is actually good
>>
>>138950646
>Aldnoah.Zero
He did only the first episode.
>>
>>138959118

Can't find the source right now but it happened trying to come up with a new story to write an LN about until Nasu gifted him with his ideas for Fate. It also happened when asked to write the Madoka movie but that might have just been because he actually finished the story and was being asked to reopen it by greedy producers only concerned about milking it so he was just like what the fuck am I supposed to do. Still the fact that he couldn't come up with anything and had to have Shinbo and Iwakami force ideas on him is a sign of a weak mediocre writer with limited creative thinking and imagination.
>>
>>138959118
If something, this might happen to several writers at some point in their careers.
>>
>>138959362
I know the Rebellion story but without a source for the first, I don't give a shit about what you said. Japanese authors are asked to create more works in a year than creativity can sustain, probably even more than the West. It's hard to sustain creativity, and a good work generally requires years of thinking process. I don't think Urobuchi is very different compared to other writers in the Japanese industry just like >>138959429

Sure, he has become a brand (see Chaos Dragon or Concrete Revolution) but he did some nice shit as well.
>>
Toshio Suzuki teased a collaboration between Urobuchi and Oshii, hopefully that happens someday.
>>
>>138958981
>Gen Urobuchi is pretty much just an otaku that worked in the eroge industry
I read somewhere that he is a fan of the Japanese literature and it influences his works. I believe that Urobutchi have the talent to be a legit writer and novelist but choiced to work in the otaku industry instead.
>>
>>138961712
>I believe that Urobutchi have the talent to be a legit writer and novelist

he surely isn't showing it in his works
>>
>>138961712
His grandfather was actually a somewhat famous writer, but more than Japanese literature he's influenced by Sci-fi novels, especially William gibson's stuff.

He's a big otaku, but before working on eroge he wasn't familiar with the medium at all.
>>
>>138959155
The only show this is true for is Aldnoah. He's answered questions and offered real insight into all his other shows, even Gargantia.

If you went "most influence" to "least" you'd get something like Madoka>Gaim>Psycho Pass>Expelled From Paradise>Gargantia>>>>>>Aldnoah>Blassreiter
>>
>>138962009
Fate/Zero being somewhere around Gargantia I guess.
>>
>>138962009
don't kid yourself, shinbo is just as much of a hipster as gen, there's a reason nothing was rejected from the proposal
>>
>>138962390
Why the fuck are you even here???
>>
File: pmmm12[1].jpg (67 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
pmmm12[1].jpg
67 KB, 1280x720
>>138962390
>my very best friend
>>
>>138961712
I read a lot of Japanese literature and I see much more Western influence in his writing style.
>>
>>138962700
you're right, bff's isn't the same as love
>>
I think a common theme here is that people keep referring to Urobuchi as if he were a novelist. He writes scripts. He isn't a director. Rebellion is a good example. Urobuchi doesn't hesitate in thanking everyone on board for the project's success and even said he couldn't believe that he couldn't believe he wrote it when he saw it on screen.
>inb4 Rebellion sucks
>>
>>138962777
>Implying bffs isn't a type of love
>>
>>138951236
Kikokugai was mediocre 2bh
>>
>>138962820
Urobuchi is also a novelist though.
>>
>>138962891
He did licensed light novels and a handful of VNs with Nitro+.
>>
>>138963164
He has at least three original titles that are novels. One of them got a recent manga adaptation I think.
>>
File: Kiss kiss you're my love.jpg (40 KB, 775x391) Image search: [Google]
Kiss kiss you're my love.jpg
40 KB, 775x391
>>138949482
You should watch Kamen Rider Gaim.

>Characters have layers and are more than generic characters
>Pretty low death toll, all things considered, and not all the likeable characters are killed
>Comedy's pretty ballastic
>Plot's solid
>No yuri. There maybe yaoi, but no yuri.
>>
>>138962700

>Madoka
>Hating anyone

Top kek

>Homura is the most hated character

Source needed
>>
>>138949539
Gen didn't write Aldnoah. He only pitched the script and wrote the first 3 episodes.
>>
File: FZ.jpg (37 KB, 225x350) Image search: [Google]
FZ.jpg
37 KB, 225x350
Am I the only one here who thinks that Fate/Zero was Butcher's best work?
>>
File: image.jpg (106 KB, 638x777) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106 KB, 638x777
>>138967760
>Implying
>>
File: 1457680573623.jpg (195 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
1457680573623.jpg
195 KB, 1280x800
I have question, and I would like to hear from people who are well versed in Butchers work so far and MuvLuv, would MuvLuv trilogy adaptation with with him as writer work? Seems like it will right up his alley.
>>
>>138968284
Shame they never animated more Berserker and that scene where Gilgamesh talks with the Grail
>>
>>138959155
Working on Fate grants you super stardom in Japan?
>>
http://reversethieves.com/2012/08/03/otakon-2012-15-minutes-with-gen-urobuchi/

http://tsukikan.com/misc/nasu-kinoko-takeuchi-takashi-urobuchi-gen-special-forum.html

http://heavens-feel.com/type-moon_10_anniversary_phantasm_translation.html#threecorneredtalk
>>
>>138968920
I don't want the original trilogy to get an anime. I think Gen can do it justice but he needs to be intensely involved.
>>
>>138949624
Except Nolan's plots are usually clever or at least engaging.
>>
Who is prepared for next masterpiece?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibkDPXYsMiU
>>
>>138958981
Most interviews with the staff of Psycho Pass cite him as the biggest contribution to the show. Additionally Madoka Magica was Shinbo's Idea, ironically Urobuchi was the one who downplayed the violence Shinbo originally wanted and took some time out watching mahou shoujo shows so he could come up with something different from the norm. He's not lazy, just over rated. Otherwise he can be a fun writer when (Yes your right) other people help him out.
>>
>>138968284
>implying he didn't co-write the LN with Nasu
Are you baiting or just really fucking stupid?
>>
>>138971094
>Overrated

To be honest, how much of it is his fault and not the fault of his fans? From his interviews, he seems pretty humble. He's got a pretty awkward sense of humor, but the guy himself comes off as kinda shy and dorky overall. It seems like Madoka set the bar for expectations and now everyone just kind of expects that from him. He seems to be aware that it defines him and isnt terribly happy about it.
>>
>>138972639
>Implying anyone is refering to the LN when mentioning Fate/0
>>
File: 1059185184.jpg (552 KB, 1502x1520) Image search: [Google]
1059185184.jpg
552 KB, 1502x1520
anime directors are all trash
Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.