[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reasons why S2s don't get made. https://oneofepisodes.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54
File: asf.png (34 KB, 647x570) Image search: [Google]
asf.png
34 KB, 647x570
Reasons why S2s don't get made.

https://oneofepisodes.wordpress.com/2015/09/29/translation-why-your-favorite-anime-doesnt-have-a-second-season/

How do you feel about the reasons described in this article?
>>
Just stop making anime altogether, why would japs pay 100$ for two episodes of mediocre animation when you can buy the whole manga series with better art and then get a steak dinner for the same money?
>>
>But the LN/Manga sold well

EVERY FUCKING TIME

THIS WAS WHY MANGLOBE WAS BANKRUPT WITH TWGOK FLOPPING EVERYTIME
>>
>>135620669
make better anime original stuff then
>>
Anime are just too fucking expensive. I buy manga as well but never anime. Maybe if it's a movie.
>>
>S2 didn't get made because S1 didn't sell

Oh shit, it all makes sense now, how could I have been so blind?
>>
>>135620773
Making original anime is even riskier. For one thing, since there's no pre-existing material to boost, a series needs to rely more on actual sales, merchandise, and manga/LN/game/etc. adaptations (if any) than anime adaptations.
>>
>>135620669
Why don't they get a percentage Based on the increase of the manga selling
>>
Everyone with any significant level of comprehension about the industry already knows this
>>
>>135620730
This.
You can buy complete western series for 50 or 80 dollars and they sell well. Anime BDs don't, because barely anyone is willing to spend 20 dollars for 3 - 4 episodes and it's way more expensive in Japan.
>>
File: 1439962208306.png (246 KB, 354x367) Image search: [Google]
1439962208306.png
246 KB, 354x367
>>135620669
>bluray cost 700$
>fucking CGI,moe shit and quality everywhere
>why can't we sell bluray
>>
>>135620779
>>Oh shit, it all makes sense now, how could I have been so blind?

Yeah, but the point is this >>135620765
People like to say that S2 will get made cause the source material got boost. Now we can see it doesn't work like that.
>>
File: 1434417406781.png (560 KB, 1439x329) Image search: [Google]
1434417406781.png
560 KB, 1439x329
>>135620669
Everyone already knew this.
>>
>>135620847
This makes sense.
>>
>>135620899
Not the weebs who are DISSAPOINTED~ and want S2.
>>
>>135620669
Don't they get money from having the anime air on tv?
>>
Don't they get the budget from the book publishers? Why would they only spend their own money when it's well known that most anime are only boosting the manga sales and nothing more? The manga publishers are the ones benefiting from the anime.
>>
>>135620669
Theres nothing here but bias claptrap
>hurr buy bd's make my career look good
>>
File: 1437517603012.png (305 KB, 436x552) Image search: [Google]
1437517603012.png
305 KB, 436x552
>>135620669
>while the manga that didn't pay a single yen does

Publishers at the one who invest the most money on making the anime. They are literally paying your salary so shut the fuck up retard.
>>
>>135620864
You think they haven't tried lowering the price before? Most anime appeals to a niche market, lower prices won't attract much more buyers.
>>
>>135620879
It's stupid anyway since a s2 won't boost it that much as s1 did anyway. The first season informs casuals or the bigger audience that a manga story exists, which is what boosts the sales - they already know that after s1 which is why there is no guarantee that s2 will cause a big boost anymore.
>>
>>135621011
the problem don't lie in the price only, more like the price combined with all the other shit.
>>
With western television, stuff like BDs and home releases are almost an afterthought. It's all about network ratings. While it has its faults, that seems to be a much healthier alternative than what Japan's been smoking for years.
>>
>>135620669
Let me translate what she said :
>BAWWWW WAHHHH nobody wants second seasons of the shit I produce.
There, that's much more accurate. Of course low-selling anime can get a second season if the manga/LN sales are good, Chihayafuru is just one example.
>>
>>135620944
Only if quotes matter, which isn't the case for late night anime = 95% of all anime.
>>
>>135620944
How fucking new are you? They pay to air. Anime is just ~20 minutes of expensive advertisement.
>>
>>135621011
Pretty much this. Though this hasn't stopped NHK from airing otaku-oriented anime at relatively mainstream timeslots.
>>
File: 1449471420004.png (518 KB, 500x720) Image search: [Google]
1449471420004.png
518 KB, 500x720
>>135620669
Maybe it's just that the blu-rays are so fucking expensive that people would rather go and buy the manga/LN instead.
>>
With this in mind, do you think services like Netflix producing their own shows is a good idea?
>>
>>135621011
If 20,30 shows are made each season for a niche market then they shouldn't complain that there's not enough customers for all of them.
>>
But most anime is very obviously made to sell the original work. Why else they always leave the series open ended if not to make people buy the LN/manga to see what happens?
>>
>>135621011
Maxbe they shouldn't only appeal to that niche then. I think anime is way too focused on certain audiences.
Just count all the harems or synopses that contain "* was a normal high school boy until he met a mysterious girl that..".
>>
>>135621053
Yeah, Game Of Thrones comes to mind. Everyone profited off that. Anime should just do what they did with Game Of Thrones.
>>
>希望の星だった配信も、収入の柱とまではいかない…
>Even streaming, which was supposed to be a ray of hope to the industry, isn’t strong enough to be a revenue generator…

CR BTFO.
>>
>>135621011
It's not surprising when the companies target the smallest niche and actively create image that anime is for the worst kind of HS dropouts.
>>
>>135621114
This, 2 episodes volume costs usually 10 times of typical tankobon and there is six of them for usual 12 eps series.
>>
>>135620669
>Paid to make advert
>Product you advertise sells
>Waa, no one is buying our advert!
It's because the expected return for the publisher is lower on sequels.
>>
>>135620669
Well, there is a lot of shows that sold a lot of BDs and didn't get a S2.
>>
Why bother selling on blue ray? That sounds like an intense over expenditure. Regular DVDs are enough.
>>
>>135621163
>>135621212
Normal adults don't like anime and won't ever like anime or consider paying $60 for a bluray with 2 episodes on it.
>>
>>135620847
They do, in the sense that the production committee almost always includes the publisher of the manga. So the thing gets funded in the first place with the help of the manga publisher, so to a certain extent this is whining about their lack of leverage in negotiating the production deal. They could either negotiate for a percentage of manga sales or get the publisher to assume more of the production risk, but these guys are all desperate. There are too many of these animation companies, they should consolidate and improve their ability to negotiate.
>>
>>135621011
idk man, I feel cheated if I bought a blu-ray only to get 2-3episodes for about 70 bucks. Even in the west people aren't always 100% okay with buying a whole season of anything for like 40 bucks.
>>
At least Oreimo got two seasons.
>>
>make shit
>no sales
>cry about it
The never ending cycle.
>>
>>135621285
>negotiate for a percentage of manga sales

Sounds like a good solution.
>>
>>135621281
>Hey man we only have a small market for our products! Should we
>A. Actually attempt to increase our market by targeting new demographics
>B. Competing with other companies with high quality products to win in our niche
>C. Complain to the niche market that they're not investing enough money in us (threats are fine too)
>>
>>135620669
They get paid to make the anime. The advertisement works. Done. If they want to produce S2 when they feel like it they should do something original.
>>
What's with the blogspam on /a/ recently? Why is this allowed?
>>
File: 1760.jpg (52 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1760.jpg
52 KB, 1280x720
That's fair, I think they should come up with some alternatives.

I'm sure BD prices are sky high and some people just won't pay that also with piracy being high as ever they should try something else.
>>
>>135621378
It's common on /v/.
>>
>>135621298
Niche hobies require more money from the buyer. If you don't like it you can always go watch the latest Hollywood flick for the masses for half a buck
>>
So when they drive up the prices of their BD releases in a desperate attempt to make a profit, nobody buys them because of the price.
>>
>>135621378
fuck off, this actually stimulated some discussion in here, which is better than the usual run of 'this guy slaps your waifu's ass' posts that dominate /a/ these days
>>
OPMfags tear is fucking delicious
>>
>>135621281
Yeah that's why I was talking about the niche shit. Anime are that expensive because they only appeal to otaku instead of a broader audience and there isn't much stuff those otaku can buy. They get like 40 series which target them each season and they can't buy more than maybe two of those so there have to be 30 series at least that sell like shit every season.

The problem is that this is a whole industry that only centers around the fat asses of a few 10k people.
>>
that's a lot of complaining, and i understand but if that's all true then why is there so much anime? literally every season we're showered with shows that get a season 1 and then never get a season 2. and its always the same studios, always the same people, if their previous show didn't sell shit, why do they think a new one will? and why do they keep adapting shitty LNs that will obviously never sell, i mean we've been on this shit for years now, every season there's some LN adaptation that doesn't sell squat, yet they keep being pumped out.
>>
>>135621281
That's what I said. No adult will keep watching same LN adaptation every season and don't have a time or isn't in a mood to go through all the shit to find a worthwhile series. Especially when he can go and pick random popular seinen manga to get as much entertainment from it.

And the companies are at fault, because they turned market into bunch of drooling retards who only care about visually appealing girls, especially when it concerns idolshit anime.
>>
A lot of anime studios appears to be run by nerds who can't let go of the whole doujin aspect, thinking "they're doing it for the fans". As much as they hate KyoAni atleast they realized the importance of marketing, brand development and took it seriously.
>>
>>135621400
That time I checked, I wasn't getting buttfucked by prices on my niche indie films.
>>
>produce shit that is not worth buying
>blame everyone but yourself
>>
BUY THE BD KIDS
>>
>>135621430
There are no tears here I think you are in a wrong thread.
>>
>>135621443
>And the companies are at fault
OPMfags everyone
>>
>>135621378
There is absolutely nothing to discuss at the moment since there aren't any relevant airing anime.
>>
>>135621343
>publishers would agree to this

Pipe dream.
>>
>>135621384
Thing is the otaku market is for the most part inelastic. While most people stay away from the BDs, there will always be that segment which is willing to pay for such things at such prices, and this segment is what they cater too. I think I read somewhere that they either tried or discussed about lowering prices, and it turned out that in the long run lowering their prices in that market would have a relatively minimal impact on sales, at the cost of decreased profits. At the end of the day, the anime industry is still a business, and the first priority of a business is to make money. Surely there could be other revenue streams but while they could work with other media (such as kids anime and pretty much any other Japanese TV show) it might not be the case for late night anime.
>>
put up nihon taxes, use funds to make animu. end of problem.
>>
>make niche anime
>get surprised that it doesn't sell

Reminder that anime films and series targeted are broader audience always sell good, ALWAYS. Even if they are terrible and look like shit. Example: every anime movie projected at theatre ever and pretty much all of TOEI's portfolio.

Therefore solution to the problem of low selling volume --> make better anime. WOAH
>>
>>135621482
0/10
>>
>>135621378
I blame tripfags like Mami Kawada Lover encouraging this behavior.
>>
>>135621503
What about upcoming anime?

Although I tried it and was told looking forward to anime to too Reddit, so there's that.
>>
>>135621481
Sales thread, check the archives
>muh manga boost
>madhouse doen't care if it's not selling well

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>135621171
>>135621053
Difference is that anime is too niche for that, regular working adults in Japan won't watch anime, even if it were on some big name premium channel.

The industries problem is that it's too large for it's own good, after the boom in the 2000's a lot more anime started being made with out a corresponding increase in number of people willing to buy the product.

What needs to happens now is for the industry to slow down and start pushing less product until they can figure out how to generate more paying customers or some effective alternative revenue sources.
>>
>>135621378
Blame waifufags.
Anyway, this thread is actually kind of nice topic. Certainly more on-topic than usual "how does your waifu smell".
>>
>>135621538
It's an option but there is not so much to discuss about things that haven't even started yet. Not to mention that they don't have fans yet since nobody knows how the series will be.
>>
Shit anime like SAO will probably get like 5 more seasons in the future while some good anime don't even get a second season, fuck.
>>
>>135621114
For the customers:
1.) BDs are too expensive
2.) There’s too many anime being made
3.) But the audience don’t even consider buying

On the business side:
3.) There’s no substitute for BDs as a source of revenue
4.) There’s no place for anime that take time to make in an era where fads come and go
>>
>>135621597
But I tried it about Shoujotachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu. I played the VN trial, so I know it's good. And it's written by Romeo.

But noone wants to believe me.
>>
>>135621533
I don't even blog or visit blog threads.
I think Narutofags or DBZfags are more to blame.
>>
>>135621580
they could always actively try and make more money out of the international audiences. It somehow has less stigma in a lot of western countries than it does within Japan
>>
>>135621135
>their own shows
Love this meme.
>>
>>135621629
Except this one?
>>
>>135620826
You confused anime original (existing IP with completely new storyline or elements for the anime adaption) with original anime (completely new IP).
>>
>>135621678
He's a little slow in the head. Forgive him.
>>
>>135621183
Underrated post.
>>
>>135621659
Again, if anime stuios actually knew how to do business instead of being a bunch of art school nerds they'd have gotten far more revenue from the international market. Now they're selling rights to charlatans like crunchyroll for what I assume are peanuts.
>>
>>135621659
I seriously doubt Japs are mentally capable of that.
>>
>>135621659
>Even streaming, which was supposed to be a ray of hope to the industry, isn’t strong enough to be a revenue generator…
They've tried and failed. Maybe what they need to do is to relax their piracy laws, which are pretty draconian.

>>135621678
I was referring to original anime. I think you may have misread my post.

>>135621664
This is more anime related that those "just finished [name of anime] and I thought it was..." sadly.
>>
>>135621520
>Reminder that anime films and series targeted are broader audience always sell good, ALWAYS
That's completely false though, anime targeted at broader audiences ( which includes a lot more anime than you think ) flops just as often as late night otaku shit, and anime movies are terribly expensive to make, and hard to make a return on unless you have Hayao Miyazaki's name plastered on it.
>>
File: Everything will be fire2.jpg (87 KB, 698x840) Image search: [Google]
Everything will be fire2.jpg
87 KB, 698x840
If no normal people are watching the anime since they don't have time or etc, then why are they buying the manga and why it is increasing in sales, but the Blu-rays aren't?

The answer is simple. You get more content at a much cheaper price and you can basically read manga where ever you want without disrupting people around you. This is why Blu-rays sell way way sell.
>>
>no money for second seasons
>but there's money to adapt new shit

something's not right here, if there really was a problem, then the studios would simply go under
>>
>>135621298
Rentals are popular in Japan. Many anime fans over there just rent an interesting anime on BD for a much lower price if they want to see it. Buying the BDs is reserved for collectors and those who genuinely want to support the anime. Everyone wins.
>>
>>135621573
Yeah but there are no opmfags in this thread complaining about that shit.

Again there are no tears here.
>>
>>135621624

I say fuck that anime for existing. I'm not about to watch an anime adaptation of a visual novel written by Romeo of all people, released before the damn source material is even out. I'm gonna skip the anime and read the damn visual novel like everyone else who actually cares.
>>
>>135621720
>I was referring to original anime. I think you may have misread my post.
You responded to a post that was talking about anime original.
>>
File: 1443021595693.gif (275 KB, 795x1000) Image search: [Google]
1443021595693.gif
275 KB, 795x1000
>>135621723
>This is why Blu-rays sell way way sell.
>>
Bought Atla book 1,2,3 for about less than 100 dollars together. Nips need to fix their shit.
>>
>>135621011
You know the Blu-Ray Box set for TTGL goes for 500+ bucks right? I want you to think about that as you defend price gouging.
>>
If it goes like this, isn't Kyoani the winner on every sides?
They adapt 'their own stuff', and sell their own merch, plus they get fairly decent BD sells. If I remember correctly, they don't go through Aniplex too.
>>
>>135621600
Just hope for SAO to get less popular, I thought second season of SAO is not that well received anyway compared to season 1?
>>
>>135621720
>don't visit blog threads and meta threads
>except this one, which is anime related

Like I said, I blame tripfags like Mami Kawada Lover for encouraging threads like this.
>>
>>135621741
Yeah, me too obviously, but Japanese-incapable friends should be hyped at least for the anime.
>>
maybe you shouldn't divide a 26 episode series into 2-episode blu rays that cost $50 each
>>
>>135621769
Yeah because they're the only one who gives a shit about business models.
>>
>>135620669
>while the manga that didn't pay a single yen does
Wow She seems pretty dickish.
>>
The whole does Pierrot still make naruto fillers?
>>
>>135620669
Honestly, I can't think of any scenario where this setup turned out well and the manga was able to get more animation aside from 3 specific cases:
>FMA->FMA:Brotherhood
>Inuyasha -> Inuyasha the Final Act
>Attack on Titan

Though, honestly Inuyasha should just be lumped in with the other shonen that got really long runs.

It also leaves a lot of fans that got into the manga disappointed as they know they will never see the rest of it animated cause they didn't buy the blu-rays.
>>
>>135621769
Plus they don't have their actual studio in Tokyo which must save a fucking ton in rent money
>>
>>135621769
They go through Pony Canyon which isn't any different than Aniplex but yes, you're mostly right.
>>
>>135621720
>Maybe what they need to do is to relax their piracy laws

Spoken like a true flip who never pays for any of his shit.
>>
Also, remember that in Japan it's pretty much only otaku who buy BDs in the first place. For pretty much everything else (including kids' anime) they still mostly sell on DVD.

>>135621749
I think it was the anon who was mistaken then. From context I think he was referring to original anime.
>>
>>135621760
>>135621723
This is why Blu-rays sell way way less*
my bad
>>
Based Netflix will save anime with their original productions.
>>
>>135621741
>>135621779

Also note that the anime will only cover a prologue of sort - the part at school. The heroine's routes that cover working at an eroge company won't be in the anime. So the obvious goal is to use the anime to make as people as possible buy the VN, it even comes out just as the anime ends. But Western watchers are screwed.
>>
>>135621807
>Spoken like a true flip who never pays for any of his shit.
I bought manga, LNs and CDs when I visited Japan so...
>>
>>135621728
What happens is that the rights holders for a different product pay the anime company for making a new adaptation. While the anime companies don't make much money off of the current system, manga and LN publishers do. This is why we see so many adaptations and so little anime original works, unless someone else is willing to foot the bill there's just no money in anime originals. Doesn't help either that many of the highest selling anime have historically been adaptations, furthering the incentives.
>>
there's no season 2 because japs are butt fucking retarded

look at madhouse, they never fucking make season 2 of anything, but EVERY FUCKING SEASON there's a new show by them
seriously, they're fucking deluding themselfs if they thing the consumers are the problem
>>
>>135621721
Yea, that's why Psycho-Pass, Gintama, Madoka, PreCure, Lupin, and many others, sells out movie theatres like crazy. You must be pretty uninformed to believe that regular cartoons, not the ones aimed at adults and aired at 3am, are unprofitable and unpopular.
>>
>>135621819
!aNRFNkpkG added to filter
>>
>>135621728
Most anime from what I've heard can't recollect the cost of making. What studios do is that they're searching for the rare gems that make up for several failed shows worth of money. Second seasons very rarely make more money than the first, so it's a failed bet even before it started.
>>
>>135621348
More like there are different kinds of anime for different demographics. It's just our kind happens to be niche.

>>135621437
There are plenty of anime that don't rely on BD\DVD sales at all and are targeted at kids, like most anime used to be in the past. It's just /a/ doesn't talk a lot about those.
>>
>>135621769
>If it goes like this, isn't Kyoani the winner on every sides?
It's not easy to say. They do actually have lot of in-house employees which can help keeping initial investment low. I personally doubt, they can produce multiple series alone on their own revenue. Especially when their LN brands is competing with giants like Kadokawa.
>>
>>135621769
They're a small studio, their entire revenue for 2013-2015 combined is still less than one season revenue of precure
also see >>135621806
>>
>>135621843
And pirated the rest while complaining about "draconian" piracy laws.
>>
File: 1439459583235.png (148 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
1439459583235.png
148 KB, 400x267
>>135621864
Don't! He's part of the strongest race in the world!
>>
>>135621867
>rare gems

i don't think the shitty LN adaptations are much of rare gems
>>
>>135620669
downloading fansubbed encoded tv streams off of nyaa doesn't mean your supporting the anime industry
>>
>>135621918
I'm not talking about quality I'm talking about sales. If you hit big with SAO then you can keep the studio floating for some time.
>>
>>135620864
You joke about 700 dollars but
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Gurren-Lagann-Limited-Edition/dp/B00ATYCF1Y
>>
File: 1448339624714.jpg (59 KB, 720x715) Image search: [Google]
1448339624714.jpg
59 KB, 720x715
>>135621916
>>
>>135621860
>Yea, that's why Psycho-Pass, Gintama, Madoka, PreCure, Lupin, and many others, sells out movie theatres like crazy.
Yeah but how many similar shows flop? Almost every season there is some new little kids cartoon, or drama, or comedy, and most of them flop. You're just cherry picking.
>>
It makes me wonder why Daisuki.net isn't a pay service. Also, shouldn't they add the money they get from licensing to that as well? If they are getting money from, for example, the U.S, Italy, France, Australia, & etc. that would that be like $100-200K USD p/country, no? Why isn't that considered as well?
>>
>>135621936
shit, most current studios exist for almost a decade and not even 90% of them have ever had even 1 10k sale anime, how the hell don't they go under?
>>
>>135621858
>but EVERY FUCKING SEASON there's a new show by them

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
>>
>>135621378
There is no airing anime. The crossboarding shit heads think they're welcome to the board
>>
>>135621881
>It's just /a/ doesn't talk a lot about those.
With the exception of Precure and Yugioh
>>
>>135621068
Chihayafuru is government funded
>>
File: 9cb.gif (3 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
9cb.gif
3 MB, 500x281
>>135621887
>their entire revenue for 2013-2015 combined is still less than one season revenue of precure
A-Amazing
>>
>>135621960
>self-hating pinoy from /int/

Will you look at that.
>>
>>135621774
SAO 2 did pretty good but it didn't sell even half as much as the first season (45372 copies) vs 18471 of season 2.
>>
>>135621960
You need to switch the amount of Butthurt and Pinoy Pride. You know how salty Flips are.
>>
File: ohaioooo onichan.jpg (25 KB, 624x351) Image search: [Google]
ohaioooo onichan.jpg
25 KB, 624x351
>>135620669
>2016
>physical blu ray

>meanwhile gaming is saved by steam and online store

i think japs publisher is being hard headed idiot that refuse to change
>>
>>135621135
N O P E .

Crunchyroll may do the same as Netflix, or they took into consideration producing original anime. It'll still be in the same state it currently is in. Netflix original animr, will likely consist of predominately shonen, magical girl, and mecha, coz if you look at the creators behind Bee and Puppycat, the Boondocks, Sym Boinic Titan, that is what influenced them and the CEOs and Exs are Netflix probably want to produce cookie-cutter anime of that sort "It's the next Sailor Moon, Naruto, Gunam, etc cetera"
>>
>>135621961
Most of these are unambitious shows either aimed at popularising already existing product (game/comic/book/etc) or are done simply in order to keep the studio afloat.
>>
>>135621769
They adapt obscure LN's.
>>
>>135621999
And aikatsu, and pokemon which have it's own board /vp/, and dragonball
>>
>>135621978
Because they keep finding new projects to work on. Essentially anime studios are living paycheck to paycheck, hoping to one day make it big on some wildly popular show.
>>
File: 1427782070785.png (91 KB, 338x609) Image search: [Google]
1427782070785.png
91 KB, 338x609
The actual problem here is scheduling.

It comes down to how much money the studio gets for the creation of the adaptation and how much the studio actually spends. If you have to deal with awful working conditions, missed deadlines, higher expected cost, you'll quickly run out of money.

I'm going to say that the party at fault will vary depending on who you ask. The rights holder wants a studio that can calculate resources properly and the studio wants more money from the corresponding party and blames everyone but themselves.

Looking at KyoAni, I'm going to go with the first one and say that most studios do not have a very good plan for scheduling and resource calculation.
>>
>>135621970
Because they use ads, which we all use adblock so their revenue must be shit
>>
>>135621979
it starts getting bad when you've watched dozens of shit that you know will never get continuity, like, what's even the point of watching their shows any more?
>>
>>135621887
>precure
don't they make most of their money on toy sales?
>>
>>135621459
Niche Indie films don't try to be a market, the whole western indie scenario is far too deep into socialism to even be financially viable, all they do is to make some cheap shit and cry when they can't live out of it.
>>
>>135621819
the originating post says 'anime original'
you began responding with 'original anime'
its pretty clear just who is mistaken and who misread the post
>>
>>135622059
B-But I liked Hunter x Hunter by them.
>>
>>135621088
>They pay to air.
What's the fucking point then?
>>
>>135622013
Well probably was because SAO S2 was shittier than S1.
>>
>>135621970
Daisuki does have premium content you have to pay for, most notably Gundam The Origin.

Also, I believe that they're still in the promotion phase, trying to make Daisuki known to the rest of the world that it actually exists at all.
>>
>>135620669
Well shame on them for making bs prices on some cheap animation, can't wait till anime dies off.

Manga is way more worth it in every way.
>>
>>135621978
because anime economics is a role play topic. No one here actually can't back up what they are saying except the toy sale anime which are owned by public companies and list revenue.
>>
>>135621978
Because they get fucking paid to make anime.
>>
>>135622077
esl fob flips tend to do that. English isn't their native language, after all.
>>
That's why Kyoani moved to "inhouse" adaptation.
>>
>>135622083
Most people in the anime industry are artists that have no mind for business, they just want to draw pretty cartoons.
>>
>>135621659
A lot of Japanese artists seem genuinely surprised when they learn that there's an international audience to their work.
>>135621716
A lot of artsy types don't like to have buisinessmen standing over them because it inhibits their artistic freedom. Unfortunately, if you don't know how to run a buisiness, you're not going to get very far on artistic freedom alone.

On the idea of consolidating: Bargaining power is a significant issue. One alternative would be for studios to organize and negotiate deals collectively, assuming that doesn't violate Japanese anti-trust laws. If it does (which would be retarded, but sadly expected), then they may indeed have no alternative but to aggregate under fewer, larger buisiness entities.
>>
>>135622041
Previously. Now they actually publish their own, then eventually adapt them (or in the case of Free, adapt them even before the LN itself is released).
>>
>>135622071
The point is that its still niche and doesn't ask me to buy 5 parts of film for 60 dollars each to see the whole film
>>
>>135622013
Good good, even the Japs know that SAO getting shittier after first arc of season 1, season 3 is still going to happen anyway I hope it will be the last season it's going to get.
>>
My favourite animu sold ten thousand BDs and it didn't get a S2, now what?
>>
>>135622144
Hyouka?
>>
>>135621774
>Just hope for SAO to get less popular
That's not happening. With the movie and all, it'll likely reignite interest again.
>>
>>135622055
When most of the industry is freelance or never met each other, it's no wonder that happens.
>>
>>135622060
Yes, most if not all of toei's IP doesn't rely on BD sales
>Mobile Suit Gundam,
>Yo-kai Watch
>Kamen Rider
>Power Rangers
>One Piece
>Dragon Ball
>Aikatsu!
>Anpanman
>PreCure

and shows like anpanman, lupin and sazae-san always have a top tv ratings
>>
>>135621438
Because no one actually know what is guaranteed to sell, unless you have monogatari in the title. See kagerou project for example
>>
>>135620669
Maybe they should try something like Fullmetal Alchemist, where they don't completely rely on the source material first and do their own thing after establishing the main plot. Then make a faithful adaptation afterwards if there is demand for it.
>>
>>135622144
I dunno what world you live in where 10K anything is good sales.
>>
>>135621664
this a thread about the anime industry , I don't think it counts as a blog thread.
>>
>>135622144
so it sold less then 2000 per volume?
>>
File: 1443023223168.png (142 KB, 1317x1078) Image search: [Google]
1443023223168.png
142 KB, 1317x1078
>>135622118
esl? fob?
>>
>>135622159
Hyouka sold 10k but the box added another 10k if I remember correctly.
>>
>>135622181
Don't be a newfag, 10k average for an anime is already a high number
>>
>>135622181
then what is?
>>
>>135621887
Precure is not late night otaku anime.
>>
Actually Production IG & Kyoani have the right idea. They also run second businesses. Production IG also runs a restaurant & Kyoani runs an animation school. These are also other ways an animation company could make more money. Like if JC Staff could do a museum or something or even a small theater that would be a great way to acquire additional funds.
>>
>>135622182
Then it's a shitty meta thread.
>>
>>135622180
isn't FMA new adaption sold less than their fist?
>>
File: 1450612324663.png (156 KB, 451x387) Image search: [Google]
1450612324663.png
156 KB, 451x387
>Buy 1 blur-ray which is about 2-3 episodes for 60+ dollars
>Or buy one volume of a manga for 10 bucks that could equal to 50% to 100% of season 1 of the anime
Gee, not a hard choice is it.
>>
File: Shame.jpg (117 KB, 977x538) Image search: [Google]
Shame.jpg
117 KB, 977x538
Kek, I legit don't know how these weebs who stay home all day are even able to afford these retarded prices for anime anyways.
>>
>>135622171
>Gundam
>Toei
>>
>>135620669
>shit studio still rely on adapting other people source manga material
Based Kyoani is ahead of the curve again by producing and publishing their own stuff.
>>
>>135621978
Because they don't invest or decide anything in making anime and are simply getting paid to do it.
>>
>>135622238
Most otaku have jobs.
>>
File: 1427479136126[1].png (332 KB, 596x628) Image search: [Google]
1427479136126[1].png
332 KB, 596x628
>>135620669
>producing shit show
>cry on twitter for no s2
>>
>>135621819
>From context I think he was referring to original anime.
>pinoy pride fob in charge of reading comprehension
>>
Who even buys blu rays of anything? Not many people, that's for sure. Digital media is so much more convenient. I can't remember the last time I paid for a physical copy of a movie or tv show, and I don't know a single person that does either. I'm not sure what the solution is for anime studios to make money, but I don't think blu ray is the answer.
>>
>>135622225
>Production IG also runs a restaurant
seriously? what kind?
>>
>>135622230
It's not even 10 bucks, more like 5 or 4.
>>
>>135622230
>10 bucks for 1 volume manga
Holy shit, it costs ~1 dollar on Akiba.
>>
File: 1451198907299.jpg (127 KB, 517x529) Image search: [Google]
1451198907299.jpg
127 KB, 517x529
Posting this again, I think this is relevant?
>>
>>135622238
Not everyone is a poorfag, most people don't have to do hard work to earn money
>>
>>135622198
"English as a second language" and "Fresh off the boat" respectively.
>>
>>135622238
>weebs
You're talking about Japanese people. What you said makes no sense.
>>
>>135622026
it's strange considering how out there some of Netflix live-action original shows are. *cough* Hemlock Grove *cough*

They're clearly willing to take risks, just not with anime
>>
errr... is anime doesn't generate sales for the animation company, then how come shonen like naruto and one piece keep chugging out new episodes?
>>
>>135622273
>>135622276
I don't know the prices of manga in Japan, I just went of some US prices I've seen and holy shit the choice is even easier.
>>
>>135622238
>weebs
>same as otaku

Know the difference.
>>
>>135622022
I mean those idiots still draw their cartoons by hand instead of making them 3d!
>>
>>135622292
>just not with anime
anime is too niche
>>
>>135622306
Merch. Billions of yen of merch.
>>
>>135622306
>naming two of the most popular series in the world
Gee, wonder why they can afford to keep making that!
>>
Shit thread.
>>
File: Akumetsu 0159-015.png (480 KB, 1558x1200) Image search: [Google]
Akumetsu 0159-015.png
480 KB, 1558x1200
So will /a/ now finally give up on their shitty S2 dreams and read manga?
>>
>>135622306
Because it airs in prime time and the broadcasting network is paying for it.
>>
>>135622181
Fuck off retard. Depending on the show even 5k average can get you a S2.
>>
>>135622198
That picture is a good example of an esl fob, actually.
>>
>>135622269
Just a normal one underneath its offices. You could go there & meet someone who works there which would be a big draw including having decent food. Having a second business would be a great way to generate more income rather than relying on just animation unless they are getting freelance from out of the country.
>>
>>135622306
I'm pretty sure stations are paying to have these on their channel.
>>
>>135622077
Same thing, bruh.
>>
>>135622242
it's namco sorry
>>
the nips need to make make less and better anime, maybe that will help

>we make shit anime, it does not sell, oh no
>>
File: 1420436311147.png (66 KB, 294x320) Image search: [Google]
1420436311147.png
66 KB, 294x320
>>135622277
How is it there are only 400-somethings doujin circles for SnK at comicket when it's on of the top sellers manga?
Why, when Touken Ranbu gets more than twice the amounts?
>>
>>135622353
>read manga
>from scanlations that help kill the industry

Bravo, /a/.
>>
>>135622353
Reading is for fags
>>
>>135622428
p much
>>
Real niggas wait until all the episodes are in one BD.
>>
>>135622426
Go shill somewhere else.
>>
>>135620765
Explain shonen jump's 200+ episodes anime.
>>
File: 1386638406637.png (869 KB, 3560x4280) Image search: [Google]
1386638406637.png
869 KB, 3560x4280
>>135621011
Can't really imagine printing a fucking BD costs more than 400 yen including the packaging if produced en masse.

I mean just look at Teekyuu, it's 30 bucks for one "season" which means 24 minutes of content + 2 OVAs so it's 28, for 30 bucks.

That's 1 buck per minute of crappy animation compared to 0,5 bucks per minute of decent animation if there's 4 episodes for some 80 bucks.

tl;dr: Teekyuu will have 20 seasons and the age of short anime is upon us.
>>
>>135622413
There are tons of high budget anime that utterly flop. It's much more sensible to throw a lot of relatively cheap series and hope some of them get popular. Then their S2s usually have much better budget.
>>
>>135622413
you just need to stop posting altogether
>>
File: 1437081958354.jpg (72 KB, 598x673) Image search: [Google]
1437081958354.jpg
72 KB, 598x673
Anime is shit, we all know that.
Manga is easily superior. Way better art, more variety, cheaper. The only problem is us filthy gaijins can't read most of them.
Unless more studios become like Kyoani, its going to stagnate until we get another Gundam or Haruhi tier success.
>>
>>135622415
Doujin market is different from the professional ones. People like stuff like Kancolle, Touhou and Touken Ranbu when there's more freedom in what the fan is allowed. If it's a series with too much story the fanfics are more constrained.
>>
>>135622426
To be fair i can't read moon, and if there's a localized manga in my area, i'll definitely buy it

importing manga is fucking expensive, and it's in moon
>>
File: kingdom-4250117.jpg (238 KB, 1200x858) Image search: [Google]
kingdom-4250117.jpg
238 KB, 1200x858
>>135622426
Manga industry in Japan is too big to get killed anyways, if it ends up getting licensed then support it i guess.

>>135622428
You read the subs, you are no different.
>>
>>135622463
>support the industry by pirating from it

Leeches pls.
>>
>>135622353
I don't like watching shitty black and white comics.
>>
Siily Jap need to move on with new business model.
Hell, Ken Akamatsu made an experiment by pirating his own stuff and already making more ads money than selling to publisher

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/8448400.html
>>
>>135622470
Different business models. 200+ episode shows don't air at night.
>>
>>135622514
>Manga industry in Japan is too big to get killed anyways
>Rich people can afford cars like bikes anyway, so it's okay to steal cars
>>
>>135622514
Yeah but I don't have to look at still images
>>
Is this anime sales thread?

2015 Oricon Anime Series Overall Sales (2014/12/08~2015/12/13)[
*2 214,413 うたのプリンスさまっマジLOVE レボリューションズ
*3 153,065 映画 妖怪ウォッチ 誕生の秘密だニャン!
*4 152,610 機動戦士ガンダム THE ORIGIN
*5 151,825 黒子のバスケ
*6 145,007 ソードアート・オンライン II
*8 130,323 SHIROBAKO
*9 129,866 Free! -Eternal Summer-
10 124,969 STAND BY ME ドラえもん
11 114,378 艦隊これくしょん -艦これ-
12 108,196 ラブライブ! 2nd Season
13 103,479 血界戦線
14 *98,149 ハイキュー!!
15 *96,539 四月は君の嘘
16 *94,609 金田一少年の事件簿R(リターンズ)(2期)
17 *91,309 ジョジョの奇妙な冒険 スターダストクルセイダース
18 *89,666 アイドルマスター シンデレラガールズ
20 *86,828 THE LAST -NARUTO THE MOVIE-
>22 *76,419 ガンダム Gのレコンギスタ
23 *76,222 Fate/stay night [Unlimited Blade Works]
24 *73,463 冴えない彼女の育てかた
25 *72,339 ONE PIECE
26 *71,174 憑物語
27 *70,883 弱虫ペダル GRANDE ROAD
28 *66,752 それいけ! アンパンマン
30 *65,787 ドラゴンボールZ 復活の「F」
>>
>>135622536
Translate it weebs
>>
File: zs1AIbO.gif (134 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
zs1AIbO.gif
134 KB, 340x340
>>135622477
you need to fuck off
>>
>>135622476
He's partially right. Nobody is going to bother looking up good anime when the whole fandom has image of rejects. Potential buyers are simply repulsed.

The reaction from producers is as you said, to throw lot of shit around in hope one of them will make it big with the audience you have.
>>
File: 1418454009531.jpg (77 KB, 450x518) Image search: [Google]
1418454009531.jpg
77 KB, 450x518
>>135622514
In fact, buying licensed manga should make the Nips realize there's a market outside of their island, shouldn't it?
>>
>>135622227
No. A meta thread would be about /a/ itself. We're discussing the industry, which is completely on-topic and frankly I think is a discussion that needs to be had more often.
>>135622258
I think it is obvious that the industry as a whole needs to move away from BDs as their primary income source, but the question is, to what?

The internet makes a lot of new buisiness opportunities, but it's a sort of creative destruction in that a lot of old buisinesses die in the process. Copyrights are obviously impossible to enforce, so that means you can really only get revenue from the merch.

I talk with a lot of webcomic artists, and merch is pretty much how all of them make their living. Problem is, of course, that animation is a lot more expensive and time-consuming than drawing stuff is.

For all the complaints about CGI, the future of the industry may rely on technologies that will make animation much less expensive. Pay attention to developments in flash/web animation to see where that's headed.
>>
>>135621443
>No adult will keep watching same LN adaptation every season and don't have a time or isn't in a mood to go through all the shit to find a worthwhile series
I beg to fucking differ. Westerners who watch live action fucking love to eat up their movies and tv shows of literally the same thing constantly
>>
>>135622426
If you can read moon Kindle store is actually pretty decent ( I think you need a japanese Kindle to use it though), wish the releases were faster digitally though.
>>
>>135622543
>Pirating
>Stealing
>>
>>135622583
He says that ads profits from one month were about as much as he gets from the publisher in a year.
>>
>>135622415
Doujin market is where the fandom money is. SnK has lot of merchandise these amateur creators have to compete with. On the other hand Touhou or Kancolle has lot of leeway for personal fantasies.
>>
>>135622591
Most adults generally don't watch cartoons, "good" or not. Maybe something with very high budget and entertainment value which you can watch with your family like Pixar or mainstream anime movies. You won't be able to attract them no matter what you do.
>>
>>135622613
The thing about the market outside of japan is that the market is very very very small. I mean hell, comic books basically died out in the west. With them releasing more manga here, it would have to first get popular, which I do not see happening at all.
>>
>>135620669
>Start making more original anime
>Problem solves itself
>>
>>135622621
They should take a look at apple itunes store

i think that is the future
simple, easy and relatively cheap
>>
>>135622653
Not Stealing, just Leeching
>>
File: sauce.jpg (78 KB, 600x593) Image search: [Google]
sauce.jpg
78 KB, 600x593
>>135620765
Are you retarded?

Manglobe specifically produced anime with this mindset.

They created anime to advertise the manga. That's what they were paid for.

They were actually surprised by its success in selling DVD's and BD's as it sold way more than any other of its series, which is why they did so much of it, because it produced them a bigger profit in addition to the payment bonus for advertising the manga.

In fact this is how many studios produce their money. Another example is Madhouse.
That's why Kaiji is full of movie advertisement

A lot of anime is marketed with the attention to specifically advertise something rather than to sell BD's, which are secondary.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.