[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /a/ I don't usually post at all, on any of the boards
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8
File: Grave_of_the_Fireflies.jpg (385 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
Grave_of_the_Fireflies.jpg
385 KB, 1000x1500
Hey /a/ I don't usually post at all, on any of the boards I frequent, let alone this one.

But I have a burning desire to hear your opinion.

It's been a while, but I vividly remember hating pic related.

As in, it's pure garbage. The story is fucking terrible, and the girl dying is the most inane bullshit.

Am I not wrong? Is this movie not just a pointless waste of space, time, and effort?
>>
I didn't really like it, it makes me more mad than anything else to be honest. Not this sad bullshit that everyone else seems to be chewing on. NTHT was everything I really expected from the film but didn't get. Not to mention undertones that you'd rather not discuss.
>>
>>134822204
>I can't understand things that aren't explicitly revealed to me
Before you shitpost, you should probably look into why other people like the movie or even praise it at all. Once you gain insight into why it is critically acclaimed, you will realize that you dislike it for aesthetic and cultural reasons instead of everyone else ever being retarded for liking something you don't like.
>>
I didn't like it either. It's about a pair of brats fucking up their lives by making the wrong choices. The brother is essentially a idiot that murders his own sister. He even had money in the bank he could have withdrawn to feed his sister, but for some reason, waits until she faints fro mamlnourishment before he takes out any funds. the kid was just really stupid. He doesn't want to work, doesn't want to contribute, wants to stick the middle finger to anyone that tells him to do otherwise and thinks everything is fine and dandy, well until they die.
>>
not sure what you mean but i enjoyed the depiction of war and the tragic yet believable story. the mc was absurdly illogical but its for the sake of delievering the message of the movie
>>
>>134822204
Yeah, so, what you have to understand is that the movie is autobiographical. Or at least, an adaptation of a book which is autobiographical.

In real life, the boy didn't die. But he eventually wrote Grave of the Fireflies, out of his feelings of guilt over his sister's death.

So yep. The main character is an idiot. And until he died IRL a few days ago, he blamed himself for his idiocy the rest of his life, and bared it all for us to see.
>>
>>134823220
> I didn't like it either. It's about a pair of brats fucking up their lives by making the wrong choices. The brother is essentially a idiot that murders his own sister.
What you're describing is basically the point. The author said he wrote the book as an apology to his sister because he felt responsible for her death. The MC is a stupid kid who gets thrown into circumstances way beyond his ability to handle and fucks up badly.
>>
>>134823253
>the mc was absurdly illogical
He was Japanese.
>>
>>134823485
>>134823457
That's interesting, didn't know that.

However it doesn't change that it makes for a shitty animated story.
Autobiography? Sure.
Documentary? I'd watch it.
Animated ghibli film? No thanks.
>>
>>134823457
>autobiographical
That doesn't make it good. The amount of times, for series in general, I've heard this line is just farcical.
>>
Getting anime in the early 90's was terrible. A lot of stuff you watched because there just wasn't anything else. If you were lucky you'd know a local comic shop clerk who could get you some vhs rips. GotF was something you could buy in Suncoast. Which I did, when I was eleven. Shit is heavy for a little kid man. I have no interest in how I would find it there days because in the twenty or so years since I watched it I have not once had the desire to see it again. All I really remember is crushing sadness.
>>
>>134822204
What lead you to be interested in this movie? While I didn't find it to be garbage, I thought of it as a poor man's Barefoot Gen.
>>
>>134823531
It doesn't on its own, but in this case it provides important context. It's not about war being evil and killing cute kids, it's about war being rough and one kid's arrogance getting himself and his sister killed.
>>
>>134823457
>>134823485
It being autobiographical doesn't make it any better; it's still a boring movie that gets way too overhyped.
>>
File: What was that you little shit.png (919 KB, 850x940) Image search: [Google]
What was that you little shit.png
919 KB, 850x940
>>134823780
Fuck off you stupid redditfrog poster
>>
>>134822204
Well, I completely loved it. True, it was a heavy movie for a 10 year-old (really, I remember crying my eyes out), but that doesn't mean I didn't like it. I recently watched it again and I still find it as good as ever.

Yeah, sure, the mc made the wrong choices throughout the movie, but I don't see why the mc should be perfect. Also, some in this thread have said that his decisions were illogical, but I don't understand how, maybe they were impulsive yes, but it was always for their survival. We're talking about a young 10yo brat who's just lost his mother and whose father's gone too. His only family left was his sister, and he'd have done anything for her. He made poor decisions, but not illogical. Who knew it'd turn out like it did? He had never left home before that, and didn't know it'd be that hard.

For me, at least, this was a story that I could believe actually happened. And I was actually able to compare with my own experience (not about war, but more like a close relationship with my brother - again, not the delusional oreimoshit, but simply a strong bond between siblings).

See, I remember watching this with my mom. And for the first time she asked me if that was really a children cartoons movie.
>>
>>134822204
Yup, the movie fucking sucks. I would even go so far as to say that the boy's actions were unnatural -- why would he stay at a relative's house and not help out in any way? Especially since the japs were supposed to be help out with the war effort and shit. Since it was autobiographical there should be a reason but it wasn't touched upon at any point so there movie just lost me there. The part where he started swinging around on the pull up bar after his mother died to cheer up his sister was fucking stupid too.
>>
The biggest problem I have with this movie as far as storytelling is that it doesn't give us time to get to care about the protagonists before shit goes down. If terrible stuff is happening since minute one, I only expect bad shit to happen and it becomes almost comical, since they were never established as people but rather as disaster magnets.
>>
File: 1447433518663.png (17 KB, 134x180) Image search: [Google]
1447433518663.png
17 KB, 134x180
not moe enough!!!
>>
>>134824249
>Since it was autobiographical there should be a reason but it wasn't touched upon at any point so there movie just lost me there.
Because he's a spoiled brat. That's the reason.

>>134824117
>Yeah, sure, the mc made the wrong choices throughout the movie, but I don't see why the mc should be perfect.
The problem there is that you don't feel any sympathy for the main character and the problems that occur because it's purely because of his own selfishness that they're in a poor predicament. Instead of being what it's often hyped as, "an incredibly sad movie which moves people to tears", it's just a 2 hour long borefest where you watch the main character do more stupid shit and never redeem himself.

Much like how some horror films can't be taken seriously when the characters never take any logical action.
>>
>>134824249
>autism
>>
>>134824421
I felt sympathy for him, and so did all those who were "deeply moved to tears". But I think it's because, unlike characters in most horror movies, the mc in this case was a child. A fucking child. Obviously he's going to e selfish, obviously he's going to make poor decisions.
He'd have redeemed himself, if only he had lived longer. But sometimes in real life you simply don't get the chance to do it, either you die too early to do it or the person you want to ask for forgiveness dies before you can do it. In this case both happened, and that's how the movie ended. A movie doesn't necessarily need to have a grand ending. In fact, after his sister's death, he did regret his decisions, everything, but nothing could be done.
This movie is an example of how poor decisions can take a toll on your life.
>>
>Angry ranty shitpost that exists for no other reason than to say "I didn't like this popular thing so it's terrible"
>irrelevant opening line that has nothing to do with anime
>blatantly giving out an unspoilered spoiler in the OP

You're the waste of space, time and effort, OP
>>
>>134824824
>blatantly giving out an unspoilered spoiler in the OP
The Titanic sinks at the end of the movie.
>>
>>134824751
Having your character be a child is no excuse for any lack of characterization besides "fucking moron", and it's not enough to cause an empathic response since he was never established as a real character. The movie would have been much better if we had some time to grow attached to him and his sister before shit starts falling down
>>
>>134824751
>But I think it's because, unlike characters in most horror movies, the mc in this case was a child. Obviously he's going to e selfish, obviously he's going to make poor decisions.
There's a limit to how stupid/selfish a child can be at that age. Seita was 14 in the movie; not 5.
>>
>>134823678
>Boring
It's not meant to be an exciting movie, it's meant to be a tragedy.
>>
>>134825001
A tragedy has to be involving to not be boring, and in my opinion GotF fails at that
>>
>>134825001
It's not a tragedy when you don't care about any of the characters.
>>
>>134825036
>has to be involving

What?
>>
>>134825069
That's a problem with you, not with the movie.
>>
>>134824895
Lack of characterization? I disagree; he was more than a moron. As you said, he was a spoiled kid. Whenever there was a difficult situation, such as his aunt's insults, he didn't cope up with it, and instead he decided to leave the house. But, here's the thing; if that aunt had stopped them, all of this wouldn't have had happened. He also loved his sister; she was the only one he could confide in. So when their mother died, he kind of became his sister's guardian (he failed miserably to take care of her, but that's another matter). He kind of grew up (though, as I already said, it wasn't much of a growth). In the end, both siblings ended up locking themselves in their own little world.
Also, being a child IS a reason for his behaviour and poor judgement, because he was still VERY immature and couldn't contain his selfishness.
>>
>>134825081
If one doesn't get emotionally involved and experience catharsis, tragedy is just an exercise in sadism. And that's what I felt GotF to be like, bad shit happens to these two kids for no reason and you just watch as they struggle to no avail. There is nothing tragic about it, it's pure sadistic voyeurism
>>
File: 1437203296272.jpg (26 KB, 274x321) Image search: [Google]
1437203296272.jpg
26 KB, 274x321
is this the late night/early morning shitposting thread?
>>
>>134824966
Yes, unlike most kids at that age, he was immature, But that's how Seita, the mc is. And that's how the original author of the novel was at that age. You'll always find a movie with a reasonable and unselfish mc, but you don't always find an mc this immature, whose selfishness was his ruin.
>>
>>134825162
Oh, that makes sense. Your wording was just a bit shit
>>
>>134822204
It's based on a true story and the ending is what the writer wanted to happen to himself when his sister died irl
>>
>>134822204

My biggest gripe with it is that the brother was entirely to blame for his sister and his own death, should have just stayed with the aunt, but instead he ran away and starved to death.
>>
>>134825198
Sorry, I'm not a native English speaker, false friends and all that jazz
>>134825119
I'm not the guy you were arguing with, but with characterization I meant having them be more than victims of terrible misfortune. You see them being victims from minute 1, so you expect nothing but suffering for them and
>>
>>134825171
>Yes, unlike most kids at that age, he was immature, But that's how Seita, the mc is.
Yes; unusually retarded. Which makes the whole movie difficult to sympathize with.
>>
>>134825162
I couldn't really fault your explanation if it were on its own, but I don't think it really applies here. Using WWII, or any real-world war, as a setting changes things. Because civilians suffer and die pointless deaths in war, far from the front lines. Stories like Grave of the Fireflies serve to remind us of that, so that hopefully we remember it the next time we want to wage war.
>>
>>134823518
>No thanks to animated Ghibli film
So did you watch it or not? Are you just fishing for some (you)s?
>>134823678
I have never seen anyone hype this old movie. At most, people just recommend you to see it once for the message. And is a good message for the time invested. Did you go in expecting WWII and 2 nukes instead of two siblings trying to survive during a hard time period in Japan?
>>
I wouldn't call him retarded, remember he's a fucking child who's parents have been killed, he's been literally firebombed and watched people burn to death and essentially lost everything, when he gets to his aunts instead of finding a supportive family he finds complete and utter cunts who want little to do with him and steal his shit, so he and his sister run away to and withdraw to their own little world.

Yes he's an idiot, yes he's retarded, but he isn't unrealistic and he is dealing with an insane situation even for an adult. He's basically living through an apocalyptic scenario.
>>
>>134825309
I still think they should have shown how their life was going before shit went down, most movies about civilians in a war do it since it's really important to show the contrast between peace and war, even if we already know how it is
>>
>>134824895
You are not suppose to feel sorry for the brother, is the sister that you should feel for.

The problem here seems to be that most of you wankers think you are capable of handling the situation far better than the guy when he was a child. IĀ“m sure you all cried to mommy when she made food you disliked, threw your fucking legos at other kids. Only reason to hate on this guy is cause you are all projecting way too damn hard. Relax, is just a movie about a guy making the wrong choices. Is a tell worth telling.
>>
>>134825334
>I have never seen anyone hype this old movie.
You're kidding, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grave_of_the_Fireflies
>Grave of the Fireflies received near universal acclaim from film critics. The film review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported a 97% approval rating based on 32 reviews. It offers the consensus: "An achingly sad anti-war film, Grave of the Fireflies is one of Studio Ghibli's most profoundly beautiful, haunting works"
>Grave of the Fireflies made Time Out magazine's, with help from director Terry Gilliam, top 50 animated film list, where it was ranked at #12 on the list.[23] Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times put the film on his "Great Movies List" calling it, "an emotional experience so powerful that it forces a rethinking of animation

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hotaru_no_haka/
>Such odd hopefulness, flitting around a child, mixed with the overwhelmingly sad, pervades Isao Takahata's film.
>Isao Takahata's masterpiece is one of the most profound anti-war statements ever brought to cinema
>Japanimation WWII tragedy the saddest. Cartoon. Ever.

>http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095327/reviews
>A Beautiful Unforgettable Masterpiece that shows the true cost of war.
>The best movie you'll never want to see again
>A masterpiece, whose beauty is often overlooked
>Haunting
>More moving than you could ever expect
>>
>>134825334
>Did you go in expecting WWII and 2 nukes instead of two siblings trying to survive during a hard time period in Japan?
I expected two siblings trying to survive like everyone hyped it up to be. Instead I got an immature, lazy 14 year old who, instead of helping out or swallowing his pride, decides to run off with his little sister with no thought or care of how they're going to survive, which causes the death of his sister, and eventually his own as well. An terrible predicament that was purely of his own fault/doing.
>>
>>134825427
>is the sister that you should feel for
I don't remember a single thing about her except that she suffers and she dies of starvation, she is barely a character
>>
>>134825427
>IĀ“m sure you all cried to mommy when she made food you disliked, threw your fucking legos at other kids.
Nigga was 14 years old in the movie. If you were still acting like that when you were 14 then you were behind the curve.
>is the sister that you should feel for
Except the focus was on Seita the entire time.
>>
>>134825480
>An terrible predicament that was purely of his own fault/doing.

That's what makes it a tragedy.
>>
>>134825290
I was able to sympathize with the siblings, especially the brother, because as >>134825309 said, their deaths were a consequence of the war. If it had happened in another setting, then yes, I wouldn't have been able to sympathize either.

>>134825253
Well, I think the main point of this movie is that they are victims of the war. True, this didn't evolve. In fact, it got even worse, because they were also victims of the brother's own selfishness. But for a 2-hour long movie, I think it's enough. It doesn't try to impress much, it just tells the story of two unfortunate siblings, in war time, and their time spent together before their demise. It's a simple premise, sure, but simple doesn't necessarily mean worse.
>>
>>134825528
I bet you cried during Romeo and Juliet.
>>
>>134825429
You canĀ“t be for real. So majority of the people that watched it found it to worth a watch, whatĀ“s the deal? I mean are your friends shoving the BD/DVD right in your face to tell you how good and awesome it is? That you must watch it when you have the time? That you must prioritize it before anything else?

Are you taking out your anger for time ill invested? ArenĀ“t you acting a childish just like the MC of said movie? You hyped yourself up by reading opinions from strangers, and got disappointed it wasnĀ“t what you expected. If anything blame yourself, which you would have done if you did watch the movie.

Next time, find reviews and what not from people that have the same taste as you to avoid this situation.
>>
>>134825481
Well I would barely remember by kid sister from 60 years ago that have been nothing more than pure regret since the day she died. I bet it would be the same for most people.
>>
>>134825543
It's older than that. Aristotle literally wrote a book on it.
>>
>>134825513
Is from his perspective. And you from some African village or what? Most middle class white family have children acting like that, and still does at their 20s. Bravo if you grew up faster than most.
>>
Guys you make it seem he was living next to McD's failing to buy burgers to his kid sister with pocket money.
>>
>>134825480
The author would agree with you. You are not necessarily supposed to think that the protagonist is likable or even all that sympathetic.
>>
>>134825556
>You canĀ“t be for real. ... If anything blame yourself, which you would have done if you did watch the movie.
What the fuck does that incoherent babble have to do with anything?
>>
>>134825583
How does that change the fact that there is nothing to make the audience care about her
>>134825531
I don't have problems with the premise, I just think it was just poorly executed
>>134825528
No, classical tragedy is about fate and how it fucks us over despite our best attempts to fight against it. Take the Antigone by Sophocles, the tragedy stems from both parties being in the right, but fate just put them in a situation where they have to be in conflict
>>
File: 1427002880264.jpg (53 KB, 398x416) Image search: [Google]
1427002880264.jpg
53 KB, 398x416
>making objective judgements about something based off of subjective reasoning
>>
>>134825867
Wow, you're totally right. Better not have any discussions related to art ever again then. You should really share that thought with everyone in the world. You're a genius anon.
>>
>>134825867
>art is subjective
I love this meme!
>>
Nice bait OP,you're probably posting hitler did nothing wrong too
>>
>>134825803
>poorly executed
How so?
>>
>>134826050
There is no development, everything is terrible from the start and it only gets worse in a linear way and without pathos. There is no struggle, resolution or catharsis, but maybe it's just how Japanese tragedy works as opposed to Western tragedy
>>
Aunt was a bitch and MC was a retard for not swallowing his pride, leading to his sister death.
Aside for the characters being unlikable, the dreadful depiction of how bad it was after WW2 was pretty spot on, and the tones fitted the theme correctly.
You probably don't like it because you don't want to accept how bad someone else had it and watch a medium for entertaining, not for thought, either because you lack empathy or you force yourself to lack it.
I didn't like it too, to be honest, but at least I know why.
>>
>>134826106
lol yes, it's all a conspiracy in which any mainstream person who's seen it will immediately talk about how devastating they found it. In reality everyone thought it was emotionally unconvincing.
>>
>>134825334
My theory on OP is that he watched this movie cried like a baby and got really angry at the fact people die unfairly and due to incompetence and stupidity and is now having a bit of an existential cry.

Shitposting helps people get through shit man.
>>
>>134826187
Why are you so mad about the fact that someone didn't think that your favorite cartoon was as good as everyone says it is? I explained why I think it's not that good, you are just saying that everyone liked it as if it were an actual argument
>>
>>134823220
>I didn't like it either. It's about a pair of brats fucking.
FTFY
>>
>>134826235
>mad
>favorite
>my opinion overrides everyone else's
Pathetic.
>>
>>134826263
>my opinion overrides everyone else's
God forbid someone holds a different opinion from the majority
>>
>>134826242
I wish it was.
>>
>>134826366
Mamoru Oshii thought it was.
>Grave of the fireflies attracts my attention most. That's an immoral world, since it's a story of incest. And the image of death is lined up right behind it. In that sense, it was an erotic movie, and it gave me chills.
>>
>>134825894
>Better not have any discussions related to art ever again then.

I never implied that. I'm saying that making a statement like "x is a bad movie because I didn't like the characters" is fucking retarded.

>>134825979
I think you misread my post because I didn't make any implications about that either.
>>
>>134822204
Don't know bout all that, I just found no reason to be interested in the characters or the setting.

I don't really find children to be interesting characters because they aren't emotionally developed or intelligent, and the movie didn't really get me invested in what was happening to them outside of "isn't nuking people terrible?".
>>
>>134826612
>I'm saying that making a statement like "x is a bad movie because I didn't like the characters" is fucking retarded.
It's not retarded when the movie is focused on the characters, and people provide reasons as to why they don't like the characters, you dumb ass.
>>
>>134826633
How do you enjoy anime if you consider emotional development and intelligence to be important in characters?
>>
>>134822204
Eh, it was okay
>>
File: Grave-of-the-Fireflies-3.jpg (35 KB, 600x322) Image search: [Google]
Grave-of-the-Fireflies-3.jpg
35 KB, 600x322
>>134825803
>No, classical tragedy is about fate and how it fucks us over despite our best attempts to fight against it. Take the Antigone by Sophocles, the tragedy stems from both parties being in the right, but fate just put them in a situation where they have to be in conflict

This is a type of tragedy, not the only one. There is tragedy in a story of characters whose fatal flaws (in Seita's case, pride) lead them down a disastrous path. In this case, it also involves the tragedy of how the people are helpless against the bombs and the war waged against them.

I find your ideas about this movie completely strange. Why does Seita need to be likeable, logical or smart for the movie to be good? The pathos of Satsuko dying is obvious: she's a child. The emotional appeal is so obvious that people sometimes critize it for being manipulative. She's a kid, innocent and naive, who has no way of comprehending or dealing with the war or the loss of her mother.

>>134826633
I'm 90% sure you didn't watch the movie. What nukes?
>>
>>134822204
fuck them for killing the girl
>>
>>134823220
>He even had Money in the Bank
And how is a title shot worth anything to two kids?
>>
>>134825309
underrated post
>>
The Aunt was a bitch but I could see where she was coming from.
>>
File: 1450239449028.gif (3 MB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
1450239449028.gif
3 MB, 300x200
>>134822204
How come he didn't think of moving back in with their aunt when his sister was fucking dying?
>>
File: Burgertime GDWIAP_uCanotDeltri.jpg (59 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
Burgertime GDWIAP_uCanotDeltri.jpg
59 KB, 720x480
>>134822204
Hamburger Gundam was butter.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.