[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /a/ get so butt frustrated when people buy english translated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 5
File: kino06e.jpg (74 KB, 722x410) Image search: [Google]
kino06e.jpg
74 KB, 722x410
Why does /a/ get so butt frustrated when people buy english translated manga and Light novels?
>>
Because /a/ is a hive mind of purists.
>>
Why would you read LNs? If you're going to read books, might as well read ones that are actually worth something, rather than Japanese YA fiction
>>
Because /a/ is poor.
>>
>2015
>not fluent in niponese
>>
>>123107470
since when?
All people ever bitch about are english dubs
>>
/a/ doesn't get mad about that unless people brag about it on /a/. Why would I care how people spend their money?
>>
because why the fuck would you want to encourage jewish middlemen instead of directly supporting the author? You don't need to own manga to read it, and if it's localized it'll be even easier to find.
>>
>>123107470
If you really wanted to support the artists, you'd buy the original and read it online.
>>
>>123107470
Most translated manga is fine. Anything where they start doing crude localizations or image mirroring is straight up shit though.

I really couldn't give a shit about LNs. Most are written poorly enough to begin with that no quality is lost in translation.
>>
>Releases take years to catch up, have worse translations than scanlations, or are dropped for no reason
Import and read online.
>>
>>123107470
/a/ only cares if it is shit. Most translated manga is not shit. It's just super, super slowpoke because the rest of us read the translation 6 months ago when it was released.
>>
>>123107470
The only thing to be frustrated about Eng translated LN are the release speeds.
>>
Because they take down the fan tanslations, take years getting to the same vol. as them and then only release them in burgerland.
>>
>>123107695
Reading online is really shit though. Reading is most enjoyable when you have a book in your hand.
>>
>>123107796
It most certainly is not. If you want something physical get an ereader or a tablet.
>>
>>123107796
For an actual book, yea, it's much better. I don't read many LNs and prefer digital manga.
>>
>>123107796
I've found that that only matters for actual books. Stuff like manga isn't difficult to read online because it's just images.
>>
>>123107920
Books are 100x better on an ereader.

You can actually read in bed with the lights off. Comfortably, anyways.

Don't have to hold the pages in place either.

Physical books are shit.
>>
>>123107920
Have you tried one of the bigger e-readers? I saw a Kobo H2O displaying manga and it's compelling me to buy one for myself.
>>
>>123107470
Just do what ever you want to do...
I read both translated and not translated LNs and manga, some online some not.

Is really up to you, people will always say your taste is shit anyways.
>>
>>123107847
Tablets and computers are just going to fry your eyes, ereaders are better but still shit compared to the comfy feeling of reading books.
>>
>>123107951
I dunno, I grew up reading physical books and it feels really nice to turn pages.
>>
>>123107951
>Physical books are shit.
I'm sorry, you must 18 years or older to be on this site. Try coming back in a few years.
>>
>>123107730
You wouldn't be frustrated about it if you stopped and took a second to think about the logistics behind why there's a 3 month gap between releases.
>>
>reading books

I'm sorry, what century is this?
>>
>>123108135
>ereaders are better but still shit compared to the comfy feeling of reading books.
Imfuckingplying.
The only difference is flipping pages. And having to hold open the book the entire time.

There are no benefits of reading physical copies, except the collection.

>>123108142
I grew up reading physical books as well. I hope fucking anyone posting on this site did, because ereaders haven't been a thing for too long.
>>
>>123108135
No stop. I do both and there is no reason to put on above the other. Reading something on your tablet while lying in bed is just as comfy.
>>
>>123108259
>just as comfy.
More comfy, in fact, because you can turn off the lights and don't have to hold open the book. You can rest it on the bed, on your knees, prop it up, do whatever you want with it.
>>
>>123108259
Reading on anything that emits light for long periods of time is bad for you. There is nothing comfy about a headache.
>>
>>123108370
Good thing e-ink isn't like that.
>>
>>123107470
Usually when something gets officially translated the fan translators are made to stop. This is bad because official translations often are poorer in quality, start from the beginning, take a long time to be released, and are occasionally dropped or put on indefinite hiatus with little to no warning.

/a/ may shit on me for saying this but anime dubs are the only "good" translated thing in this hobby niche.
>>
Because English is for peasants, peasant.
>>
>>123108394
>/a/ may shit on me for saying this but anime dubs are the only "good" translated thing in this hobby niche.
>dubs
>not subs
>in 2015
>>
Problem with most "why does /a/" is that you can claim the most outlandish claims about /a/ and most of /a/ will just run with it.

This thread is evidence.
>>
>>123108142
>I grew up reading physical books
As opposed to mental ones?
Everyone grew up reading books, dumbass. E-readers haven't replaced actual books yet, you know.
>>
>>123108466
When I see "why does /a/ X" I always assume it's more like "why do people on /a/ X"

It doesn't mean everyone on /a/, just the people that do.
>>
>>123107633
importing ain't cheap. the import costs is quadruple the price of the manga alone

that being said I'm not defending buying translated mangas/ln, its just that importing is a fucking thievery. for both the consumer and the author.
>>
>>123108435
I totally forgot fansubbing is dead. Thanks for reminding me ;_;
>>
>>123108499
You could just deny anyone on /a/ does it until proven otherwise instead of just saying "well not ALL of /a/ does it!"
>>
>>123108466
thank god for filters
these threads are fucking awful and I'm dumb enough to post in it
time to take my leave
>>
>>123108521
Remember when the Cartel was a thing?
Before it got killed off by simulcasting?
;_;
>>
>>123108554
That's not the point of these threads.
As you can see, people who agree with what the OP is saying come in here to post their opinions. That's all.

No one is implying that everyone or no one no /a/ does "X".
>>
>>123107470
/a/ is full of autists.
>>
>>123108224
Those aren't related. You can understand why you did poorly for a test, but it wouldn't make it any less frustrating.
>>
>>123107470
I don't give a shit about people buying physical localized manga or LNs.

Buying physical localized anime is full retard though.
>>
>>123108588
These threads are just constantly reminding me about that one book I read about the renaissance. Where ancient Greco-Roman text report about human-faced dogs and ancient tree people and then a century or so later a text critiquing it comments that the human-faced dogs are bros and the tree people are fair and honest.
>>
>>123107555
But I want my book about fatalism and anti-sentimentalism to have cute girls in it.
>>
>>123107470
/a/ is full of fucking nerds. Nerds always bitch and nitpick about minor shit.
>>
There are people who legitimately hate that people spend IRL dollars on manga/anime?

It's only worth hating the companies that squash fan translation projects.
>>
>>123108518
Uh, my imports cost me $1-2 extra per volume.
>>
>>123108201
go back to bed gramps
>>
>>123108708
What in God's name are you talking about?
>>
I've got a thousand manga and novels on my shelf, but I read e-versions of them too.

I don't know why someone has to support one or the other, and not be content with both. That being said, I like owning physical copies as much as I can.
>>
>>123108966
People commenting on things that don't exist rather than just coming our and doubting their existence.
>>
>>123108518
>quadruple

It's double at most. And when I buy large bulk (like a hundred at a time) I ship sea, making it only like 50% more than the original cost.

If you're paying quadruple you are doing it wrong. You may need to educate yourself on how to import, how to use proxies, and how to purchase from Japanese stores yourself.
>>
>>123107663
Why wouldn't you want to support authors but not translators, though? I know that there are plenty of people who do it for free as a hobby, but translation is a really tricky thing to do well.
>>
>>123109104
But we argue about shit that doesn't exist all the time. Haven't you seen our powerlevel threads? Or do you mean to imply that the stupid shit we argue about is on the same level as the stupid shit that those ancient wops were arguing about?
>>
>>123109274
don't go meta on me

one is talking about the subject matter
the other is accusing the board of things that may not be true

unless this entire thread was roleplaying.
>>
>not owning the the Dark House Berserk's

i pity the plebs.
>>
>>123109352
>the other is accusing the board of things that may not be true
The OP is not saying everyone on /a/ does this. Just that why do people on /a/ do it.

As in, why do the people who do X, do what they do.
>>
>>123107470
It only takes a month or two to learn enough Japanese to read these kind of works without translation. The fact that someone is still reading translated stuff after a couple of months means they literally aren't even trying.
>>
>>123109239
I don't support localization middlemen because they're often shittier than the fan translations. They also often have shitty packaging/no extras for anime, and they fuck up the covers/use shit materials for books.

Buying physical from Japan for monetary support/buyfagging/archival while having fan translations digitally is the best way to go about things. I have somewhere around 200+ volumes of localized manga, but I'm not satisfied with a lot of them now after recently buying Japanese tankobons. Some of them feel cheap in comparison, specifically anything from Tokyopop and some Viz titles.
>>
I'm in college, so I'm not too motivated to spend so much on my hobbies. I do plan on buying every volume of the big three once they're finished. I don't know if I'll buy other ongoing ones.
>>
Well, if the books I want can be found in the Kinokuniya here, I'll get it.
That was why I bought the 2 english translated Yukikaze books, those were a great read and the 20 over dollar per book was pretty worth it.
>>
>>123107470
Subpar translations for shitty release schedules and censorship.

Also, the less normalfags know about LNs and manga the better. They ruin every goddamn thing they touch.
>>
>>123109153
>all that fucking trouble just to import

Fuck that. Why is it so hard for them to use something like Amazon where Amazon covers the shipping costs?
>>
>>123109691
You don't buy books by the dozens like I do, do you?

If you're just buying a couple of things from Amazon JP, sure.
But if you're buying in batches of $500+, like me, proxy is extremely useful.

I could explain it to you, or I can just tell you to go to a buyfag thread and learn yourself.
>>
>>123109691
Ordering manga sets from Amazon JP is fucking amazing because they calculate shipping by listed items. A 20 volume series sold as a set is one item for instance.

Nip manga prices are cheap compared to their overseas counterparts, even more so if you buy used manga, sometimes as low as 100 yen per book. That's less than a motherfucking US dollar right now.
>>
>>123109796
The manga sets in Amazon marketplace are great, but it does lack flexibility, and often doesn't compare to prices from say, Book Off or other used book stores.

I do buy some batches from Amazon JP market, but I also do a very specific order from Book Off and such, having a consolidated proxy comes in very handy when buying multiple orders, especially from different sources.
They do all the consolidation for you for a small fee, so it's not as much a hassle as the anon above seems to think.
>>
File: 001-8-.jpg (215 KB, 1000x707) Image search: [Google]
001-8-.jpg
215 KB, 1000x707
Because it kills online translation projects, from which the LNs I buy to show my "support", but can't read.
>>
>>123109981
>he reads mahouka
>>
>>123110027
>he doesn't
It's like you are some faggot who doesn't enjoy reading about a scheming, intelligent, superhuman optional superboss character and his harem shenanigans.
>>
what about spanish translation`s?
>>
>>123107470
>buy license
>translate 1 volume
>C&D fan translations
>stop translating after said 1 volume (some will do a few more if you're lucky) but still hold on to licensing and C&D/DMCA shit still
gee I wonder why

If they actually went through with their shit many wouldn't be as angry.
>>
>>123109512
>often shittier than the fan translations

In my experience with scanlations, that's not the case. There are generally more issues with cleaning, more typos, more bad grammar, etc. I have seen official localizations make some questionable translation decisions, but for the most part, saying that scanlations have better translation just means that the translations are more direct--which is actually not always the most ideal way to translate.
>>
I don't read moon so if I want to read LNs that are not online or I want to have manga volumes of one manga I like I buy them in english , simple as that.

Why would I buy moon manga when I can't understand it?
>>
>>123107633
Because people that don't understand japanese actually want to read the damn thing?
>>
File: 1422605925166.jpg (104 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
1422605925166.jpg
104 KB, 1440x810
>>123110335
maybe if it didnt sell like shit they'd make more
>>
>>123109094
Yeah, I started buying more digital stuff after having to move house a couple times. Manga gets heavy once you accumulate a lot of it.

>>123109239
It's worth it for translators like Matt Thorn or Steven Paul, I guess.
>>
>>123107470
A variety of reasons.
>nobody cares if you bought x books, fuck off
>fuck off back to the buyfag thread
>the buyfag thread is for figures only fuck off
>translated??? peasant detected
>stupid dumb EOP scum
>bitterness over shitty publishers: overly delayed releases, no releases at all, bad releases,
>bitterness over cancellations of scanlation projects in a scene that isn't exactly a hive of activity to start with
>le buying anime?? seriously?? LOL xD

I'm sure there are more. It's not one reason. It's a touchy subject. And an easy target
>>
no but for real, the translation in english published manga volumes is usually much better than scans. and formatted properly.
>>
>>123110540
>>the buyfag thread is for figures only fuck off

This is just blatantly incorrect, and if anyone actually says it you can tell them to reinsert their head into their own ass.
>>
>>123107470
Because /a/ is cute little girl
>>
>>123107470
because i am /a/ and i dont like it
>>
>>123108918
Get the fuck off this site and kill yourself
>>
>>123107796
I agree with you. Friends ask me all the time why i waste my money when you can read it online, my only excuse is that i like having it in my hand. Also feels good that you bought it with your own money.
>>
>try to import mango
>cost 6 million yen per book
>have to pay another 10 million yen for shipping
>plus import tax on top

What the fuck /a/, do you think I am Bill Gates or something? I am a poor college student I cant spend 100+ Euro on manga or 500+ Euro on Blu rays.
>>
>>123110616
Personally I think it's unhealthy to look at plastic butts
>>
>>123110306
What about them?
>>
>>123107470
Because they don't just get translated, they get localised and shit all over.
>>
>>123107470
Rather than butthurting I laugh at them for spending their shitty money for shitty things; you can read in the internet for free.
>>
Why do most people look down on reading?
>>
>>123111173
I own plenty of manga that haven't been scanned. I don't get why people are happy to miss out.
>>
>>123111173
So you think no one should ever buy things, and everything you love should cease to exist?
I mean, it's one thing to be a leech, but it's another thing to despite things that's making your hobby able to exist.
>>
>>123111242
Americans are proud to be stupid. It's been like this for years.
If you go to an American highschool, children will literally laugh and think you're "stupid for reading shit instead of spending that time to watch TV".
It's pretty unique to America, and it's really sad.
>>
>>123111550
so it literally went from
>books are for nerds
to
>books are for stupid people
>>
>>123111550
>reading is the opposite of stupid
You are literally retarded. Reading is a hobby with no more merit than watching TV, playing video games, or playing an instrument.

A lot of people don't like reading because it isn't very engaging and is frankly an out-dated medium.
>>
>>123111550
literally how do yuros manage to blame everything on americans?
>>
>>123112000
>it isn't very engaging

shiggy
>>
File: 1426796467161.jpg (30 KB, 328x365) Image search: [Google]
1426796467161.jpg
30 KB, 328x365
>>123110801
This all the fucking way. Buy it with your own money.
>>
>>123112058
It is objectively less engaging than many other hobbies. The only sense it actively engages is sight, whereas watching TV engages sight and sound, playing an instrument engages touch, sound, and maybe sight, etc.
>>
>>123112009
Not the same anon but everyone thinks US citizens(america is a continent) are dumb. And what's sad is that you really are.
>>
>>123112000
>isn't very engaging
You realize that, to read, you have to be far more engaged than you do to enjoy almost any other medium?
>out-dated medium
Okay, um...this is bait, isn't it? Oops. I have fallen for this bait and now I feel stupid. I certainly hope so, at least, because I have a hard time believing that anyone truly thinks that the written word, or even print specifically, is a dated medium.
>>
>>123112242
There's more to a medium's engagement than just the triggering of the senses. We're not just mindless robots consuming information, we have thought and that thought adds whole new elements of engagement.
>>
File: 1411857606541.jpg (5 KB, 152x152) Image search: [Google]
1411857606541.jpg
5 KB, 152x152
>>123112244
What's sad is Europeans giving lectures on things they don't know but think they do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americans

Google is your friend. It'll help you look less dumb the next time you shitpost.
>>
>>123107951
Digital is convenient but don't go shitting on actual books anon just because can't appreciate the wonders of analog.
>>
>>123112000

See, folks, I don't even have to explain why the American youth culture is retarded.
They do the job perfectly fine themselves without any support.

I'm not saying stupidity is an American thing. That's a humanity thing.
However, celebration and PRIDE of stupidity is, oddly, uniquely an American culture thing. It's so weird.
>>
>>123112009
I've never set a foot in Europe, dumb yank.
>>
>>123113081
Like the majority of American white popular culture, it was appropriated from urban blacks:
https://youtu.be/f3PJF0YE-x4?t=2m58s

Now go back to
>>>/int/
>>
>>123107470
because /a/ likes to pretend they are cool and counterculture
>>
>>123113230
Pretty typical.
You talk shit about everyone but USA all the fucking time, but if someone makes says even one post about your country, you cry MEANIE! and point to >>/int/

Every time anything is said about 'murika, you guys reply with rage. It's so fucking funny how you can't ever take the same shit you dish out yourself.
>>
reminder that talking about anime and talking about proust are equally worthless wastes of time because you end up dead in the end anyway
>>
>>123112283
>You realize that, to read, you have to be far more engaged than you do to enjoy almost any other medium?
Source? If you're claim is true, which I doubt, it is probably only because written word is so inefficient at what it does.

>Okay, um...this is bait, isn't it?
No. Reading a book is objectively less efficient than watching film for pleasure or using the internet for information.

>>123112420
>There's more to a medium's engagement than just the triggering of the senses.
It's the only way for an average person to measure engagement.

>we have thought and that thought adds whole new elements of engagement.
And this isn't unique to reading.

>>123113081
>my hobby is better than yours because I'm a pretentious asshole
The only reason you think reading books makes you better than anyone else is because of the cultural connotation leftover from when books were a symbol of status and wealth. It is literally as big a waste of time as watching Chinese cartoons.
>>
>>123113585
So I guess you don't care about aesthetics, just 'efficiency', huh.
>>
>>123107470
It's always bad when things go mainstream, never good.
>>
>>123113585
>I like imagination so I need other people to do it for me
>>
>>123113585
>The only reason you think reading books makes you better than anyone else is because of the cultural connotation leftover from when books were a symbol of status and wealth. It is literally as big a waste of time as watching Chinese cartoons.
It's been scientifically proven to be more beneficial to you compared to visual mediums though as it requires higher levels of engagement from the reader thus exercising their imaginations and improving your data processing, inference and language skills. Reading actually does make you better but the whole my hobby is better than yours deal people wave around is just as valid as the shit taste argument, especially with people who elevate books above all else as if the whole medium boils down to the classics and the not the entire whole of it.
>>
>>123113585
>>my hobby is better than yours because I'm a pretentious asshole
>The only reason you think reading books makes you better than anyone else is because of the cultural connotation leftover from when books were a symbol of status and wealth. It is literally as big a waste of time as watching Chinese cartoons.

But I never said "reading is superior".
I said, dismissing it as inferior is fucking retarded.

>makes you better than anyone else because I do *****
You are the only one doing this, not me.
God, every fucking time you post something, the dumber you sound.
>>
>More western sales
>Jap company start to pander to west
>SJW encroachment similar to /co/ and /v/ start

If anything white people shouldn't be allowed to access manga and anime.

I hope Abe will make Japan nationalist and more xenophobic.
Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.