[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I recently started modelling in 3ds max. I tried Cinema 4d in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: cinema4d.jpg (250 KB, 872x491) Image search: [Google]
cinema4d.jpg
250 KB, 872x491
I recently started modelling in 3ds max.
I tried Cinema 4d in past.

I like both. Cinema4d is easier.

What do you think is better for game object modelling?

Is Blender an alternative? Money doesn't matter. I have a "nearly good paid" job.
>>
C4D is not suited for modelling game models. Easier =/= better. Max is dying and a mess. Blender is.. free, and that's all. if money doesn't matter, get a Maya LT license.

Or be normal and torrent shit until you have to pay for it to publish.
>>
I find 3dsmax to have the most useful tools for inorganic modelling like cars, weapons, robots, architecture and even for some box modelling for characters. For any organic modelling I zbrush then retopo.
>>
>>502788
Thats why I started with 3DS Max.
Cinema4D is more for movies.

I will look at Maya.

>>502790
I just started with 3DS max. I didn't look at all the features yet.
>>
>>502787
Blender is great modelling tool. All you have to do is to learn shortkeys. You can work 30% faster than in 3DS. I was using 3DS MAX for 2 years, then I moved to Maya. Next was MODO and finally Blender. But using Blender without shortkeys is just wasting time. And its viewport has poor performance. But if you are hardsurface modeler Blender is great tool with nice features like: EdgeSlide FillGrid, F2 plugin and more.
>>
>>502787

>ZBrush model image
>>
>>502795

Viewport's being worked on. It's actively discussed at most of the dev meetings.

code.blender.org/author/psy-fi/

I don't know how I lived before F2.
>>
>>502787
What kind of computer does someone need to have such a dense viewport not run like ass?
>>
>>502787
>What do you think is better for game object modelling?
It literally doesnt matter at all, use what you're most comfortable with, but know that C4D is not used much (at all) in the industry
>>
File: 1349555775632.png (299 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1349555775632.png
299 KB, 800x800
>>502788
>Max is dying and a mess

feel when my choice of software

how hard would it be to learn maya with max experience
>>
>>502912
Depends how many objects those are, if that is like just a a few meshes it should run decent on a ~5 year old gaming rig.

perhaps you're unlucky with having a mismatch between GPU and your software. like I have an old ATI Radeon 6870. If the object is a single connected mesh I can handle like a 6 million polygon object in max and still keeping the frame rate above my refresh rate.

If I split the mesh into many transforms I can handle but a fraction of that figure before I run into trouble.
>>
>>503057
Don't listen to that guy, max will survive. There are just way to many max users out there for them to pull a softimage.

>how hard would it be to learn maya with max experience.

Not hard at all, you can pick up maya in like a week. You will hate your life for several months though as you have to learn all of maya's idiosyncrasies while unlearning max's.

In the end you would love maya's rigging but hate it's modelling.
>>
Maya and Blender are good for games. Maya is used more in pro studios, Blender is seeing a lot of support in indie gaming and thus getting more attention from devs.

Max used to be good for gaming but it has become shit due to neglect.
>>
>>503057
It wouldn't be too hard. Maya is pretty easy to get into these days, especially the 2016 versions. And there are a lot of learning resources.

>>503061
> There are just way to many max users out there for them to pull a softimage.
Sure, they're not going to come out an announce "3DS Max, End of Life" any time soon like they did Softimage. But it is clear they are slowing down development drastically and heavily promoting Maya to encourage people to switch until the 3DS Max "paying" userbase drops enough. That paying part is important. While 3DS Max has a huge userbase, a large portion of that is non-paying, generally archviz sand naggers from the middle-east who can't afford it but still profit off of it. Or kids still in school who are making mods and shit with it.
>>
>>502787

blender

always blender
>>
File: 1411749247498.gif (298 KB, 300x199) Image search: [Google]
1411749247498.gif
298 KB, 300x199
>>502788
>Max is dying
>mfw it's the main 3d software in the industry
>>
>>503069
Indian sandnigger here. You have no idea how many american and UK based clients we have in our tiny company. We mostly get simple archvis and lots of rigging jobs which we use mixamo and send back for 150 dollars a piece. I earn 10 times of my actual skill level with the archviz and this stuff.
This is a very profitable deal which works for both ways, so deal with it :^)
>>
>>503203
btw. i find it hilarious but it seems europeans cant work together anymore. we have a client, who waste twice money on malaysian design company when the same time a german designer is begging them to give him a fucking job for 3 years already. they prefer to waste all money on high speed internet connection to the Malaysia (we can talk with our designers in real time shit) to get designs, which dont fit with european culture and style. meanwhile all European design companies around them die due no fucking contracts.
>>
File: faggot-detector-lol_o_917298.jpg (39 KB, 600x412) Image search: [Google]
faggot-detector-lol_o_917298.jpg
39 KB, 600x412
>>503202
>the industry
>>
>>503202
Lol, what makes you think that? The only industry it's the main in now, is archviz, that's it. Pretty much every film or game studio you look to apply to is asking for Maya experience, not Max.
>>
>>503275
I'm sorry to disappoint you but the last 35 job offerts I aw asked for both (Maya OR Max)
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.